2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is everyone else on the WL sending LOIs now? Are they going to be overwhelmed? Should I send one now or later next week?
(minor update + LOI)

sorry for all the questions, I don’t want to look desperate but I am absolutely desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

Might be a dick for asking this (I'll happily remove this post if it is), but for those who received post-II R's, did you kind of expect it? What I mean is, did your interview performance, EC's, stats, etc. make the R understandable? Or were you fairly confident that you had a good shot at an A?

I'm just curious whether the Tier 2 WL even exists this cycle (I'm hypothesizing the traditional Tier 2 WL from previous years has been replaced with a post-II R).
I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t expecting a R but definitely a WL. I have very minimal research (~100 hours) so I was shocked to receive an interview in the first place, but everything else was average for Pitt with above average clinical hours. My interview felt like it went great so this was kind of a blind side for me.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
From the Adm Com By-Laws, https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/UPSOM_BYLAWS_approved_1_22_2020_0.pdf

Each interviewed applicant shall be ranked by Committee members after reviewing a minimum of the contents of the application summary face sheet. The entire application is available on-line under our secure website for the committee members to review. At the end of the ranking process, all candidates interviewed who have not withdrawn, will be categorized into four groups by committee decision 1) acceptance; 2) waitlist tier one; 3) waitlist tier two; 4) rejection. Once a candidate is placed into one of these four categories, the ranking is no longer used for decisions to admit from the waitlist.

As withdrawals occur, applicants will be nominated from the waitlist by a subcommittee consisting of experienced admissions committee members selected by the Associate Dean, who chairs this subcommittee but does not vote. The full Committee delegates authority to make decisions on admission from the waitlist to this subcommittee. Suitability for the school, as determined by our mission statement, will be considered in the waitlist decisions. The waitlist tier position will be one parameter used in deciding admission from the waitlist. These decisions will be made at special meetings scheduled by the subcommittee or through email correspondence and will be communicated to the full Committee.
Yeah I saw that, but that was updated on 01/22/2020 (aka last cycle). Pitt also got a new dean last year who may have changed some things for admissions. Seeing 6 post-II R's on this thread alone, which I've not seen before for Pitt, just got me thinking whether there even is a Tier 2 WL. But then again, with >900 interviews, they very well still could be using both tiers and more rejections this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is better to get an R, rather than hanging on to false hope. For me, I wish they would give us some indication of where we are on the WL because not doing so, is not transparent. Instead, we remain in limbo waiting for our lives to change one way or another.
Agree wholeheartedly. I told my fiance that I either wanted an acceptance or rejection, none of the WL bs. I have acceptances to some other schools I like but just less than Pitt. If my chances of actually getting an acceptance are less than 50 percent at this point, I'd rather focus my energy towards deciding between my other As. I'm afraid I am going to become happy and content with one of my As and be set on matriculating there, then Pitt comes in the day of the wedding telling me they have always loved me

Reactions: 1 user
Agree wholeheartedly. I told my fiance that I either wanted an acceptance or rejection, none of the WL bs. I have acceptances to some other schools I like but just less than Pitt. If my chances of actually getting an acceptance are less than 50 percent at this point, I'd rather focus my energy towards deciding between my other As. I'm afraid I am going to become happy and content with one of my As and be set on matriculating there, then Pitt comes in the day of the wedding telling me they have always loved me
You summed the situation up perfectly!

Reactions: 1 users
WL yesterday. Did anyone else only get like 3 hours of sleep? This is extraordinarily stressful

• Care
To my friends who got an A here but who also have other acceptances: Congratulations!

But also, if you do not plan on attending Pitt, please try to release your spot for someone else... I, and I'm sure many others, would really appreciate it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Random question, but how did you A and/or WL folks feel like you did on VITA?
I felt ok with my VITA. I may be an outlier, but I actually prefer it to an MMI. I've had MMIs where I've finished my explanation in two minutes and the interviewer said we were done (despite having many minutes left) and then MMIs where I've spoken for five minutes only to find that the interviewer had many followup questions to ask. I find it hard to judge how to pace myself. On VITA, you just say your peace and move on. (But I realize that I'm probably in the minority!)

Members don't see this ad :)
A and I felt like my VITA was not that great. not bad, but it wasn't my best performance. I know pitt only used the responses for two of the questions though, and I got WL'ed at a different school that used VITA

got an A, felt like I absolutely bombed it. I actually posted in this forum asking how seriously Pitt considered the VITA it was so bad

Congrats to all the fresh A's! For those on the waitlist, to echo the comment above, at least half (if not more) of my friends here came off the WL at various times. Stay strong and good luck.

Happy to answer any more questions about the school, relocating to Pitt, the city, etc.

