2020-2021 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
alternate list as well :( so bummed this was my only MD

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed in November, deferred January, just placed on the alternate list...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lmao, the wave of everyone coming in to report their results :rofl:

Interview Jan 13, deferred March 3, just got waitlist email as well.

The waiting continues, best of luck everyone! Keep the faith.

Reactions: 2 users
Alternate list Interviewed 2/12... bummed :(

I interviewed on 11/13 and got deferred in early January. I just got an email that I was put on the alternate list. I know it seems pretty hopeless right now and all but I think we have to consider that alot more applicants interviewed this cycle around seeing that all interviews were held online. This means that more students probably have multiple acceptances this cycle around as well. I am hoping there will be alot of movement on that alternate list because of it.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my A and full-tuition scholarship today, hope one of yall get it....feels weird turning down that kind of offer

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
is alternate list the same as waitlist? how many people are on this, seems like quite a lot?

Interviewed 9/16
Deferred 10/15
Alternate List just now!
I will be withdrawing, best of luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 1/29
Deferred 3/25 --> LOI sent 4/5
Accepted today 4/8

Stats: 3.65 cGPA/3.59 sGPA/512
Basically no research, thousands of clinical and thousands of community service

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate after being deferred. Just withdrew!

My first A after being WLed at all the other schools I interviewed at 😭

Interviewed late February. LM 75. IS.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Also got the email that I was put on the alternate list! Congratulations to those that received acceptances!

Withdrew my A and full-tuition scholarship today, hope one of yall get it....feels weird turning down that kind of offer
Jesus, Mary, and Josephine!!!!! You’re a brave soul. Thank you!

Interviewed 9/16
Deferred 10/15
Alternate List just now!
I will be withdrawing, best of luck to everyone else!

Same dates, got the alternate list this morning. Staying on it, really want this to be an acceptance

Interview: Late Jan/Early Feb
Deferred in the last batch a few weeks ago
AL today. Seeing how many people are AL, doesn't give me much hope... Mentally preparing to go somewhere else :(

I interviewed on 11/13 and got deferred in early January. I just got an email that I was put on the alternate list. I know it seems pretty hopeless right now and all but I think we have to consider that alot more applicants interviewed this cycle around seeing that all interviews were held online. This means that more students probably have multiple acceptances this cycle around as well. I am hoping there will be alot of movement on that alternate list because of it.
Does anyone know when we will start seeing movement? With traffic rules and such, when can accepted students only hold one acceptance?

I was deferred in Jan like two weeks after my interview but didn’t hear anything today... bracing myself for the worst lol

Does anyone know when we will start seeing movement? With traffic rules and such, when can accepted students only hold one acceptance?
"On or before April 15, narrow your selection(s) to no more than three schools or programs, and withdraw your acceptance(s) from all other schools or programs; and
On or before April 30, choose the school or program to which you plan to matriculate and promptly withdraw your acceptances from all other schools or programs." - Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants

RE more waitlist movement than last year: This is widely speculated among applicants, but it's likely a hopeful fallacy that there would be more waitlist movement this year than last year. Yes nearly 20% more people applied this year (it was originally speculated that apps would be reduced in 2020, due to the pandemic), and yes, more people may have attended interviews that they otherwise wouldn't have attended due to previous acceptance(s), but schools still only interviewed the most qualified applicants, and they may have even compensated for this interview situation by expanding waitlists (it sure seems like a lot of us are on the AL here). Considering how competitive applications are in a normal cycle, we should have no reason to believe that there would be any more WL moment in this cycle than in any other cycle. At least, that's my opinion.

380 waitlisted last year with 33 accepted at geisinger, so anyone on the alternate list is not in a good position and should start making alternate plans.

Tell me about it! Thankfully, I have some similar offers!! Hope YOU get it lol
Congrats to you! You must be special. And thank you, that’d be a blessing if it went to me given my situation. Have a great day!!

