2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone of us is just as important as the next whether we are nontrad or trad. We all have a passion and we each deserve a spot. I don’t think speculating about that is going to help. @DIYMed definitely has a point. We are only seeing highlights of applicants on their Instagram, not the whole pool.

Regardless of tiers, treat this like a rejection and work on your next move. Noorda definitely made some mistakes along the way but it’s a learning process

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Hmm...has anyone spoken to the school about offering the deferred admission? They are super transparent and said many of the waitlisted people would have been accepted if they were able to have the full class. This might be the last cycle we have zoom interviews...a chance for a lot of diversity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...has anyone spoken to the school about offering the deferred admission? They are super transparent and said many of the waitlisted people would have been accepted if they were able to have the full class. This might be the last cycle we have zoom interviews...a chance for a lot of diversity.
You know....that might not be a bad idea at all. I think if enough people emailed the admissions office, it could be brought to the table as an option. At this point, the worst is that they’re gonna say is no.

Agree 100%, I think you made some really great points in your post. I think for all of us it's important to not descend into a "sour grapes" mentality or feel entitled to an acceptance just because Noorda is a new school. I'm on 2 agonizing WLs and I know very well how much the waiting game sucks, but regardless of my story or the school's reputation they are free to interview fresh people so they're not leaving out any potential amazing late applicants and can pick specific people off the WL to create a rounded class profile.

Noorda went a little overboard in my opinion by telling students where on the WL they are, but they are far from the only school to do so. They are also not the only school to interview after filling their class or interview "for the WL" (this is the case for many schools' Feb/March interviews tbh) so I don't think these are all things Noorda is doing poorly in some unique way. Tbh the WL isn't a guaranteed acceptance even if they have space: I once talked to an adcom that said some people at their school would get off the WL only if they sent an academic update that improved one of their low stats. I know being on the WL is a stressful time but dissecting every action of the school isn't gonna help, and all anyone can do is wait with fingers crossed. I'm rooting for all of us <3
I don’t think the point of pointing out that Noorda has been highlighting individuals with amazing stories, military service, years of teaching was to say why them not us. It was just an observation. Everyone has a right to voice something, but during this crucial time in our lives it seems people are just sensitive to anything. It’s not an us vs them thing, it’s just stating that not every individual can devote years of their life to military or go into a career in teaching for 9 years before applying to med school which takes forever. Everyone has their own path, but by showcasing these stories you are sending a message that this is what we want and look for in our class. While yes these individuals will make amazing doctors because of their story, our society needs to make it more feasible for young adults to go to medschool as well with the shortage we face in medicine. I myself am a non trad as well, but I understand where the other side comes from. We all need to be careful with our tone and casually throwing insults on character around just because we use an anonymous website.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is where the difference in opinion lies. When I see schools showcasing their students (which literally every school does, I don't think Noorda is trying to make a statement about what they're looking for) it just looks to me like they're highlighting unique facets that make their student body diverse instead of hegemonic. I myself graduated only 2 years ago with no military or amazing unique clinical experiences, so I'm just one of the bunch unlike those students. But there's something to be said about coming up with generalizations about the entire class being like, old or extremely non-trad as the main reason they were accepted (imo with most med schools it boils down to stats/ECs for a majority of acceptances), or about the school being poorly organized or lying to its students because it's new etc...so I totally agree with you about being careful with our tone, that's actually why I replied to my friend in the first place!
I respect your opinion, I can see that.

our society needs to make it more feasible for young adults to go to medschool
Med schools accept 24 years old on average. That is considered young adults. Noorda-COM asked for people to pave the way and showcased a handful of people they hope will pave the way. It just so happens that some are in the military and parents but with a few students that are not. We also do not know everyone’s story. Some people have applied 3,4,5 times. We should all be respectful to each other, the people accepted, and the Noorda-COM admissions who have worked hard for us. They had their issues with secondaries and communicating with us but they always were transparent. They did their best given the messed up situation we are in (pandemic) and I think they handled it with grace. I’m proud of everyone accepted and everyone trying their hardest.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Deferred option would be AMAZING!

Omg! Lets see if Noorda will consider this!?

Med schools accept 24 years old on average. That is considered young adults. Noorda-COM asked for people to pave the way and showcased a handful of people they hope will pave the way. It just so happens that some are in the military and parents but with a few students that are not. We also do not know everyone’s story. Some people have applied 3,4,5 times. We should all be respectful to each other, the people accepted, and the Noorda-COM admissions who have worked hard for us. They had their issues with secondaries and communicating with us but they always were transparent. They did their best given the messed up situation we are in (pandemic) and I think they handled it with grace. I’m proud of everyone accepted and everyone trying their hardest.

We would’ve been future roommates if I had gotten in. Best of luck on your journey to medical school brother you’ll do great things. Keep in touch!

