2020-2021 Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Connecticut

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten a secondary? IS verified on 6/4 and MCAT Score

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm international and received mine this morning. Does UConn send secondary to all applicants?

What are the prompts? And are there any character/word limits?
Thanks in advance.

What are the prompts? And are there any character/word limits?
Thanks in advance.

(1800 characters/each)

Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

Please take a moment to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic directly and personally affected you as it pertains to preparing for medical school. (e.g. MCAT test date delay, financial impact, research/clinical experiences, self-quarantine, etc.).

Has anybody gotten an email saying they are complete? I submitted my app w/in a few hours of receiving the secondary but have not heard back at all from UConn. The applicant portal doesn't seem to have much info, it's really just where you submit the secondary and it doesn't appear to show the status of your app, whether they received LORs, etc.

Has anybody gotten an email saying they are complete? I submitted my app w/in a few hours of receiving the secondary but have not heard back at all from UConn. The applicant portal doesn't seem to have much info, it's really just where you submit the secondary and it doesn't appear to show the status of your app, whether they received LORs, etc.

Also a CT resident, I have yet to hear back. The portal is just useless lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone got the prompts for MDPHD? Can someone post it here? Thanks!!!

Has anyone gotten the secondary received/completion email?

Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.

Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.
I see you are posting this on various threads. Your stats are really good but no one here sits on the admissions committee and no one knows the other details of your application. so just relax and wait lol. You are not going to get a concrete answer here anyway! Cheers

Reactions: 2 users
I see you are posting this on various threads. Your stats are really good but no one here sits on the admissions committee and no one knows the other details of your application. so just relax and wait lol. You are not going to get a concrete answer here anyway! Cheers
Thanks for your feedback! Sorry for posting too much about the same thing...It is really the anxiety...seeing many IIs being sent out...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your feedback! Sorry for posting too much about the same thing...It is really the anxiety...seeing many IIs being sent out...

Why don't you post your stats and experiences on the "what are my chances" subforum? You will get much better suggestions there. Uconn doesn't really take international students from previous data...And the tuition for OOS is >100K per year and you won't be able to get financial aid. But good luck anyway, you should get some IIs from other programs.

CT resident here taking my MCAT on 9/27 this is the dream people

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Much love to fellow CT residents you’ve got this! ❤️❤

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how they determine residency? I do not remember filling out anything on the secondary. I moved here in January to live with my girlfriend, have a CT license, a job, had to be on unemployment, and now employed full-time again (non-trad student). I can only find it relating to undergraduate admissions.

Does anyone know how they determine residency? I do not remember filling out anything on the secondary. I moved here in January to live with my girlfriend, have a CT license, a job, had to be on unemployment, and now employed full-time again (non-trad student). I can only find it relating to undergraduate admissions.

Not sure how UConn determines resident status so maybe give them a call?
Generally to be determined a CT resident, you need to have a CT address for 180 days or something or live in CT for the entire tax year (I would double check this).

Not sure how UConn determines resident status so maybe give them a call?
Generally to be determined a CT resident, you need to have a CT address for 180 days or something or live in CT for the entire tax year (I would double check this).

Okay sweet, I'll send them an email then and double-check. Thanks for the reply!

So glad I just spent most of yesterday doing the essays for the secondary and then I get on today to complete it only to find that the due date was 2 days ago. Obviously my fault but it's annoying that they didn't send any correspondence at all, especially as this is a fairy early secondary deadline from what I've seen and the deadline is nowhere to be found in the email. Oh well, UConn, enjoy my $41.

So glad I just spent most of yesterday doing the essays for the secondary and then I get on today to complete it only to find that the due date was 2 days ago. Obviously my fault but it's annoying that they didn't send any correspondence at all, especially as this is a fairy early secondary deadline from what I've seen and the deadline is nowhere to be found in the email. Oh well, UConn, enjoy my $41.

I'm so sorry to hear that :/ I agree, the deadline was not apparent at all!

