2020-2021 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we accepted our offer of admission by signing the document and emailing it, do we have to sign the physical form and mail it as well? Please say no.

Members don't see this ad.

If we accepted our offer of admission by signing the document and emailing it, do we have to sign the physical form and mail it as well? Please say no.
I signed and emailed it, and then when I went to rank campus preference in the portal, there was a second thing that basically had you check a box that you accept or don't accept their offer. I did that, and figured two was enough so I didn't sign and mail the physical form.

Reactions: 1 user
To the people who already interviewed: without getting too specific with questions, how much research needs to be done beforehand on things like competencies? I have also seen most people in other places say 9 competencies, but on their website there is only 6. Have they recently changed this number? Also, were most of the questions pretty straightforward / expected or where there a lot of unexpected questions? Was it overall pretty conversational or was it more just like question without follow up? Thanks in advanced!
I went into it the same for any interview, prepared to talk about myself, but also with enough research on the school to say why I wanted to go there and why I was a good fit for it. They don't quiz you on anything. It was the least conversational interview I had, with probably the hardest questions I've had, BUT by no means were any of them super stressful, unfair, or truly that hard of questions (just a little more thinking than other schools). It was still a pretty straightforward interview at the end of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am a current M1 at IUSM on the West Lafayette campus.

I know many of you who have interviewed and/or have been accepted into IUSM have been worried about campus selection.

I will say from my experience that there is really not that much difference being on a regional campus compared to the Indy campus. In terms of academics, the experience of having a smaller class was much better for me in my classes. In addition, you have access to all lectures from last year and this year statewide, so you are not constrained by your home campus lectures.

In terms of extracurricular opportunities/research, regional campuses still provide a lot of opportunities for you guys as well.

If anyone has any questions about IUSM or regional campuses, just let me know.
To piggy back off of this post, I’m a current M1 at the Bloomington campus. I don’t have much to add but I like the smaller class size a lot better at my campus. It’s been easier to get to know people, especially with the pandemic making all in person things nonexistent.

Feel free to ask me questions about IUSM and my campus experience, too. I also am familiar with Indy campus stuff too for the most part.

Hello. Would you say most people at your campus chose it as their first choice. I know that most pick Indianapolis as their preferred campus, but West Lafayette is mine and my fiancé's primary choice given that we have so much family in the area. I am just wondering about our chances.

I went into it the same for any interview, prepared to talk about myself, but also with enough research on the school to say why I wanted to go there and why I was a good fit for it. They don't quiz you on anything. It was the least conversational interview I had, with probably the hardest questions I've had, BUT by no means were any of them super stressful, unfair, or truly that hard of questions (just a little more thinking than other schools). It was still a pretty straightforward interview at the end of the day.
Hard but not stressful questions...Im already stressing out now

just the email is fine. you will see it in the doc upload eventually so you know they got it

Hello. Would you say most people at your campus chose it as their first choice. I know that most pick Indianapolis as their preferred campus, but West Lafayette is mine and my fiancé's primary choice given that we have so much family in the area. I am just wondering about our chances.
Your chances of getting WL are super high. I wouldn’t say 100 percent but they definitely try to match you to your top 3 campuses. Most people pick Indy as their first choice so since both of you are picking WL for #1, you’ll have a higher chance of getting WL.

Indy, BL, and WL are usually more of the popular campus choices. Most people in my campus had BL somewhere along their top 5 rankings. Some are SC students so they had no choice but to be in BL since their SC is only offered in BL. Some like me had BL as their second choice.

A friend of mine had the same rankings as me except they flipped BL and WL. They got WL (their second choice).

Your chances of getting WL are super high. I wouldn’t say 100 percent but they definitely try to match you to your top 3 campuses. Most people pick Indy as their first choice so since both of you are picking WL for #1, you’ll have a higher chance of getting WL.

Indy, BL, and WL are usually more of the popular campus choices. Most people in my campus had BL somewhere along their top 5 rankings. Some are SC students so they had no choice but to be in BL since their SC is only offered in BL. Some like me had BL as their second choice.

