2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! OOS but I will probably withdraw in the next few days after my other school's aid is out. Hope my spot will then go to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
WL, but I'm just grateful I still have a shot. Any chance Pitt will let us know anything at all about our chances on the WL? Such as releasing stats on how many they accepted/rejected/how big their WL is? I assume there's no way to know where on the waitlist you are though.

Also, is it generally better to have a letter of intent and an update letter combined into one email/letter? Pitt's my top choice so I would definitely attend if accepted, and I also have a few updates to my research/job/semester.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If my math is correct, so far these are the decisions posted on this thread:
A: 19 (34%)
WL: 32 (57%)
R: 5 (9%)

Of course these may not reflect the actual percentages as this is not a randomized controlled study and there may be selection bias.

Reactions: 6 users
If my math is correct, so far these are the decisions posted on this thread:
A: 19 (34%)
WL: 32 (57%)
R: 5 (9%)

Of course these may not reflect the actual percentages as this is not a randomized controlled study and there may be selection bias.
There's definitely selection bias when it comes to rejections. It's possible many of those rejected don't use SDN either.

Accepted! OOS but I will probably withdraw in the next few days after my other school's aid is out. Hope my spot will then go to one of you guys!
excited love u GIF by i-love-you

Reactions: 1 user
Good ol’ WL! Don’t mind waiting I guess.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
There's definitely selection bias when it comes to rejections. It's possible many of those rejected don't use SDN either.
Tbh i wouldn't want to post if i got an acceptance. Only if i got a WL/R.
Anyone down to start a research project on factors influencing decisions to post on online forums (SDN)? Then we can get it published and include it in our update letter. In our acknowledgements: "Special thanks to neuroticism and lack of transparency."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Tbh i wouldn't want to post if i got an acceptance. Only if i got a WL/R.
Anyone down to start a research project on factors influencing decisions to post on online forums (SDN)? Then we can get it published and include it in our update letter. In our acknowledgements: "Special thanks to neuroticism and lack of transparency."
Sir...this is an SDN. :rofl: I think aversiveness to post rejection is stronger than acceptance.

• Haha
Also A!! OOS here! Best of luck to everyone on the WL. And to those who received an R, best of luck in your cycle. I hope you either have or get an A from a great school soon!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted today! I also made a GroupMe for accepted students, so heres the link (GroupMe). Can't wait to get to know you all:)

• Love
Congrats to everyone accepted! If you got the WL there is a ton of movement, so don’t be discouraged. I was accepted off the WL last year and deferred my matriculation. Happy to answer any questions!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! If you got the WL there is a ton of movement, so don’t be discouraged. I was accepted off the WL last year and deferred my matriculation. Happy to answer any questions!
How can we define "a ton" because MSAR only listed that 65 got off from the WL. That would give the assumption that it's much more difficult after today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! When were you taken off the WL if you don't mind me asking?

WL. Devastated. Wish they told us the tiers. Still praying for that A out of my 2 interviews --> 1 deferral to later committee meeting and now 1 WL as well. Happy for everyone that got in!

• Care
How can we define "a ton" because MSAR only listed that 65 got off from the WL. That would give the assumption that it's much more difficult after today.
May have just been my luck I suppose. But based on the SDN last year and me being WL through multiple cycles of seeing people get accepted, it seemed as though many people came off the WL. Could be biased since it’s based on my experience and SDN.

Where did you find 65 waitlist movement? Im not seeing anything on MSAR

Where did you find 65 waitlist movement? Im not seeing anything on MSAR
Scroll down to Waitlist Information below Deposit information. Maybe they updated the number, my subscription expired back in December.

I can just imagine the admissions email being flooded with letters of interest/intent right now xD WL for me also!

• Care
I can just imagine the admissions email being flooded with letters of interest/intent right now xD WL for me also!
Is it best to send the letters of intent/interest right away? I was planning on taking my time in drafting up a letter since I thought it wasn't that time sensitive.

