2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Negative is subjective. It depends where you come from and what you're accustomed to.

I've spent a few years in Cleveland and In MY opinion, it aint bad. It's not in the trenches, its just some parts might be trenches-adjacent. If you're comfortable around low income citizens literally just existing, then you'll be fine lol.

Im from Los Angeles and I've heard people say the same thing about USC. Which "suffers" from the same stigma of being trenches-adjacent. Case doesnt seem to be that much different. But again, this is just my opinion.
I’m not worried about the “trenches” or being in low income neighborhoods. I’m mostly curious about how lively/exciting Cleveland is as a mid-sized city and that’s what the student negatively alluded to. Apologies for not making that clearer in my original reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not worried about the “trenches” or being in low income neighborhoods. I’m mostly curious about how lively/exciting Cleveland is as a mid-sized city and that’s what the student negatively alluded to. Apologies for not making that clearer in my original reply.

Dude Cleveland is dope as hell. There’s so much to do. What year were the people you were talking to? Maybe they just haven’t had enough time to really see Cleveland for all it’s wonder.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude Cleveland is dope as hell. There’s so much to do. What year were the people you were talking to? Maybe they just haven’t had enough time to really see Cleveland for all it’s wonder.
That makes me so excited to hear!! They were a third year so I was a little shocked. Maybe they’re used to bigger cities though

Members don't see this ad :)
How's the nightlife scene? I like a city with a good number of nice bars and nightlife. What are some daytime activities to do?

Reactions: 2 users
Current Case undergrad and more than happy to answer questions about the city! I'm from Chicago, so my perspective is coming from a large city. Because of its higher prominence in the 20th century, Cleveland has a lot of amenities given its size and population. I'm also a senior, so I've spent the last 4 years really being able to explore and getting to know the city. Just in last summer and September, I was able to go to several professional NBA, NFL, and MLB games; a national premiere for a play, along with several other professional productions; an airshow with some of the best aerobatics pilots in the country; concerts for some of my favorite bands (most recent was Glass Animals); kayaking on Lake Erie and trail running/gravel cycling in a national park; very popular Greek and Italian cultural festivals with great food around the Feast of Assumption; several film premieres in a historic theater south of campus; concerts held by one of the best orchestras in the country, including a fantastic performance at a really cool summer music festival; and just a bunch of really cool farmer's markets in the fall and summer, along with some other random events. I was able to experience all of this in just a few months, almost entirely relying on public transportation and a bike (I'm an avid cyclist). If you have a car, that opens up a lot of other things including visiting Cedar Point if you're an amusement park fan and anything in Pittsburgh.

I'm also very experienced with a lot of different neighborhoods and their history (it's part of my nonprofit work). One of the biggest issues with Case's undergrads (I'm not sure if this completely applies to the med school students, but it probably does to a degree), is that people don't frequently go beyond a 1-2 mile radius around campus and/or aren't on campus around the summertime, which is when a lot of thing happen in Cleveland. This leads to a skewed perspective that there isn't a lot to do in Cleveland, which I 100% disagree with.

Nightlife is good; if you're not a college freshman, the bar and nightlife scenes are strongest in (in decreasing proximity to campus): Little Italy, Coventry, Shaker Square, East 4th St, Downtown, Tremont, the Flats, and Lakewood.
Sounds like there's a good amount to do! It sounds like a lot of summer activities, how about in the winter though? What do people do in the winter for fun? Don't want to just be stuck at home the entire winter haha.

Current Case undergrad and more than happy to answer questions about the city! I'm from Chicago, so my perspective is coming from a large city. Because of its higher prominence in the 20th century, Cleveland has a lot of amenities given its size and population. I'm also a senior, so I've spent the last 4 years really being able to explore and getting to know the city. Just in last summer and September, I was able to go to several professional NBA, NFL, and MLB games; a national premiere for a play, along with several other professional productions; an airshow with some of the best aerobatics pilots in the country; concerts for some of my favorite bands (most recent was Glass Animals); kayaking on Lake Erie and trail running/gravel cycling in a national park; very popular Greek and Italian cultural festivals with great food around the Feast of Assumption; several film premieres in a historic theater south of campus; concerts held by one of the best orchestras in the country, including a fantastic performance at a really cool summer music festival; and just a bunch of really cool farmer's markets in the fall and summer, along with some other random events. I was able to experience all of this in just a few months, almost entirely relying on public transportation and a bike (I'm an avid cyclist). If you have a car, that opens up a lot of other things including visiting Cedar Point if you're an amusement park fan and anything in Pittsburgh.

