2020-2021 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, still no secondary. Kind of bummed about it. I loved my interview there last year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Do we have to sign up for SJT to receive secondary? I am an IS from SoCal, and my primary was verified on 06/23. I haven't registered fro SJT yet because it doesn't seem like a requirement for primary. Can anyone clarify it for me please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to sign up for SJT to receive secondary? I am an IS from SoCal, and my primary was verified on 06/23. I haven't registered fro SJT yet because it doesn't seem like a requirement for primary. Can anyone clarify it for me please?

no, SJT isn't even required but recommended. I received a secondary before I registered for SJT

You applied here as OOS? That seems like a waste of money if you don't have really strong connections.

I served an LDS mission in the area and that was my only connection. I got a secondary and an interview last year

Reactions: 1 users
I served an LDS mission in the area and that was my only connection. I got a secondary and an interview last year
It just seems really low-yield and a waste of 100+ dollars to me. Only 1 person got in OOS out of 6 interviewed... Not worth it imo.

It just seems really low-yield and a waste of 100+ dollars to me. Only 1 person got in OOS out of 6 interviewed. Not worth it imo.

I see where you are coming from. I was shocked I got an invite but I adore the area so I thought I would shoot my shot. Here I am reapplying though so take that for what it is worth.

I see where you are coming from. I was shocked I got an invite but I adore the area so I thought I would shoot my shot. Here I am reapplying though so take that for what it is worth.
I think you're unique though. If you got an II last year, it's definitely worth applying again. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those still waiting for MCAT scores, we still got a shot to be somewhat competitive for II's?

Yeah forsure, I'm still waiting for mine as well. It seemed like they were super chill about moving the cycle back bc they're being v understanding rn.

On the activities evidence: One of my activities is co-directing a summer camp. My most formal evidence (besides contacting my supervisor) is the grant for the program. The grant was in my co-director's name so my name is in there but not as the person who received the grant. Should I still mark that as my evidence? Will they actually ask me to send in a copy of the grant?

How did you put hours for activities? did you put hours to date or include future hours (if end date is planned for future)?

So my school only offers one General Chemistry course (4 units) whereas they offer 2 organic chemistry series (one each semester 5 units each). I know they want the minimum units for General Chemistry is 8 but should I list biochemistry under gen chem?

if I'm OOS and got verified 7/14 but haven't got their secondary, does that mean a No?

if I'm OOS and got verified 7/14 but haven't got their secondary, does that mean a No?
Probably, Davis and all UCs have pretty big screens. Davis especially has CA-service mission. It's still early though so I wouldn't lose hope.

So my school only offers one General Chemistry course (4 units) whereas they offer 2 organic chemistry series (one each semester 5 units each). I know they want the minimum units for General Chemistry is 8 but should I list biochemistry under gen chem?
I had the same issue. On my undergrad institution's website is says to include general chemistry and the first part of o-chem, and for the organic category to add the second part of o-chem and biochem.

I had the same issue. On my undergrad institution's website is says to include general chemistry and the first part of o-chem, and for the organic category to add the second part of o-chem and biochem.

This is correct, list ochem 1 as gen chem

I'm IS and was verified even earlier than you and still haven't gotten a secondary either, so I'm hoping that it's still early and we'll get them eventually

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't get a secondary until yesterday and I've been verified since 6/22

should we lose hope if we haven't gotten a secondary yet?

Have any OOS UC Davis M.D./Ph.D. applicants received a secondary?

Supplemental

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report. (500 characters; spaces count as a character)

2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? If "yes", please explain (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Activities
Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three.
a. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Scholarly Pathways
Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME (Rural Program in Medical Education) Program?
If "Yes" :
a. Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
b. Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS (Transforming Education and Community Health for Medical Students) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC (Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to the REACH (Reimagining Education to Advance central California Health) Program in Medical Education?
If "Yes": Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD (Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors)?
If "Yes": The UC Davis School of Medicine has an honors pathway, Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD), to encourage the development of the next generation of school of medicine faculty. These faculty will be drawn from diverse backgrounds, many committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research might play a role in your career development (500 characters; spaces count as a character).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - Davis

Can someone please explain this part to me "a. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)"?
I'm confused because they want us to list 3 meaningful activities, so what "this activity" refers to?
My app is not yet verified and I'm pre-writing them, so that could also explain why I'm confused. Thanks

Hey y'all, just wanted to pop in and say if you are reapplying to Davis and used a different email for the previous application cycle, you might want to check your old email. I applied for the 2018-2019 cycle and used a different email address than the current cycle. Apparently, a secondary invite was sent to that old email (probably an issue in the system) on 7/14 but I had no idea until today since I hadn't touched that email in a year.

Hey everyone! Would it be good to mention that I have a sibling attending uc davis for undergraduate for the strong ties question? Ofc this is in addition to already talking about how I grew up in the bay area for 14 years and my family lives here.

Still no secondary. Primary submitted 5/31 and I'm IS. Should I be worried.

Will it hurt our application to not say yes to any of the special tracts?
I would say choose one if you are genuinely interested in the them, otherwise it may show in your writing or interview that you aren't really passionate about them.

I choose one but then again my application is geared towards underserved urban communities.

I added Davis into my school list today at 9am PST and received a secondary just now at 4:30pm PST same day. Hopefully this is a good sign :oops:

Good luck to all that are applying.
What the heck Davis.. meanwhile Im waiting after submitting first day. Are you instate from NorCal?

I will post this again. If you do not receive a secondary within 24-48 hours after you get the notification your primary has been received by UC Davis, it means you did not pass the automatic screen.

If you don't pass the screen, you will need to wait until either 1. You get a secondary (which can take months because they will manually screen your app) 2. You receive a pre-secondary rejection.

Reactions: 3 users
I will post this again. If you do not receive a secondary within 24-48 hours after you get the notification your primary has been received by UC Davis, it means you did not pass the automatic screen.

If you don't pass the screen, you will need to wait until either 1. You get a secondary (which can take months because they will manually screen your app) 2. You receive a pre-secondary rejection.

I submitted my primary the first day and was verified pretty early. I have not even received an email acknowledging the receipt of my application from Davis.... plenty of SJT invites though lol.

Im CA res and a UCB grad, so I'm a little surprised it has been this long and some people have started to at least get notified. Is this normal?

Does anyone know if they suddenly decided to screen out CARS (I'm rocking a 515 with a 124 in it)?

I don't understand their screening process because I've seen people with higher stats than me (and verified prior to my verification date) who have not received a secondary... however, I am a bay area resident.

I just do not understand what the screen could be of. Doesn't seem like it is a stats screen (a lot of us who have not gotten it do not have red flags with subsections or GPA). A screen of volunteer hours seems a little odd to me. Can it be a regional screen? Like central CA and above to NorCal?

I just do not understand what the screen could be of. Doesn't seem like it is a stats screen (a lot of us who have not gotten it do not have red flags with subsections or GPA). A screen of volunteer hours seems a little odd to me. Can it be a regional screen? Like central CA and above to NorCal?
I'm from SoCal (LA) with a 124. Received a secondary.