Agree 100%, I think you made some really great points in your post. I think for all of us it's important to not descend into a "sour grapes" mentality or feel entitled to an acceptance just because Noorda is a new school. I'm on 2 agonizing WLs and I know very well how much the waiting game sucks, but regardless of my story or the school's reputation they are free to interview fresh people so they're not leaving out any potential amazing late applicants and can pick specific people off the WL to create a rounded class profile.

Noorda went a little overboard in my opinion by telling students where on the WL they are, but they are far from the only school to do so. They are also not the only school to interview after filling their class or interview "for the WL" (this is the case for many schools' Feb/March interviews tbh) so I don't think these are all things Noorda is doing poorly in some unique way. Tbh the WL isn't a guaranteed acceptance even if they have space: I once talked to an adcom that said some people at their school would get off the WL only if they sent an academic update that improved one of their low stats. I know being on the WL is a stressful time but dissecting every action of the school isn't gonna help, and all anyone can do is wait with fingers crossed. I'm rooting for all of us <3
Maybe I came off the wrong way without intention but I didn't mean to be a "sour grape". Honestly no one is entitled to an acceptance and I'll be real this is not my first cycle. I'm humbled to have interviews this cycle and while I wait, I'm still grateful to be on a WL and not rejected at Noorda-COM and other schools.

The threads comments were more speculation on what kind of applicants they seem to be most interested in, given they are a completely new school, we don't know what kind of applicants they wanted. The speculation was based on their active social media that they have chosen (or given) profiles of more non-trad students with more life experience and families.

It's not denying or invalidating their contribution or work that went into getting the acceptance that they earned.

The speculation also did not warrant a "reality check" - people are allowed to speculate and comment on a forum without other users shutting them down and slapping on a "reality check". Everyone is probably sensitive given the wonky communication from Noorda and it's no one's fault - we are giving grace to each other. But I think it should be fine to discuss what might be happening. We are all adults and well-qualified at every point we may be at during this cycle and next.

people are allowed to speculate and comment on a forum without other users shutting them down and slapping on a "reality check".
You are speculating without asking or looking for the facts. How will that serve you as a physician? Reality check will hit you all your life. I am not shutting you down, but the disparaging words you are using to describe these great people who serve our country. Who serve for you and I. For the parents who had a dream and accomplished them through their hard work and grit. For Noorda-COM admissions and faculty who worked day and night for years to make this all possible.

So no, I do not shut down people, but words and actions that can bring others down. I will not stand for that.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You are speculating without asking or looking for the facts. How will that serve you as a physician? Reality check will hit you all your life. I am not shutting you down, but the disparaging words you are using to describe these great people who serve our country. Who serve for you and I. For the parents who had a dream and accomplished them through their hard work and grit. For Noorda-COM admissions and faculty who worked day and night for years to make this all possible.

So no, I do not shut down people, but words and actions that can bring others down. I will not stand for that.
Okay but I never said I had the facts..just based on what we saw on social media.

I don't mean any disrespect for any service member ever. I don't think I want to explain myself more and would like to put end to this line of conversation because you are getting personal without knowing me at all.

I don't think I'm conveying myself very well and I ask for an apology and hope we can get past this @DIYMed

Yes, I agree you did not have the facts nor sought them.

you are getting personal without knowing me at all.
You got personal with Noorda and the applicants without knowing them at all too. I do not need to know you completely to know that what you said was wrong. If someone says something racist, sexist or ageist, I do not need to know them wholly to know if they are wrong or right.

I ask for an apology and hope we can get past this @DIYMed
Yes we can get past this and put this to rest. Let’s not mention this again.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I have said before, it’s none of our faults we were pitted into this ugly situation, regardless of age or walk of life. We are all amazing and beautiful in our own respect. Now all we can do is just hope for the best, and expect “dynamic” movement, or whatever that means at this stage. I’m making backup plans and treating this WL as a rejection. Prepare for the worst and hope for they best, as they say. I hope you’re all taking care of yourselves and staying well.

Dropping from the waitlist. I hope it opens up some opportunities for those who are still on it. Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 9 users
Dropping from the waitlist. I hope it opens up some opportunities for those who are still on it. Best of luck to all of you!
If you don't mine me asking, where on the waitlist were you?

Either way, good luck in whatever medical school you end up going to. I'm sure you'll be a great physician.

I’m making backup plans and treating this WL as a rejection. Prepare for the worst and hope for they best, as they say. I hope you’re all taking care of yourselves and staying well.
That is honestly the best thing to do at this point. I will say if you are looking at SMP, really understand their outcome stats. I went to a new program did well with a 3.9. Still getting waitlisted everywhere. Now I’m looking at a second master’s with a guarantee acceptance if you do well enough.

That is honestly the best thing to do at this point. I will say if you are looking at SMP, really understand their outcome stats. I went to a new program did well with a 3.9. Still getting waitlisted everywhere. Now I’m looking at a second master’s with a guarantee acceptance if you do well enough.
Yes, and make sure that it is helping shore up weaknesses in your app, otherwise it's a waste. If you already have decent grades and an acceptable MCAT, don't go this route unless there is a guarantee.