Wait where did you see the deadline for UConn's secondary essays? I never even noticed it

I believe you can reach out to the admissions office and ask for an extension

• Wow
Wait where did you see the deadline for UConn's secondary essays? I never even noticed it
The deadline is on your portal when you open it/click the link for the first time. I'm guessing it's one month since receipt of the secondary, since I got my secondary 7/20 and my deadline was 8/19. The button to start the application was actually grayed out so I wasn't even able to get in. Like all of my secondaries, I've been drafting/editing essays in a google doc, then going to the secondary portal when it's done and doing it all in one go. So I never saw the deadline or obviously I would have got around to finishing it earlier. It's one of my last secondaries left and low on my priority list though, so it's fine but just annoying that their deadline is so cryptic.

The deadline is on your portal when you open it/click the link for the first time. I'm guessing it's one month since receipt of the secondary, since I got my secondary 7/20 and my deadline was 8/19. The button to start the application was actually grayed out so I wasn't even able to get in. Like all of my secondaries, I've been drafting/editing essays in a google doc, then going to the secondary portal when it's done and doing it all in one go. So I never saw the deadline or obviously I would have got around to finishing it earlier. It's one of my last secondaries left and low on my priority list though, so it's fine but just annoying that their deadline is so cryptic.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I have submitted mine already and that's why I can't see my deadline in the portal. I think it's definitely worthwhile to email the admission office as you missed it unintentionally.

this is a little late, but i’m thinking about submitting a primary to UConn. the only thing holding me back was the 2 years of chemistry with lab required as a prerequisite. i used AP for the first semester of gen chem but do any of y’all know if biochemistry with lab would count towards one of the chemistry prereqs?

this is a little late, but i’m thinking about submitting a primary to UConn. the only thing holding me back was the 2 years of chemistry with lab required as a prerequisite. i used AP for the first semester of gen chem but do any of y’all know if biochemistry with lab would count towards one of the chemistry prereqs?

From what I understand yes. On their website they only say one semester needs to be organic chemistry.

Is there significant bias against OOS applicants not from the region? I'm on the fence about submitting my secondary.

So just so you know the normal rule to be a CT resident is you have to have held your address in CT for over 183 days. HOWEVER to get instate tuition you'll need to have lived here for over 12 months prior to having of started your respective program. You can't establish residency by being a student at a state university either.

So just so you know the normal rule to be a CT resident is you have to have held your address in CT for over 183 days. HOWEVER to get instate tuition you'll need to have lived here for over 12 months prior to having of started your respective program. You can't establish residency by being a student at a state university either.
Thanks for the info! So I should qualify for in-state then (have not been a student since moving here), hopefully! I emailed them and have yet to hear back so I appreciate the reply.

Is there significant bias against OOS applicants not from the region? I'm on the fence about submitting my secondary.
Yes, they accept few from out of state and those they do accept tend to have ties to the state and/or her from the region. Anecdotal information, mind you...

Hello everyone. I stupidly forgot that they only give you a month to complete the secondary and just saw that my due date was 8/19 as I went to the website to cut and past my essays in and submit the secondary! I sent them a message via there contact page: Contact Us | School of Medicine. Is there anything else that I could do at this point? I feel like such a ***** because I neglected to check the website. I don't believe any other schools that I applied to had to one month due date. Does anyone know the admissions email for UConn School of Medicine? Any input in what steps I can take to submit the secondary essays will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello everyone. I stupidly forgot that they only give you a month to complete the secondary and just saw that my due date was 8/19 as I went to the website to cut and past my essays in and submit the secondary! I sent them a message via there contact page: Contact Us | School of Medicine. Is there anything else that I could do at this point? I feel like such a ***** because I neglected to check the website. I don't believe any other schools that I applied to had to one month due date. Does anyone know the admissions email for UConn School of Medicine? Any input in what steps I can take to submit the secondary essays will be greatly appreciated!!!

Well...... I made the same mistake. This blows..... I was putting it off while studying for MCAT because I hadn't been able to take it yet.

