2019-2020 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys have issues filling out the scholarship application?

I got a warning that a field was incomplete but I checked and it was all filled out.o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Any ideas why McGovern suddenly is unranked for the 2021 USN&W rankings? I assume it’s because the school didn’t respond to the survey. but was this on purpose/to make a statement? Even though the rankings are not informational about quality of the medical education, it does affect reputation and therefore matching so I am a slightly concerned.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it will really matters. Once your in your in. Wonder though when they are going to start letting people know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any ideas why McGovern suddenly is unranked for the 2021 USN&W rankings? I assume it’s because the school didn’t respond to the survey. but was this on purpose/to make a statement? Even though the rankings are not informational about quality of the medical education, it does affect reputation and therefore matching so I am a slightly concerned.

No idea why they did/did not respond to US News rankings. Regardless, it won't make any real difference in reputation or match. Programs are pretty familiar with the type of student that comes from our school, and PDs don't look at US News every year when evaluating candidates lol. Our students had a pretty strong match list. We have no shortage of people going into Ortho, Derm, Ophtho, etc. Wouldn't worry about it for even a second, you can go anywhere from McGovern.

Reactions: 2 users
Because USNWR is lame lol

Is any movement possible in April for TMDSAS schools? (considering pandemic situation and AMCAS April 30 deadline)

Is any movement possible in April for TMDSAS schools? (considering pandemic situation and AMCAS April 30 deadline)
Yes and it will probably start pretty soon, especially if some OOS people might drop a Texas school for an AMCAS school.
We also have a fair number of Texans who right now hold a Baylor + a TMDSAS offer and will need to choose soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody straight up been rejected post-interview, or are we all in the same waiting-game boat right now?

Has anybody straight up been rejected post-interview, or are we all in the same waiting-game boat right now?
I think we’re all in the same boat and waitlisted if we got interviewed. Anyone know how many people were taken off the waitlist from last year?

Yes and it will probably start pretty soon, especially if some OOS people might drop a Texas school for an AMCAS school.
We also have a fair number of Texans who right now hold a Baylor + a TMDSAS offer and will need to choose soon.
Would you happen to know how many are in the position you describe above. Losing hope.

Would you happen to know how many are in the position you describe above. Losing hope.
There are 16 such creatures among the ones who post on SDN alone. SDN is a small fraction of premeds. You have another 2 months to hang in there, while maybe starting to rewrite your essays in case no good news comes your way.

• Love
You and I are exactly in the same position. This is really very stressful, but I guess I can start pouring my energy into reworking my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if McGovern gives OOS students a scholarship so they basically pay in-state tuition? I know UTSW does that for all of its OOS students

Does anyone know if McGovern gives OOS students a scholarship so they basically pay in-state tuition? I know UTSW does that for all of its OOS students
Yeah OOS students basically get a waiver so nobody here pays OOS tuition

Withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to anyone still waiting, hope it goes to one of yall

Wow just got the call I got accepted off the waitlist!

Reactions: 12 users
IS, just withdrew! best of luck

Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted off the waitlist!!! For anyone else out there with another offer, does anyone know if the April 30th and narrowing down to one school applies for this situation? I was expecting to have more time to make a decision between McGovern and this other program than one day

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted off the waitlist!!! For anyone else out there with another offer, does anyone know if the April 30th and narrowing down to one school applies for this situation? I was expecting to have more time to make a decision between McGovern and this other program than one day

Congrats!! The email they sent you should list the timing you are given to decide. The email I got said 5 business days. That would be a lot of pressure to to have to decide by tomorrow lol.

Congrats!! The email they sent you should list the timing you are given to decide. The email I got said 5 business days. That would be a lot of pressure to to have to decide by tomorrow lol.
Yes you now have one acceptance, correct, @emustenz ? Within the 5 days decide and then you would need to give your answer to the offering school. If you say yes you will then need to call or email your former school directly and withdraw.

