2020-2021 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received alternate list email! Grateful for this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted! Does anyone know about how many people are on the alternate list?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted! Does anyone know about how many people are on the alternate list?
On MSAR it says 100 are on the list, and 25 offers were made. But I'm not sure how accurate that is for this year, or how the EnMed list factors in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked the admissions coordinator about sending updates and she said TAMU is not accepting any at this time for alternates. Will I be able to send one later on?

Is Medcamp worth it? Has anyone talked to any of the students that did it?

After talking to current students, they seemed somewhat ambivalent about it. I'm sure it prepares you well, but it seems like a lot of work, you have to start a month and a half early, and I doubt it would make any difference in the long run. I think it comes down to personal preference and if you like those types of things or not! They also said it was a good way to make friends.

Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to letting us know where we stand on the waitlist?

Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to letting us know where we stand on the waitlist?
None of the Texas schools will tell you the rank order, but WL action will not start for a few more weeks.
Two things start Texas WLs moving:
1. New Baylor offers lead to some TMDSAS people leaving their current spots
2. April 30 those with multiple AMCAS acceptances have to narrow it down to 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Update: I talked with a current TAMU M1 this weekend who did med camp, and he said it was very worth it for him. Said it made the first test much less daunting and gave him a lot more confidence. Just to let you know!

Has anyone actually got rejected post interview yet? I was rejected last year for EnMed right after the match day. However, they actually put me on the alternate list this year so I don't know if I should take this with some hope or treat it as other endless waitlists like other TMDSAS schools.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually got rejected post interview yet? I was rejected last year for EnMed right after the match day. However, they actually put me on the alternate list this year so I don't know if I should take this with some hope or treat it as other endless waitlists like other TMDSAS schools.
If you are on the alternate list (like me) then you should take it with some hope. Applicants get taken off the alternate list; AAMC states 25 acceptances off A&M's alternate list of the 100 put on the list. It's hard to determine if they give 25 offers of acceptance or if they take 25 people off the WL. Good luck!

If you are on the alternate list (like me) then you should take it with some hope. Applicants get taken off the alternate list; AAMC states 25 acceptances off A&M's alternate list of the 100 put on the list. It's hard to determine if they give 25 offers of acceptance or if they take 25 people off the WL. Good luck!
Does this mean they don't put everyone on the waitlist like other TMDSAS schools? They actually select the waitlist?

Does this mean they don't put everyone on the waitlist like other TMDSAS schools? They actually select the waitlist?
I know people who have gotten post ii R's, so yes they actually select the WL

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you find this info?

I didn’t match on match day, I haven’t been emailed about being on the waitlist, I also haven’t been rejected post II. Anybody know what’s going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t match on match day, I haven’t been emailed about being on the waitlist, just I also haven’t been rejected post II. Anybody know what’s going on?
Check the admissions websites and see if they've updated there

Have any EnMed accepted students received scholarships?

Congratulations to everyone already accepted and good vibes for those still waiting...

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, and please redirect me to the correct spot if this is the wrong thread.

Does A&M accept AP for pre-reqs if it's on my transcript as a course? i have looked all over their website and the inner-webs and cannot figure it out. i saw a SDN post that says that the vet school does, but that's all i could find. I figure y'all would know since you have already applied. Thanks so much!

Congratulations to everyone already accepted and good vibes for those still waiting...

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, and please redirect me to the correct spot if this is the wrong thread.

Does A&M accept AP for pre-reqs if it's on my transcript as a course? i have looked all over their website and the inner-webs and cannot figure it out. i saw a SDN post that says that the vet school does, but that's all i could find. I figure y'all would know since you have already applied. Thanks so much!
This year Texas A&M indicates that they will accept AP courses and Credit by exam for pre-reqs.
Credit by exam is a way some colleges ask you to "test out of" a course as another way to get credit besides AP test status.
@troy&abedintheAM if you want to PM me with a specific course question you can

How are y'all approaching the campus designation essay? 3,500 characters is a lot of space to work with.
I wrote a decent paragraph for my top two and just a few sentences for the others. I know some people who are writing more and some who are writing less. Just as long as you fully give your justification and all the reasons you prefer that campus over the others you're fine. I don't think they care much about length and I wouldn't be surprised if they appreciate brevity over fluff.

