-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Pittsburgh
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
lanadelgay124
Full Member
Hopefully they are fixing my WL status.For real though, what does website maintenence mean? Are they fixing bugs, etc.?
Update: still broken, guys
Last edited:
D
deleted899789
It's not a "pitt", so probably meaningless?Great. I'm not sleeping tonight. I found a pit in my tea and I don't know what to make of it? I am hoping it means I am getting off the WL.
![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know admissions release day was delayed this year, but is anyone else majorly anxious at the fact that waitlist movement historically started at the end of February... and its already March... @ Pitt start with the WL movement pls 🥺
D
deleted899789
I've seen people say that 65 people were accepted off the waitlist in past years. Is that the number of waitlist acceptances total, or the number of people who decided to attend after acceptance off of the waitlist (i.e. there was more than 65, but some waitlist acceptances didn't matriculate)?
456432
Full Member
I think this has been asked multiple times on this thread lol. I hope someone can give us an answer since I'm curious too.I've seen people say that 65 people were accepted off the waitlist in past years. Is that the number of waitlist acceptances total, or the number of people who decided to attend after acceptance off of the waitlist (i.e. there was more than 65, but some waitlist acceptances didn't matriculate)?
I've seen people say that 65 people were accepted off the waitlist in past years. Is that the number of waitlist acceptances total, or the number of people who decided to attend after acceptance off of the waitlist (i.e. there was more than 65, but some waitlist acceptances didn't matriculate)?
I believe how many people get off the waitlist depends on how many people withdraw their As (hopefully a lot lol)
So I think major WL movement would happen in early May.
from what I've seen in last year's thread, it seemed like the major waitlist movement happened at the end of February and beginning of April, with limited WL movement in May and JuneI believe how many people get off the waitlist depends on how many people withdraw their As (hopefully a lot lol)
So I think major WL movement would happen in early May.
D
deleted899789
It looks like decisions are historically released on Fridays. So maybe we'll hear of waitlist movement on the 12th?
456432
Full Member
Anyone else scared by the slim possibility that they accepted more applicants off the bat this year and won't be pulling from the waitlist much? Nightmare fuel...
D
deleted899789
There's no way to know of they did... but let's hope there's more waitlist movement this year tooAnyone else scared by the slim possibility that they accepted more applicants off the bat this year and won't be pulling from the waitlist much? Nightmare fuel...
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted899789
They also seem to have post-II R'd a decent number of people this year. I don't think there were any of those reported last year
lanadelgay124
Full Member
Am I the only one who thinks the percentage accepted off the waitlist will be about the same as previous years? I doubt more acceptances than usual would be offered straight off; it's possible that there's a deeper waitlist this year, but while more were interviewed, it also seems like more were rejected.Anyone else scared by the slim possibility that they accepted more applicants off the bat this year and won't be pulling from the waitlist much? Nightmare fuel...
D
deleted899789
Where's this data from?My guess is that the WL is much longer. Here are some numbers for conjecture---
2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av # per applicant @ 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av # per applicant @ 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av # per applicant @ 16
![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait so if this data is correct, the same number of people applied...but to more schools -> more people dropping As -> WL movement should be higher?My guess is that the WL is much longer. Here are some numbers for conjecture---
2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av # per applicant @ 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av # per applicant @ 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av # per applicant @ 16
![]()
Where's this data from? Praying that it's accurate!
Also what exactly do you mean by a longer WL? More people on the WL, or more people to be taken off the WL?
I just checked the data to see for myself, and you seem to be right! I thought the AAMC said that apps increased by 17% this year?The data is from AAMC. I asked them for the historical data and they gave me two attachments for the past two cycles. For the current cycle, the data can be viewed at 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data
When I stated that I believe the WL list is longer, I mean more people are on it. I think they (and other schools) needed to build in the cushion because so many applicants applied to more schools. To me, it was interesting that the total number of applicants actually decreased this year.
D
deleted899789
Thanks. So glad you shared thisThe data is from AAMC. I asked them for the historical data and they gave me two attachments for the past two cycles. For the current cycle, the data can be viewed at 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data
When I stated that I believe the WL list is longer, I mean more people are on it. I think they (and other schools) needed to build in the cushion because so many applicants applied to more schools. To me, it was interesting that the total number of applicants actually decreased this year.
I think the total number of applications increased (not applicants)....this accounts for the average applicant applying to about 5 more schools than last yearI just checked the data to see for myself, and you seem to be right! I thought the AAMC said that apps increased by 17% this year?
hannmarden
Full Member
My WL folks, where are we sending LOIs to/addressing them to?
(praying for WL movement!)
(praying for WL movement!)
I sent mine by emailing it to [email protected]. In the email I wrote a very short body paragraph thanking them for their time and stating that attached to this email was my LOI. I attached my LOI as a PDF. I didn't address either to Dean Piraino directly, just generally to the school/admissions committee. I didn't get a response to my email but my LOI did show up in my portal the next day.My WL folks, where are we sending LOIs to/addressing them to?
