2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How's my Hold: Re-review after Dec 1st crew doing? Any updates? Still waiting for that R

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got placed on something called the High Priority Alternate list today? Interviewed 1/13, NYC resident LM 74 WDARS C. Anyone have any info about the HPA list and acceptance percent?
I was on HPA before being accepted! I'm not sure how much the list will move this year, but if you call admissions around the middle of May if you haven't heard anything by then, you can ask about your position on the HPA list relative to past years. For example, they could tell you something like "In the past few years we usually have made it to your spot on the HPA list" or "We usually don't make it to your spot on the HPA list." You can also call for an update to see how the list is moving every once in a while, but I would limit it to once a month or so.

Edit: if you have any more specific questions, dm me and I can try to answer them!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I was on HPA before being accepted! I'm not sure how much the list will move this year, but if you call admissions around the middle of May if you haven't heard anything by then, you can ask about your position on the HPA list relative to past years. For example, they could tell you something like "In the past few years we usually have made it to your spot on the HPA list" or "We usually don't make it to your spot on the HPA list." You can also call for an update to see how the list is moving every once in a while, but I would limit it to once a month or so.

Edit: if you have any more specific questions, dm me and I can try to answer them!
Thank you so much! I will definitely take you up on that offer to dm you with specific questions. Just so I and the other HPA list lurkers on this thread know though, do you know anything about like if only a small amount of HPA students are accepted or a majority are or anything like that? I’d gladly go if accepted so I’m kind of banking on a move to an A from upstate

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I will definitely take you up on that offer to dm you with specific questions. Just so I and the other HPA list lurkers on this thread know though, do you know anything about like if only a small amount of HPA students are accepted or a majority are or anything like that? I’d gladly go if accepted so I’m kind of banking on a move to an A from upstate
I really don't...I'm sure there has been some change since I was in your position because they were just starting to use Commit to Enroll and all that (honestly idek if those rules are still being used or not). Upstate tends to take more people off the HPA list than other schools seem to take off their waitlists from what I could tell. If they still have the CTE and other guidelines they implemented when I was applying, I bet there will be a wave or two in April/May, and some sporadic movement through the CTE deadlines in the summer. The best way to find out what your chances are is wait until mid-May and call then, even though I know that's a long wait.

• Care
I really don't...I'm sure there has been some change since I was in your position because they were just starting to use Commit to Enroll and all that (honestly idek if those rules are still being used or not). Upstate tends to take more people off the HPA list than other schools seem to take off their waitlists from what I could tell. If they still have the CTE and other guidelines they implemented when I was applying, I bet there will be a wave or two in April/May, and some sporadic movement through the CTE deadlines in the summer. The best way to find out what your chances are is wait until mid-May and call then, even though I know that's a long wait.
Thank you for the help! I’ll start preparing for reapplication in the meantime before contacting the admissions committee in May then

is there an accepted students group?
As @Nontradoldguy mentioned, the official incoming student webpage is linked on the Incoming Student page, located here. This is where orientation details will be located.

As for the "unofficial" student webpage, it is created and run by a student in the matriculating class. From my brief search, it does not appear to be created yet.

As @Nontradoldguy mentioned, the official incoming student webpage is linked on the Incoming Student page, located here. This is where orientation details will be located.

As for the "unofficial" student webpage, it is created and run by a student in the matriculating class. From my brief search, it does not appear to be created yet.
theres another group besides the orientation group

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted here on 2/5, interviewed on 12/14! OOS applicant with no ties, first MD A of the cycle :love:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Was previously on hold, now my portal says decision made. This means R mostly, right?

Just got the R email, was on hold for a looong time

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got that R, was in the re-review after Dec 1st pool. Complete 8/1. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
On hold since early October and R just now. Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Care
Pre-II R today
On hold Oct 15
Complete Aug 26th

Gluck everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Also Pre-II R after hold. IS Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R just now, complete early August, on hold in October. How come my state schools don't want me, man :cryi:

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Pre-II R, completed late October. Pretty sad though since I didn't apply to many schools and this is one of the few that I really want to go to. :cryi::cryi:

• Care
Also on the R train. Was on pre-II hold since Oct, complete in Aug.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew-- congratulations to those who were accepted or are still in the running!! May we work together one day :)

Besides paying the deposit, is there anything else we need to do to secure our spot?

Yes, it is all detailed on the second page of you acceptance letter

the second page of the acceptance letter outlines pre-matriculation procedures, not really things to secure your spot. so i'm assuming the deposit is all we need to do for now!

For any of my fellow 12/16 interviewees that haven't heard back yet, the admissions committee has not looked at all of our applications yet. Here's to all of us getting A's next week!

For any of my fellow 12/16 interviewees that haven't heard back yet, the admissions committee has not looked at all of our applications yet. Here's to all of us getting A's next week!
Really happy to hear that, cheers!

Got $0 in financial aid. Have no idea how I am supposed to pay $70k a year on my own. My parents are trying to retire and won’t be able to help me pay. What should I do?

Got $0 in financial aid. Have no idea how I am supposed to pay $70k a year on my own. My parents are trying to retire and won’t be able to help me pay. What should I do?
$0 as in no loans or anything? That's highly unusual. You should look over your FAFSA and call the school's finaid office.
There are always private loans you could look into as a last resort.

I think they were pretty upfront during the interview in saying since they're a public school and tuition is already cheaper that they dont have many spare funds for scholarships. I think the students said they had like 5 full scholarships to give? or fewer, not much

Isn't getting $0 in financial aid very typical for medical school? :cryi: Pretty sure everybody ends up taking loans to cover the full costs of everything...

I think they were pretty upfront during the interview in saying since they're a public school and tuition is already cheaper that they dont have many spare funds for scholarships. I think the students said they had like 5 full scholarships to give? or fewer, not much
In another 10-15 years, SUNY tuition might catch up to private schools'. I hope not but it's been skyrocketing recently.
Isn't getting $0 in financial aid very typical for medical school? :cryi: Pretty sure everybody ends up taking loans to cover the full costs of everything...
I thought the process was similar to college admissions. You fill out FAFSA, then they offer you need-based federal loans up to your COA. You then take out private loans if that's not enough. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

In another 10-15 years, SUNY tuition might catch up to private schools'. I hope not but it's been skyrocketing recently.

I thought the process was similar to college admissions. You fill out FAFSA, then they offer you need-based federal loans up to your COA. You then take out private loans if that's not enough. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
I think that's the process in theory, but what I've heard from various people who already matriculated is that most med schools don't actually end up covering the full COA or even half of it most of the time even if you do show financial need. They typically award a very small amount of money compared to the full COA, and the remaining COA is typically financed via federal loans which are "awarded" via FAFSA as well, based on need. So it is similar to undergrad, but the amount of money you actually receive is a lot smaller :/ at least in most cases! Can't speak for everyone.

I think that's the process in theory, but what I've heard from various people who already matriculated is that most med schools don't actually end up covering the full COA or even half of it most of the time even if you do show financial need. They typically award a very small amount of money compared to the full COA, and the remaining COA is typically financed via federal loans which are "awarded" via FAFSA as well, based on need. So it is similar to undergrad, but the amount of money you actually receive is a lot smaller :/ at least in most cases! Can't speak for everyone.
Yep, most people get the bulk of their finaid from Federal loans, but they should appear on your school's financial aid package right? A $0 package also means $0 in federal loans, which is highly unusual.

A this morning around 6am! Interviewed 12/16

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Ohh I didn’t get that information at all. I was assuming the opposite since it is a state school.

Yes, I’m baffled by the lack of need based aid. Nothing seems wrong