Is it best to send the letters of intent/interest right away? I was planning on taking my time in drafting up a letter since I thought it wasn't that time sensitive.
I would say to not rush the drafting of it, but to send it sooner rather than later. It seems like Pitt starts pulling from the waitlist relatively early.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say to not rush the drafting of it, but to send it sooner rather than later. It seems like Pitt starts pulling from the waitlist relatively early.
Yeah this is my thinking as well. Sending it right away may look like you were expecting a WL. Plus, I assumed most people would send it right away, and I don't want mine to get lost in that initial pile.

Post II-R. Had no research and definitely felt like a fish out of water there so I am not surprised. GL all

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
A!!!!! OOS, no ties, 3.8 GPA 518 MCAT interviewed early December. I am so excited about Pitt!!!!

• Love
WL gang rise up😎

The funny(?) thing is that I was avoiding the portal this morning, but then was notified of my WL decision from one of the PSTP Adcoms via email 😭

One of my closest friends got the A today though so we are celebrating regardless!!

• Care
Do they ever tell WL no earlier or do you just have to wait it out?

Current M1 and former WL who was accepted very late. This process is brutal, but for everyone on the WL don’t give up!! Myself and many classmates got in off the WL

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
So for me, it was actually more of a significant update letter I had already drafted prior to the WL decision (new letter of rec from T20 director/new position and promotion). I really just sprinkled in my interest. I will likely send an actual interest letter later on when its closer to when they start admitting off the WL :)

So for me, it was actually more of a significant update letter I had already drafted prior to the WL decision (new letter of rec from T20 director/new position and promotion). I really just sprinkled in my interest. I will likely send an actual interest letter later on when its closer to when they start admitting off the WL :)
Just curious, are we even allowed to send new letters of rec at this point in the cycle as an update? Would the letter writer email it to the admissions email?

Just curious, are we even allowed to send new letters of rec at this point in the cycle as an update? Would the letter writer email it to the admissions email?
Yes. I was speaking to someone on the student admissions team and they listed it as a potential option.

So uh, from time to time notifications don’t pop up for watched threads for me. Wasn’t I shocked to see no notifications so far today... hop on and I’m 8 pages behind 😂😂😂

• Haha
Just checked my portal, WL as anticipated. Here’s to more waiting :D

• Care
ACCEPTED!!!!! Having it on the portal is a bit anticlimactic and stressful tho. Interviewed in September.

• Love
Congrats. Gotta ask--- with 7 acceptances, where does Pitt rank on your list to attend?
Thank you! Not sure yet tbh. Maybe #3 or #4? I'll be more confident once financial aid comes thru for sure

WL here as well. Just out of curiosity, did anyone who interviewed for the PSTP get rejected today? I'm excited to be on the waitlist, but I'm wondering if I made it only because I participated in the PSTP interview. My hunch is that anyone who interviews for the PSTP gets a spot at least on the waitlist until the PSTP adcom makes their decision.

• Care
Congratulations!!! I have been placed on the WL (which is better than an R and luckily have been accepted elsewhere). Pitt is my first choice so I will patiently wait. I am wondering for those that have received A's elsewhere and here, where does Pitt rank on your list of schools you are considering attending? Thank you and best wishes.
Also WL here, but I'm assuming most people's school choice depends somewhat on financial aid packages (that's the deciding factor between my top three, at least), so I think that's probably a tough question to answer until those cards are on the table, and also why people wait to withdraw.

Anyone with no acceptances with Pitt as their only hope? Lowkey intimidating seeing all these top-tier apps with multiple A's on this thread lol.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
WL here as well. Just out of curiosity, did anyone who interviewed for the PSTP get rejected today? I'm excited to be on the waitlist, but I'm wondering if I made it only because I participated in the PSTP interview. My hunch is that anyone who interviews for the PSTP gets a spot at least on the waitlist until the PSTP adcom makes their decision.
WL and had a pstp R like three weeks ago

Might be a dick for asking this (I'll happily remove this post if it is), but for those who received post-II R's, did you kind of expect it? What I mean is, did your interview performance, EC's, stats, etc. make the R understandable? Or were you fairly confident that you had a good shot at an A?

I'm just curious whether the Tier 2 WL even exists this cycle (I'm hypothesizing the traditional Tier 2 WL from previous years has been replaced with a post-II R).