2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you have to fill out all the forms that IU sends you. One is uploaded to portal, one emailed to them. The other you have to sign your stuff and send it to the dean of students at your school. Call the office they should know what you're talking about. Email it to them, they'll fill out their end and send it to IU.

After that it's a waiting game and IU will send you an interview date when they decide it. You don't decide. I got emailed today for an interview date in mid January, first communication I heard from them since they gave me the II last month.
Thank you! This was super helpful. Good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has this interview process rubbed anyone the wrong way about the school? I don't know if its me, but they made the whole process so confusing and wayyy more work than it needed to be. Things could have been uploaded to a single portal, and payments could have been made in the same portal like 98% of other schools. On top of that, when and how they choose our interview dates aren't even in our hands. I don't know if its just because I'm frustrated and haven't heard back from them since submitting everything, but I feel like this whole process (especially for a large school with lots of resources) could have been managed better...

Reactions: 7 users
Has this interview process rubbed anyone the wrong way about the school? I don't know if its me, but they made the whole process so confusing and wayyy more work than it needed to be. Things could have been uploaded to a single portal, and payments could have been made in the same portal like 98% of other schools. On top of that, when and how they choose our interview dates aren't even in our hands. I don't know if its just because I'm frustrated and haven't heard back from them since submitting everything, but I feel like this whole process (especially for a large school with lots of resources) could have been managed better...
Maybe not quite rubbed me the wrong way, but definitely didn't have a positive effect. I agree, I feel like there were so many steps and so much waiting after the interview invite, which I didn't experience at any other school (every other school was pretty much like congrats, pick a date, see you then). The actual interview day itself didn't have the best effect on my opinion of the school. The students in the student Q&A didn't seem like they were too enthusiastic about the school, and the interview itself seemed very impersonal. Trying not to base my opinion of the school too much on the application process but it's definitely tough not to project it onto your view of the school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe not quite rubbed me the wrong way, but definitely didn't have a positive effect. I agree, I feel like there were so many steps and so much waiting after the interview invite, which I didn't experience at any other school (every other school was pretty much like congrats, pick a date, see you then). The actual interview day itself didn't have the best effect on my opinion of the school. The students in the student Q&A didn't seem like they were too enthusiastic about the school, and the interview itself seemed very impersonal. Trying not to base my opinion of the school too much on the application process but it's definitely tough not to project it onto your view of the school.
Yeah I agree with you a 100%. It just has me worried because a few people who have gotten into med school before me have given me the advice that how a school handles adversity or themselves during the application process isn't going to change much once you get into the school. If for example a school is disorganized during the application cycle, you can bet there will be similar issues during MS1 and beyond. I guess maybe some current students can chime in, but it just seems disjointed and somewhat impersonal as if they don't have the time to care... Please tell me I'm wrong lol

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree with you a 100%. It just has me worried because a few people who have gotten into med school before me have given me the advice that how a school handles adversity or themselves during the application process isn't going to change much once you get into the school. If for example a school is disorganized during the application cycle, you can bet there will be similar issues during MS1 and beyond. I guess maybe some current students can chime in, but it just seems disjointed and somewhat impersonal as if they don't have the time to care... Please tell me I'm wrong lol
I feel like they interview so many people that they tend to be slow. I mean it is the biggest med school in the country so I'd be understanding of delays, especially this year. I do understand the frustration of not getting a date in a timely manner though and the complicated process to get the date.

Reactions: 2 users
So are the chances good at getting accepted after an interview? Just curious. For reference I am an OOS applicant.

For OOS they only accept roughly 35% of those interviewed :/ Here's the data compiled from last year if your interested in delving in deeper:

Thank you so much! I was asking because I am kind of hesitant to pay the 70 and interview if I do not have a super high chance. However, I just paid and sent all my documents in because might as well take the chance and pray haha.