I'm also very experienced with a lot of different neighborhoods and their history (it's part of my nonprofit work). One of the biggest issues with Case's undergrads (I'm not sure if this completely applies to the med school students, but it probably does to a degree), is that people don't frequently go beyond a 1-2 mile radius around campus and/or aren't on campus around the summertime, which is when a lot of thing happen in Cleveland. This leads to a skewed perspective that there isn't a lot to do in Cleveland, which I 100% disagree with.

Nightlife is good; if you're not a college freshman, the bar and nightlife scenes are strongest in (in decreasing proximity to campus): Little Italy, Coventry, Shaker Square, East 4th St, Downtown, Tremont, the Flats, and Lakewood.
You mentioned that you bike everywhere, does that mean you haven't needed to get a car in all four years? I know there are metro lines around campus as well. Were those enough to get you around the city smoothly?

You mentioned that you bike everywhere, does that mean you haven't needed to get a car in all four years? I know there are metro lines around campus as well. Were those enough to get you around the city smoothly?
During the student Q&A on interview day, all of them mentioned they had cars (specifically AWD for snow) and said most people get cars by second year and everyone by third year for rotations.

For those of you who got the zoom links post-II, when did you get the link?

If the Zoom links come, tomorrow might be the day we get them! Based on what we've been told so far and when previous ones were sent.

If the Zoom links come, tomorrow might be the day we get them! Based on what we've been told so far and when previous ones were sent.
During the session, I was told they were meeting Feb 22nd. And will release decisions most likely end of Feb but beginning of March is also a possibility! So good luck everyone!!

During the session, I was told they were meeting Feb 22nd. And will release decisions most likely end of Feb but beginning of March is also a possibility! So good luck everyone!!
Gotcha, yea for my interview day in late Jan, I was told they were meeting the second week of Feb and we should hear back this week (so 4 weeks since interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha, yea for my interview day in late Jan, I was told they were meeting the second week of Feb and we should hear back this week (so 4 weeks since interview).
did you interview 1/31? I coulda swore they told us 2nd or 3rd week of Feb we would be hearing back, because they would be meeting the 4th (Fri), or the 7th (Mon).. I cant remember which date. But i swear he told us that :rofl::rofl:. Maybe I'm trippin

did you interview 1/31? I coulda swore they told us 2nd or 3rd week of Feb we would be hearing back, because they would be meeting the 4th (Fri), or the 7th (Mon).. I cant remember which date. But i swear he told us that :rofl::rofl:. Maybe I'm trippin
I interviewed the week before you and I think they said meeting the 7th and hearing back the last week of the month!

For those of you who got the zoom links post-II, when did you get the link?
The evening before the Zoom, the Zoom was on Friday at 11 am and I got the link the day before (on Thursday) at around 5 pm.

Where do most Case med students work out? Is there any small gym inside the health education campus?

Where do most Case med students work out? Is there any small gym inside the health education campus?
I asked this on interview day lol. But a student told me that you can go to the rec center that the undergrads go to or Case subsidizes med students to go to a private, commercial gym nearby.

Have there been any updates on when financial aid is coming out? I think it’s supposed to be around this time

Have there been any updates on when financial aid is coming out? I think it’s supposed to be around this time
It will probably be in a couple weeks because financial aid applications are not due until March 1.

What does it say?

The opps is in this thread so Idk if I can post the whole thing but

"Dear Jackie,
I realize that this is short notice, but we would like to invite you to a brief check-in session on insert date @ insert time."

then there's a zoom link.

The opps is in this thread so Idk if I can post the whole thing but

"Dear Jackie,
I realize that this is short notice, but we would like to invite you to a brief check-in session on insert date @ insert time."

then there's a zoom link.

That sounds like the link for an A 👀!

Just

Got the same email! Not trying to speculate too much but seems like good news. I appreciate the approach Case but also my weekend is now ruined!
lmaooo nah real ****! Idk how to feel about this.

"Hey guys. Our class got filled way earlier than expected, so you guys are all gonna be Waitlisted or Rejected. We just wanted to let you know! Have a great week though"

"Hey guys. Our class got filled way earlier than expected, so you guys are all gonna be Waitlisted or Rejected. We just wanted to let you know! Have a great week though"
The "Based on recent events" makes it seem like they're going to say "We've been contracted by the US military and will not be accepted an incoming MD class.."

• Haha

Not to worry. They seem to like having a little fun with it, but we have seen this several times this cycle. It's an A. I promise you!! :)

Congratulations!!!