Interviewed in December, Deferred in February, Alternate list email just now. Just withdrew, good luck to you all <3

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
interviewed january 13, deferred march 1, sent letter of intent, waitlisted today
though I was expecting this decision, I'm honestly peeved as I wasn't that qualified for an interview invite in the first place (my only MD II). The interview itself was good practice, but it only prevented me from getting outright rejected.

380 waitlisted last year with 33 accepted at geisinger, so anyone on the alternate list is not in a good position and should start making alternate plans.
this. Although I am beyond grateful to have an acceptance anywhere, I am not thrilled about a cross country move. PCOM is my last chance for being able to stay in PA at this point.

interviewed january 13, deferred march 1, sent letter of intent, waitlisted today
though I was expecting this decision, I'm honestly peeved as I wasn't that qualified for an interview invite in the first place (my only MD II). The interview itself was good practice, but it only prevented me from getting outright rejected.

this. Although I am beyond grateful to have an acceptance anywhere, I am not thrilled about a cross country move. PCOM is my last chance for being able to stay in PA at this point.
lol are you me? I'm in such a similar situation and still waiting to hear back from a last minute interview at PCOM! (but tbh my interviewers at PCOM gave me a really bad impression).

Oh well, I wanted to stay in the area, but on the bright side, a cross country move will give us "connections" to a whole other area of the country for applying to residency! RIP Geisinger, I barely knew you </3

• Care
Does Geisinger actually reject anyone post interview? I feel like they are just WLing everyone... I wish they’d at least tell us our ranking so that we knew if we had any shot of getting in at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Geisinger actually reject anyone post interview? I feel like they are just WLing everyone... I wish they’d at least tell us our ranking so that we knew if we had any shot of getting in at this point.
They are one of the schools that does post-II rejections. Rejections are just under reported

I wish they’d at least tell us our ranking so that we knew if we had any shot of getting in at this point.
this is the one thing I respect about those new expensive for profit DO schools like Noorda and ICOM...they at least tell you your "tier" on the waitlist

this is the one thing I respect about those new expensive for profit DO schools like Noorda and ICOM...they at least tell you your "tier" on the waitlist
Yeah, I just feel like they are avoiding giving people answers. Like they deferred everyone post interview and now they’re just WL everyone. What’s the point of putting 380 people on WL? I’m just sick of waiting and this was one of two schools interviewed at and have yet to get a real decision...

I agree, I don't think us waitlisted people can really expect anything positive at this point, especially according to last year's 8% chance of coming off the waitlist. I've seen last year's thread receiving phone calls up to July, but I'm not sure if I can mentally shift gears at that point lol

• Sad
last year's thread receiving phone calls up to July, but I'm not sure if I can mentally shift gears at that point lol
as long as it's up to july and not up to august, that's fine i suppose. My 1st semester tuition is due late july at my school

I agree, I don't think us waitlisted people can really expect anything positive at this point, especially according to last year's 8% chance of coming off the waitlist. I've seen last year's thread receiving phone calls up to July, but I'm not sure if I can mentally shift gears at that point lol
I could shift into any gear if it meant receiving a full ride! 🤷🏻‍♂️😅

does anyone know if a LOI must be stated in subject line or within email or if it could be in a thank you for updating me on my application (replying to the one I got)

does anyone know if a LOI must be stated in subject line or within email or if it could be in a thank you for updating me on my application (replying to the one I got)
I would state it in the subject line as I’ve heard that some medical admissions office staff auto delete thank you emails upon receipt :)

Interviewed early March, WL today. Fingers crossed, my only MD I interviewed at. Some amazing faculty here 🤞

I'm sure this was asked before but I had trouble finding it in the thread, but when can accepted applicants expect to hear whether they were also accepted into the Primary Care Scholars Program? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the decision would come about a week after acceptance to the regular program, can anyone confirm this or am I remembering things wrong?

So I assume geisinger’s waitlist does not move til May? Just wondering if we can expect any news right after 4/15

Did anyone interview 3/1 or earlier and not hear back yet?

So I assume geisinger’s waitlist does not move til May? Just wondering if we can expect any news right after 4/15
Yeah, don't think we will hear anything until after 4/30! Atleast that is how it was for the previous years.