2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Case Western Reserve University

Members don't see this ad.

Is this thread for premeds applying to Case for the '20-'21 cycle?

Yup. This is for us who are applying this summer and expecting to matriculate in 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not much conversing going on here huh?

Any accepted students have any recommendations or comments?

Any current applicants want to share why they are interested in case? Any accepted students?

Rising M2 here. I will keep my eye on this thread on and off this summer/fall, so I may be able to answer some specific questions.
Any love for nontrads?
Any love for those with research interest but no significant experience?

A little confused about which secondary questions will be for the university program and which will only be for the college program?

Any love for nontrads?
Any love for those with research interest but no significant experience?

If you don’t have any research experience then you certainly won’t get any love in that category. However, you could mention your specific interest in research at one of our affiliate hospitals (CCF, UH, Metro, VA) to help show “Why Case”

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on exceeding the character limits of 500-1000 for each prompt on secondaries? I'm pre-writing them at the moment based on last year's prompts and the prompt says that if you exceed 1000 characters, the essay will still be saved in its entirety. Is it frowned upon if you exceed the 1000 character limit?

A little confused about which secondary questions will be for the university program and which will only be for the college program?

If you look at the Case prompts last year, it states which questions are for University Program and College Program.

Any thoughts on exceeding the character limits of 500-1000 for each prompt on secondaries? I'm pre-writing them at the moment based on last year's prompts and the prompt says that if you exceed 1000 characters, the essay will still be saved in its entirety. Is it frowned upon if you exceed the 1000 character limit?

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass by saying this, but:
1. The textbox for you to enter will usually cut you off if you exceed characters (or you will receive an error)
2, Why would you want to exceed 1000 characters when they tell you not to? This might indicate to adcoms you are careless and unable to follow instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't meant os found like a smart-ass by saying this, but:
1. The textbox for you to enter will usually cut you off if you exceed characters (or you will receive an error)
2, Why would you want to exceed 1000 characters when they tell you not to? This might indicate to adcoms you are careless and unable to follow instructions.

Don't worry it's not. I am thinking exactly what you said. It's just weird that the prompts that I took from prospectivedoctor had the line of "Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 1000 character recommendation is exceeded your essay WILL still be saved in its entirety." Perhaps, this might have changed and that the essay will be cut off.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to Case Western and CCLCM, are the "required for college program" secondary essays seen by College Program AdCom only or does Case Western (University Program) ADCom see them as well? On the other side, are the "Required Essays" like the Small Group one seen by both AdComs?

Last edited:
Anyone know the secondaries for Case this year yet?
We're rolling out the secondary application today and over the next couple of days to those with verified AMCAS applications so hang in there!

Reactions: 9 users
Don't worry it's not. I am thinking exactly what you said. It's just weird that the prompts that I took from prospectivedoctor had the line of "Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the 1000 character recommendation is exceeded your essay WILL still be saved in its entirety." Perhaps, this might have changed and that the essay will be cut off.
It won't prevent you from saving if you go over the character limit but please try to keep your responses within the character limits. We have to read A LOT of applications so we purposely put response limits in place.

They aren't starting reviews until August 3, so I assume they won't release them just yet.
Correct - we are not going to start screening until early August but our secondary is going out today and over the coming days to those with verified AMCAS applications.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

When you get the secondary you can choose which program(s) you'd like to apply to. The essay prompts you are presented are based on what program(s) you choose. I hope this helps!

When you get the secondary you can choose which program(s) you'd like to apply to. The essay prompts you are presented are based on what program(s) you choose. I hope this helps!
But the real question is when are new episodes of All Access coming back?!

They released one recently!!

Well shoot!! You just made my day. The website isn't up to date, yet. I just saw the CCLCM episode that was uploaded on Saturday in the podcasts app. SO EXCITED! Thank you!

Last edited:
Well shoot!! You just made my day. The website isn't up to date, yet. I just saw the CCLCOM episode that was uploaded on Saturday in the podcasts app. SO EXCITED! Thank you!

You’re welcome! Thanks for your patience. Busy, busy these days....

Secondary Received!

The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?
Please limit your response to 300-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Secondary Received!

The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?
Please limit your response to 300-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

wait that's it? no research prompt this year?

Do you know if CASPer is also required if you are only applying to CCLCM?

My essay is one page, but only about 2800 characters. Do you think I should try to get closer to 3500 characters?

wait that's it? no research prompt this year?
There are additional optional essays for the regular MD program.

The past few months have reflected an unprecedented time in world history, and we are aware that many have experienced significant disruptions in numerous aspects of their lives. Please use the text field below to share with us how you may have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including academic, financial, medical disruptions, etc. It would also be helpful for us to know if any of your planned experiences in shadowing, volunteering, research, employment, or other activities have been suspended due to the pandemic. Please limit your response to 3,500 characters please.

Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee that may not be captured in the rest of your application? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program. Please limit your response to 3,500 characters please.

One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve2 Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations. Please limit your response to 3,500 characters please.

My essay is one page, but only about 2800 characters. Do you think I should try to get closer to 3500 characters?

I don't think it's worth it to fluff it up

Not necessarily. We're not looking necessarily at anyone who hits 3,500 on the nose. It's not some kind of secret piece of data we're using to screen applicants.

I forgot that SDN doesn't like external links so it looks like my previous post got removed. I guess that's what you get for trying to help people. Anyyyyyyway, we've started sending out our secondary application to those with verified AMCAS applications. If you're waiting on verification or an MCAT administration & want to get a jump on our secondary application questions, you can visit our Admissions site under "Application Process>Secondary Application Questions." We also just tweeted out the link @CaseMedAdmiss.

I forgot that SDN doesn't like external links so it looks like my previous post got removed. I guess that's what you get for trying to help people. Anyyyyyyway, we've started sending out our secondary application to those with verified AMCAS applications. If you're waiting on verification or an MCAT administration & want to get a jump on our secondary application questions, you can visit our Admissions site under "Application Process>Secondary Application Questions." We also just tweeted out the link @CaseMedAdmiss.
Thanks for your help, Sman! I'll get right on those.

EDIT:
I noticed there's a second link for those that is broken which appears underneath the other one.

Also, the page says there is no additional essay for the MD/PhD beyond the two listed for all applicants. Does this mean we don't answer any of the essays for either the CCLCM or University program?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

EDIT: I noticed there's a second link for those that is broken which appears underneath the other one.
Who knows. Just happy to get this out to everyone.

For the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Program question "How will you contribute to the diversity and inclusion mission of our medical school?" - there is no character limit, right?

I've uploaded a photo and it's sideways. I may just be being oblivious but I can't figure out how to remove it to try and get it right side up, is anyone else having this issue?

Current CWRU UP student also, will keep an eye on the thread and try to answer questions as I can.

Good luck everyone

For the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Program question "How will you contribute to the diversity and inclusion mission of our medical school?" - there is no character limit, right?
The limit is 500-1000 characters. Our developer is going to be updating this within the application. Sorry for the oversight!

EDIT:
I noticed there's a second link for those that is broken which appears underneath the other one.

Also, the page says there is no additional essay for the MD/PhD beyond the two listed for all applicants. Does this mean we don't answer any of the essays for either the CCLCM or University program?

Thanks again!
1. That second page site that had a broken link has been removed.
2. MSTP does not have any additional essays beyond the two required responses for all applicants. MSTPs will have the option of responding to the COVID & Gap year questions. If you indicate that you are applying to either UP or CCLCM, then other responses will become available to you. I hope this makes sense.