2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swear this is my third time applying to this school, decent improvements each time, and still got a pre-II R.

I even worked specifically on the feedback they offered me, I don't know what else I could do. OOS btw.
IU just has a very strong in state bias. They're trying to keep us hoosiers in the state

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IU just has a very strong in state bias. They're trying to keep us hoosiers in the state
Agreed, IU is a great school and an excellent choice for instate kids that want to practice here to address the healthcare challenges of Hoosiers so a huge bias is to be expected. It also happens to be the only MD school here in Indiana so it’s even more competitive!

Pre-II R yesterday evening. OOS, non-trad, LM 71. Good luck to everyone still in the running :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, IU is a great school and an excellent choice for instate kids that want to practice here to address the healthcare challenges of Hoosiers so a huge bias is to be expected. It also happens to be the only MD school here in Indiana so it’s even more competitive!

That’s very valid. As someone still waiting to hear back from a decent amount of IS schools in the mitten, I wish y’all the best of luck.

Has anyone that is IS gotten a post-II R? I had my interview early October and I thought I would've heard back from them by now. I'm hoping to get the A this month but with my luck it'll be more radio silence.

For all accepted students, does anyone know how to log in to One.IU? I got an email about reviewing scholarship opportunities but I am unable to log in. I sent an email but wondering if anyone was able to gain access already.

For all accepted students, does anyone know how to log in to One.IU? I got an email about reviewing scholarship opportunities but I am unable to log in. I sent an email but wondering if anyone was able to gain access already.
I was planning on emailing them about this. I don’t have a one.iu account and you can’t just sign up for one apparently.

If the email from Indiana University Scholarships, know that you most likely won’t be eligible for those because those are for mainly undergraduate and graduate students. I got that email too and I never bother looking at them because I’ve looked at the opportunities selected for me in the past and I was never eligible for them (due to me not being undergrad or a PhD or masters student). N=1 but just wanted to let you know.

IUSM has their own list of scholarships specifically for medical students only that you get considered for as soon as Director Espada reaches out to you to fill out a form.

If the email from Indiana University Scholarships, know that you most likely won’t be eligible for those because those are for mainly undergraduate and graduate students. I got that email too and I never bother looking at them because I’ve looked at the opportunities selected for me in the past and I was never eligible for them (due to me not being undergrad or a PhD or masters student). N=1 but just wanted to let you know.

IUSM has their own list of scholarships specifically for medical students only that you get considered for as soon as Director Espada reaches out to you to fill out a form.
Yep that's exactly where it came from. Thanks so much for the info!

I was planning on emailing them about this. I don’t have a one.iu account and you can’t just sign up for one apparently.
Exactly, if I get a reply to my email I'll let it be known. It's probably just something we'll have to wait on.

Has anyone that is IS gotten a post-II R? I had my interview early October and I thought I would've heard back from them by now. I'm hoping to get the A this month but with my luck it'll be more radio silence.
Im in the same boat and wondering the same thing

Exactly, if I get a reply to my email I'll let it be known. It's probably just something we'll have to wait on.
That’s part of the onboarding experience. I believe once you officially commit, you have to create your first IU computing account which can be found through One.IU. You will have to have a student ID so you have to be assigned one and be in the IU system to be assigned a student ID.

Financial aid stuff will come your way more in the spring semester. If you know you’re going to IUSM for sure (even if you haven’t been accepted), I’d submit your FAFSA to IUPUI. I did that last year and that helped fast track financial aid information for me as a first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s part of the onboarding experience. I believe once you officially commit, you have to create your first IU computing account which can be found through One.IU. You will have to have a student ID so you have to be assigned one and be in the IU system to be assigned a student ID.

Financial aid stuff will come your way more in the spring semester. If you know you’re going to IUSM for sure (even if you haven’t been accepted), I’d submit your FAFSA to IUPUI. I did that last year and that helped fast track financial aid information for me as a first year.
Oh perfect, I added IUPUI to my FAFSA. Thank you again for all this info, it's super helpful!

Yes, I personally know multiple IS people who have received pre-II R’s but no post II R’s so far
Okay I appreciate it. I haven't heard anything but I know they're slow so I wanted to know if they sent in state R's pre II.

Have there been any IS R's?
I know they have mentioned that it's not a true rolling admissions bc they could keep your app and not make a decision till the end of the cycle even if you interviewed early so maybe thats why we haven't heard of any post II Rs yet

I received a rejection as well. Not really surprised because my Mcat score was low. I lived in Indiana for 21 years but considered OOS now since I moved. However, I attended IU for undergrad. Great school overall.

Anyone else interviewed for the rural program at Terre Haute? If so, have you heard back?

lol they had some questions that really threw me off and I was not at all prepared for
I wouldn't fret. Nice thing about RMEP is that (1) you have to be invited to apply to the program, which limits the number of applicants. And (2) the relative interest in rural practice is low.

