2019-2020 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - San Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

Even if I have not received an email from Long saying that my application has been received, should I assume they have my app and are reviewing it if my TMDSAS app says it's been transmitted to schools?

My CASPER results and LORs are all sent also. I'm sure I'm being a bit paranoid, but I really would love to go to Long SOM so I just wanted to ask

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if I have not received an email from Long saying that my application has been received, should I assume they have my app and are reviewing it if my TMDSAS app says it's been transmitted to schools?

My CASPER results and LORs are all sent also. I'm sure I'm being a bit paranoid, but I really would love to go to Long SOM so I just wanted to ask
8,188 people started (not submitted) their TMDSAS applications in May 2019, the biggest number ever.***Clarification this number is total Medical, Dental, and Veterinary applicants in the month of May. Surprised how many Dent and Vet applicants there must be!***

Long SOM is one of the most transparent schools telling about their process, take a look: Admissions process overview
They don't begin interviews until August, but will make interview invites 2-4 weeks in advance and interview through December
Interviews are not done in order of App submission date.

So, @DracoDormiens I know you are so eager to hear something but don't worry and settle in for the long haul.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
8,188 people submitted their TMDSAS applications in May 2019, the biggest number ever.
Long SOM is one of the most transparent schools telling about their process, take a look: Admissions process overview
They don't begin interviews until August, but will make interview invites 2-4 weeks in advance and interview through December
Interviews are not done in order of App submission date.

So, @DracoDormiens I know you are so eager to hear something but don't worry and settle in for the long haul.

8,188 in MAY ALONE? There was a TOTAL of roughly 5,800 in the ENTIRE 2018 CYCLE per the TMDSAS end of the year statistics! Surely I'm dreaming, right..? This would mean there were ~2,300 more applications sent in last May alone than in the entire 2018 application cycle. I'm thankful last year's cycle was kind to me. Applying now will be more difficult than ever if there truly was that large of a jump in applicant numbers - especially considering the GPA/MCAT inflation trend that seems to be occurring throughout the state.

8,188 in MAY ALONE? There was a TOTAL of roughly 5,800 in the ENTIRE 2018 CYCLE per the TMDSAS end of the year statistics! Surely I'm dreaming, right..? This would mean there were ~2,300 more applications sent in last May alone than in the entire 2018 application cycle. I'm thankful last year's cycle was kind to me. Applying now will be more difficult than ever if there truly was that large of a jump in applicant numbers - especially considering the GPA/MCAT inflation trend that seems to be occurring throughout the state.
I just saw this chart posted by TMDSAS and I'm sorry about not double-checking the numbers.
You are right, last year total Med applicants were only 5800. And the chart shows applications "Started", not "submitted".

The 8188 in May is total Medical, Dental and Veterinary. I'll find out the Med numbers.

Last edited:
I just saw this chart posted by TMDSAS and I'm sorry about not double-checking the numbers.
You are right, last year total Med applicants were only 5800.
The 8188 in May is total Medical, Dental and Veterinary. I'll find out the Med numbers.

I damn near had a heart attack on behalf of this year's applicants. Nonetheless, may the odds be ever in your favor, everyone.

katniss.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all
I apologize again for the freak-out effect.:oops:
I intended to say that TMDSAS is processing an avalanche of applications and that it's normal not to hear from schools for a couple of months even if your app has been transmitted.
The graph only shows # of people who "started" their applications, not # who submitted.
Submitting by July is best. Submitting in May, June, July are all considered timely.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all
I apologize again for the freak-out effect.:oops:
I intended to say that TMDSAS is processing an avalanche of applications and that it's normal not to hear from schools for a couple of months even if your app has been transmitted.
The graph only shows # of people who "started" their applications, not # who submitted.
Submitting by July is best. Submitting in May, June, July are all considered timely.
The relative difference is 300 from last year but it is 2000 from 2016. How do they compare to final application numbers?

Is this rapid increase in line with Amcas or is it more OOS students taking their shot in Texas?

Has anyone received confirmation that their primary application was received? I see they sent out an email in years past.

Has anyone received confirmation that their primary application was received? I see they sent out an email in years past.

Yes. My primary app transmitted 5/23 and I received a confirmation of receipt from UTSW on 5/24, which included a link to the secondary, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are behind, haven't sent out receipt emails. Said all primaries have been received and not to worry.

Got a receipt email. Transmitted 5/13. Supporting documentation submitted 6/7.

Reactions: 5 users
I got a receipt email as well, I am still missing 2 letters and 1 community college transcript though.

I received the same e-mail yesterday. Complete/transmitted 6/12.

Does Long send under review emails or just the receipt email?

Does Long send under review emails or just the receipt email?
It is a received email, but talks about being under review. They do not review until they receive MCAT scores.

It is a received email, but talks about being under review. They do not review until they receive MCAT scores.

How long does it take to receive an under review email? My application was transmitted 5/25 and I received something from all schools except Long and UTMB...

How long does it take to receive an under review email? My application was transmitted 5/25 and I received something from all schools except Long and UTMB...
I don't think that they send an under review email, just a received one - but I got the received one ~25 days after submitting

I transmitted on June 12th, got the receipt email from Long on June 20th. The email is from LongSOM@

Double check to make sure that your MCAT is in TMDSAS.

Current MS3 at Long happy to answer any questions!

Current MS3 at Long happy to answer any questions!

kind of broad but what is something you really dislike about the program? and one thing you really like?

Do you remember when they start sending out invites?

You can check last cycle's school specific thread to see when they started sending out invites.

kind of broad but what is something you really dislike about the program? and one thing you really like?
Very few dislikes- we have a shorter MS1 summer than many other schools (just one month).
One thing that is often underappreciated by applicants on the interview trail is our time off between second and third year- we finish in February of MS2, and don't have to start up MS3 until July- you can do whatever you want with that time, take as long as you want to study for Step 1, travel, do research, do early rotations to open up time in MS3/MS4, etc. I didn't realize how clutch it was until I experienced it!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if we can send CASPer results after getting an interview or do we need to send them before we can even receive an interview?

Does anyone know if we can send CASPer results after getting an interview or do we need to send them before we can even receive an interview?

"Long School of Medicine will be using the CASPer as an additional component of the application to LSOM. This tool will not be used for interview selections. All applicants who are invitied to interview must submit a CASPer score to the Long SOM as close to the date of the interview as possible." ^This is what it said in the email saying they received my application.

Last year they went out 7/22 the year before 7/27, year before that 7/20

Still haven’t gotten confirmation that they’ve received my app. Been almost 4 weeks...
They just had the White Coat Ceremony for their incoming class on July 20, so after that all-hands-on-deck event and getting the students set for the year, their attention can soon return to new applications. I think it won't be too much longer, y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I think they did a mass release of confirmations unless this was done for others in the past already.

Does anyone know if we're supposed to get another confirmation email for MD/PhD after AMCAS verification if we already got one for MD after TMDSAS transmission?

Does anyone know if we're supposed to get another confirmation email for MD/PhD after AMCAS verification if we already got one for MD after TMDSAS transmission?
Are you applying to them individually or is that the requirement? I would think MSTP should their own emails.

I was transmitted 7/18 and just got confirmation today.

Transmitting 6/25 i think and got confirmation today.

since 7/18 also got confirmed, I'm guessing it was a mass email. If yours hasn't been marked as received maybe wait a day or two and then send over an email