2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if anyone will drop by the 15th, and how often they will pull from the WL, since likely very few will be giving up their seats.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not over the fact that they supposedly sent out acceptance offers yesterday & absolutely not a single soul anywhere posted (besides that one person from 3/5) about it.

anyone else sus about this? bc I think they never actually did any significant movement yesterday

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not over the fact that they supposedly sent out acceptance offers yesterday & absolutely not a single soul anywhere posted (besides that one person from 3/5) about it.

anyone else sus about this? bc I think they never actually did any significant movement yesterday
Honestly this whole app cycle has been sus lol... but yes, I was surprised to not see a lot of activity last night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly this whole app cycle has been sus lol... but yes, I was surprised to not see a lot of activity last night.
people love posting about acceptances & also historically today should have been when they send WL decisions

I call cap on the fact that their entire February and March cohort all got an acceptance offer

What do you mean by this? Everyone that interviewed got accepted?
yeah because in February they said they sent out 80% of their offers which left like 15-20 offers of their intended 90. And last night's email said they sent all of their offers out already.

So they sent 20 offers to only the February cohort?? Because they said they'd consider the WL by 3/8 too and absolutely no one got off the WL yesterday. That means they sent offers to only recently interviewed people.

people love posting about acceptances & also historically today should have been when they send WL decisions

I call cap on the fact that their entire February and March cohort all got an acceptance offer
I wouldn't be surprised if the Feb/Mar interviewees received a lot of A's, I met some pretty awesome applicants along the way. In general, this entire process was unpredictable, even before COVID. I'm sure a lot of unexpected things can happen... many good things I hope!

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Feb/Mar received a lot of A's, I met some pretty awesome applicants along the way. In general, this entire process was unpredictable, even before COVID. I'm sure a lot of unexpected things can happen... many good things I hope!
Which is great and fine but it's also alot of false and empty communication for the WL. It's absolutely fine to have amazing applicants in a cohort - just like don't keep telling WL you're going to consider them with each movement especially when there's little validity to their rankings anyway

Which is great and fine but it's also alot of false and empty communication for the WL. It's absolutely fine to have amazing applicants in a cohort - just like don't keep telling WL you're going to consider them with each movement especially when there's little validity to their rankings anyway
I would rather just have one email that says they'll consider the WL case by case as seats are dropped rather than false hope and constant anxiety over each multiple dates ya know?

I think im just a little confused and frustrated at the moment. I'm still holding hope lol

well, not everyone is on sdn.

Reactions: 3 users
well, not everyone is on sdn.
I also realize. I'm just going off the fact that every time there has been significant movement, many have posted on the thread whether that was an A or a WL. It just seemed oddly quiet to have a large movement and not even a WL posted 🤷🏻‍♀️

I would rather just have one email that says they'll consider the WL case by case as seats are dropped rather than false hope and constant anxiety over each multiple dates ya know?

I think im just a little confused and frustrated at the moment. I'm still holding hope lol
I feel your frustration but we just gotta keep our heads up. Getting to this pt is already a testament to your capabilities my friend. I've been struggling w/ the frustration and waiting as well but I feel good about this group and I know we'll get through it 💪💪💪

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also venting my frustration with respect to those that got bumped down the list. Like, what are you supposed to tell your friends and family when they ask when you’re packing out to Utah, knowing that you were one of the 25 expected to move into the ACCEPTED pool? This whole thing is just a sham. And I know it’s not, but it just feels that way. What’s to say that we can’t be subject to getting bumped down further? Sorry for the pessimist remarks, and I’m happy for those that were accepted off the WL but this “dynamic” waitlist situation is just draining us and it’s not fair to be jerked around like this.

Reactions: 2 users
yeah because in February they said they sent out 80% of their offers which left like 15-20 offers of their intended 90. And last night's email said they sent all of their offers out already.

So they sent 20 offers to only the February cohort?? Because they said they'd consider the WL by 3/8 too and absolutely no one got off the WL yesterday. That means they sent offers to only recently interviewed people.
I’m guessing they were planning on sending 180-270 acceptances, assuming less than half would secure their seat and stay. Then they sent the first 100 offers maybe , >80% stayed and essentially got fully booked. This necessitated eliminating top 25, and negated any significant pull from WL.

Not talking about people venting, I just was surprised to not see many people posting as actively in comparison to the other A/WL waves.
I meant vent like in “among us” because the word “sus” was thrown out.

I meant vent like in “among us” because the word “sus” was thrown out.
Sus as in the tik tok version is suspicious. Not pointing fingers at anyone at all. Its just speculating

Lol yeah I interviewed in February and I got WL so definitely cap, at least for me

I’m staying hopeful for March 16th but not counting on anything.

My only question is how did they pull from Top tier over top 25? My heart goes out to those in the original top 25..

