2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you positive about this!?

Financial Aid Package Options for Current Students​

Rollover Package​

Get the same aid package you received this year (21-22). This means that you will not have to resubmit tax documents or the CSS Profile and you understand that you will receive the same scholarship and loans as the current academic year (21-22) for the next academic year of 2022-2023.

Reactions: 1 user
It says we still have to resubmit FAFSA and the Case Financial aid form, but hopefully the scholarship itself doesn’t change

Members don't see this ad :)

Financial Aid Package Options for Current Students​

Rollover Package​

Get the same aid package you received this year (21-22). This means that you will not have to resubmit tax documents or the CSS Profile and you understand that you will receive the same scholarship and loans as the current academic year (21-22) for the next academic year of 2022-2023.

See you guys in Cleveland 😏

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
It says we still have to resubmit FAFSA and the Case Financial aid form, but hopefully the scholarship itself doesn’t change
That’s likely just because they still have to comply with federal regulations to get the federal loans, but it sounds like the institutional aid is locked in if you agree. The way they phrased it, your package WILL be the same.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
That’s likely just because they still have to comply with federal regulations to get the federal loans, but it sounds like the institutional aid is locked in if you agree. The way they phrased it, your package WILL be the same.
I was emailing with financial aid earlier this week and was told that our financial aid packages will remain the same all four years unless you file for reassessment due to significant changes in your financial circumstances.

Also, did anyone else not receive an award letter yet? Im assuming they just didn't send them all out at once but just want to make sure I'm not missing it somewhere.

• Love
I was emailing with financial aid earlier this week and was told that our financial aid packages will remain the same all four years unless you file for reassessment due to significant changes in your financial circumstances.

Also, did anyone else not receive an award letter yet? Im assuming they just didn't send them all out at once but just want to make sure I'm not missing it somewhere.
check spam folder lol

Ik Case is only giving need based aid this year, but do any of you know up to what level of parents combined income they offer it to? $100k? $150k?

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle:

Variable from year to year for each of our MD programs. Each MD program welcomes pertinent updates or letters of interest/intent from waitlisted applicants if they are truly interested in attending.

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist:

Not Provided

Waitlist procedures and information:

Interviewed applicants will be notified if they are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected shortly after their interview. Waitlisted applicants will be provided with additional updates and instructions.
Thanks friend! appreciate it

Does Case med have AOA? I saw that student induction was suspended in 2020. I was wondering if Case ever planned on resuming student induction to AOA? I personally don’t want any AOA to resume because I really don’t want to be competing with any classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update on the iPad discussion! This is in Accepted Central under "Computing Requirements":

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.09.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.09.17 AM.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 250
Could an M1 tell us how exams work and pass/fail etc?
Nice thing about CWRU is that we have exams every few months. During our "exam weeks" we have a few days of exams: anatomy/HoloLens, SSEQ (main, written exam), and NBME exam (not graded). The SSEQ are 100% extended response, which is nice since it leaves room for writing what you know.

CWRU is a **true** P/F school during pre-clinical years. No internal ranking, no grades; just a Pass or Fail. If you fail you have a chance to retake the exam during summer.

Case students are some of the most relaxed med students I know. The consensus is we have a very manageable/do-it-yourself curriculum that can fit anyone's learning style. Plenty of free time to go out, get involved with research/extracurriculars, and have time to yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
Nice thing about CWRU is that we have exams every few months. During our "exam weeks" we have a few days of exams: anatomy/HoloLens, SSEQ (main, written exam), and NBME exam (not graded). The SSEQ are 100% extended response, which is nice since it leaves room for writing what you know.

CWRU is a **true** P/F school during pre-clinical years. No internal ranking, no grades; just a Pass or Fail. If you fail you have a chance to retake the exam during summer.

Case students are some of the most relaxed med students I know. The consensus is we have a very manageable/do-it-yourself curriculum that can fit anyone's learning style. Plenty of free time to go out, get involved with research/extracurriculars, and have time to yourself.
This sounds great, are there any rankings during the clinical years? And is there any AOA?

This sounds great, are there any rankings during the clinical years? And is there any AOA?
Last I knew of AOA was suspended. Haven't heard anything about it during my M1 year.

Clinical years is a traditional high pass / pass / etc... I think this is pretty standard everywhere.