I got a II just now but I am surprised that I got it. I think it may be a mistake lol. I have a few questions for those that know,

1) Do we have to have one non-science letter of recommendation? I am confused how I got a II and I do not have one. Just two science letters and a physician letter. I can get one as this semester I took a non science course.

2) What are we supposed to choose when we go to the graduate online application? I saw all these options and that confused me a lot.

3) Did anyone have trouble getting the Dean of Students Evaluation done during these times?

Thank you guys for all the help!

I got a II just now but I am surprised that I got it. I think it may be a mistake lol. I have a few questions for those that know,

1) Do we have to have one non-science letter of recommendation? I am confused how I got a II and I do not have one. Just two science letters and a physician letter. I can get one as this semester I took a non science course.

2) What are we supposed to choose when we go to the graduate online application? I saw all these options and that confused me a lot.

3) Did anyone have trouble getting the Dean of Students Evaluation done during these times?

1) You do not need a non-science letter. I was in the same boat and they accepted a second science letter in its place.

2) Select the Medicine MD with the Fall 2021 start term.

3) I just emailed the Dean of Students Evaluation at my school and he mailed the form for me. Other people on this thread have been able to email the completed form back to the Indiana admissions people instead of mailing it in.

Good luck!

I just received an II. Super excited, complete in September. In looking @ the LOR required, I realized I don't have a personal letter. I am not sure if they look at LOR before sending an II and if they don't, would they consider my application if I don't have a personal one. Thank you!!!

Just got assigned a date for mid-January! It's during my first biochem lab of the semester which isn't ideal, but I'm excited!

I just received an II. Super excited, complete in September. In looking @ the LOR required, I realized I don't have a personal letter. I am not sure if they look at LOR before sending an II and if they don't, would they consider my application if I don't have a personal one. Thank you!!!
they don't look at LORs before sending an II. Research/professor letters and physician letters count as non-science letters. Just email them.

where do you see the interview date? or is the date only assigned after completion of all the requirements?

where do you see the interview date? or is the date only assigned after completion of all the requirements?
They send an email telling you what your interview date and time is. I received the email exactly 3 weeks after completing all of the requirements.

they don't look at LORs before sending an II. Research/professor letters and physician letters count as non-science letters. Just email them.
Thank you, I have emailed them :). I have two science and two non-science letters. I'll ask a mentor if he can write one for me in the meantime

Just received an II, OOS.

But I am confused on next steps.

So I didnt know that they only wanted 3 letters max and it shows that I sent them my 5 letters I was sending to most school.

Do I need to email them to tell them which letters to consider?

Also,do you not get a date until you send them everything?

And how do I get the dean evaluation?

Ditto. I don't even know where to go to get a non-science letter. sight. I was thinking of calling them tmr and asking them if not having a non-science letter will be a detriment to our application. If anyone has an update on this, please kindly let us know thanks!

Ditto. I don't even know where to go to get a non-science letter. sight. I was thinking of calling them tmr and asking them if not having a non-science letter will be a detriment to our application. If anyone has an update on this, please kindly let us know thanks!
I was told that two science letters are okay in substitution of the non science letter

1) You do not need a non-science letter. I was in the same boat and they accepted a second science letter in its place.

2) Select the Medicine MD with the Fall 2021 start term.

3) I just emailed the Dean of Students Evaluation at my school and he mailed the form for me. Other people on this thread have been able to email the completed form back to the Indiana admissions people instead of mailing it in.

Good luck!
Thank you!!

Just received an II, OOS.

But I am confused on next steps.

So I didnt know that they only wanted 3 letters max and it shows that I sent them my 5 letters I was sending to most school.

Do I need to email them to tell them which letters to consider?

Also,do you not get a date until you send them everything?

And how do I get the dean evaluation?
I too sent 4 or 5 letters and I emailed the admissions office a few months ago. This is what they said:

"We will review all letters and mark the ones that meet our requirements. Any additional letters will be marked as supplemental and made available should the committee wish to view them. We are able to substitute a second Science letter in place of the Non-Science letter."

It may take a few months to get a date. Just make sure you send them all the stuff they request and then just patiently wait. The Dean's evaluation should be in the email they sent you with the interview invite.

Just got assigned a date for mid-January! It's during my first biochem lab of the semester which isn't ideal, but I'm excited!
Me too! They gave me enough time to request the day off for work. Very kind

I was invited for an interview on 9/29 and they just got back to me today and scheduled me for 1/6. If anyone is still waiting, just keep being patient they will contact you eventually

Congrats! Good luck!! How do you know/get your assigned date? I got an II earlier today but a little bit confused how scheduling works.

So you have to fill out all the forms that IU sends you. One is uploaded to portal, one emailed to them. The other you have to sign your stuff and send it to the dean of students at your school. Call the office they should know what you're talking about. Email it to them, they'll fill out their end and send it to IU.

After that it's a waiting game and IU will send you an interview date when they decide it. You don't decide. I got emailed today for an interview date in mid January, first communication I heard from them since they gave me the II last month.

Reactions: 2 users