• Love
"assume good intentions" -Dr. Mehta on interview day :)

• Wow
  • Love
Not to worry. They seem to like having a little fun with it, but we have seen this several times this cycle. It's an A. I promise you!! :)

Congratulations!!!
I recall you being adamant that there was a waitlist zoom call as well 😏

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
So is that it? The zoom emails have been finally sent, so now it's WL/R time for the rest?

So is that it? The zoom emails have been finally sent, so now it's WL/R time for the rest?
Considering the last zoom link email was sent Dec 16, it seems like there werent enough people who reported they got the zoom links this time. But that may be just me hoping for the best lol.

lmao man listen. This dude got my hopes up already so he better not be lying
Absolutely not lying. I wasn't adamant about anything. I was speculating, based on some BS someone posted last cycle, fed by the "fun" the school likes to have with these links. Several sets of these calls this cycle have shown they are all As. There is no priority WL. Just a few people stirring it up. I'm sorry for any part I played in that, but, I never promised anyone there was a priority WL, and I DID promise you an A after your Zoom call!! :cool:

Quotes of my posts on the subject from earlier in the thread, before we knew what we now know:

A and Priority WL.

No evidence other than the fact that last year someone reported that's what happened on their Zoom call, someone earlier in this thread said that's what happened on a call their friend was on this cycle, and now @CWRU.Sman is confirming that all links for tomorrow are not the same.

Many people have already reported being placed on a regular WL without being invited to a Zoom call, and no one has reported being rejected post-II. We know people receiving As are invited to Zoom calls the day before, and other people are receiving a different invitation that also isn't a regular WL or R.

Just my speculation (plus what has been sporadically reported by others), but what else could it be? People on the calls apparently agree not to discuss what happens on the calls, so this, plus the tease put out by @CWRU.Sman, is what we have. Convinced? :cool:

Yes. Most Zoom meetings = A. No question about that. Many happy people. The question was about what the other, different Zoom link is about.

If there is, in fact, a priority WL, that is certainly not terrible news, and having a Zoom call to explain to the lucky few finding themselves on it how they are special, ahead of the regular WL people, have an excellent chance of receiving an A, etc., would be exactly the reason why such a call would be made, rather than just telling them via e-mail that they are on the WL with everyone else. There would honestly be no reason for anyone on that call to be "embittered," or to risk their spot by breaching a non-disclosure agreement to prove a point to us.

In my mind, there would be no reason for @CWRU.Sman to go out of his way to let us know all Zoom links are not the same if they are, or to feed speculation that something is being communicated to some candidates through these meetings other than As, so I'm sticking with my theory. YMMV.

• Care
Considering the last zoom link email was sent Dec 16, it seems like there werent enough people who reported they got the zoom links this time. But that may be just me hoping for the best lol.
Do you mean that they’re sending them in waves? Anybody know if the rest of us who haven’t got a link should just move on?

Would anyone who goes here be open to talking about their experiences in Cleveland? I'm seriously considering Case and I want to understand what it's like.

MS1 at Case UP. I've lived in Boston and NYC before arriving here, and I have definitely enjoyed living in Cleveland. It definitely gets hated on way too much.

It's still a city with 3 sports teams, a really extensive bar/clubs district (the Flats), a really cool art museum, perhaps the best orchestra in North America, and an active theatre scene. Cuyahoga National park is a great place for hiking/skiing, and Edgewater Beach, while not a Caribbean paradise, is a pretty cool beach in the summer. You won't run out of things to do in Cleveland. I also want to say that I have really grown to appreciate the culture of the Midwest. People are certainly more friendly, authentic, and collaborative here than what I found in NYC/Boston. I've heard some of my classmates from the West Coast also say living in the midwest has been refreshing, as you don't have to put on a certain appearance to fit in.

Cleveland is obviously not as busy as NYC/Chicago/LA, but there are also pros to living in a somewhat more quiet city like Cleveland (especially housing affordability). Yes, it gets cold and snows a lot, but so does every city in the Midwest and the Northeast. Poverty is also something that affects every city, and you will see elements of it in Cleveland.

Let me know if you have any other questions about living in Cleveland as a med student.

• Love
Do you mean that they’re sending them in waves? Anybody know if the rest of us who haven’t got a link should just move on?
Probably, depending on your interview date. If your file was discussed at the last meeting and you didn't receive a link, you'll be getting an e-mail after they have their Zoom call, when the next round of decisions is released.

Yea there could something like that. Since there were multiple decision meetings since the last zoom link wave. But honestly, no one but the adcom knows whats happening. I guess the best advice is to sit tight, and wait for the final decision to come through!

Have people received WL’s of post interview R’s yet? Does CWRU send out all A’s before dishing those out?