2020-2021 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supplemental

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report. (500 characters; spaces count as a character)

2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? If "yes", please explain (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Activities
Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three.
a. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Scholarly Pathways
Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME (Rural Program in Medical Education) Program?
If "Yes" :
a. Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
b. Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS (Transforming Education and Community Health for Medical Students) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC (Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the REACH (Reimagining Education to Advance central California Health) Program in Medical Education?
If "Yes": Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD (Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors)?
If "Yes": The UC Davis School of Medicine has an honors pathway, Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD), to encourage the development of the next generation of school of medicine faculty. These faculty will be drawn from diverse backgrounds, many committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research might play a role in your career development (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - Davis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:

"In collaboration with two of our member medical schools, the AAMC will conduct a limited-scale operational pilot to determine: how best to administer an assessment of this type; how to integrate it into the undergraduate application process; and to better understand the ways in which it can be used to bring value to the admissions community.

Throughout the approaching 2021 medical school application and selection cycle, the two schools participating in the pilot — University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities and University of California Davis School of Medicine — will strongly encourage applicants to complete the AAMC SJT during the 2021 application cycle. If you would like additional information on how these schools will use the scores when evaluating applicants for admission, please contact the admissions offices directly.

Applicants intending to apply to either University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities or University of California Davis School of Medicine should visit www.aamc.org/sjt for more information about the AAMC SJT pilot, including requirements for applicants of the two pilot schools, frequently asked questions, and more."

What a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you feel this way?
Seems like just another opportunity for the AAMC to cash in. Plus, afaik, UC Davis uses MMI, so the SJT for this school seems a little redundant. But I guess they would like to compare SJT scores to MMI scores for test validity.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like just another opportunity for the AAMC to cash in. Plus, afaik, UC Davis uses MMI, so the SJT for this school seems a little redundant. But I guess they would like to compare SJT scores to MMI scores for test validity.
As admissions gets more competitive, I imagine most schools will begin using an SJT of some sort, either the AAMC one or Casper. If you're comparing it to an MMI (I can't, as I haven't been in one), I guess it's a way for schools to get a feel for an applicant's pre-professional characteristics without needing to interview them first, though I don't know how well a computer-based exam can accurately do that. I suppose that's why it's a pilot program. I'm curious to see how much it costs for students to take, as compared to the Casper.

Hi! Not sure if anyone can answer this but I figured I'd post and ask just in case.

I was browsing the UC Davis thread from last year and saw that one of the secondary application questions is whether we have connections to Northern/Central California. Does anyone know what kind of connection they're looking for (i.e. UC Davis alum, medical/health-related connection, general connections like friends/family)?

Thanks!

p.s. this is my first post on SDN, kinda wild hahaha

Hi! Not sure if anyone can answer this but I figured I'd post and ask just in case.

I was browsing the UC Davis thread from last year and saw that one of the secondary application questions is whether we have connections to Northern/Central California. Does anyone know what kind of connection they're looking for (i.e. UC Davis alum, medical/health-related connection, general connections like friends/family)?

Thanks!

All 3 of those are solid connections and should be mentioned. Also if you have any volunteering with undeserved populations in the area would be important to include.

Thanks!

I imagine what they're looking for are people with connections that would potentially keep them practicing medicine in the area. I'd mention family, significant others (as well as if the area holds any particular opportunities for them), close friends/support network, and nearby undergrad if applicable.

I imagine what they're looking for are people with connections that would potentially keep them practicing medicine in the area. I'd mention family, significant others (as well as if the area holds any particular opportunities for them), close friends/support network, and nearby undergrad if applicable.
good to know, thanks!

Hey couple questions: so I just received an email about the SJT which I'm just learning about. Is it pretty much agreed upon that this test it is necessary to take this test in order to be truly competitive for admission, even though it's just a pilot test?

Also, I'm a California resident, but from SoCal. I don't really have any strong connections to NorCal or Central California beyond simply visiting there, is that going to be a pretty strong negative?

Hey couple questions: so I just received an email about the SJT which I'm just learning about. Is it pretty much agreed upon that this test it is necessary to take this test in order to be truly competitive for admission, even though it's just a pilot test?

Also, I'm a California resident, but from SoCal. I don't really have any strong connections to NorCal or Central California beyond simply visiting there, is that going to be a pretty strong negative?

It is a misconception that you *must* have ties to Northern California to even have a shot at getting into UC Davis. While ties will only help, they are not a requirement and there are students with no ties.

For the three activities on the secondary, is it okay to just put down your same three meaningful activities on AMCAS? How have people answered this?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the three activities on the secondary, is it okay to just put down your same three meaningful activities on AMCAS? How have people answered this?

from previous years’ threads, it seems like yes you can repeat your 3 meaningful activities. I don’t think it really matters, some ppl choice new or some repeat.
What matters more is to choose the ones you’re truly passionate about and have reaffirmed your decision to become a physician.

was anyone able to register for the SJT today? the form kept crashing for me and logging me out...

after trying 20 times w/ both safari and chrome on my laptop I was finally able to register w/ safari on my phone... since its on a weekday and i'll be working 8-5 i would have loved to take it around 7 pm.. but no the time slots jump from 5:40 pm to 10:15 pm. thanks aamc!

To clarify, SJT is recommended but not required correct?