(praying for WL movement!)
stressy&depressy
New Member
Hey yall does anyone else have an additional document that was uploaded to their portal? I didn't send anything in recently but there's a file titled "Additional Support / Interest" that was added to my portal on Friday. Maybe it was just a mistake??
lanadelgay124
Full Member
Did you send in a letter of interest? If so, they probably uploaded it under that heading!Hey yall does anyone else have an additional document that was uploaded to their portal? I didn't send anything in recently but there's a file titled "Additional Support / Interest" that was added to my portal on Friday. Maybe it was just a mistake??
stressy&depressy
New Member
I sent in an LOI and an update but those were both already uploaded a while ago! I'm wondering if they uploaded someone else's letter onto my portal by accident... guess I'll just email them. Thank you!
lanadelgay124
Full Member
Ahhh yeah, I'd email.I sent in an LOI and an update but those were both already uploaded a while ago! I'm wondering if they uploaded someone else's letter onto my portal by accident... guess I'll just email them. Thank you!
anythingmatcha
Full Member
I did!did anyone else CC Dean Piraino in the LOI email and get a reply from her?
ah okay i was hoping i was special or that it boded well for meI did!

I did not CC her. I just sent an email to the address they gave with a pdf attachedDid anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1I did!
I didn't because of the instructions on the Pitt website (just like @lapotencia52 said). Figured it would be safest to follow the instructions exactly.Did anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol
I addressed the letter to Dean Piraino and the adcom but only sent it to admissionsDid anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol
anythingmatcha
Full Member
Agreed. I think the response is a kind gesture and that's all. it does speak a lot to Pitt's friendly vibe and i appreciate it 🙂I addressed to both, sent to both. Dean Piraino responsed. It's honestly not a big deal guys.
D
deleted1079705
How long did it take for the Letter of Intent to be added to the portal? I sent mine in a while back, and nothing is showing up.
I sent mine in at ~4pm EST and when I checked the portal around 11am the next day it was already uploaded. I would email them!How long did it take for the Letter of Intent to be added to the portal? I sent mine in a while back, and nothing is showing up.
D
deleted899789
If you're looking on your phone, try checking on a laptop. I can't see it on my androidHow long did it take for the Letter of Intent to be added to the portal? I sent mine in a while back, and nothing is showing up.
Last edited by a moderator:
anexhaustedpremed
Full Member
I was thinking the same thing. I sent a letter of continued interest. Pitt is my top choice, but financial aid is a big thing that I am considering and I am not ready to commit yet. Not sure how much the letter of interest will help but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯Sounds like most people in this thread sent a letter of intent. Do I have a shot off the WL with a letter of interest?
lanadelgay124
Full Member
In previous years, plenty of people were accepted off the waitlist without any letters, intent or otherwise. I really don't think a letter will significantly sway them one way or another if you're a good fit.I was thinking the same thing. I sent a letter of continued interest. Pitt is my top choice, but financial aid is a big thing that I am considering and I am not ready to commit yet. Not sure how much the letter of interest will help but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did anyone else who got waitlisted get their letter from Pitt in the mail recently? Mine just arrived internationally 🤡
I live in Pittsburgh and mine came somewhat recently as well…LOLDid anyone else who got waitlisted get their letter from Pitt in the mail recently? Mine just arrived internationally 🤡
Never got a letter and never got an email. Apparently it showed up in the post office electronic mail preview my roommate gets for us but it never made it to the box 😳
Did anyone else who got waitlisted get their letter from Pitt in the mail recently? Mine just arrived internationally 🤡
D
deleted899789
Well, folks, maybe sometime next week then?
Also, please make sure to report your status here if you get off the wait list please
Also, please make sure to report your status here if you get off the wait list please
lanadelgay124
Full Member
I have a feeling that WL movement this year will be on a similar schedule to other schools (April/May), but am obviously still hoping for earlier!Well, folks, maybe sometime next week then?
Also, please make sure to report your status here if you get off the wait list please
D
deleted899789
Fair enough... I really wanted to do PREP, so hopefully things work out before that application deadline comesI have a feeling that WL movement this year will be on a similar schedule to other schools (April/May), but am obviously still hoping for earlier!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2020:
1. Initial decisions released 1/29
2. First WL movement 2/27
3. Second WL movement 4/9
2021:
1. Initial decisions released 2/19
2. First WL movement- I suspect will be 3/18-19 because they typically wait a month and release decisions on Thursdays or Fridays
3. Second WL movement- who even knows
1. Initial decisions released 1/29
2. First WL movement 2/27
3. Second WL movement 4/9
2021:
1. Initial decisions released 2/19
2. First WL movement- I suspect will be 3/18-19 because they typically wait a month and release decisions on Thursdays or Fridays
3. Second WL movement- who even knows
D
deleted899789
In past years they've released WL decisions before FA info for accepted students came out I believe. I would think this year wouldn't too differentAnyone fear the 1st WL movement will be smaller than usual since it's a lot of Pitt (A) vs preferred Ivy/T20 (WL) people right now. Until the people holding multiple T20 As drop to 3 or 1 schools post-FA, I don't think it'll budge much.
D
deleted899789
Could be... they might want to guard against over-enrollment if they gave out more initial As than usualNo...of course. They will do the same again this month. I'm just theorizing that it will be less people than usual.