2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the Additional Information Essay, can we use this for a "Why Case Essay?" or is this purely meant for explaining disadvantages or poor grades? Any other ways people are using this space?

Members don't see this ad.

How much detail should we provide for the Research prompt? I have a project I'm working on that is almost finishing up and then to be submitted for review. Not sure if i'm breaking any confidentiality or anything by giving extensive details about things like results. anyone in a similar boat or have suggestions for how i should approach this?

The Cleveland Clinic Program has the short prompt "how do you see your career 10 years from now?" So technically, in 10 years we can still be finishing up residency, depending on what specialty you're getting into. Do they just mean to ask "where do we see ourselves in the early stages of our medical career (basically after all our training is done)?"

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Additional Information Essay, can we use this for a "Why Case Essay?" or is this purely meant for explaining disadvantages or poor grades? Any other ways people are using this space?
It's up to you but it's always nice to read why/how Case got onto your radar as a school to apply to.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
How much detail should we provide for the Research prompt? I have a project I'm working on that is almost finishing up and then to be submitted for review. Not sure if i'm breaking any confidentiality or anything by giving extensive details about things like results. anyone in a similar boat or have suggestions for how i should approach this?
We've heard this before and understand. If you feel like you are unable to share the results because they haven't been submitted or your research group has asked you not to share final results yet, that's fine! Just explain that in your essay.

Reactions: 1 users
@CWRU.Sman I saw above that you said people writing short novels in their essay responses can slow down the review process. I'd been thinking of using the additional information prompt to discuss my fit for the school, but I don't want to frustrate the people reading my application since they'll be looking at a couple 3,500 character essays about me already! Do you think it's better to leave that section blank or to take advantage of that extra opportunity to show my interest?
If you want to share with us how/why Case landed on your list of schools to apply to, that's fine. Many of us actually like to read those. It's up to you as to the length. Don't feel like you need to extoll every virtue of the school that attracts you.

Reactions: 3 users
@CWRU.Sman would using the "additional info" section to describe our gap year activities (not included in the primary) a good use of that space?
Appreciate all your help here!
We have an optional Gap Year prompt. It asks for a very short response. 4 sentences. Just give us the quick highlights.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we know when Case will start interviewing this cycle?
Interviews for the University Program and CCLCM are to begin the week of September 14 and we may go into March but we'll see how things look. We've pushed our entire screening and interviewing season back to accommodate those taking the MCAT in late August and September due to cancellations. You can find more info on our Admissions Requirements page on our website about other changes we've made. I'd share the link but SDN does not like external links.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else struggling to adequately describe their research project (hypothesis, methods, results, interpretation) AS WELL AS what your experience meant to you in 3500 characters? What should we prioritize?

Anyone else struggling to adequately describe their research project (hypothesis, methods, results, interpretation) AS WELL AS what your experience meant to you in 3500 characters? What should we prioritize?
Some information may not be as meaningful to the adcoms, is my guess. Try focusing on the most impactful and meaningful components of your project rather than on every last detail. I'm applying MSTP so I had to basically write the same essay but the SRE essay allowed 10000 characters and I managed to discuss more than 3 research experiences, so you should be able to do it for one in under 3500 characters, provided you limit the scope of your discussion of the details. How detailed are you being about the hypothesis, methods, results and interpretation?

Another strategy is to work the meaning of the experience into the introduction and other sentences as you explain the experience, rather than having a separate section about that. IMO, it makes reading the research of various fields of many individuals a lot easier on the reader when there's a clear direction drawn from the experiences and discoveries as they read, rather than reading a lot of text detailing the specifics of the experiment without clear motivation, learning, or personal change until thereafter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some information may not be as meaningful to the adcoms, is my guess. Try focusing on the most impactful and meaningful components of your project rather than on every last detail. I'm applying MSTP so I had to basically write the same essay but the SRE essay allowed 10000 characters and I managed to discuss more than 3 research experiences, so you should be able to do it for one in under 3500 characters, provided you limit the scope of your discussion of the details. How detailed are you being about the hypothesis, methods, results and interpretation?

Another strategy is to work the meaning of the experience into the introduction and other sentences as you explain the experience, rather than having a separate section about that. IMO, it makes reading the research of various fields of many individuals a lot easier on the reader when there's a clear direction drawn from the experiences and discoveries as they read, rather than reading a lot of text detailing the specifics of the experiment without clear motivation, learning, or personal change until thereafter.
Great advice, thank you so much!

