2020-2021 Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
alternate listed today. Interviewed 12/11. Any idea what chances are for acceptance?
I saw they have ranked waitlisted applicants some years and some years they did not. Wondering if anyone has a feel for this

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
II for MD today! IS, complete 10/26 - there is hope! I was offered date in late Jan

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
II earlier today! OOS complete mid-august!

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone comment on how the interview day is here? Did you like it, etc

Could not emphasize more how much they appreciate you 'being yourself'... in fact, they want your true personality to shine so much that the dean literally has an individual conversational exchange with each student (in a group setting) to learn more about each person's non-academic/non-career-oriented interests.

It felt like I was already a part of their family and there were no curve-ball questions asked.

Student interviewer was super kind and casual. They asked a couple specific questions but then opened it up for conversation and utilized a majority of the time letting me speak about myself, which is when I told her (without them specifically asking me) 'why UConn', why MD/PhD, and then I asked her some questions of my own. Again, the student interviewer valued me as a person and not necessarily my credentials... it was easy to talk to them and ask frank questions like 'what is one criticism of the program'.

Not sure if this applied to MD only applicants, but as an MD/PhD applicant, I was also able to ask frank questions to a group of current MD/PhD students, which was separate from the actual interview part of the day and just a Q/A+chat time.

And like someone else said, they of course have the usual session of program directors talking about the curriculum, program structure, etc.

If you truly enjoy the interview like I did, make sure you send genuine thank you emails to those you met individually. Most don't reply unless you ask a clear question, but I think kindness and thank yous always go a long way, especially in an environment such as this one that is so hospitable to all its interviewees.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Received an II this afternoon (MD) and offered an interview date early next week. OOS (life long New England resident though), secondary complete early august. LM 71.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
More than happy to answer any interview questions you guys might have, just shoot me a DM!

anyone here IS w/ a submission in early August that's still being ghosted. Slightly concerned, especially since I'm LM70 and figured I'd atleast have an II by this time

anyone here IS w/ a submission in early August that's still being ghosted. Slightly concerned, especially since I'm LM70 and figured I'd atleast have an II by this time
Yup. Still being ghosted with same secondary submit timeline :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II for the MD/PhD 🙏 !!!! They assigned me a date in mid-January. Complete 10/27, stats in signature! I don't have any ties to the state or the school (but also though UConn's MD/PhD website doesn't explicitly say, most MD/PhD programs don't put a lot of weight on IS/OOS).
Congrats!!! I’m applying to UConn MD/PhD this upcoming cycle. If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re you’re stats/ strong points of your application?

Congrats!!! I’m applying to UConn MD/PhD this upcoming cycle. If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re you’re stats/ strong points of your application?
My stats are in my signature - 3.5x cGPA and sGPA but balanced by a strong MCAT (520). I'd say the strong point of my app is likely breadth of research experience + good LORs, and I like to think I'm a halfway-decent writer? Not sure if anything else stands out though: my clinical volunteering/shadowing hours are standard if on the low side tbh, and I had a smattering of non-science extracurriculars I was invested in (sports). Hope that helps? Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more in detail about stuff!

Last edited:
My stats are in my signature - 3.5x cGPA and sGPA but balanced by a strong MCAT (520). I'd say the strong point of my app is likely breadth of research experience + good LORs, and I like to think I'm a halfway-decent writer? Not sure if anything else stands out though: my clinical volunteering/shadowing hours are standard if on the low side tbh, and I had a smattering of non-science extracurriculars I was invested in (sports). Hope that helps? Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more in detail about stuff!
Thanks so much! That’s very helpful

I received an interview for next week! IS and complete 10/6

Reactions: 4 users
II today for next week as well! OOS, complete late sept.

anyone have an idea of how many people are placed on the alternate list vs accepted? Do they even reject post II?

anyone have an idea of how many people are placed on the alternate list vs accepted? Do they even reject post II?
Wondering this as well as I was placed on alternate and haven’t seen any post II rejections at least on sdn

Do you know when they sent the last II last year? Wondering if I still have a chance... (IS, complete late August)

Reactions: 1 users
Just looked at last year's thread.... it looks like at least 10 or so SDN people got off the waitlist and a few more by the number that joined the accepted students FB group late-April and early-May. Not sure what this means for so many people on the waitlist right now..

Just looked at last year's thread.... it looks like at least 10 or so SDN people got off the waitlist and a few more by the number that joined the accepted students FB group late-April and early-May. Not sure what this means for so many people on the waitlist right now..
Have you heard of others on the WL? About how many? I was placed on at beginning of Jan.

Just got placed on the alternate list, I interviewed 1/25!

• Care
Accepted today. Interviewed on Jan 22nd. Super excited !!!

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED just now!!! Interviewed on Jan 15. IS
:soexcited:

Congrats to all accepted! UConn School of Medicine Alumni here, let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

• Care
I’ve come to terms that they will probably not be sending me the II sigh no IS love for me :/

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today. Interviewed on Jan 22nd. Super excited !!!
Congrats! Currently a freshman at UConn and hoping to go to UConn med school, what would be your advice for an aspiring freshman on this path?

Congrats! Currently a freshman at UConn and hoping to go to UConn med school, what would be your advice for an aspiring freshman on this path?
Work on your own timeline. Don't be afraid to take gap year(s). Like mom always said, "you rush and you make mistakes."

Oh yeah, and don't cram for exams. Pace yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted! Holy %*#(%U)%*($)!!! So excited! Interviewed on the 25th OOS
huge congrats! any tips for a freshman at uconn looking to go to medical school? I am looking for some clinical volunteering, like a hospice, but due to COVID those opportunities are all put on hold. at the moment im working as a substitute teacher 2 days of the week and taking my classes remotely.

Any current UConn student willing to answer a few questions?

Do you know when they sent the last II last year? Wondering if I still have a chance... (IS, complete late August)
Wondering the same thing... IS, complete late July. Thinking my chances are pretty low at this point.

• Care
Wondering the same thing... IS, complete late July. Thinking my chances are pretty low at this point.
I think most schools started a month or two later this year. A few have sent emails that they have extended their interview season because of the late start. It would not surprise me if every school is not in the same boat with the chaos that has occurred over the past 12 months. No news is good news. That said, the number of outstanding applications I have at this point is triple where I was last year at this time.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
@nyibst, I am unsure of the exact number for my class, but I would estimate a solid ~20 or so students moved off the wait list. Most of the movement came in early May-June.

Hi! Has anyone heard anything about a second look day? I was accepted into the MD/PhD program but haven’t heard anything about visit days.

Got the email about the virtual second look, along with a second look Facebook group and Instagram page.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this school done interviewing?
Got an email from admissions saying they're "interviewing into late March" .... so I think next week might be the last week for interview invites

• Care