My financial aid came in and it definitely looks horrid. I'm really scared about having to pay such high interest after all these loans. This is honestly such a scam how expensive interest is, legit home mortgages have less interest. Student loan interest should be very low and not be this much. This country saddens me how much they do not care about their students and how much it only cares about making money. Also, why does Case have one of the highest tuitions in the country? Why is it so high compared to vast majority of other schools? It makes the school very unaffordable.
Same here. I honestly can’t justify this COA to myself or my parents :(

• Care
My financial aid came in and it definitely looks horrid. I'm really scared about having to pay such high interest after all these loans. This is honestly such a scam how expensive interest is, legit home mortgages have less interest. Student loan interest should be very low and not be this much. This country saddens me how much they do not care about their students and how much it only cares about making money. Also, why does Case have one of the highest tuitions in the country? Why is it so high compared to vast majority of other schools? It makes the school very unaffordable.
Home mortgages have real estate collateral behind them. Unfortunately student loans are not only uncollateralized, but they have pretty high default rates that are covered by taxpayers. Also unfortunately, no one separates medical student loans from other student loans, so we are actually subsidizing defaults by students in other disciplines, since med students have very low default rates.

If there was no taxpayer subsidy and the program was expected to be self sustaining, the rates would be FAR higher than they are, and we'd all be taking private loans. Private lender rates are exactly where they should be, since no one has to take them, so they are truly market based, determined only by a lender's loss experience, their need to make a profit, and what the market will bear, given that there is a federal alternative that is available to all of us.

Private lenders do, in fact, have relatively attractive rates for med students, but with them you give up things like income based repayment plans and PSLF. Pick your poison. The good news is that you are eventually going to be in the Top 1%, and you WILL be able to pay back whatever you have to borrow!

As to why their aid sucks, the answer is that they just don't have as big an endowment as other schools. They are expensive because they are private. Their tuition is in line with most other private schools.

At the end of the day, your reaction is not atypical, and is why they have a ton of WL movement every year, even though most people agree that it is a great school. They don't do merit scholarships, their need based aid isn't great, and they are not quite T20. They end up losing a lot of people to less expensive and/or more prestigious options. And they replace them with a bunch of people eager to take their place. Every single year.

Last edited:
Home mortgages have real estate collateral behind them. Unfortunately student loans are not only uncollateralized, but they have pretty high default rates that are covered by taxpayers. Also unfortunately, no one separates medical student loans from other student loans, so we are actually subsidizing defaults by students in other disciplines, since med students have very low default rates.

If there was no taxpayer subsidy and the program was expected to be self sustaining, the rates would be FAR higher than they are, and we'd all be taking private loans. Private lender rates are exactly where they should be, since no one has to take them, so they are truly market based, determined only by a lender's loss experience, their need to make a profit, and what the market will bear, given that there is a federal alternative that is available to all of us.

Private lenders do, in fact, have relatively attractive rates for med students, but with them you give up things like income based repayment plans and PSLF. Pick your poison. The good news is that you are eventually going to be in the Top 1%, and you WILL be able to pay back whatever you have to borrow!

As to why their aid sucks, the answer is that they just don't have as big an endowment as other schools. They are expensive because they are private. Their tuition is in line with most other private schools.

At the end of the day, your reaction is not atypical, and is why they have a ton of WL movement every year, even though most people agree that it is a great school. They don't do merit scholarships, their need based aid isn't great, and they are not quite T20. They end up losing a lot of people to less expensive and/or more prestigious options. And they replace them with a bunch of people eager to take their place. Every single year.
It's just ridiculous how the interest cumulates and is added to your final capital. In the end, you end up paying 25-30% interest rather than just around 6%. Interest is complete greed of the government. If people truly cared, they would charge really low interest.

• Care
It's just ridiculous how the interest cumulates and is added to your final capital. In the end, you end up paying 25-30% interest rather than just around 6%. Interest is complete greed of the government. If people truly cared, they would charge really low interest.
You are, of course, correct, but it IS the cost of money, since that money could otherwise be used to invest in things that generate a return. In this case, it is generating a return in our future, which does allow us to make a ton of money going forward. It's not crazy that the lender wants to capture a tiny piece of that for themselves.

As I said before, that is exactly what is happening with private lenders, and the interest rates are not unreasonable, but you give up all the benefits of a government loan, which are worth A LOT to some people and are nice to have for all of us. With the government, there is no profit motive, and in fact, the student loan program generated around $2 BILLION in losses in 2021. So, no, the interest charged does not come close to covering costs because many people (not doctors) don't repay what they borrow, let alone ANY interest at all, and it's not greed that drives the interest charged to those who do repay.