Yeah, the interview process is pretty standard at IUSM because it's open file and they have a certain amount of questions and types of questions that they have to ask you. I'm sorry that the students seem to be not that enthusiastic about the school...I can tell you that I love the school and I have no regrets picking Indiana. When I was going through this process, it was tough for me to not feel bitter or lackluster due to the ample waiting time and the multiple hoops it felt like I had to jump through to be considered as a valid candidate. Looking back, it was all worth it.

I mean personally, MS1 is super low on the totem pole. With the coronavirus and the unique challenges it poses, I definitely feel as if the administration, in particular, is more focused on making sure MS3s and MS4s have a typical experience and have a good residency application process.

Sure, there's a lot on our plate as MS1s with accelerated schedules and Zoom fatigue but the student community at my campus, in particular, helps it feel less exhausting and more cared for, more than anything else. At the end of the day, there is only so much admin can do to make us feel cared for.

Hang in there, y'all. You've made it this far and that is nothing short of incredible!

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

• Care
Anyone else interviewed for the rural program at Terre Haute? If so, have you heard back?
I interviewed in early October and I was accepted to the program on November 16th! Made my final decision that I’ll be doing it!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed in early October and I was accepted to the program on November 16th! Made my final decision that I’ll be doing it!
Congrats, I interviewed early November and have not heard back yet

So I heard decisions come out on the 15th of every month? Hoping for some good news tomorrow :oops:

Reactions: 9 users
Does Indidan not waive the fee for the application even if you have the FAP?

Members don't see this ad :)
No they do not. I emailed them to ask them the same thing and even FAP recipients must pay the fee

Dang really? Now I need to contemplate if it's worth me going through with it or if I should just withdraw my app...

Dang really? Now I need to contemplate if it's worth me going through with it or if I should just withdraw my app...
Yeah, which sucks because as a FAP recipient, $70 is a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received an II last week. Primary sent on 9/16. OOS .

I submitted the grad application fee, how long will that take to become a check mark on the portal. Also my letter packer has the required letter writer type PLUS addl ones. Will it eventually become a check mark as well or do I need to make a new letter packet containing only 3 letters

Received an II last week. Primary sent on 9/16. OOS .

I submitted the grad application fee, how long will that take to become a check mark on the portal. Also my letter packer has the required letter writer type PLUS addl ones. Will it eventually become a check mark as well or do I need to make a new letter packet containing only 3 letters
I think it took about 7-10 days for the grad application fee check mark to appear. They will review the letters and you don't need to submit a new packet. I think it took about a month to get all my stuff marked complete so now you just have to wait for the interview date.

I know this question gets asked all the time, but is there anyone who has their own info on all the different regional campuses? I feel there is not enough information about their differences on IU's website. I am especially interested in the pros and cons of Bloomington, South Bend, and Fort Wayne including each individual city and the benefits of the actual medical school in each city.

• Hmm
Is it smart to aim for a non-science LoR or 2 science LoRs would be just fine? I doubt I'll be able to connect well with a professor being virtual courses.

Is it smart to aim for a non-science LoR or 2 science LoRs would be just fine? I doubt I'll be able to connect well with a professor being virtual courses.
I believe Indiana allows you to substitute their non-science letter requirement with a science letter, but for other schools, you might want to get a non-science one just in case. You can attend office hours, bring 2 or 3 questions, participate and ask questions to your TA to help connect well with professors. Where there's a will, there's a way!

To decline the II, should I just not submit the application and docs or should I email them and let them know that I am declining my invitation to interview?

To decline the II, should I just not submit the application and docs or should I email them and let them know that I am declining my invitation to interview?
Email seems best

I know this question gets asked all the time, but is there anyone who has their own info on all the different regional campuses? I feel there is not enough information about their differences on IU's website. I am especially interested in the pros and cons of Bloomington, South Bend, and Fort Wayne including each individual city and the benefits of the actual medical school in each city.

