2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not have experience in CHCs either. I talked about my community service instead.

Thank you. I don't think I will apply to SOMA though because I have a wife and two kids. From what I have read here, it appears there is a lot of moving around involved. I am more than willing to move for a rotation or something like that, but it sounds like you need to move after the first year and then again later. How much moving is actually involved here? Can any current students let me know?

Members don't see this ad.

Potentially twice. Once for the first year, second time for the last 3 years unless you were able to secure a spot in the Mesa/Phoenix CHCs.

Reactions: 1 users
Potentially twice. Once for the first year, second time for the last 3 years unless you were able to secure a spot in the Mesa/Phoenix CHCs.

I want to become a psychiatrist. Would this be a good fit for that or is ATSU-SOMA mostly focused on training primary care physicians? Also, would I have much opportunity to research during medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to become a psychiatrist. Would this be a good fit for that or is ATSU-SOMA mostly focused on training primary care physicians? Also, would I have much opportunity to research during medical school?

4 students from the class of 2019 were able to match in psych. It's true that SOMA lives and breathes primary care, but the DO curriculum is pretty much universal at this point. The school has no say over where you match after graduation. You are responsible for your board scores and extracurriculars that are needed for a successful placement in psych.

Research and ECs are difficult to set up in the first year because the possibility of moving for a second time. However all 2nd year students must complete a research project. Other research opportunities are easier to get into during years 2-4.

Reactions: 1 user
When listing the clinical activities we completed on the secondary, would it look bad to include activities that are not included in our primary?

Hello!
I had a question in regards to the first question of the secondary app. (Describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics (500 words or less).
I don't have any experience in volunteering at free clinics or CHCs but I volunteered at a primary care clinic during college. Would it be acceptable to talk about this volunteering experience?

Thanks!

When listing community service activities, is it acceptable to include clinical volunteering (e.g. volunteering in an ER)? I only have two non-clinical volunteering experiences. I am trying to decide between a high school volunteer experience and a clinical volunteering experience. Thanks!

Hello!
I had a question in regards to the first question of the secondary app. (Describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics (500 words or less).
I don't have any experience in volunteering at free clinics or CHCs but I volunteered at a primary care clinic during college. Would it be acceptable to talk about this volunteering experience?

Thanks!
i emailed admissions & they said if you don't have any experience w/ CHCs or free clinics, then you can just put N/A!

I have experience working and volunteering at local nonprofit hospitals. Would those be considered a community health centers?

Does anyone know, do we apply to one campus and rank it? or do we have to apply to each individual campus for admissions consideration?

Psych isn't that hard to match. You can go to any DO school and match anything despite what their missions are. You will be limited on research though at some places which could impact your chances for competitive specialties and by being a DO, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know, do we apply to one campus and rank it? or do we have to apply to each individual campus for admissions consideration?

KCOM and SOMA are separate. Within SOMA, after acceptance, you will rank the CHCs you wish to study at during years 2-4.

Just marked complete for both schools! Good luck everyone. Really hoping for an ii here.

I am completely lost by how to fill out "time you have spent in the following x,y,z activities" for example I have completed 300 hours as a research assistant and 150 hours dedicated to my own fellowship research but is this considered a Clinical Research Coordinator? There is no other space for any other type of research...

Also I have tutored students with disabilities but they split this up into two options: "Camp Counselor for Disabled or Underserved" or "tutor", my job description is both, but it wasn't as a camp counselor...

I am completely lost by how to fill out "time you have spent in the following x,y,z activities" for example I have completed 300 hours as a research assistant and 150 hours dedicated to my own fellowship research but is this considered a Clinical Research Coordinator? There is no other space for any other type of research...

Also I have tutored students with disabilities but they split this up into two options: "Camp Counselor for Disabled or Underserved" or "tutor", my job description is both, but it wasn't as a camp counselor...
I would just put it in the "other" box below

i am also a research assistant and was wondering the same thing, if it'd be applicable for "Clinical Research Coordinator"

What if the research is not in a clinical setting? Should this just not be listed on the app?

Received an email today saying that the school received my application but they are waiting on my MCAT score--I do take it later in the month, but I have had to reschedule it 4x now due to COVID. My first date was supposed to be back in March...what a wild cycle.
Good luck, guys!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email today saying that the school received my application but they are waiting on my MCAT score--I do take it later in the month, but I have had to reschedule it 4x now due to COVID. My first date was supposed to be back in March...what a wild cycle.
Good luck, guys!!!

this is before or after submitting your secondary?

this is before or after submitting your secondary?
After my secondary was submitted....and yes, I am a little salty about them catching it after I paid the fees. My naive self thought most schools would take the pandemic into consideration though as far as MCAT scoring goes.

• Sad
After my secondary was submitted....and yes, I am a little salty about them catching it after I paid the fees. My naive self thought most schools would take the pandemic into consideration though as far as MCAT scoring goes.
Don't worry, you gotta take the MCAT either way. You'll be fine, just kill the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry, you gotta take the MCAT either way. You'll be fine, just kill the MCAT!
So true!! That is very much my intention; I have 3 more practice exams lined up before test day!!! Thank you!!! :)))

i am also a research assistant and was wondering the same thing, if it'd be applicable for "Clinical Research Coordinator"
I know I may be late to replying to this but I have done both jobs as a research assistant and a CRC and do not consider them the same at all. So I would not list a research assistant job as a CRC. Hope that helps!

Confirming y'all received this email today too?

Hello. Due to the large number of applications we have received, it is taking us longer than two weeks to process applications. Please do not call us checking on the status of your application. If you have not heard from us by July 17th, you will want to follow up with us at that point in time.

Hello. Due to the large number of applications we have received, it is taking us longer than two weeks to process applications. Please do not call us checking on the status of your application. If you have not heard from us by July 17th, you will want to follow up with us at that point in time.

is this after submitting a secondary?

Definitely didn't get that one... hmm..

I received the longer processing time email from SOMA on 7/2, and was just marked complete today at 10:35 PM. Secondary received 6/17, submitted 6/23.

I got that email. Just figure it means exactly what it says. They are taking longer due to COVID-19

Received an email" Interviews are around the corner and we are excited by your chances of procuring one of our coveted interview slots..." Anyone???
when did you submit your secondary? & when were you marked complete?

Y'all who got that email, you all had your MCAT in already right?

Woah. I did not get the interview email either.... I hope that doesn’t mean I’m screwed

Woah. I did not get the interview email either.... I hope that doesn’t mean I’m screwed

Edit: I just got the email earlier this morning... not sure if everyone gets this email for turning in a secondary or if it actually means we have competitive stats to get an interview? Guess we'll find out

Edit: I just got the email earlier this morning... not sure if everyone gets this email for turning in a secondary or if it actually means we have competitive stats to get an interview? Guess we'll find out
I believe the email is sent to applicants whose application is marked as complete.
Can everyone who got the email confirm that they have been already marked complete?

it sounds like a strange email, like “coveted seats?” Kinda weird.

I believe the email is sent to applicants whose application is marked as complete.
Can everyone who got the email confirm that they have been already marked complete?
I was marked complete a couple of weeks ago but no email haha. XD