Well...... I made the same mistake. This blows..... I was putting it off while studying for MCAT because I hadn't been able to take it yet.
Very sorry to hear that. Did you go to Contact Us | School of Medicine and contact them? If you did and get a response, please let me know what they said. I sent them a message earlier today. If anyone is or was in a similar predicament with UConn, please let me know if they allow an extension on the date in which you can submit the secondary application!

Very sorry to hear that. Did you go to Contact Us | School of Medicine and contact them? If you did and get a response, please let me know what they said. I sent them a message earlier today. If anyone is or was in a similar predicament with UConn, please let me know if they allow an extension on the date in which you can submit the secondary application!

Hoping for the best for you both! I used their “Contact Us” page for an unrelated question nearly 10 days ago and still no response :/

Hoping for the best for you both! I used their “Contact Us” page for an unrelated question nearly 10 days ago and still no response :/
Thanks for sharing this. Do you know of any other way to contact them? Any input from anyone who know how to contact UConn School of Medicine other than Contact Us | School of Medicine would be appreciated!!!

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Please do the same for me as well and or let me know if you find another method to contact them. I'm gonna look into more ways tomorrow

My sister has lived in Connecticut for the last 7 years, is this something that I should have mentioned in my secondary application? I remember going through the application and there didn't seem like a good opportunity to mention it, as they never really asked for ties to the state.

Does anyone know when they might start sending out II? Their admissions team does not seem to be on top of things....

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Please do the same for me as well and or let me know if you find another method to contact them. I'm gonna look into more ways tomorrow
I keep attempting to call the number listed on their "contact us" page (Contact Us | School of Medicine), which is 860-679-2000. I ask for admissions but always get the machine. I have left a few messages but have not gotten a response as of yet. Let me know if you have better luck contacting them at their "contact us" page contact number (860-679-2000)!

I keep attempting to call the number listed on their "contact us" page (Contact Us | School of Medicine), which is 860-679-2000. I ask for admissions but always get the machine. I have left a few messages but have not gotten a response as of yet. Let me know if you have better luck contacting them at their "contact us" page contact number (860-679-2000)!
Yeah, I'm basically having the same experience. The worst customer service of all time lol

My sister has lived in Connecticut for the last 7 years, is this something that I should have mentioned in my secondary application? I remember going through the application and there didn't seem like a good opportunity to mention it, as they never really asked for ties to the state.

I lived in CT up until college and my entire family lives there. I went to school OOS and chose to gain CA residency for a shot at a CA medical school, so I am under this same umbrella of OSS applying with strong ties to the state. With so many applicants applying broadly to many schools they dont care much about, I felt this was necessary to mention to stand out in that regard. I worked it into whatever their version of the "why our school" essay was. I believe theirs was something like, "how can UConn help you in your medical career." I mostly talked about what I liked about their school and how it would help my medical career, but I also discussed the benefits of being where I grew up and being close to my family.

That being said, in your post you said "should have mentioned," does this mean you already submitted? If so, don't think about it anymore since you can't change it now. It will only bother you and this process is already stressful enough. I'm sure that ties to the state don't matter too much and by no means will make or break your application. If you get an interview though, find a way to mention this.

I lived in CT up until college and my entire family lives there. I went to school OOS and chose to gain CA residency for a shot at a CA medical school, so I am under this same umbrella of OSS applying with strong ties to the state. With so many applicants applying broadly to many schools they dont care much about, I felt this was necessary to mention to stand out in that regard. I worked it into whatever their version of the "why our school" essay was. I believe theirs was something like, "how can UConn help you in your medical career." I mostly talked about what I liked about their school and how it would help my medical career, but I also discussed the benefits of being where I grew up and being close to my family.

That being said, in your post you said "should have mentioned," does this mean you already submitted? If so, don't think about it anymore since you can't change it now. It will only bother you and this process is already stressful enough. I'm sure that ties to the state don't matter too much and by no means will make or break your application. If you get an interview though, find a way to mention this.

Thank you! :) good luck with the rest of your application cycle