I'm a current second-year student at Davis and can tell you that there are PLENTY of SoCal folks in our class, so much so that it's a running joke that half our class either went to UCB or UCLA undergrad. You're at no disadvantage, and in fact coming from CA should give you the advantage over out of state applicants :)

EDIT: Also, I'm just learning about this SJT thing that they're asking you all to do this year--very sorry that this extra testing is a thing :/ I remember taking CASPER and wondering even how accurate it was at determining my social abilities. Even MMI's are not perfect but I'm curious to see how this SJT thing goes. I wish I could give any advice on it, but unfortunately I know even less than the next person about it. All my sympathy to y'all for being the first test group!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current second-year student at Davis and can tell you that there are PLENTY of SoCal folks in our class, so much so that it's a running joke that half our class either went to UCB or UCLA undergrad. You're at no disadvantage, and in fact coming from CA should give you the advantage over out of state applicants :)

EDIT: Also, I'm just learning about this SJT thing that they're asking you all to do this year--very sorry that this extra testing is a thing :/ I remember taking CASPER and wondering even how accurate it was at determining my social abilities. Even MMI's are not perfect but I'm curious to see how this SJT thing goes. I wish I could give any advice on it, but unfortunately I know even less than the next person about it. All my sympathy to y'all for being the first test group!
Very helpful. Could you elaborate as to whether much of that large cohort from UCB and UCLA has strong ties to NoCal ? Probably hard for you to know, but all I ever read about is that if you are from SoCal you better have strong ties to NoCal or your application to UCD is DOA.

Very helpful. Could you elaborate as to whether much of that large cohort from UCB and UCLA has strong ties to NoCal ? Probably hard for you to know, but all I ever read about is that if you are from SoCal you better have strong ties to NoCal or your application to UCD is DOA.
Unfortunately, the best answer I could give for this question is anecdotal, but I have met at least one person who did not have ties at all to NorCal. I would say that an app being DOA based on ties seems like hyperbole, so please do not count yourself out of the running if you do not have ties! I would say that the majority of people in this school have some sort of connection to CA in general, but you'll see that manifested in very different ways and to different degrees. For instance, there are plenty of people who are actually from different states (HI, CT, MA, and even out of country originally) but spent some time working or attending school in CA.

TL;DR I would say at best the question may be a part of the calculation into whether the school thinks you will stay and serve as a doctor in CA, but it is not by any means the end all be all of your app!

Hi! I was wondering does Davis have some sort of gpa cut off? Are there students who did a post-bacc but have a lower overall cumulative gpa? any insight you can provide is appreciated! Thanks!!

Hi! I was wondering does Davis have some sort of gpa cut off? Are there students who did a post-bacc but have a lower overall cumulative gpa? any insight you can provide is appreciated! Thanks!!
No, to the best of my knowledge Davis does not have a GPA cutoff! There are quite a few students who came from post-bacc programs (I could prob name at least 10 off the top of my head), myself included. I'm not sure about their GPAs, but it is common for people to do post-baccs to either repeat a course or to take higher science courses as a way to show that they are able to handle a more difficult courseload. Anecdotally, I have plenty of friends here who told me that they were concerned that they would not get into Davis due to a low GPA, and yet here they are thriving :) Honestly, I think post-baccs are a really great way to show your dedication to this career--from my own experience I know it takes a lot both time-wise and economically to pursue courses after completing your bachelors, so hats off to you.

Reactions: 1 users
No, to the best of my knowledge Davis does not have a GPA cutoff! There are quite a few students who came from post-bacc programs (I could prob name at least 10 off the top of my head), myself included. I'm not sure about their GPAs, but it is common for people to do post-baccs to either repeat a course or to take higher science courses as a way to show that they are able to handle a more difficult courseload. Anecdotally, I have plenty of friends here who told me that they were concerned that they would not get into Davis due to a low GPA, and yet here they are thriving :) Honestly, I think post-baccs are a really great way to show your dedication to this career--from my own experience I know it takes a lot both time-wise and economically to pursue courses after completing your bachelors, so hats off to you.

wow that’s very encouraging! Davis is definitely my top choice since I’m interested in primary care. thank you so much for replying! I am very hopeful now haha.

Got an email that they received my primary. They said secondary invites will be sent July through January!

The email says no secondary decision will be made until MCAT score is received! I have a feeling a lot of schools are like this, but aren’t saying anything — so I’m thankful to Davis for being transparent about that

Reactions: 1 users
@TheDataKing

Supplemental

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report. (500 characters; spaces count as a character)

2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? If "yes", please explain (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Activities
Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three.
a. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Scholarly Pathways
Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME (Rural Program in Medical Education) Program?
If "Yes" :
a. Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
b. Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS (Transforming Education and Community Health for Medical Students) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC (Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the REACH (Reimagining Education to Advance central California Health) Program in Medical Education?
If "Yes": Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD (Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors)?
If "Yes": The UC Davis School of Medicine has an honors pathway, Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD), to encourage the development of the next generation of school of medicine faculty. These faculty will be drawn from diverse backgrounds, many committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research might play a role in your career development (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Reactions: 2 users
For this prompt: "Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three."

Does this mean all our other activities on the primary are not being considered? How are you guys approaching which activities you pick?

How are yall going about inputting biology courses? I'm wondering whether to include biology courses besides general biology ie genetics, anatomy, physiology, etc

Are quarter system folks inputting 4 unit classes as 2.67 for their semester conversion?

Hey guys I got a question for the activities section. The website only have room for one supervisor who can verify the level of commitment. If I shadowed multiple health care providers for a single program (say a fellowship), is it appropriate to put down one physician's contact I shadowed (who wrote me letter of recom)? Since I did not shadow him for the entire duration, will answering " Can a supervisor verify this level of commitment? " in such a way be considered dishonesty? Pls help.o_O

Is there any benefit to adding additional courses and labs over the minimum requirements?

" You can list additional courses and labs over the minimum requirements. " - okay so is there a reason to do this? LIke as a bio major should I put every single upper div? any advantage/disadvantage ya'll can think of?