2019-2020 Wake Forest

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For the question "Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it," I was planning on talking about my lack of programming experience coming out of college and needing it for my current work. Would this be an appropriate answer or do you think this is considered academic?
 
Should I receive a complete email after submitting my secondary if my Casper score isn't in? Or only once it is in? I submitted secondary on 7/20 but haven't heard back. Took Casper on 7/30.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the question "Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it," I was planning on talking about my lack of programming experience coming out of college and needing it for my current work. Would this be an appropriate answer or do you think this is considered academic?
If you learned it on your own via youtube videos and troubleshooting then I don't think it's academic and it's a great story to use! Programming is an extremely useful skill that transfers with you to ANY field. I'm a (novice) bioinformatician, I didn't use programming for this questions but I did for others. If you don't use it for this one make sure to sneak it in somewhere else. Professors love a student that can get their hands dirty with all their computer science problems and fix things. It's problem solving. Use it. MILK it.
 
If you learned it on your own via youtube videos and troubleshooting then I don't think it's academic and it's a great story to use! Programming is an extremely useful skill that transfers with you to ANY field. I'm a (novice) bioinformatician, I didn't use programming for this questions but I did for others. If you don't use it for this one make sure to sneak it in somewhere else. Professors love a student that can get their hands dirty with all their computer science problems and fix things. It's problem solving. Use it. MILK it.

Thanks! Yeah, I spammed this mostly for my diversity essay lol, but since Wake didn't have one, I thought I could squeeze this in here. I initially took an online course on Coursera and read PDFs, but I began to fully grasp the concept when I incorporated it for an independent research project I am currently working on. It has taught me to become more hands-on and think outside of the box in terms of different ways to solve a problem. Just wanted to double-check if it was academic (reading this question, I thought of academic as like a bad grade in a class or a low score on the MCAT)
 
I'm not concerned about how early it is in the cycle. Moreso about the huge gap between submitting my secondary and realizing that it wasn't complete. Worried it might show a lack of interest... hopefully they won't even notice :whistle:
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I am a current M1 at Wake and I got my secondary like two months before I actually submitted it last cycle. I submitted on like the last week possible, which at the time people were already getting accepted here. Don't worry
 
Just got a complete email, submitted secondary 7/20. I guess my Casper was graded in just 2 weeks! (took it on 7/30)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those stats thooo... where's your top choice? congrats on the double digit early August II's lol
Yeah... why did you apply to so many schools? I thought I was applying to a lot
At this point I might as well add it to my signature 🤣 but it was a case of severe under-confidence.

In terms of my top choice, there's honestly so many good schools I can't pick yet. I want to see where (if) I get in first.
 
II! Anyone else interviewing 9/11?? Submitted 7/1 but wasn't complete until 7/22 ish due to CASPER. Does anyone know if they offer housing and which airport to fly to?
I will be there! In terms of airports, there is a Winston-Salem one (Smith-Reynolds) and one in Charlotte (about 1 hour away). They also said there are discounted hotel rates in the confirmation email.
 
I will be there! In terms of airports, there is a Winston-Salem one (Smith-Reynolds) and one in Charlotte (about 1 hour away). They also said there are discounted hotel rates in the confirmation email.

Will there be affordable uber if i fly to charlotte..?
 
I live nearby and Wake is an hour and a half to Charlotte. It would be closer to fly into Greensboro if that is an option! Congrats btw!
Agree with Greensboro. If you can't get a flight into GSO I highly recommend RDU - on paper it's a little farther than Charlotte but Charlotte has some of the worst traffic so it almost always takes longer than RDU.
 
Agree with Greensboro. If you can't get a flight into GSO I highly recommend RDU - on paper it's a little farther than Charlotte but Charlotte has some of the worst traffic so it almost always takes longer than RDU.
RDU is also just a great airport. Though far from WS comparatively...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II on 8/8!! But my situation was a little different. They called to tell me they wanted to extend an interview but only had the 8/28 date available. Obviously i'm free so I said yes, but now i'm wondering what would have happened if i couldn't make that date? are they trying to ensure all interview dates are full before opening the next slots?
Probably. After contacting an admissions director to reschedule one of my DO interviews, she informed me that they only had one date left in late August, but that they would open up more dates soon. Same situation I assume.
 
So for the required questions, it says not to mention either grades or mcat scores. However, for the optional questions, there is nothing to indicate that. Do y’all think it’s okay to mention mcat/grade stuff in the optional questions if it’s relevant?
 
So for the required questions, it says not to mention either grades or mcat scores. However, for the optional questions, there is nothing to indicate that. Do y’all think it’s okay to mention mcat/grade stuff in the optional questions if it’s relevant?
I took it to mean don't mention it for all of the questions. I think if you want to talk about an MCAT score increase, just say that rather than saying that your score went from x to y.
 
Just realized I messed up really badly... when I was submitting my secondary, I somehow accidentally changed my selection for the question “Do you meet our technical standards” from “yes” to “no” while I was proofreading, and received an email just now I am being rejected bc I selected “no.” I am super bummed bc I spent a lot of time on the secondary and that was not my intention. It says it is a final decision, but do you think there is any chance I can contact admissions and ask to be reconsidered? Smacking myself for doing that, I don’t even know how
 
Just realized I messed up really badly... when I was submitting my secondary, I somehow accidentally changed my selection for the question “Do you meet our technical standards” from “yes” to “no” while I was proofreading, and received an email just now I am being rejected bc I selected “no.” I am super bummed bc I spent a lot of time on the secondary and that was not my intention. It says it is a final decision, but do you think there is any chance I can contact admissions and ask to be reconsidered? Smacking myself for doing that, I don’t even know how


You are currently rejected, what is the worst they can do if you call and inquire about updating it? I would drop everything and make that call right now and admit your mistake and see what can be done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just realized I messed up really badly... when I was submitting my secondary, I somehow accidentally changed my selection for the question “Do you meet our technical standards” from “yes” to “no” while I was proofreading, and received an email just now I am being rejected bc I selected “no.” I am super bummed bc I spent a lot of time on the secondary and that was not my intention. It says it is a final decision, but do you think there is any chance I can contact admissions and ask to be reconsidered? Smacking myself for doing that, I don’t even know how

I can't imagine they wouldn't work with you if you explain what happened.