A friend of mine had the same rankings as me except they flipped BL and WL. They got WL (their second choice).
Are students still allowed to participate in the SC even if they did not do the formal application for it? Being an engineering major, another reason I wanted to attend the WL campus is to partake in the biomedical engineering concentration. As stated, I applied through the normal admissions but I thought I could partake in the SC as long as I was placed there.

Underneath the Interview Schedule in the portal, Does everyone's section for type say "MD Indianapolis". It is under the Web Interview Tab and you scroll to the very bottom (where the interviewers names are) and is on the right side.

When did you see it in the document upload? I emailed my response Dec. 17 and don't see anything yet.
I sent mine on Dec. 15 and also don't see anything in the portal yet. Perhaps they will upload after the holidays are over. Have you had any luck with setting up your Exchange email? I have been trying but keep getting an error message. Feel free to PM me.

Are students still allowed to participate in the SC even if they did not do the formal application for it? Being an engineering major, another reason I wanted to attend the WL campus is to partake in the biomedical engineering concentration. As stated, I applied through the normal admissions but I thought I could partake in the SC as long as I was placed there.
You’ll have to apply for it as a first year through a formal application process. The app opens up sometime in September during your first year. There’s a similar ranking system where you can rank & apply to 3 different SCs. Keep in mind you can’t apply to ones that are specifically at other campuses only (aka ones that aren’t statewide).
I sent mine on Dec. 15 and also don't see anything in the portal yet. Perhaps they will upload after the holidays are over. Have you had any luck with setting up your Exchange email? I have been trying but keep getting an error message. Feel free to PM me.

Contact UITS for help on setting up your exchange profile.

Also it is the holiday season, we officially go back around Jan 11 so I think you might get updates after then.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Was recently extended an interview slot! Prior to being scheduled, how did anyone obtain the Dean's Student Evaluation form signed?

Anyone that got an II before the holidays (12/10) who sent in their Dean Eval (submitted 12/11) still not have it uploaded or have a date?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone that got an II before the holidays (12/10) who sent in their Dean Eval (submitted 12/11) still not have it uploaded or have a date?
I received an II on the same day. My Dean Eval was uploaded ~2 days after it was sent in. Still don't have a date though!

Reactions: 1 users
To accepted students, what is the exchange profile/email? I don't see anything about that in the acceptance letter.

To accepted students, what is the exchange profile/email? I don't see anything about that in the acceptance letter.
Congratulations and welcome! You'll have to set up a new IU computing account. Look up how to do it on the IU Knowledge Base (Google it!) or contact UITS (that's the university's technology services) and they'll be able to walk you through it. I'm too lazy to write out the steps to do it here otherwise I totally would.

If there isn't already a forum I think it would be fun to make one as well!

Usually, IUSM admin makes a Facebook group for the next class sometime later this month! Be on the lookout for that. And eventually, y'all get added to a classwide GroupMe sometime in the summer. There are a TON of GroupMes in your future 😂

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome! You'll have to set up a new IU computing account. Look up how to do it on the IU Knowledge Base (Google it!) or contact UITS (that's the university's technology services) and they'll be able to walk you through it. I'm too lazy to write out the steps to do it here otherwise I totally would.
Thank you for your response, but I am confused as to what this computing account is? I never received any info about it in my acceptance letter so I don't understand why I need to create one?

Thank you for your response, but I am confused as to what this computing account is? I never received any info about it in my acceptance letter so I don't understand why I need to create one?
It’s so that you can receive emails using the Microsoft exchange service which is more secure and HIPAA compliant.

does anyone know the turnaround for acceptances for the school?
Decisions come out the 15th of each month, some people get theirs the next month, some people have been passed over until the following month from what I've seen.

Did any accepted students get an email this morning about a background check? I'm trying to figure out which school mandates it and waiting on post interview decisions from a couple other places, so I'm trying to determine if this was an IU thing or good news from somewhere else

Did any accepted students get an email this morning about a background check? I'm trying to figure out which school mandates it and waiting on post interview decisions from a couple other places, so I'm trying to determine if this was an IU thing or good news from somewhere else
I also got the background check email. I currently hold acceptances at IU and UCCOM so it could be from either.