Things will also move after the 15th because there are people like myself who are also waiting to hear from other schools they’d rather go to and will end up paying the 2k just to turn around and give up their seat. I will be hearing from two schools literally one week after I put down that deposit.

• Wow
I’m staying hopeful for March 16th but not counting on anything.

My only question is how did they pull from Top tier over top 25? My heart goes out to those in the original top 25..
That’s exactly what I’m wondering too. Obviously no hate to those that got pulled off. Matter of fact, much love to you guys that don’t have to experience this gut-wrenching experience of being moved down the WL. I’m currently mid-tier and I don’t think my chances look good at movement. I’ve already come to accept that, but I just think it’s such a shady move to give an applicant false hope at T25, only to get yanked down to lower tier as some have already commented. Stop playing with an applicant’s emotions yo. This cycle and the pandemic already has us stressed enough as it is.

Edit: Another popular DO school has offered their waitlisted applicants deferred admission IIRC. This would also be a great idea, given the controversy this waitlist conundrum has stirred around here. But that’s just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
That’s exactly what I’m wondering too. Obviously no hate to those that got pulled off. Matter of fact, much love to you guys that don’t have to experience this gut-wrenching experience of being moved down the WL. I’m currently mid-tier and I don’t think my chances look good at movement. I’ve already come to accept that, but I just think it’s such a shady move to give an applicant false hope at T25, only to get yanked down to lower tier as some have already commented. Stop playing with an applicant’s emotions yo. This cycle and the pandemic already has us stressed enough as it is.

Edit: Another popular DO school has offered their waitlisted applicants deferred admission IIRC. This would also be a great idea, given the controversy this waitlist conundrum has stirred around here. But that’s just my $.02
I would also love a deferred admission option - also speaking as a mid-tier applicant.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yessssss, I totally agree.
I'm just so tired of this whole process...and I'm waitlisted at another school too.

So much uncertainty and we're still far away from WL looks.

Sigh...I kind of expected this though. My record isn't that fantastic -_-.

Can anyone speculate how many people are in each tier? I'm assuming 25+ since they merged their top 25 into the top tier. I want to be hopeful but it's nerve-wracking as I just found out I'm in middle tier... :'(

Can anyone speculate how many people are in each tier? I'm assuming 25+ since they merged their top 25 into the top tier. I want to be hopeful but it's nerve-wracking as I just found out I'm in middle tier... :'(
Just consider yourself rejected until you hear something. I think that’s the best way to think about it because otherwise constant speculation and researching will just stress you out. Especially for a school that doesn’t accept updates like this. I’m mid tier as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Just consider yourself rejected until you hear something. I think that’s the best way to think about it because otherwise constant speculation and researching will just stress you out. Especially for a school that doesn’t accept updates like this. I’m mid tier as well.
Yeah it’s honestly best to think about it this way as well. Been a long time lurker and now I’m voicing out these frustrations. It’s not fair that we have such a small voice on these matters and expect to just wholeheartedly swallow up these changes and expect to just move along like nothing happened. Like, if the admissions team doesn’t see us having a fair shot at getting in this cycle due to the limited movement, take the other schools’ leads and defer admission, keep a small waitlist, or just outright reject us. And that would mutually benefit both the school and applicant such that each party knows what to expect, where the school can expend less resources on applicants and focus more on other pertinent matters associated with accommodating the incoming class, and the applicant can make future arrangements and plans, having that peace of mind and knowing what to expect months from now. But that just makes way too much sense and it instead has to be a convoluted, emotional roller-coaster. I guess some practices don’t change at all, as innovative things may look.

The Facebook group jumped to 30ish in mid January then up to 60 in Feb. as of now at 62. I bet the early February A’s essentially filled the class, and single digit A’s went out this week. Maybe it’s too soon to tell but I’m considering 62 ish as full since some haven’t joined or don’t have fb.

Just out of curiosity, what schools are do the deferred admissions for waitlist? I would 100% do that if Noorda offered that.

Yeah it’s honestly best to think about it this way as well. Been a long time lurker and now I’m voicing out these frustrations. It’s not fair that we have such a small voice on these matters and expect to just wholeheartedly swallow up these changes and expect to just move along like nothing happened. Like, if the admissions team doesn’t see us having a fair shot at getting in this cycle due to the limited movement, take the other schools’ leads and defer admission, keep a small waitlist, or just outright reject us. And that would mutually benefit both the school and applicant such that each party knows what to expect, where the school can expend less resources on applicants and focus more on other pertinent matters associated with accommodating the incoming class, and the applicant can make future arrangements and plans, having that peace of mind and knowing what to expect months from now. But that just makes way too much sense and it instead has to be a convoluted, emotional roller-coaster. I guess some practices don’t change at all, as innovative things may look.
I understand your frustrations but it’s protocol to have a waitlist, they just never know which and when applicants will reject their seat... especially being a new school there very well may be significant waitlist movement within the next few months. Those putting down deposits may hear from other schools this month or next month. Also, those in top tier may also get accepted into other programs down the line soo I do think some waitlisters will get lucky and hear good news within the next few months. Just my optimism speaking haha. It’s good to secure other plans, but you just never know what the future holds.