I can answer questions in general about the Fort Wayne campus and especially Fort Wayne as a city if anyone has them since I live here (and attended undergrad on the same campus as the med school, walked past the building every day). If there is an actual medical student at the Fort Wayne campus who wants to speak up though, I'm sure you can be a lot more help than I can!

Last edited:
I can answer questions in general about the Fort Wayne campus and especially Fort Wayne if anyone has them since I live here (and attended undergrad on the same campus as the med school, walked past the building every day). If there is an actual medical student at the Fort Wayne campus who wants to speak up though, I'm sure you can be a lot more help than I can!
Go for it, haha! I'm not that familiar with Fort Wayne so you'd probably know more than me. I can answer questions about Bloomington and Indy since I've lived and worked with respect to the medical school on both campuses.

Go for it, haha! I'm not that familiar with Fort Wayne so you'd probably know more than me. I can answer questions about Bloomington and Indy since I've lived and worked with respect to the medical school on both campuses.
I have lived in both South Bend and Fort Wayne. So I can answer general city questions about those places.. although I do not have much to say about the med school campuses other than where they are in the city lol. There are also YouTube videos about each of the campuses that are pretty helpful about highlighting what is unique about each one!

@MoreSleepPlz @swimsingmed
If you could both just talk about your impressions of the cities that would be fantastic. Then maybe later someone else could chime in on the campus itself if they are a student there.
Some basic questions to kind of lead it off... Is SB/FW a safe area? Is there much to do outside of class? I am spacing other specific questions, but
just any other info (pros/cons) that you would give a friend who was interested in moving to the city.
Thank you! I/we appreciate all the effort from others so much.

@MoreSleepPlz @swimsingmed
If you could both just talk about your impressions of the cities that would be fantastic. Then maybe later someone else could chime in on the campus itself if they are a student there.
Some basic questions to kind of lead it off... Is SB/FW a safe area? Is there much to do outside of class? I am spacing other specific questions, but
just any other info (pros/cons) that you would give a friend who was interested in moving to the city.
Thank you! I/we appreciate all the effort from others so much.
There is tons to do in both places! Lots of diverse food choices, music, parks and things for those who enjoy more nature activities. There are great river walkways in the SB area. In terms of safety, both are fine—some parts are more safe than others just like every other place. FW is about 2.5 times bigger than SB. Both are surrounded by smaller towns, but FW has more “suburban” areas. Outskirts of SB are more rural (which is where I live). I grew up in FW and it was great. There are some awesome neighborhoods there. I have lived outside of SB for the last three years and I love it. You would probably spend more time in “traffic” in FW, and if I had to pick which is less safe I would also say FW. But you really can’t go wrong with either. FW is a “bigger city” feel and SB is more of a small city. So just depends on what you like.

For the rural medicine program, are those decisions about being made on the 15th of every month? And do you know if we are also being considered for regular admissions and not only admissions into the rural program?

For the rural medicine program, are those decisions about being made on the 15th of every month? And do you know if we are also being considered for regular admissions and not only admissions into the rural program?
Wondering the same thing! I kinda doubt it but it would be nice

Has anyone who interviewed for the MSTP gotten a decision back from the program? I've only heard from the MD side of things. I emailed and asked if that meant I had been moved to MD-only consideration and they said no, they were waiting on a decision from graduate programs.

Anyone know if Indiana will accept the Dean of Students Evaluation via email?

Anyone know if Indiana will accept the Dean of Students Evaluation via email?
I emailed them and they said to have the person in charge of that at your school to email it to them or mail it in.

I emailed them and they said to have the person in charge of that at your school to email it to them or mail it in.
Great, that's good news! My undergrad seems to only want to do it via email (which is understandable). They should email it to the office of admissions, correct?

Great, that's good news! My undergrad seems to only want to do it via email (which is understandable). They should email it to the office of admissions, correct?
Yes that’s correct! My undergrad also only does it via email and they were a bit slow about it since they’re super backed up so I’d try to see if they can assign yours higher priority