I just activated my email address, any accepted or current students know what the next steps are? Also, does anyone know what the housing situation is like particularly at the West Lafayette campus? This might be better suited for the class of 2025 thread but I can't find it :(

I just activated my email address, any accepted or current students know what the next steps are? Also, does anyone know what the housing situation is like particularly at the West Lafayette campus? This might be better suited for the class of 2025 thread but I can't find it :(
Congratulations, and welcome!

I'd download Outlook (desktop) and sign in using your IU address...other than that, there's nothing you have to do! IUSM will send you emails on what the next steps are, there really isn't much to do other than make sure your FAFSA is sent in. All of the rest of the onboarding happens in the summer.

I'd start researching apartments around the WL area...as far as I know, there isn't strictly student housing provided anywhere at that campus. It's also quite possible that they have not created the c/o 2025 Facebook group yet. Oh, and when you get a parking pass, if you live within a 1.5-mile radius of Lyles Porter Hall, they won’t grant you a pass. But you can get around it by listing your parents' address.

For students who already know they'll be in Indy, this list has a lot of the places students live.

Oh, and the WL subreddit is another great place to check out and see what apartments are a huge no-no.

Last edited:
I’m there right now and try to stay away from Granite apartments. I’m living with Weida rn and I like them. I’d stay away from Rise and Inspire too just bc they’re hella expensive. There is usually plenty of options but they tend to fill up pretty fast since people at Purdue tend to sign leases in September/October.

Can anyone speak to an approximate timeline for getting your interview date after all of your documents have been turned in?

They invited me for an interview September 29th and I turned everything in that day and they gave me a date December 10th. That was my own personal experience, I don't know if it's faster for people.

Can anyone speak to an approximate timeline for getting your interview date after all of your documents have been turned in?
They gave me a date sept 29, I turned everything in ASAP and in early December they finally gave me a date (Jan 6). I was missing a non science prof letter of rec and they notified me a week before my interview but said I could turn it in up to 30 days after the interview.

Hey y'all! I am an IS app with LM 69 and I interviewed here on October 14th. I haven't heard back yet and am going kinda crazy since this is my first choice and I was looking if anyone had any similar experiences or could reassure me that there is still hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all! I am an IS app with LM 69 and I interviewed here on October 14th. I haven't heard back yet and am going kinda crazy since this is my first choice and I was looking if anyone had any similar experiences or could reassure me that there is still hope!
I'm IS too with LM 72. I interviewed early October as well. I know a bunch of people who have already been accepted, but don't lose hope, there's still a chance for us!

I am in your exact same shoes, though I don’t have much hope to offer 😂

On the portal it says I have two prereqs not met. I finished both last semester so the grades weren't posted on my transcript sent to AMCAS. Is this something I should email them about? I don't really want to have to send a transcript to AMCAS again and then send a finalized one shortly after. Thanks!

Will be withdrawing & cancelling my interview here, hope it goes to one of you!! :)

Finally got my interview date today, scheduled for 2/10! Originally received the interview invite on 12/10. OOS with ties, complete end of September, LM 70.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm IS too with LM 72. I interviewed early October as well. I know a bunch of people who have already been accepted, but don't lose hope, there's still a chance for us!
I am in your exact same shoes, though I don’t have much hope to offer 😂
Thank you guys lol! Wishing us all the best :)

Did anyone else get the CASPER email yesterday? I already took Casper and sent it to IU. Just making sure it's something they send to everyone lol

Did anyone else get the CASPER email yesterday? I already took Casper and sent it to IU. Just making sure it's something they send to everyone lol
I got it too and I also already sent it to iu

Just got my interview date. Feb 17, II on 12/10.

Edit: IS, URM

Last edited:
Got my interview date yesterday! Scheduled for 2/10, originally received II on 12/10. Complete mid-September. OOS, URM, LM 70.

For the financial aid presentation, we don't have to have our cameras and mics on, do we? I just found out that on my date I'm going to have to babysit that afternoon unexpectedly, and my nieces will be running around...

Anyone else have 4 interviewers listed for their interview or had that set up? Is it really all four? Everyone else I know only had 2 interviewers