I wonder if it was just a horrible mistake that top tier got ranked above top 25.

The Facebook group jumped to 30ish in mid January then up to 60 in Feb. as of now at 62. I bet the early February A’s essentially filled the class, and single digit A’s went out this week. Maybe it’s too soon to tell but I’m considering 62 ish as full since some haven’t joined or don’t have fb.
62-4 = 58 accepted students. 4 are admins.

Even if not everyone is in the group or has Facebook. That number hasn't changed in 4-5 days now especially when they've steadily been increasing since February.

Especially with the batch of acceptances that just went out, these guys only have 14 days to pay the full $3k and I'd like to think that most people join a FB group out of curiosity too even if they don't use fb

I understand your frustrations but it’s protocol to have a waitlist, they just never know which and when applicants will reject their seat... especially being a new school there very well may be significant waitlist movement within the next few months. Those putting down deposits may hear from other schools this month or next month. Also, those in top tier may also get accepted into other programs down the line soo I do think some waitlisters will get lucky and hear good news within the next few months. Just my optimism speaking haha. It’s good to secure other plans, but you just never know what the future holds.
But also they said in their last email that if we hadn't been accepted by 3/15, we should contact admissions to get advice on next cycle. Yet they told March interviews that they would have a movement again 3/16

Their dates don't really make sense imo.

Also something to note is that their accepted students day is April 24th. So if other schools start moving their WLs and their current accepted seats drop, then they will probably look at us WL

The no updates thing is kind of awful. I'm sure they're sending out acceptances to top-qualififed applicants because obviously they'd want them for their first class but also I think it's safe to say that top-qualififed applicants probably won't choose a new school in March. Top applicants are probably waiting on other schools and/or WLs

Would be useful to them tbh if they took updates from the WL. Since they don't use the rankings anyway, at least if they have a letter of intent or something then those people can be picked off the WL instead. The rankings aren't working for anyone right now

The no updates thing is kind of awful. I'm sure they're sending out acceptances to top-qualififed applicants because obviously they'd want them for their first class but also I think it's safe to say that top-qualififed applicants probably won't choose a new school in March. Top applicants are probably waiting on other schools and/or WLs

Would be useful to them tbh if they took updates from the WL. Since they don't use the rankings anyway, at least if they have a letter of intent or something then those people can be picked off the WL instead. The rankings aren't working for anyone right now
Another thing I’ve noticed is on their Instagram they’ve posted accepted students a large portion have incredible stories or unique aspects like military service, teaching positions, death of family members. I understand these people are amazing but I don’t understand why medicine is shifting towards accepting ppl who only have an incredible story. Like not everyone has that and I don’t believe they should be punished for it. Medicine takes forever to pursue, and requiring people nowadays to have masters, post baccs, previous employment on top is insane.

I wonder if it was just a horrible mistake that top tier got ranked above top 25.

Seems highly unlikely. I’m willing to bet they wanted to round out their student profile and emphasized specific traits that allowed them to dip into top tier and hold off on those of us who were T25.

I think it's kind of odd that a new school is primarily focusing on accepting very non-trad students. Especially the people who got posted are like easily 26+, married, kids, military. Their selection process seems like they are only aiming towards older applicants because maybe they think older ones will more likely go to a new school

Or maybe as a new school they are keen on people who have proven leadership qualities in developmental roles. That type of experience can be very helpful when developing a new program. Not to negate the traditional applicants but those types of experiences can be helpful with a program that’s building the plane as it flies.

Reactions: 7 users
I think it's kind of odd that a new school is primarily focusing on accepting very non-trad students. Especially the people who got posted are like easily 26+, married, kids, military. Their selection process seems like they are only aiming towards older applicants because maybe they think older ones will more likely go to a new school
also straight up nothing against non-trad people. Mad respect for y'all but we straight up (younger applicants) can't match your life experiences simply because we haven't been alive for that long.

I wanna feel like most, if not all, of us are highly qualified and have various significant experiences outside of military

Or maybe as a new school they are keen on people who have proven leadership qualities in developmental roles. That type of experience can be very helpful when developing a new program. Not to negate the traditional applicants but those types of experiences can be helpful with a program that’s building the plane as it flies.
But also younger applicants are more likely to be molded and can bring fresh eyes to a new program.

