2020-2021 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance. Wish you all the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What can you guys tell me about Texas A&M’s EnMed program applying as an OOS? My stats are >90% for MCAT and at average GPA for OOS.

I do not have an engineering background as my university does not have a BME program, however I do have a background in therapeutics and industry with a strong desire to expand outside of therapeutics/instrumentation into devices.

I was filling out TMDSAS and saw the check box pop up, out of curiosity I googled it, first time I have ever heard of it, I am in love.

Like this is my perfect match as a program. Word for word from their website:

“Gain experience contributing to all parts of the innovation process through research, design and commercialization projects...Pursue the design and efficiency of innovative medical technologies to advance patient care and clinical practice.”

And from one of my MMEs:

“Stepping into the role of project lead for XYZ, I found myself becoming a driver and contributor towards science, research, and innovation....This program has fostered in me an entrepreneurial spirit, seeding the drive to bring the bench-to-the-bedside through the development and usage of novel therapeutics, medical, and surgical technologies.”

See why I love this program? Anyways.....what can anyone tell me about it beyond what I see on the website given the context of me?

What can you guys tell me about Texas A&M’s EnMed program applying as an OOS? My stats are >90% for MCAT and at average GPA for OOS.

I do not have an engineering background as my university does not have a BME program, however I do have a background in therapeutics and industry with a strong desire to expand outside of therapeutics/instrumentation into devices.

I was filling out TMDSAS and saw the check box pop up, out of curiosity I googled it, first time I have ever heard of it, I am in love.

Like this is my perfect match as a program. Word for word from their website:

“Gain experience contributing to all parts of the innovation process through research, design and commercialization projects...Pursue the design and efficiency of innovative medical technologies to advance patient care and clinical practice.”

And from one of my MMEs:

“Stepping into the role of project lead for XYZ, I found myself becoming a driver and contributor towards science, research, and innovation....This program has fostered in me an entrepreneurial spirit, seeding the drive to bring the bench-to-the-bedside through the development and usage of novel therapeutics, medical, and surgical technologies.”

See why I love this program? Anyways.....what can anyone tell me about it beyond what I see on the website given the context of me?
As a non-enmed student I have no idea how the enmed students do it. The MD curriculum is difficult as it is, then add on engineering stuff and it seems to me like it would be tough. If you plan on pursuing a normal residency I really don't see the point of it, but if you want to be a device creator then sure (but then why don't you do a PhD in biomed engineering?). Also you need an engineering degree

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want an answer to that then you need to be one of the ADCOM members reading my MD/PhD essays lol

They say they make exceptions with relevant coursework - do you know what those exceptions are?
I would expect lot of math and physics.

I received a call this morning offering me a deferred acceptance. This is a real blessing to me, since I am a two time applicant with no acceptances. See you Class of 2026!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I received a call this morning offering me a deferred acceptance. This is a real blessing to me, since I am a two time applicant with no acceptances. See you Class of 2025!
When you say deferred, does that mean starting class in 2022?

Yes, exactly. I meant to say class of 2026!
Glad you made it. It wouldnt have made any sense for them to have a waitlist with overadmitted class but this now is a great deal for someone on waitlist.

OOS deferred acceptance from the waitlist as well!

Reactions: 1 users
As a non-enmed student I have no idea how the enmed students do it. The MD curriculum is difficult as it is, then add on engineering stuff and it seems to me like it would be tough. If you plan on pursuing a normal residency I really don't see the point of it, but if you want to be a device creator then sure (but then why don't you do a PhD in biomed engineering?). Also you need an engineering degree
"If you plan on pursuing a normal residency I really don't see the point of it" -- where and how do you think medical innovations come from? That's the point. When a physician has an idea, often the first issue to be addresses is "I need an engineer to work on this." Conversely, when an engineer has an idea, often the first issue to be addressed is "I need a physician to work on this." EnMed solves both issues and more.

"Also you need an engineering degree" -- not true