2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@CWRU.Sman I know you know even less about the CCLCM process, but if you have any updates on their waitlist movement as well it would be very much appreciated. Was my dream school but I'm thinking they are probably close to done if not done with waitlist movement. Thanks for your continued transparency through this and I fully understand if you don't know/can't find out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Im assuming there will be some movement after the CTE deadline?
Why? The PTE deadline induces people to drop multiple As, which is what causes WL movement. The CTE deadline merely induces people on WLs to convert PTE to CTE. Nothing is dropped, and little to no WL movement results, unless someone is PTE at Case and is either holding a hidden A elsewhere, or was recently accepted off a WL in the past week or so, and then fails to select CTE at the deadline.

People hold their breath waiting for big movement after CTE deadlines every cycle, at every school. It doesn't happen. The remaining PTEs simply convert to CTE when the call from their dream school doesn't come by the deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im assuming there will be some movement after the CTE deadline?
When accepted applicants are required to select CTE, they are then committed to that medical school and are obligated to withdraw their names from other waitlists that they may be on. Theoretically, there should be no movement after a class is all CTE. Those applicants should be "off the market." I hope this helps.

When accepted applicants are required to select CTE, they are then committed to that medical school and are obligated to withdraw their names from other waitlists that they may be on. Theoretically, there should be no movement after a class is all CTE. Those applicants should be "off the market." I hope this helps.
Sure, but the relevant question embedded in that post is whether all of your class is CTE, whether you expect to have any open seats after 6/6, and whether you expect to be making any more calls off the WL this cycle? Yes, once people select CTE, they are theoretically locked in, but that presumes that all schools are playing by the rules and will not poach people who are CTE elsewhere. At least one school indicated on a Zoom call that they would not necessarily allow themselves to be bound by this.

Sure, but the relevant question embedded in that post is whether all of your class is CTE, whether you expect to have any open seats after 6/6, and whether you expect to be making any more calls off the WL this cycle? Yes, once people select CTE, they are theoretically locked in, but that presumes that all schools are playing by the rules and will not poach people who are CTE elsewhere. At least one school indicated on a Zoom call that they would not necessarily allow themselves to be bound by this.
Not everyone is CTE but it's close and we don't get a heads-up anymore when another school intends to accept a student from our class so it's unpredictable and happens out of the blue. We used to call each other as a courtesy but we're not to do that anymore and it grinds me to hear that another school won't play by the "rules." What a nice way to model professionalism.

• Love
still on the WL here but keeping my hopes up, the lack of movement is discouraging me :/

still on the WL here but keeping my hopes up, the lack of movement is discouraging me :/
The fact that they are close to full CTE should be even more discouraging. If it's really close, the odds are very high that the few stragglers are waiting for WL movement elsewhere that is unlikely to magically appear in the next few days. @CWRU.Sman will likely be reporting back to us sometime next week that his class is officially filled, barring some unforeseen last minute cancellation.

The fact that they are close to full CTE should be even more discouraging. If it's really close, the odds are very high that the few stragglers are waiting for WL movement elsewhere that is unlikely to magically appear in the next few days. @CWRU.Sman will likely be reporting back to us sometime next week that his class is officially filled, barring some unforeseen last minute cancellation.
I see a promising career in palliative care in your future 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
As a fellow waitlist warrior, it is a rough time, but I can at least appreciate @KnightDoc for being brutally honest. Might as well tear that band-aid off.

Our class is essentially set for this cycle as everyone is in the CTE status. We don't send out official "class full" emails until the day school begins just in case something unexpected comes up. One year, a new student, moved to CLE from very far away, had everything ready to go and contacted our office the morning of the first day of med school and told us that she didn't want to do this. So, we called someone off our waitlist that morning. Now, this is an extreme outlier but it's one of those situations for which we have to be prepared. If you have active applications still open at other schools, I would recommend focusing in that direction at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users