• Care
  • Love
Does writing a letter of interest help with acceptance off of the waitlist? Or do you all think adcoms rank applicants based off stats and other factors and their position is set in stone within the waitlist once the applicant is placed on it.

Which apartment buildings do students typically live at?
At least 1/3 of the first year class tends to live in Darragh Apartments. It's half a block from the main medical education building, gym, etc. but it's also relatively expensive and fills up quick. Students otherwise live throughout Oakland (campus) or surrounding neighborhoods (South Side, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Squirrel Hill, etc.). Depending on amenities and roommates, could be anywhere from $450-$1,450/month. The public transit is excellent and the city isn't massive, so living "off campus" isn't an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Is the first WL movement generally in March, or April? This is my last admission decision, so I'm going to be taking a break from SDN/my own neuroticism until then lol

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to my fellow future docs on the WL!

Thrilled to get the A!!! So, uh, do we have to *do* anything for now? I can't see an option to accept the position or anything on the portal lol.

WL. I had already sent a LOI. Do you think I should send another? I would really like to go here.

• Care
WL. I had already sent a LOI. Do you think I should send another? I would really like to go here.
for what it’s worth i sent my letter of intent like 3 weeks ago and i’m probably going to send a letter of continued interest/intent in a few weeks right before they hopefully start pulling off the waitlist. it can’t hurt to show pitt you care that much about them

Has anyone gotten any email from Pitt about the A? Or was it just the portal change?

Got WL'ed on Friday, but will probably be withdrawing. Congrats to those accepted, and to those who got WL'ed, Pitt seems to have a good amount of WL movement so it's far from over. Hang in there, and good luck everyone!

Does anyone think there will be any early WL movement this cycle (earlier than April/May)?

In the past it seemed that this was common:

2019-20: 2/27
2018-19: 3/1
2017-18: 3/5
2016-17: 2/24
2015-16: 3/3
2014-15: 2/23

But then again, we also thought they’d release first round of decisions early this year but that didn’t happen, so I’m not sure what to expect. I just wish we got an email so I don’t have to keep refreshing the portal.

Does anyone think there will be any early WL movement this cycle (earlier than April/May)?

In the past it seemed that this was common:

2019-20: 2/27
2018-19: 3/1
2017-18: 3/5
2016-17: 2/24
2015-16: 3/3
2014-15: 2/23

But then again, we also thought they’d release first round of decisions early this year but that didn’t happen, so I’m not sure what to expect. I just wish we got an email so I don’t have to keep refreshing the portal.

It is possible, many big-names like the Ivies and Mayo drop their As soon. It is possible that the adcom would see a PTE migration away from Pitt and/or withdrawals. However, I'd give it until mid-March.

Dumb question, but how much time do we have to fill out the data forms to confirm the acceptance? I'm kinda nervous filling them out without knowing if they're binding because I haven't gotten an email or anything explaining their acceptance procedures.

Dumb question, but how much time do we have to fill out the data forms to confirm the acceptance? I'm kinda nervous filling them out without knowing if they're binding because I haven't gotten an email or anything explaining their acceptance procedures.
What data forms? Also, the only thing that is binding is selecting the school in AMCAS for commit to enroll (CTE)

the admissions data forms are definitely not binding, only CTE on CYMS is

I already posted this link, but here's a groupme for admitted applicants in case you missed it the first time (GroupMe). Can't wait to get to know you all!:)

• Love
Does anyone know if Pitt gives out any merit aid or is it all need-based?

What would be the best type of letter to write right now if waitlisted? Update? Letter of Interest? Letter of Intent? Or some combination of a few of them?

Anyone have any estimates as to what the chances are of getting off the waitlist? Obviously there's a whole lot of new factors and unknowns, so it would be hard to be sure about anything. But are we talking around 10% chance of getting off? 50%? What would be the general ballpark?

What would be the best type of letter to write right now if waitlisted? Update? Letter of Interest? Letter of Intent? Or some combination of a few of them?
Without a doubt a letter of intent (only if sincere ofc) and/or an update with something substantial (i.e. publication). Interest is implied.

Last edited:
I sent them a Haiku:

Pitt Med please take me
Please I will do anything
I love you Pitt Med

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I sent them a Haiku:

Pitt Med please take me
I love you Pitt Med
Yeah screw the letter of intent. Everyone and their grandma sends one. Try this maybe:

Pitt Med numbah one (14)
US News Report so good
Pitt Med so so good

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Might be a dumb question, but since MSAR (or whatever source it was) says that 65 applicants were taken off the WL, does that mean 65 applicants were taken off the WL AND ended up matriculating? Or 65 people were taken off the WL total? I'm assuming not everyone who was taken off the WL ended up matriculating, right?

I sent them a Haiku:

Pitt Med please take me
I love you Pitt Med

no joke i know someone who sent a poem to another school last year and got off their waitlist!