Idk just my opinion obviously but just going off of who they have posted on Instagram about - they don't have a young class. Maybe the younger accepted students didn't wanted to be posted about or that they haven't accepted very many. But their current posted people seem like they are from Utah area and have families & are maybe going to Noorda because of location/family

But also younger applicants are more likely to be molded and can bring fresh eyes to a new program.

Non trads bring fresh eyes too. They can bring a wealth of experiences from alternative fields.

And also, often non trads don’t match the academic readiness of those in standard pathways... they have kids, work, spouses and quite frankly, learning gaps from styles of when they got undergrad versus now when they are returning to education. Study skills can be lacking or take time to develop versus a traditional student who may have bulldozed their way to academic excellence through sustained years of testing and studying practice.

Both have great value and offer challenges. I’m simply stating that perhaps for THIS school the non trads bring qualities that the adcom finds slightly more necessary for their model. And I’m sure they are still accepting strong traditional candidates.

Reactions: 4 users
Another thing I’ve noticed is on their Instagram they’ve posted accepted students a large portion have incredible stories or unique aspects like military service, teaching positions, death of family members. I understand these people are amazing but I don’t understand why medicine is shifting towards accepting ppl who only have an incredible story. Like not everyone has that and I don’t believe they should be punished for it. Medicine takes forever to pursue, and requiring people nowadays to have masters, post baccs, previous employment on top is insane.
I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years, brother died of a heart condition 2 years ago, decade in health care work. High MCAT. Low gpa. I’m WL. You just never know what they are looking for. And what you see on social media is highlights and not the full group.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Non trads bring fresh eyes too. They can bring a wealth of experiences from alternative fields.

And also, often non trads don’t match the academic readiness of those in standard pathways... they have kids, work, spouses and quite frankly, learning gaps from styles of when they got undergrad versus now when they are returning to education. Study skills can be lacking or take time to develop versus a traditional student who may have bulldozed their way to academic excellence through sustained years of testing and studying practice.

Both have great value and offer challenges. I’m simply stating that perhaps for THIS school the non trads bring qualities that the adcom finds slightly more necessary for their model. And I’m sure they are still accepting strong traditional candidates.
Totally agree with you. It just seems older non-trad heavy for them & that may end up being tough for students that have families and career- hangers if their model falls apart in some way

Totally agree with you. It just seems older non-trad heavy for them & that may end up being tough for students that have families and career- hangers if their model falls apart in some way

Well that’s the risk they - and their non trad students get to choose to take.

Well that’s the risk they - and their non trad students get to choose to take.
Facts. 90 is just an incredibly small number to work with - then have a substantial WL and somehow keep doing interviews from December to March

But also they said in their last email that if we hadn't been accepted by 3/15, we should contact admissions to get advice on next cycle. Yet they told March interviews that they would have a movement again 3/16

Their dates don't really make sense imo.

Also something to note is that their accepted students day is April 24th. So if other schools start moving their WLs and their current accepted seats drop, then they will probably look at us WL
Interesting as I got waitlisted this week :/ I dont think anyone can predict what kind of movement there will be. Last year had weirdly no waitlist movement across the board at multiple DO schools for some reason. I’m just praying this cycle is different especially for Noorda. My interview went exceptionally well so I was really disheartened at the waitlist email, but I’m still just praying and keeping my head up.

@azizi_az they are not accepting mostly non trad students. What you see is a highlight of people that they connected with and want to present. There are a lot of people around the average age of medical school applicants: 24 years old.

The stories you all are seeing are HIGHLIGHTS these people have great stories. They are not the average but kind of seem like it.

It’s like taking the best basketball players and talking about them. You would think your chances of getting into the NBA would be slim but it’s not. Michael Jordan and Kobe are just great and not the norm. @azizi_az take a deep breath and relax. Stop making assumptions.

@azizi_az they are not accepting mostly non trad students. What you see is a highlight of people that they connected with and want to present. There are a lot of people around the average age of medical school applicants: 24 years old.

The stories you all are seeing are HIGHLIGHTS these people have great stories. They are not the average but kind of seem like it.

It’s like taking the best basketball players and talking about them. You would think your chances of getting into the NBA would be slim but it’s not. Michael Jordan and Kobe are just great and not the norm. @azizi_az take a deep breath and relax. Stop making assumptions.
You know I don't appreciate the tone

Secondly, I'm a non-trad myself. And from my the marketing experience I have, it would be beneficial if their highlights featured a younger crowd. It would help their brand image and establishment has a new school.

Perception over impact. We will perceive what they present.

But thank you for your input and perhaps chill on the tone

• Haha
  • Care
You know I don't appreciate the tone

Secondly, I'm a non-trad myself. And from my the marketing experience I have, it would be beneficial if their highlights featured a younger crowd. It would help their brand image and establishment has a new school.

Perception over impact. We will perceive what they present.

But thank you for your input and perhaps chill on the tone
There was no tone but a reality check.

You’re welcome for the input nonetheless