Jul 26, 2018
Even if I have not received an email from Long saying that my application has been received, should I assume they have my app and are reviewing it if my TMDSAS app says it's been transmitted to schools?

My CASPER results and LORs are all sent also. I'm sure I'm being a bit paranoid, but I really would love to go to Long SOM so I just wanted to ask

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Even if I have not received an email from Long saying that my application has been received, should I assume they have my app and are reviewing it if my TMDSAS app says it's been transmitted to schools?

My CASPER results and LORs are all sent also. I'm sure I'm being a bit paranoid, but I really would love to go to Long SOM so I just wanted to ask
8,188 people started (not submitted) their TMDSAS applications in May 2019, the biggest number ever.***Clarification this number is total Medical, Dental, and Veterinary applicants in the month of May. Surprised how many Dent and Vet applicants there must be!***

Long SOM is one of the most transparent schools telling about their process, take a look: Admissions process overview
They don't begin interviews until August, but will make interview invites 2-4 weeks in advance and interview through December
Interviews are not done in order of App submission date.

So, @DracoDormiens I know you are so eager to hear something but don't worry and settle in for the long haul.

Last edited:
Reactions: DracoDormiens

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
8,188 people submitted their TMDSAS applications in May 2019, the biggest number ever.
Long SOM is one of the most transparent schools telling about their process, take a look: Admissions process overview
They don't begin interviews until August, but will make interview invites 2-4 weeks in advance and interview through December
Interviews are not done in order of App submission date.

So, @DracoDormiens I know you are so eager to hear something but don't worry and settle in for the long haul.
8,188 in MAY ALONE? There was a TOTAL of roughly 5,800 in the ENTIRE 2018 CYCLE per the TMDSAS end of the year statistics! Surely I'm dreaming, right..? This would mean there were ~2,300 more applications sent in last May alone than in the entire 2018 application cycle. I'm thankful last year's cycle was kind to me. Applying now will be more difficult than ever if there truly was that large of a jump in applicant numbers - especially considering the GPA/MCAT inflation trend that seems to be occurring throughout the state.

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
8,188 in MAY ALONE? There was a TOTAL of roughly 5,800 in the ENTIRE 2018 CYCLE per the TMDSAS end of the year statistics! Surely I'm dreaming, right..? This would mean there were ~2,300 more applications sent in last May alone than in the entire 2018 application cycle. I'm thankful last year's cycle was kind to me. Applying now will be more difficult than ever if there truly was that large of a jump in applicant numbers - especially considering the GPA/MCAT inflation trend that seems to be occurring throughout the state.
I just saw this chart posted by TMDSAS and I'm sorry about not double-checking the numbers.
You are right, last year total Med applicants were only 5800. And the chart shows applications "Started", not "submitted".

The 8188 in May is total Medical, Dental and Veterinary. I'll find out the Med numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: fickled

BonesAndBourbon

Facts > Feelings
Nov 14, 2018
Lone Star State
Status
Medical Student
I just saw this chart posted by TMDSAS and I'm sorry about not double-checking the numbers.
You are right, last year total Med applicants were only 5800.
The 8188 in May is total Medical, Dental and Veterinary. I'll find out the Med numbers.
I damn near had a heart attack on behalf of this year's applicants. Nonetheless, may the odds be ever in your favor, everyone.

katniss.jpg

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Hey y'all
I apologize again for the freak-out effect.:oops:
I intended to say that TMDSAS is processing an avalanche of applications and that it's normal not to hear from schools for a couple of months even if your app has been transmitted.
The graph only shows # of people who "started" their applications, not # who submitted.
Submitting by July is best. Submitting in May, June, July are all considered timely.

texasvandy

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2014
Hey y'all
I apologize again for the freak-out effect.:oops:
I intended to say that TMDSAS is processing an avalanche of applications and that it's normal not to hear from schools for a couple of months even if your app has been transmitted.
The graph only shows # of people who "started" their applications, not # who submitted.
Submitting by July is best. Submitting in May, June, July are all considered timely.
The relative difference is 300 from last year but it is 2000 from 2016. How do they compare to final application numbers?

Reactions: thegrind33

Etopn23

7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received confirmation that their primary application was received? I see they sent out an email in years past.

Aug 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received confirmation that their primary application was received? I see they sent out an email in years past.
Yes. My primary app transmitted 5/23 and I received a confirmation of receipt from UTSW on 5/24, which included a link to the secondary, too.

Reactions: Etopn23

Etopn23

7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
They are behind, haven't sent out receipt emails. Said all primaries have been received and not to worry.