2019-2020 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got a very similar vibe while i interviewed there on 11/11. dreary little place. dorms felt like jail cells and as i remember, there were few windows in any of the halls. staircases were loud and unfinished. honestly, i thought the building was pretty dirty inside and out. faculty was WONDERFUL and i did enjoy my interview day. Also, i was very unimpressed with the demo lecture recording that they showed us. it was like 7 years old or something, when the professor had just started teaching there. and honestly, it was not great. im confused why they even showed us this video.
Now i know its possible that my impressions could have been shaped by a number of things, emotions/stress during interview day, a previous acceptance to a school i liked a little more, the long and dreary drive across PA. the motel6 i stayed in.. lol.

can anyone counter my thoughts please? I dont want to turn them down becuase of a poor first impression that could be inaccurate.
Hi! I think it depends on what you want. The tuition is a bit pricey but I really liked the reverse classroom approach since I feel like it suits my learning style the best and I am not wasting time in lecture and then coming home and literally re-learning that information. They really emphasis board prep so I think that could be helpful if you are trying to get into a good residency program and they had a ton of rotation sites in new york, new jersey, Brooklyn, and staten island. I did think the dorms were dreary but I am sure there is good off campus housing elsewhere as well. tbh i liked how everything was in one building since its like everything you need is in one spot and you don't have to go running around campus. I did think middletown was a bit dreary but I liked the school and I really loved the faculty. That was my opinion but then again compare this school and your other school and see what is a better fit for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
i got a very similar vibe while i interviewed there on 11/11. dreary little place. dorms felt like jail cells and as i remember, there were few windows in any of the halls. staircases were loud and unfinished. honestly, i thought the building was pretty dirty inside and out. faculty was WONDERFUL and i did enjoy my interview day. Also, i was very unimpressed with the demo lecture recording that they showed us. it was like 7 years old or something, when the professor had just started teaching there. and honestly, it was not great. im confused why they even showed us this video.
Now i know its possible that my impressions could have been shaped by a number of things, emotions/stress during interview day, a previous acceptance to a school i liked a little more, the long and dreary drive across PA. the motel6 i stayed in.. lol.

can anyone counter my thoughts please? I dont want to turn them down becuase of a poor first impression that could be inaccurate.

they have good board scores and will turn you into a doctor. If you have no other choices, go.

Reactions: 1 user
they have good board scores and will turn you into a doctor. If you have no other choices, go.
i do have another choice. UIWSOM in beautiful sunny san antonio. but.. we are doing this for an education, not for fun... but i just cant get past these downsides of touro. the place just seemed so dreary to me. but on the other hand UIWSOM is a brand new school and has their own issues.

flip a coin? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear! There may be something else on the horizon though! One of my friends got their only interview in late March and ended up matriculating! Thank you also for sharing :) I admire your honesty and transparency
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I still have hope. Worst case scenario, I will end up attending a Caribbean school like two of my cousins did.

i do have another choice. UIWSOM in beautiful sunny san antonio. but.. we are doing this for an education, not for fun... but i just cant get past these downsides of touro. the place just seemed so dreary to me. but on the other hand UIWSOM is a brand new school and has their own issues.

flip a coin? haha

try to revisit both schools if you have the time! I think having an acceptance in hand will really help when making a choice. Talk to the dean of admissions at both schools, get in touch with students, etc. but really make a list of what you want out of a medical school and see which school aligns with that the best.

try to revisit both schools if you have the time! I think having an acceptance in hand will really help when making a choice. Talk to the dean of admissions at both schools, get in touch with students, etc. but really make a list of what you want out of a medical school and see which school aligns with that the best.
I agree with this. I also believe Dr. Cammarata mentioned to us that we can contact the admissions department and shadow a student for a day to see what the average day is like. You can meet students this way and get a better feel of what your time at each school will be like, provided you can do the same at the other schools on your list.

Mr. Rose said 12/9 hasn't been fully reviewed yet, but they're hoping the final review will be completed tomorrow- 1/7.
Thanks so much for the reply! If its fully reviewed tomorrow here's hoping to decisions this week!

