2019-2020 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 weeks (21 days) is typical for TMDSAS to match letters with your file and mark them received. Next week after the 28th if no sign, send them a message on the internal messaging function of the TMDSAS site.
Depends on how the letters were sent. Uploaded committee letters are being reflected immediately and transmitted in a day to schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
3 weeks (21 days) is typical for TMDSAS to match letters with your file and mark them received. Next week after the 28th if no sign, send them a message on the internal messaging function of the TMDSAS site.
Thanks! Will my LOR affect my application review?

Depends on how the letters were sent. Uploaded committee letters are being reflected immediately and transmitted in a day to schools.
Mine was a committee letter but from an out of state school which doesn't have direct transmission access to TMDSAS I believe

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was a committee letter but from an out of state school which doesn't have direct transmission access to TMDSAS I believe
Interesting. I thought anyone can submit one as long as you designate them as the submitter?

Yeah anyone can submit but I think my school cant submit through the online portal. They probably had to mail it. I'm not sure.
Interesting. I thought anyone can submit one as long as you designate them as the submitter?

Thanks! Will my LOR affect my application review?

No, a friend and I submitted our secondaries on the same day. Both of our application statuses changed to "under review" two weeks after submission/payment. My letters are in, and their letters aren't in.

Other TX schools do require letters to be in before they start evaluating your application so I would try to get those in as soon as possible

Reactions: 1 user
When registering to do A&M's secondary application do we use our TMDSAS ID# as a username like the other secondary applications?

When registering to do A&M's secondary application do we use our TMDSAS ID# as a username like the other secondary applications?
You can, but it doesn't matter. You will need to input your TMDSAS ID in the A&M secondary itself.

Hey guys,

I have been working on all of my other secondaries up to this point. I just realized that I had never received the secondary email for this school. Thanks to this forum, I now understand that I need to register for it...

Anyways, the question I have is this—is it still worth it to apply?

Hey guys,

I have been working on all of my other secondaries up to this point. I just realized that I had never received the secondary email for this school. Thanks to this forum, I now understand that I need to register for it...

If you're interested in A&M, go for it!
Keep in mind that it takes 5-10 business days for them to verify you submitted the secondary paid the secondary fee before they'll start to review your application.

A&M also requires CASPer (along with UTMB, Long, TT Lubbock, TT El Paso) so if you haven't taken care of that, make sure to do that right away as some of the other schools require CASPer before they will evaluate your application.

Hey guys,

Yes - still fine to do your secondary now!

Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate here is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate here is?

The following is from US New's Grad Compass database. They don't indicate what application year so I would take it more as a ballpark than a specific.

In-state
Applied: 2,273
Interviewed: 628
Accepted: 350 (post-interview acceptance rate: 55.7%)
Enrolled: 120

Out-of-state
Applied: 441
Interviewed: 48
Accepted: 20 (post-interview acceptance rate: 41.7%)
Enrolled: 6

Reactions: 5 users
Is the secondary portal down for anyone else? I wanted to submit today but I keep getting an "internal error."

It's slightly late for Texas, yes. Consider their cycle runs about 30 days ahead of AMCAS. The 2 week thing is really just a rule of thumb, and not a requirement like it is for schools like Mayo or CWRU. I think you're fine to submit still if you're already this far in the process.

I have a couple of secondaries asking me about areas of medicine I'm interested in. I initially thought it meant specialties such as anesthesiologist, surgeon, cardiologist, but other secondaries gave certain categories to speak about when asking areas of medicine your interested in such as rural health, primary care, underserved areas. When being asked about the areas of medicine that interest you what is it referring to? Specialties or healthcare topics such as public and rural health? Not really sure what to put for this secondary for areas of medicine that appeal to me.

Also if I submit my secondary tomorrow am I really late in the cycle to be submitting Texas medical school secondaries? I got my secondary requests for other Texas schools beginning of July didn't see them until 2 weeks ago. Way past the 2 week guild line.
Turn them in when you are happy with them, you are not late for secondaries. You may interpret the “area of medicine” question any way you like. :thumbup:

I have a couple of secondaries asking me about areas of medicine I'm interested in. I initially thought it meant specialties such as anesthesiologist, surgeon, cardiologist, but other secondaries gave certain categories to speak about when asking areas of medicine your interested in such as rural health, primary care, underserved areas. When being asked about the areas of medicine that interest you what is it referring to? Specialties or healthcare topics such as public and rural health? Not really sure what to put for this secondary for areas of medicine that appeal to me.

