2019-2020 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota, Duluth

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary yesterday (7/24/19)

Prompts: 800 characters each
- In what ways do you fit the goals of the Duluth medical school program?
- How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community?
- What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice?
- How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine?
- How have your volunteer experiences influenced your life goals?
- Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.
- Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution.
- What does lifelong learning mean to you?
- Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.
- What are your recreational and leisure activities?
- Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?
- Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.
- Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.
- FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?

- How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community?
- What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice?
- Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.
- Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution.
- Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.
- Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?
- Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.
- Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.
- FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?
Sweet Jesus. What is up with UMTC/UMD having such grueling secondaries?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really scratching my head on this one: - "Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution?"

I think everyone has had a moment where honesty was being tempered, and everyone is compassionate at one point or another, but both together? I guess if you had to give a patient very bad news, but how many undergraduates have had that encounter? Thoughts?

Do you have to answer all of them or do you pick some of them? If it's all, that's sort of ridiculous...

Rejected today. Disappointed but kinda not surprised, I'm from the cities and want to go into psychiatry which doesn't really match their mission statement. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just a bit ago. Minnesota resident. Like @Sparkletree I don't think I fit their mission and obviously they saw that too, even though I spent my entire childhood in rural MN. How much truth is there there to the whole yield protection thing? In the rejection email they stated that their average MCAT is a 506 - I scored a 514.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected just a bit ago. Minnesota resident. Like @Sparkletree I don't think I fit their mission and obviously they saw that too, even though I spent my entire childhood in rural MN. How much truth is there there to the whole yield protection thing? In the rejection email they stated that their average MCAT is a 506 - I scored a 514.

I scored a 514 too! From what I’ve been told they mainly focus on admitting people who’ve demonstrated an interest in family medicine and have experience living in rural Minnesota communities, and don’t care as much about scores (high or low). I doubt yield protection plays too much of a role.

Add me to the rejection list! Got the email yesterday early afternoon. Top choice so I'm pretty disappointed. OOS so I knew it was a stretch considering there are so few OOS candidates that actually get accepted.

II yesterday! Sorry to hear from everyone who has rejections already, but like you guys said I think they're just super picky with the whole rural MN/family medicine thing so don't get too down about it.

II yesterday! Sorry to hear from everyone who has rejections already, but like you guys said I think they're just super picky with the whole rural MN/family medicine thing so don't get too down about it.
Stats and completion date?

Stats and completion date?
LizzyM 69, complete 7/24. I really don't think stats are a very high priority for them, my MCAT is well above their average but for the first two years I applied I was rejected. Shadowed a rural family physician this past year who's a UMD alum and she wrote me a letter so I'm sure that's my ticket.

II yesterday! Complete 8/28

Rejected pre II (OOS). Good luck with the rest of the app cycle everyone! :)

• Sad
Anyone completed late July/ early August and not heard anything yet?? Does UMD send out rejections as they go or mass reject everyone at the end?

Wow just received an II! OOS with strong IS-ties. Hope to see some of you there on interview day (~2nd week of Nov)!

Rejected a few days ago. OOS with strong ties (grew up in rural MN, all of my family still there). Lower stats though.

Good luck to you all!

Reading through last year's thread, the consensus seemed to be that admissions start to freeze around mid-november interviews with all interviewees placed on a waitlist moving forward after the initial acceptance max has been reached. Can anyone else confirm that this is still the style of admissions Duluth uses or am I misinformed?

Submitted my secondary the other day and received a rejection the next day. OOS with a strong interest in family medicine and practicing in a rural community far from home. MCAT and GPA on par with average. Good luck to those that interview.

• Sad
did you happen to receive an email regarding the extension of their secondary submission deadline? i let go of UMD in late august/before labor day but was planning on finishing my secondary after that email...used to live in central MN near st. cloud and even went to high school there before moving OOS...

I did not, they seem like they were aggressively done with me after the snarkiest rejection email I have received. They had no problem taking my $100 and running away.

I just withdrew my application so I am hoping this helps some of you waiting for interviews or waitlists.
Acceptance 11/19
Interview: 10/13
IS

Reactions: 2 users
I just withdrew my application so I am hoping this helps some of you waiting for interviews or waitlists.
Acceptance 11/19
Interview: 10/13
IS
Did you possibly interview 10/14? 10/13 was a Sunday. I interviewed 10/14 and still haven't heard anything