It hurt my heart a little but withdrew my acceptance today!! Hope it goes to one of you deserving people! Touro is such a great school!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first interview invitation yesterday, to this school! (Secondary submitted mid October)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted on Friday. Interviewed 11/25. Will be declining so hopefully that opens a spot for someone else!

II today! Complete 8/28/19. Any advice on where to fly into?

II today.

i received an email saying i was still on hold for incomplete rec letters. my rec letters have been in since august but apparently you had to call in to let them know.. just a warning for everybody waiting. it doesn't automatically knock you off hold once your missing stuff comes in.

interviewing feb 3.

Thanks! Also, did the interview day actually conclude at 3:00pm?

Mine was done by 2. Several people at my interview were trying to catch a 3:15 train or bus or something, and they were very respectful of that.

Mine was done by 2. Several people at my interview were trying to catch a 3:15 train or bus or something, and they were very respectful of that.
Thank you! That's great, I am hoping to catch the 3:20 train as well. I'll have a back up plan though, just in case it does run until 3.

i have an interview here in feb and am considering dropping the interview. i have an acceptance to kcumb, marian and kycom right now - 3 amazing schools, and i don't want to waste any more money flying and getting hotels. can someone provide some advice on whether this school is worth it. im also still waiting on hearing back from atsu-kcom, arcom, and albany med. pending interview at atsu-soma right now also along with touro.

i have an interview here in feb and am considering dropping the interview. i have an acceptance to kcumb, marian and kycom right now - 3 amazing schools, and i don't want to waste any more money flying and getting hotels. can someone provide some advice on whether this school is worth it. im also still waiting on hearing back from atsu-kcom, arcom, and albany med. pending interview at atsu-soma right now also along with touro.

KCU is regarded as one of the best DO schools. I would cancel any other future interviews you have unless it was from CCOM, DMU, or PCOM!

KCU is regarded as one of the best DO schools. I would cancel any other future interviews you have unless it was from CCOM, DMU, or PCOM!
Thanks! I applied to pcom (Philadelphia and South Georgia) and ccom midwestern, but not DMU. Thank you!

I would cancel. If I had had acceptances in hand, I would have cancelled mine. Unless there’s some reason why you’re really interested in this school in particular.

just forfeited my interview for feb 3. hope it goes to one of y'all best of luck! trying to save money on flights/hotels/ubers, and i have a few great acceptances!

Just got an II to the Middletown campus! Do you guys know if it would be possible to request an interview for the Harlem campus instead? Does anyone have any experience doing that?

Just got an II to the Middletown campus! Do you guys know if it would be possible to request an interview for the Harlem campus instead? Does anyone have any experience doing that?
I don’t think so. From what I understand it is easier to get into Middletown because it’s seen as a less desirable location and it’s newer, but they have better COMLEX scores. My pre-med advisor told me straight up not to consider Harlem but to take the Middletown interview:

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think so. From what I understand it is easier to get into Middletown because it’s seen as a less desirable location and it’s newer, but they have better COMLEX scores. My pre-med advisor told me straight up not to consider Harlem but to take the Middletown interview:
Okay, thank you!

I initially got an interview at Harlem and then requested that they change it to Middletown. I got an email back minutes later offering me an interview slot at Middletown. This was a while ago though.

Current first year at this school. AMA.

Posting mainly because of comment about depressing school / location: honestly it is not even noticeable when you go to school here. It is a nice, relatively modern school and it is great being inside when it is cold. The schedule is accommodating as well. Middletown area is better than what you see on interview day - drive a bit more in any direction and you feel like a completely new place.

In reference to weird student who likes alternative medicine / was impressed by other schools you had interviews at, every school will have someone like that. Some people here are so smart, the medical school application system is far from perfect. And the school opens the interview day lunch and talking to students to everyone, so it may not have even been a chosen "student representative".

Just my two cents. As for me, I got multiple acceptances to other "better schools" but what makes a school better is based on you, not rankings or what others tell you.

Reactions: 7 users
Do we know if they give information as to how they go about those on the wait list? Do they re-review everyone or do we have a place on the list?

