2020-2021 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mercer University

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am thinking of applying EDP to mercer but would love to hear some opinions on whether this will increase my chances of acceptance much or if I am better off casting a wider net even though mercer is my first choice.

If Mercer SOM is your first choice, then go ahead with EDP, but keep in mind that your application has to be extremely STRONG and has to FIT THE MISSION.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the mcat requirement for EDP at mercer , please share if you know

What is the mcat requirement for EDP at mercer , please share if you know
There’s no MCAT requirement I believe.... you just have to 1000000000% meet and exceed the mission

Hey! I was wondering if anyone would answer but I'm applying regular decision to Mercer because I want to keep my options open for other schools like MCG. Anyways, all of my clinical experiences and shadowing have been from a rural undeserved area because I am from there and I am very interested in primary rural healthcare. Does Mercer heavily consider where their applicants come from? I'm just curious! I think I meet their mission, but I want to be safe in applying since I don't want to limit myself to one school!

Hey! I was wondering if anyone would answer but I'm applying regular decision to Mercer because I want to keep my options open for other schools like MCG. Anyways, all of my clinical experiences and shadowing have been from a rural undeserved area because I am from there and I am very interested in primary rural healthcare. Does Mercer heavily consider where their applicants come from? I'm just curious! I think I meet their mission, but I want to be safe in applying since I don't want to limit myself to one school!
I would recommend that you apply ED because of the strength of your application just by stating what you said. I do think that Mercer takes into account where you are from as I think one of the questions on the secondary application was regarding if you were raised in a medically underserved/rural area. Good luck!

Would you mind sharing the essay prompts?

Ya, no problem. Here are the secondary prompts
  • Email:
  • Phone number
  • Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student. (Required)
  • If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below.
  • What is your understanding of the practice of rural medicine?
  • Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.
  • The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency?
  • If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.
  • Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below.

when did you apply? did they accept ED without MCAT score?
I think I got my secondary before my score came out but it was all within about 24 hours. I think it would be cool if we could start an EDP groupme so that we can stress about everything together hahah because sometimes this process can be a little lonely. I'm not sure how we could start that but if anyone thinks that's a good idea and knows how...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, no problem. Here are the secondary prompts
  • Email:
  • Phone number
  • Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student. (Required)
  • If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below.
  • What is your understanding of the practice of rural medicine?
  • Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.
  • The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency?
  • If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.
  • Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below.

Thanks!!! I'm applying reg so I haven't received anything yet!

Has anyone who's applied RD received secondaries yet?

Has anyone that applied ED received a interview invite?

Do you know if MUSM is giving out interviews yet for ED?

ED Applicant: Submitted Secondary 7/13. Received II 08/3.

Last edited:
I think I got my secondary before my score came out but it was all within about 24 hours. I think it would be cool if we could start an EDP groupme so that we can stress about everything together hahah because sometimes this process can be a little lonely. I'm not sure how we could start that but if anyone thinks that's a good idea and knows how...
Is there a groupme for EDP applicants?

Reapplicant. Did ED last year. Submitted secondary app 8/4 (primary was 7/14). Invite to interview received 8/13. Let's get hyped!

Edit: Forgot to mention I was waitlisted this last time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering how to get things notarized for this school, I have no clue what it is , first time applicant here would rlly appreciate the help!

Hello! I saw the comments asking if there was a groupme for EDP applicants and I decided to make one. Here's a link to it if you want to be a part of it. GroupMe

when did you apply? did they accept ED without MCAT score?

Per their website and the person I spoke with by calling their admissions office a few weeks ago, they told me as long as they get your MCAT score by Sep.30th, you will be considered for ED cycle. If your MCAT score gets to them after that, they would automatically place you in their regular cycle. (Assuming all components and secondarieS are in by the deadline of Aug.31st 5pm EST). Good luck!

Attachments

• B2896629-E167-4FD5-9A26-3E3044B8A87C.png
    B2896629-E167-4FD5-9A26-3E3044B8A87C.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 164
Hi guys, I am a first-time applicant, please advise if you can! I won't be able to take my MCAT until Sep 27th, my AMCAS application was submitted on 8/1 so it probably won't be verified until September also.

1. Is it wise to also send the application to Mercer right now? Or wait until my application is verified?
2. How long does it take for Mercer to receive my primary?
3. How long do they usually take to send out 2nd?

Thanks!

Just got my first II!!!! MCAT: 504, GPA: 3.81. IS. Submitted 8/4! RD applicant

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I am a first-time applicant, please advise if you can! I won't be able to take my MCAT until Sep 27th, my AMCAS application was submitted on 8/1 so it probably won't be verified until September also.

1. Is it wise to also send the application to Mercer right now? Or wait until my application is verified?
2. How long does it take for Mercer to receive my primary?
3. How long do they usually take to send out 2nd?

Thanks!

So in my experience, the earlier you submit your complete application, the better. They also won't review it until it is complete. Given you are taking the MCAT at the end of September, your AMCAS application won't be fully complete until late October at the earliest (if someone has taken the MCAT during this time, say how long it took). Once it is complete and submitted, Mercer will receive your primary. The past several times I've done this, the secondary comes usually after a week or two. COVID may change this. Given the time, you'll only be able to apply in the regular pool and not early decision or assurance.

This is the timeline for admissions for what is due:

• Love
II! Submitted 8/22
I signed up for an interview but the earliest I could get was Nov 5th :(

Last edited:
II! Submitted 8/21

So in my experience, the earlier you submit your complete application, the better. They also won't review it until it is complete. Given you are taking the MCAT at the end of September, your AMCAS application won't be fully complete until late October at the earliest (if someone has taken the MCAT during this time, say how long it took). Once it is complete and submitted, Mercer will receive your primary. The past several times I've done this, the secondary comes usually after a week or two. COVID may change this. Given the time, you'll only be able to apply in the regular pool and not early decision or assurance.

This is the timeline for admissions for what is due:
thank you so much!

Current M1 here. If anyone has any questions feel free to send me a message!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone from early decision interviews gotten any word yet? Still waiting over here and curious about what’s happening