And no, at the end of the day, taxpayers who make a fraction of what we are going to make don't "truly care" about subsidizing our future by taking any even greater loss than they already do on the student loan program. Hence the current debate on student loan forgiveness, as opposed to Congress just agreeing to wipe out some or all outstanding student loan debt.

So, it is what it is, which is a pretty good deal for most of us, because it guarantees that we will have the money available to pay for the education, regardless of our ability to earn scholarships, a school's willingness to give us need-based grants or loans, or our parents' ability or willingness to fund us.

Last edited:
im really sorry buddy. We definitely understand where you're coming from. :cryi:😔

hi everyone, not sure if this was spoken on in the past but I am on the WL and was wondering if anyone has more information about the WL movement besides what is on the portal. thank you!

• Care
@CWRU.Sman Do you happen to have any insight about the M1s keeping their ipads after first year? I was considering buying an ipad for myself and dont know if its needed

When is waitlist movement anticipated for Case?
I’m not on the committee BUT waitlist movement for all schools will really begin at the beginning of May. That’s when people who have multiple acceptances have to limit their decision to a single school. That’s when the greatest amount of movement occurs with little spurts occurring for about a month due to ripple effects.

You and I will be sitting in silence until then haha

I’m not on the committee BUT waitlist movement for all schools will really begin at the beginning of May. That’s when people who have multiple acceptances have to limit their decision to a single school. That’s when the greatest amount of movement occurs with little spurts occurring for about a month due to ripple effects.

Yup haha, when do you think schools begin to even look at their waitlists? Trying to decide when is an optimal time to send updates

Exactly right!

• Care
Yup haha, when do you think schools begin to even look at their waitlists? Trying to decide when is an optimal time to send updates
I'm not sure when they start conspiring about who will be the chosen ones to rise from the WL but typically schools try to pull as fast as they can so they can get their class figured and filled out as soon as possible.

Regarding sending updates, I've sent them two LOI's since I was WL'd and am going to send another one in April. Might send another one in May if I haven't been tapped yet. They haven't responded to my love letters but here's to hoping that it pays off haha I'm just going the route of keep showing interest and then maybe they'll take you seriously when you say you really really want to go there.

I'm not sure when they start conspiring about who will be the chosen ones to rise from the WL but typically schools try to pull as fast as they can so they can get their class figured and filled out as soon as possible.

Regarding sending updates, I've sent them two LOI's since I was WL'd and am going to send another one in April. Might send another one in May if I haven't been tapped yet. They haven't responded to my love letters but here's to hoping that it pays off haha I'm just going the route of keep showing interest and then maybe they'll take you seriously when you say you really really want to go there.
I would be careful with this… adcoms are busy. Eagerness and dedication toe the line with impatience and annoyance. Patience is important in medicine… you don’t want to give them the idea that you lack this virtue, nor that you lack the understanding of how the process works. One LOI is standard… 4 is not, and thus may demonstrate some misunderstanding about the cycle, or a lack of empathy for how busy they are. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I have heard fairly universally that pestering admissions works against you more often than not.

Also, surely your subsequent LOI’s cannot have that much to add. Maybe one of them has a substantial update in it, but it will surely be diluted by the more frivilous aditions. I certainly don’t mean to be hypercritical here; good for you for staying on top of things and working for what you want. I just want to provide an alternative perspective, in case that might ultimately be of benefit to you. I’m certainly no expert, however, so my opinion holds no more value than yours!

• Care

I know last year they accepted a few people off of the WL in March so I was hoping they'd do the same this year. Doesn't look like that's in the plans for the year so we'll just all have to patiently wait until then and keep fingers crossed. Best of luck all!

• Care
I know last year they accepted a few people off of the WL in March so I was hoping they'd do the same this year. Doesn't look like that's in the plans for the year so we'll just all have to patiently wait until then and keep fingers crossed. Best of luck all!
This is true but we were extra conservative last year because 2020-2021 was our first full cycle with virtual interviews so we didn't know what to expect. We will not be making any WL offers anytime soon. We are constantly monitoring our class but things don't really get going until the end of April and/or early-May.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there is a GroupMe for accepted students?