Yes you now have one acceptance, correct, @emustenz ? Within the 5 days decide and then you would need to give your answer to the offering school. If you say yes you will then need to call or email your former school directly and withdraw.
Yes, I have narrowed my list down to one other formal acceptance, plus the waitlist acceptance from McGovern!

Congrats!

Did anyone in here have any issues by not submitting an SAT score to TMDSAS. Ive called multiple customer services to attempt to find the exact score but cant seem to find it. Is it okay if I just put NO even though I have taken the SAT?

Did anyone in here have any issues by not submitting an SAT score to TMDSAS. Ive called multiple customer services to attempt to find the exact score but cant seem to find it. Is it okay if I just put NO even though I have taken the SAT?
Do you think your mother still has it, or if she isn't the type to keep everything, could you get in touch with your HS counselor?

Do you think your mother still has it, or if she isn't the type to keep everything, could you get in touch with your HS counselor?
Nope, she doesnt. Ive called my undergrad school and even college board, both dont have it. I called applytexas also but they said I need to pay 31 dollars to view it due to it being in their archive. Is it a big deal for me not put an SAT score?

Nope, she doesnt. Ive called my undergrad school and even college board, both dont have it. I called applytexas also but they said I need to pay 31 dollars to view it due to it being in their archive. Is it a big deal for me not put an SAT score?
I can't believe you don't have that score someplace! Note in the handbook that it says you must enter a score if you took the test.
Starting now, keep a cheat sheet of all your logins and passwords, there will be many coming up this year!

Last edited:
Withdrawing my A from here, good luck to everyone on the WL!!

Is anyone else having difficulty accessing the application portal? I am currently on the waitlist and every time I go to the portal, which looks a lot different than what I remembered, my login credentials don't work anymore. I'm probably making a stupid mistake on my end and was just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Is anyone else having difficulty accessing the application portal? I am currently on the waitlist and every time I go to the portal, which looks a lot different than what I remembered, my login credentials don't work anymore. I'm probably making a stupid mistake on my end and was just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.
I think it's a different website with different credentials than the site we used throughout the application process. I haven't received credentials for it yet from McGovern, but I have an email saying that they'll give access in June? Are you talking about the ApplyUTH website/portal? I think the original website we had access to was applytoms.uth.tmc.edu? It is sorta confusing, and I'm not entirely sure why there are two.

I think it's a different website with different credentials than the site we used throughout the application process. I haven't received credentials for it yet from McGovern, but I have an email saying that they'll give access in June? Are you talking about the ApplyUTH website/portal? I think the original website we had access to was applytoms.uth.tmc.edu? It is sorta confusing, and I'm not entirely sure why there are two.
Thank you so much for clarifying that out. I was talking about the ApplyUTH website being weird and not accepting my credentials for the applytoms.uth.tmc.edu site. I didn't receive an email about them giving access to the ApplyUTH site but maybe that's cause I'm still on the waitlist. Either way, thanks again for providing the applytoms.uth.tmc.edu website.

Thank you so much for clarifying that out. I was talking about the ApplyUTH website being weird and not accepting my credentials for the applytoms.uth.tmc.edu site. I didn't receive an email about them giving access to the ApplyUTH site but maybe that's cause I'm still on the waitlist. Either way, thanks again for providing the applytoms.uth.tmc.edu website.
Absolutely! I still don't have credentials for the ApplyUTH website, for what that's worth. : ) It is confusing, as they are both "apply" websites, haha. Good luck! Where are you hoping to end up?

Absolutely! I still don't have credentials for the ApplyUTH website, for what that's worth. : ) It is confusing, as they are both "apply" websites, haha. Good luck! Where are you hoping to end up?
McGovern would be the perfect place so hoping a lot of waitlist movement happens, what about you?

McGovern would be the perfect place so hoping a lot of waitlist movement happens, what about you?
I am super lucky to have an acceptance from McGovern. Hopefully we'll be classmates in the fall!!

Anyone hear anything from UTH since Apr 30th. (Silence since interview except WL notification for me.)