If you don't mine me asking, where on the waitlist were you?

Either way, good luck in whatever medical school you end up going to. I'm sure you'll be a great physician.
Thank you! I was placed Top Tier and interviewed back in November.

Reactions: 4 users
I did a guaranteed acceptance program last year and had a lot of friends who matriculated... about 40% of my class matriculated. If you want details DM me!

Last edited:
So is it over? They said if we don't get a letter by March 15th, we won't get in.

IT IS NOT OVER. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

• Care
  • Love
I believe that there may be significant waitlist movement from April-July, given that accepted students (and waitlisters) are still hearing back from other schools.

• Care
IT IS NOT OVER. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
I hope and pray...though that does make sense.

Students have to finalize their lists in April and schools can keep pulling people off the WL up till late July / early August.

I hope and pray...though that does make sense.

Students have to finalize their lists in April and schools can keep pulling people off the WL up till late July / early August.
Despite the potential this may hold, I want to let all the applicants in this thread know that if they had any plans to strengthen their application to reapply this upcoming cycle they should really follow through with that.

Someone in this thread mentioned that they decided not to attend an SMP because they ranked highly on the waitlist, and unfortunately they are still currently on the waitlist now.
Not to be the pessimist, but I highly advise you guys to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Reactions: 7 users
Despite the potential this may hold, I want to let all the applicants in this thread know that if they had any plans to strengthen their application to reapply this upcoming cycle they should really follow through with that.

Someone in this thread mentioned that they decided not to attend an SMP because they ranked highly on the waitlist, and unfortunately they are still currently on the waitlist now.
Not to be the pessimist, but I highly advise you guys to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.
I was able to defer my SMP acceptance to summer thankfully. Still holding out to be pulled from Top tier but also preparing to apply again.

Absolutely. The unfortunate reality is that this may be the expectation. We got ragged on this one pretty hard with the dissolution of T25.

Hi everyone :D Wanted to wish everyone a happy start of the week, and for us WL’ers, whether or not we do get off the WL, it’s still a new week to work towards becoming a physician ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
The FB group jumped from 63 to 68 this morning. I guess some people paid up the $3k. Now just hoping there is some room left.

The FB group jumped from 63 to 68 this morning. I guess some people paid up the $3k. Now just hoping there is some room left.
69-3 admins = 66 seats filled. Assuming ~10% of accepted students don't have a Facebook, there should be 15 spots left. Fingers crossed 1 of those goes to me! :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users

Just wondering...could anybody join the Facebook group or are you invited to join?

Good luck to everyone who is still on the WL! I was accepted a few weeks ago and every day I'm happier with my decision to join Noorda-COM. The school staff is super organized and bringing their A-game in every way possible. I hope to see some of you in Provo, if not this year then in the future. It's taken me years to get to this point and every experience has made me a stronger and happier person. See you all on the other side.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Good luck to everyone who is still on the WL! I was accepted a few weeks ago and every day I'm happier with my decision to join Noorda-COM. The school staff is super organized and bringing their A-game in every way possible. I hope to see some of you in Provo, if not this year then in the future. It's taken me years to get to this point and every experience has made me a stronger and happier person. See you all on the other side.
We are hoping the class isn’t completely full. At least there are no more interviews that we know of, so fingers crossed that some from the WL will join you! (Top tier first hopefully).

Do you think we are going to hear anything tonight?

• Care
Do you think we are going to hear anything tonight?
I would love to see movement soon, but honestly I wouldn’t get my hope to high right now. From what I gathered from other schools, most movement doesn’t happen until late April or May.

I would love to see movement soon, but honestly I wouldn’t get my hope to high right now. From what I gathered from other schools, most movement doesn’t happen until late April or May.
I think the assumption is tonight would be to fill the spots of those who didn’t pay the matriculation fee by yesterday.

Just a heads up, I called to ask for feedback about my application and they said to email, not call for that info. They said they’ll respond to the requests in the order that they get them and it may take some time for them to get back to you.

Just a heads up, I called to ask for feedback about my application and they said to email, not call for that info. They said they’ll respond to the requests in the order that they get them and it may take some time for them to get back to you.
It would be interesting to see what they say. Do keep us updated if you can, please.

There’s a feedback request form you have to fill out, I emailed them asking for feedback and they sent me a link to the form. Just wanted to let you know so you don’t delay your feedback

is the feedback form on our portal somewhere?

Here you go!

Here you go!
thank you :)

Going to get my Hogwarts letter before getting accepted off this waitlist.

Going to get my Hogwarts letter before getting accepted off this waitlist.
Atleast they reject post II and only interviewed for a few months.

I’m on a WL at a school who WL’s everyone who isn’t offered an A and they’ve been interviewing since September 😂