Texas A&M is "significantly" above their approved class size of 200...this is honestly pretty disappointing given that this has happened in the past at TAMU med. Email sent to earlier today

Disappointing to hear, guess my chances of coming off the alternate list are slim to none now

Just great. I posted about how this happened in the past and it happened again. We don't even know how significantly. 215? 230? Hopefully things get more cleared up by the end of this month as people choose other medical schools, but this is the one email I did not want to receive. The only consolation is that in the worst-case scenario I'll be starting 2022-20223.
I apologize for doubting you. I take back my words. You were right

Just great. I posted about how this happened in the past and it happened again. We don't even know how significantly. 215? 230? Hopefully things get more cleared up by the end of this month as people choose other medical schools, but this is the one email I did not want to receive. The only consolation is that in the worst-case scenario I'll be starting 2022-20223.
90% of A&M admissions are instate which are mostly locked in unless there are openings which people are waitlisted for within the state. Unless they are still considering an OOS school which can be considerably more expensive or Baylor/UTSW/McGovern/Long which are probably filled to capacity also, it is most likely the administration made an error. It is unlikely they would have sent this email if they believed there is still a chance the class size would right itself.

A&M is not unique. Schools like Stanford faced this situation a few years ago when they shot up in rankings due to a ranking process change and ended up with 120 for a class size of 80 back then and had to beg students to defer.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this happen to Duke this year.

Texas A&M is "significantly" above their approved class size of 200...this is honestly pretty disappointing given that this has happened in the past at TAMU med. Email sent to earlier today
Wow this is the worst :(
Does anyone have any theories regarding whether the EnMed group is looked at separately in these cases?

It's all good, and any satisfaction I would get from getting to tell you "I told you so" would be far outweighed by the disappointment from the news. However, I did find out that those who are pre-matched or OOS and got in as a pre-match have priority among those who are accepted. I got told the same thing in October when I asked them about this so it does seem to be policy, but do your own research.
You foreshadowed this happening in october? Wow. And A&M said themselves on the interview day that prematched would be higher priority?

Sorry, could you elaborate on this? Are they saying they have accepted way more than they should've? How can this happen when they have a match system? And if they still have more students accepted, are they telling some accepted students that they can't matriculate this year?

I didn't foreshadow it, I just found out that they did this in 2011, and I got worried about it then. I also asked the admin about this in October and after the email came in and they said both times that prematched have priority, including OOS students (who "technically" aren't pre-matched but are in the same cohort as far as I'm aware).
This is pretty reassuring for those that rematched...wonder if it was just lip service though :[

Man, you must be a real optimist if 18,000 gap years feels like consolation. Respect

• Haha
I just want to say that I am so sorry this is happening to those of you who have been accepted and rightly felt assured of your seat for the EY2021 class. I don't know anything more than you at this point. If I can find out anything I can share I will do so.
Wysdoc

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
If anyone who got the "we have overfilled our class" email on Friday has called or emailed the school for more details, will you please PM me with what you learned?
I haven't heard back from my inquiries so far.
Wysdoc

Did any EnMed students get the "overfilled class" email?

Hi all, in the EnMed GroupMe (Please see the FB page for joining that if you're EnMed, we can't post a link here) we gathered up a bunch of questions and sent them in. I can't attach the photos because it has to be a link or something, so I retyped the Q/A with Filomeno G. Maldonado, Associate Dean of Admissions, Assistant Professor Humanities in Medicine:
-Does the 200 person class size include the students in EnMed or is EnMed considered separate from this number? Yes, the class of 200 includes EnMed (150 MD and MD/PhD and 50 EnMed)
-Is the EnMed administration also asking the EnMed students to consider deferral? Yes
-Given the knowledge that the administration was aiming to have a cap of 50 students for EnMed, what does having an overage mean for accreditation purposes? The overage does not affect our accreditation
-How would this affect our experience? Your experience will not be negatively affected. We have the capacity to adapt to the overage in the pre-clerkship phase, and we will make adjustments as necessary for the clerkship phase
-Theoretically, if there was still a significant overage after requesting deferral from students, how would the administration proceed? If there is an overage, we will adjust to the overage and move forward. We will not force or compel any of our incoming students to defer.
-Will there be priority given to pre-match offers versus match offers or vice-versa, or in-state versus out-of-state students? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "priority." Priority for what? If you mean priority in terms of who will be deferred. As I mentioned before we are not forcing anyone to defer. Deferring is completely optional.
-Approximately how many students is the administration planning to defer (assuming minimal volunteering for deferral) from the BCS students and/or the EnMed students? We are not planning nor we will force anyone to defer.
-For those students who are considering other programs, will the decision be made before April 30th (the TMDSAS/AAMC deadline for students with offers to medical schools)? Again, I want to emphasize that we will not compel anyone to defer. The only deadline is the one set for those who want to defer and pursue MD Plus. That deadline is April 21. That deadline is important for the masters' programs in terms of considering students. In fact, they extended the deadline by 2 weeks which was very generous of them.