When I'm providing literature context for my research projection, I'm thinking of doing citations. Is this something common when describing the research projects we are involved in?

When I'm providing literature context for my research projection, I'm thinking of doing citations. Is this something common when describing the research projects we are involved in?
I haven't heard of many people including citations unless they are specifically requested for in secondaries.

I have research experience but I kind of just did grunt things - it was clinical research so I did get to talk to a lot of participants/patients, but I wasn't at all involved in the actual research process and didn't have my own project or anything. I'm not interested in having a research-heavy career (my app emphasizes service), but their research prompt indicated that you have to fill it out if you've had any sort of research experience. Any idea how I can write about this in a positive way?

Case Western, to my understanding, strongly emphasizes research on their website. Lacking experience or interest in it might make you a worse fit for them. There are other schools that more strongly emphasize service and less emphasize research if that's more your wavelength.

Not to speak for Mr. Essman (and if he's reading this--thanks for all your help on this thread and for the podcast!!) but I believe that he and Dr. Mehta discussed in their All Access episode what "counts" as research in a fair bit of detail, so if y'all want to check that out it could be a good resource! Pitt's episode also had a fairly lengthy discussion of research orientation, and I know that Pitt also has a similar reputation for being research-lovers, so that could be another thing to check out for more information on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Case Western, to my understanding, strongly emphasizes research on their website. Lacking experience or interest in it might make you a worse fit for them. There are other schools that more strongly emphasize service and less emphasize research if that's more your wavelength.

I agree that Case isn’t the perfect fit but I was advised to apply through a curriculum connection (membership in a biological sciences curriculum professional organization). There is no requirement to do research before applying.

For more detail, I teach high school and use academic research all the time — by saying I don’t want to pursue a research/academic medicine career, I don’t mean that I said “I’m not willing to do research during school.”

I just know I don’t want to go into research as a professional (more interested in its dissemination, coming from education)

good luck!

Hello friends! I submitted my secondary application but realized afterwards that my covid-19 essay was not uploaded to the answer box. I was thinking about emailing admissions to get an "application extension" to fix this but i don't want to make it seem like I made a silly mistake and had to email them to fix it. Also the essay is optional so i could technically leave it the way things are right now. any thoughts on what i should do next? thanks in advance :D

Hello friends! I submitted my secondary application but realized afterwards that my covid-19 essay was not uploaded to the answer box. I was thinking about emailing admissions to get an "application extension" to fix this but i don't want to make it seem like I made a silly mistake and had to email them to fix it. Also the essay is optional so i could technically leave it the way things are right now. any thoughts on what i should do next? thanks in advance :D
Leave it

Several of my fellow classmates are not interested in research beyond what is required for the curriculum.

that’s what I heard from the curriculum person. I think it’s a great opportunity to be at Case for someone who wants to be a researcher, as well as for someone who just wants to learn how to use it and work with academic med peeps

For the University program, should I answer the optional research question if I have already discussed it as one of my most meaningful experiences on my primary application? I don't want to be redundant but leaving it blank doesn't seem right either.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but in the primary app I realized that I didn't include future hours for activities that I said will extend until next year (so for my current job, I have hrs of 1yr but dates continue until 7/2021). Is this problematic? Will schools understand that I didn't include extra hours or will it raise a flag that im working 'part-time' in my gap years??

If we are writing about a longitudinal project (1 lab, multiple years) for the CCLCM research essay, what level of technical detail is expected? Would it be better to discuss the entire project and showcase our growth, or would it be better to focus on a particular aim in detail and demonstrate independence of thought?

Does anyone else feel like they're not writing enough for these essays? I feel like I've been clear and explain thoroughly for each, but I'm consistently hitting around 2000 characters out of the 3500 provided. I know quality >>> quantity, but I still feel like that's a bit low. Thoughts?

Does anyone else feel like they're not writing enough for these essays? I feel like I've been clear and explain thoroughly for each, but I'm consistently hitting around 2000 characters out of the 3500 provided. I know quality >>> quantity, but I still feel like that's a bit low. Thoughts?
I think if you've said what you wanted to say, you're good! There's no need to drag it out.

anyone else having trouble with the "reflection" essay? seems strangely specific to ask about a decision you made that was "premature," I wish they'd just asked about a general mistake instead

anyone else having trouble with the "reflection" essay? seems strangely specific to ask about a decision you made that was "premature," I wish they'd just asked about a general mistake instead

which one asks about a premature decision?