Also if I submit my secondary tomorrow am I really late in the cycle to be submitting Texas medical school secondaries? I got my secondary requests for other Texas schools beginning of July didn't see them until 2 weeks ago. Way past the 2 week guild line.

I'm way past the 2 weeks too and i keep being neurotic, but no you're probably fine. Earlier is always better but you're not late, it's still early August. Or that's what i tell myself anyways hahahaha :(

II yesterday at 10AM! I am also getting the "internal error" message when I try to RSVP though.

If you're interested in A&M, go for it!
Keep in mind that it takes 5-10 business days for them to verify you submitted the secondary paid the secondary fee before they'll start to review your application.

A&M also requires CASPer (along with UTMB, Long, TT Lubbock, TT El Paso) so if you haven't taken care of that, make sure to do that right away as some of the other schools require CASPer before they will evaluate your application.
Does A&M require CASPer before? I'd rather not submit it and pay the extra $10 if I don't have to

y'all, some of the schools will have a portal error for a day or two when they are updating information, changing your status to complete, or changing your status to Interview Invite.

Give it a day or two to update.
It it's still not working on Tuesday August 6 send them a polite email asking if there is a system problem.

A&M requires a complete CASPER before the interview invite

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning!!
IS applicant
510 MCAT
3.46 GPA

II on Saturday! 512 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. For my average/low GPA friends out there - there's still hope!

Is this a different interview or just a different location?

I think Houston interviews are available for both regular MD and EnMed. The difference is that the EnMed program has 1 interview with someone from the college of medicine and 1 interview with someone from the college of engineering.

I think Houston interviews are available for both regular MD and EnMed. The difference is that the EnMed program has 1 interview with someone from the college of medicine and 1 interview with someone from the college of engineering.
But is there a separate medicine interview or if you are selected for EnMed interview, it is a combination of MD/EnMED all at once? Trying to understand whether not qualifying for EnMED eliminates one from MD also.

But is there a separate medicine interview or if you are selected for EnMed interview, it is a combination of MD/EnMED all at once? Trying to understand whether not qualifying for EnMED eliminates one from MD also.

Oh I see what you are saying. I'm not sure about that. It seems most schools that interview for specialty programs still consider you for just MD if you do not get into the program.

did you guys use up the entire character count for the essays?

they all say "briefly" but they also have the largest character limits on TMDSAS. I'm not trying to fluff it up but at the same time, if brief is the way to go i could cut down on a lot of details and situations

Turn them in when you are happy with them, you are not late for secondaries. You may interpret the “area of medicine” question any way you like. :thumbup:

I have submitted all my secondaries at the same time today. I was having issues logging on for some of the forms earlier in the week. My biggest concern is that on TMDSAS it say 7% get interview invites when submitted in August. I heard stats can make up for it, I have a 3.9 Sgpa and 3.94 Cgpa with and MCAT of 510 which is lower than the median or 25th/10th percentiles of most Texas schools. Along with an, in my opinion, average application, I'm concerned that being complete in August will drastically decrease my chances at an interview invite since many Texas schools start reviewing and sending invites out early June-July it seems.

I have submitted all my secondaries at the same time today. I was having issues logging on for some of the forms earlier in the week. My biggest concern is that on TMDSAS it say 7% get interview invites when submitted in August. I heard stats can make up for it, I have a 3.9 Sgpa and 3.94 Cgpa with and MCAT of 510 which is lower than the median or 25th/10th percentiles of most Texas schools. Along with an, in my opinion, average application, I'm concerned that being complete in August will drastically decrease my chances at an interview invite since many Texas schools start reviewing and sending invites out early June-July it seems.
No worries, @Phantom95 those statistic charts are based on when a person submits their TMDSAS primary app.
Your stats are competitive for any Texas school.

The website says "Each applicant is given two 30-minute traditional interviews and two 5-minute Standardized Patient Exercises (SPE)". But my II email only mentioned the one-on-one interviews. Can someone who already interviewed here confirm if SPEs are part of the interview day or not?

The website says "Each applicant is given two 30-minute traditional interviews and two 5-minute Standardized Patient Exercises (SPE)". But my II email only mentioned the one-on-one interviews. Can someone who already interviewed here confirm if SPEs are part of the interview day or not?

There will be two SPEs. Good luck!

Does anyone have any EnMed-specific stats? I.e. how many OOS people they took last year, how different the GPA/MCAT is for this program vs. general MD stats