Hi all, in the EnMed GroupMe (Please see the FB page for joining that if you're EnMed, we can't post a link here) we gathered up a bunch of questions and sent them in. I can't attach the photos because it has to be a link or something, so I retyped the Q/A with Filomeno G. Maldonado, Associate Dean of Admissions, Assistant Professor Humanities in Medicine:
-Does the 200 person class size include the students in EnMed or is EnMed considered separate from this number? Yes, the class of 200 includes EnMed (150 MD and MD/PhD and 50 EnMed)
-Is the EnMed administration also asking the EnMed students to consider deferral? Yes
-Given the knowledge that the administration was aiming to have a cap of 50 students for EnMed, what does having an overage mean for accreditation purposes? The overage does not affect our accreditation
-How would this affect our experience? Your experience will not be negatively affected. We have the capacity to adapt to the overage in the pre-clerkship phase, and we will make adjustments as necessary for the clerkship phase
-Theoretically, if there was still a significant overage after requesting deferral from students, how would the administration proceed? If there is an overage, we will adjust to the overage and move forward. We will not force or compel any of our incoming students to defer.
-Will there be priority given to pre-match offers versus match offers or vice-versa, or in-state versus out-of-state students? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "priority." Priority for what? If you mean priority in terms of who will be deferred. As I mentioned before we are not forcing anyone to defer. Deferring is completely optional.
-Approximately how many students is the administration planning to defer (assuming minimal volunteering for deferral) from the BCS students and/or the EnMed students? We are not planning nor we will force anyone to defer.
-For those students who are considering other programs, will the decision be made before April 30th (the TMDSAS/AAMC deadline for students with offers to medical schools)? Again, I want to emphasize that we will not compel anyone to defer. The only deadline is the one set for those who want to defer and pursue MD Plus. That deadline is April 21. That deadline is important for the masters' programs in terms of considering students. In fact, they extended the deadline by 2 weeks which was very generous of them.
Thank you for going to the trouble of typing that out to share.

If anyone asked some of the questions I had below and heard any answers, I hope they will join the conversation.
1. There is no mention of how many students they have “over accepted”, so I do wonder that.
2. Is the only option for deferral to do one of the dual degrees? Wouldn’t this mean more tuition?
3. Could a person defer and just join the next year as a regular MD student?
Wysdoc

Thank you for going to the trouble of typing that out to share.

If anyone asked some of the questions I had below and heard any answers, I hope they will join the conversation.
1. There is no mention of how many students they have “over accepted”, so I do wonder that.
2. Is the only option for deferral to do one of the dual degrees? Wouldn’t this mean more tuition?
3. Could a person defer and just join the next year as a regular MD student?
Wysdoc
Is the person answering questions responsible for only EnMed or overall program of 200 students?

Well, time to move on and rewrite my personal statement. It seems like the waitlist movement is not going to happen.

Is the person answering questions responsible for only EnMed or overall program of 200 students?
The dean answered the questions, as listed above by @CookieMuenster.
There has been no direct answer to the question of how many "over" the 200 they stepped.

The dean answered the questions, as listed above by @CookieMuenster.
There has been no direct answer to the question of how many "over" the 200 they stepped.
Its around 218. They sent an email other day that didn’t hide people’s emails. Someone counted all the emails and it added to that number.

Its around 218. They sent an email other day that didn’t hide people’s emails. Someone counted all the emails and it added to that number.
Wait...that feels like not that much over, if that's actually legit

Hey guys, just wanted to share that in response to my email about this whole deferral situation, admissions told me that they are not forcing any deferrals and that we will be able to matriculate in Fall 2021 if we want to. I know this has already been stated earlier but wanted to add to the sample size.

On a totally unrelated topic, I see that on the computer requirements for TAMU COM that we are required to have either a Windows or MacOSX computer and no other OS? What is it that we will have to run on our computers in medical school? Is it just the testing software or will it be something else as well?
You will be using lot of different software in medical school which will operate only on specific operating systems.

Howdy, according to the updated MSAR there are 250 estimated entrants for A&M's College of Medicine. Did they increase their class size, or is this number from the overfilling of their class this cycle? Thank you.

Howdy, according to the updated MSAR there are 250 estimated entrants for A&M's College of Medicine. Did they increase their class size, or is this number from the overfilling of their class this cycle? Thank you.
Yep you are correct. They just sent us an email saying they have 252 entrants at the current moment. Overfilled by 50

• Wow
  • Haha
Yep you are correct. They just sent us an email saying they have 252 entrants at the current moment. Overfilled by 50
Woah, that is a whole lot. Was there mention if those of us on the waitlist will still be considered if vacancies occur from those 250 or is A&M not filling vacancies because they are overfilled?

Woah, that is a whole lot. Was there mention if those of us on the waitlist will still be considered if vacancies occur from those 250 or is A&M not filling vacancies because they are overfilled?
I can't imagine there will be any offers from a WL this year.

• Sad
I can't imagine there will be any offers from a WL this year.
Agree. Unfortunately, that is just not in the cards and if A&M admins had some sense of reality, they would release people on the waitlist ASAP.

Reactions: 7 users