Hi @CWRU.Sman, I was wondering if CWRU sees essays for the CCLCM as well? For example, if I like an essay I wrote for CCLCM, will CWRU be able to see it as well? Thanks!

I delayed taking the CASPER, because of MCAT delay and I was advised that late July was fine. I am taking it tomorrow. Since my file won't be complete until CASPER is completed, does it matter if I wait another week to submit the secondary?

Or is it better to still turn it in by the two week range! Thank you!

Hi @CWRU.Sman, I was wondering if CWRU sees essays for the CCLCM as well? For example, if I like an essay I wrote for CCLCM, will CWRU be able to see it as well? Thanks!

Hi! I am curious about this as well. I was planning to include a diversity essay for the additional information question, but feel this would be repetitive for CCLCM. But, I would really like the University program to see my diversity essay. Any recommendations CWRU.Sman?

I know it's highly recommended to submit within 2 weeks, but would it be so bad if the app was submitted within 2 weeks and 1 day? I don't think so, but I just wanted to check to see if there's some strict cutoff (not trying to be neurotic!!!)
I'm just a neurotic premed like you, but I would say if you definitely need the extra day, it should be fine - I wouldn't kill yourself over the extra day, especially if it'll make your app better!

I had a similar question because @CWRU.Sman mentioned that admissions reviews were being pushed back into August to accommodate folks. My two week deadline is coming up for Case (but also other schools). If Case is delaying review some, would it be appropriate to do other secondaries first despite passing the 2-week guideline?

Get off SDN and work on your secondaries haha. I'll show myself out...

Hi! I am curious about this as well. I was planning to include a diversity essay for the additional information question, but feel this would be repetitive for CCLCM. But, I would really like the University program to see my diversity essay. Any recommendations CWRU.Sman?

I have the same question - whether CCLCM essays are read by Case, or vise versa (Case essays are read by CCLCM).

@CWRU.Sman for the MSTP secondary, if we wrote a blurb for the describe your research question, will the adcoms only read that blurb or the primary as well? I'm a bit confused by the instructions and how we can write please see primary instead of an essay.

@CWRU.Sman for the MSTP secondary, if we wrote a blurb for the describe your research question, will the adcoms only read that blurb or the primary as well? I'm a bit confused by the instructions and how we can write please see primary instead of an essay.
I believe you can copy-paste your AMCAS statement

I had a similar question because @CWRU.Sman mentioned that admissions reviews were being pushed back into August to accommodate folks. My two week deadline is coming up for Case (but also other schools). If Case is delaying review some, would it be appropriate to do other secondaries first despite passing the 2-week guideline?
The 2-week recommendation is just that - a recommendation. We don't necessarily track if someone submitted on day 15, 16, 17, etc. Just don't sit on it too long and DO NOT wait until the December 15th deadline.

@CWRU.Sman - Is there a timeline on the MSTP applicants? Can I assume the interview invite timeline is roughly the same as the other programs?
MSTP are setting up their interview dates a little differently this year but I don't have all the dets yet. But they are delaying a little bit too.

I delayed taking the CASPER, because of MCAT delay and I was advised that late July was fine. I am taking it tomorrow. Since my file won't be complete until CASPER is completed, does it matter if I wait another week to submit the secondary?
Nope - because we won't put your application into our queue to be reviewed untill all components of your application are received.

The Admissions Committee members see all essays because we are the admissions committee for the entire School of Medicine and approve the decisions of CCLCM and MSTP. University Program screeners won't see your CCLCM essays.

Email us. We'll help you out.

Not to speak for Mr. Essman (and if he's reading this--thanks for all your help on this thread and for the podcast!!) but I believe that he and Dr. Mehta discussed in their All Access episode what "counts" as research in a fair bit of detail, so if y'all want to check that out it could be a good resource! Pitt's episode also had a fairly lengthy discussion of research orientation, and I know that Pitt also has a similar reputation for being research-lovers, so that could be another thing to check out for more information on this.
You're correct and thanks for advocating for my podcast! The University Program defines research very broadly. Yes, check out episode 12.

Hello @CWRU.Sman I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is allowed to be asked, but when do you anticipate II's beginning?

The Admissions Committee members see all essays because we are the admissions committee for the entire School of Medicine and approve the decisions of CCLCM and MSTP. University Program screeners won't see your CCLCM essays.

Oh man, I submitted a while ago but now I really wish I used that first essay for "Why Case" - I apologize in advance for any repetition, haha. But also, thanks for being so active on this thread and for the podcast, it's amazing and super appreciated!

Reactions: 2 users