2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's so sad how I wake up every morning super depressed and have to rock back and forth going "it's still early, it's still early, it's still early!!!!"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
It's so sad how I wake up every morning super depressed and have to rock back and forth going "it's still early, it's still early, it's still early!!!!"

Hi, relax my friend. You got this <3 A lot of us are in the same shoes as you waiting for good news, but we will ALL get there eventually :')

Reactions: 4 users
II just now!! My first one!
Obligatory stats: IS, ORM, 3.84, 518, complete 7/10

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II. First one of the cycle.
3.9, 518, complete 7/10

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II! First one as well!! IS, ORM 3.8, 517, complete 7/8 - earliest available interview date was 10/15 from what I saw, and a couple more slots the following days

• Love
II! My first one also!
IS, ORM, 3.86, 518, Complete 7/11

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t USC the school that has each adcom review all applicants with the same score? Or did I make that up?
I believe they assign people to read apps with a specific MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
"Raquel D. Arias, associate dean of admissions at Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, explains, “In order to give every candidate a fair review of their personal qualities and accomplishments, a single screener evaluates all candidates with a particular MCAT score at our school. This controls for the inevitable influence that this important test has on the process. An admissions officer reads every application submitted to the school.” (There is no automated filter.)"

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Well, guess they passed by mine? The earliest interview is mid-October so they've definitely given out a good portion of their interviews, everyone including URM/ORM, LM higher and lower than mine, IS/OOS, NorCal/SoCal, WARS higher or lower, etc all have been covered in terms of II recipients.

They do hold interviews until March, so I guess they may do a second run-through of the apps? But even so, this makes me nervous for more competitive schools.

Well, guess they passed by mine? The earliest interview is mid-October so they've definitely given out a good portion of their interviews, everyone including URM/ORM, LM higher and lower than mine, IS/OOS, NorCal/SoCal, WARS higher or lower, etc all have been covered in terms of II recipients.

They do hold interviews until March, so I guess they may do a second run-through of the apps? But even so, this makes me nervous for more competitive schools.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm honestly really not sure how this cycle is going to turn out for me. Definitely not what I expected!

I'm really trying to resist the urge to give up on Keck lol. I put my heart and soul into this secondary, born and raised right down the street, but alas, no love.

congrats to everyone getting IIs though!!

• Love
"Raquel D. Arias, associate dean of admissions at Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, explains, “In order to give every candidate a fair review of their personal qualities and accomplishments, a single screener evaluates all candidates with a particular MCAT score at our school. This controls for the inevitable influence that this important test has on the process. An admissions officer reads every application submitted to the school.” (There is no automated filter.)"

I wonder if this holds for the upper limit like 527/528...I'd like to be paid to be that screener if so :laugh:

I know it sucks to wait, but I would definitely try to be patient. For reference, last year I submitted early August and got an interview over a month later. I checked, and plenty of people who submitted after me getting earlier interviews. And like was mentioned, theyre only at October and interview into Feb/March. I'm sure that no one has been deliberately passed over-who knows exactly what order the apps are reviewed in!

so does that mean someone with a lower score (513-514) still has a shot? went to keck for Ugrad, definitely my #1 choice, and am slightly worried about their weird MSAR MCAT ranges...
Got an II with a 511, so yes

Reactions: 4 users
So crazy how on MSAR the average MCAT is 516, but my score of 514 isn't even in their 25th percentile range.

I still have some hope, but am slowly losing it. :(

I still have some hope, but am slowly losing it. :(
I mean 25% of people accepted have your MCAT or lower so there is a bit of hope :)

I'm in the same boat (but with strong ties to USC) so we shall see...

I mean 25% of people accepted have your MCAT or lower so there is a bit of hope :)

I'm in the same boat (but with strong ties to USC) so we shall see...

Nah I'm just being insecure. It's still possible to recieve an interview especially since i'm also local. I went to UCLA, so that may be a huge hit to my app (kidding)

Fun fact, 20% of USC's incoming class was from UCLA last year. I didn't expect that.

R on 7/22 :( Submitted 7/4 and actually interviewed and got WL last cycle. Anyone else get an R that fast?

• Sad
R on 7/22 :( Submitted 7/4 and actually interviewed and got WL last cycle. Anyone else get an R that fast?

Did you do anything to improve your application since last cycle?

Maybe they plan on letting you off the waitlist so gave you the R for this cycle

congrats!! When were u complete? :')
2nd week of July, turned the secondary in right under 2 weeks of receiving it

Submitted primary though the day it was sent to schools (June 25ish)

What were your stats and are you URM?
I don't like to post my exact stats because I have an unhealthy habit of comparing myself to others, but I am slightly above median scGPA, cGPA, and MCAT and I am an URM.

Wtf?? It was 100% the if you had the power essay... I swear
Wow okay I'm not crazy then?! The "if you had the power" essay had a slightly different wording than past years so I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I got this prompt from lol. Makes more sense, but not a cool move.

Excitedly answered a call from a 323 area code number this morning (same as USC). Darn you, telemarketer :L

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I feel like a ton of interviews have already been given out.

Everyone should relax (easier said than done). My friend who got into USC last year (3.8, 520 retake) was only complete by mid-September. So while there have been interviews given out, there are still plenty more to go around.

Do you think they would update status in a reasonable amount of time or wait until November to give the axe?

I got a II on 7/22, same day I turned in my secondary. I was so shocked (still am) that I completely forgot to post on here.

Reactions: 5 users