Received an II here on Wednesday, but turned it down since I’m already accepted to an instate school and just not as feasible to go here over it. Hopefully that opens it up for someone else!

Hello everyone,

Also a 1st year here. I wanted to piggy back off of what the other 1st year said regarding the location and the school. The school is an old hospital. Because of that, it looks like an old hospital. If you do some research the history of the old hospital and Middletown in general, it is pretty interesting. ( I think one of our professors was actually born there) That being said, the inside is not too shabby. They also have a very nice anatomy lab, omm lab, and simulation equipment. They also are soon to begin construction and expanding into the other parts of the hospital in order to make room for Physician Assistant students.

As for the post interview driveby of "downtown middletown" and where the school in particular is... Yes, it has seen it's better days. That being said, if you drive 5 minutes in any direction, it is a whole different scene. In one direction, there is a huge mall (the Galleria) that has every store you can think of. The main road that it is on (211) is just a continuation of basically everything also. There are also a ton of Breweries and Wineries with in the middletown area and Greater Hudson Valley. I've been going to a new one almost every single weekend. Two Breweries, ( Clemson Brothers and Equilibrium) are actually right in town and ARE awesome. Now, if you drive 10-15 minutes away, there are also great little towns and beautiful hiking trails/ fishing spots. Last but not least, the area where they had the wood stock music festival is only about 45 minutes away. It is an awesome venue for big name artists when the weather starts to get better.

There also is a very nice looking teaching hospital about 2 miles away from "the campus" called Orange Regional Medical Center. Our Dean is actually on staff there as a pulmonologist and many of our adjunct faculty are affiliated with them as well. A lot of the student do our 3rd year rotations right there and they have all the basic residencies for post-school as well.

In summation, I really wouldn't write off Touro Middletown right away. Although the immediate area may not give you fireworks, the Hudson valley itself is awesome. Our board scores keep improving and doing well and our faculty/ administration are for the most part open to student feedback about the curriculum, etc... I personally had a total of 6 DO acceptances, and decided I fit best at touro Middletown. It really isn't all about prestige of the school, its where you think you can succeed and fit in the most.

Just my two cents

Reactions: 5 users
Do we know if they give information as to how they go about those on the wait list? Do they re-review everyone or do we have a place on the list?
I interviewed here yesterday. One of the other candidates asked about this and Mr. Rose was kind enough to give us some insight on their process. This year they’ve received about 9,000 applications. They plan to extend about 450 interviews and offer 200 acceptances. About 30 seats in their class of ~140 are reserved and guaranteed to candidates who complete their Masters program with a 3.5+ GPA (slightly less than half of their Masters students attain entry in this manner for anyone who is curious). I’m unclear if their 200 acceptances include the candidates from the Masters program. They have a ranked waitlist that experiences movement, sometimes through the last Sunday when before classes start. Mr. Rose recommended letters of intent if you end up on the waitlist because they can influence your position. Hope this helps. I was relieved when he explained all this but didn’t want to be the person to ask!

Also part of me wants to encourage everyone to buy in to the disdain for this campus’s location and facilities, for the sake of leaving more spots open for me, but honestly it seems fine here. It’s rural New York during the winter. The lack of sun and foliage is seasonal.

Has anyone been accepted here without shadowing an osteopathic physician?

Has anyone been accepted here without shadowing an osteopathic physician?
I was accepted and didn't shadow an osteopathic physician. I did speak with one (family member) but he doesn't use OMM in his specialty at all so I don't think it helped me.

Hey guys, interviewing soon and wanted to ask you guys how to answer the "why Middletown" campus besides the location. I can't find solid content for my answer. any help is appreciated.

Hey guys, interviewing soon and wanted to ask you guys how to answer the "why Middletown" campus besides the location. I can't find solid content for my answer. any help is appreciated.

Consistently higher board scores, more rural feeling than Harlem. Honestly, they didn’t ask me why Middletown vs. harlem...

Consistently higher board scores, more rural feeling than Harlem. Honestly, they didn’t ask me why Middletown vs. harlem...

thank you so much. any advice for interview prep? really really want this interview to go well lol.