2020-2021 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get secondaries? I didn't receive any yet. From Sam Houston either.
No I have not yet. My app is still processing by TMDSAS. But, they should send out secondaries soon! Keep in mind they JUST opened up their school and sent out final decisions in May for their inaugural class. They are most likely still situating them right now and determining what prompts to use as their secondary app since last cycle it was just a simple certification question.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today! Here are the secondary questions:

Section 1
Indicate all of the following statements that apply to you:
I have prior experience in a primary care clinic
I have prior experience in a rural medical clinic
I have prior experience in an inner city medical clinic
I have prior experience in a medical practice for an underserved area
I have prior experience in community or public health
I had access to premedical support for my preparation and/or application to medical school (advising, mentorship, premedical committee)

Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (300 characters, optional)

Which of your experiences listed in the TMDSAS application most exemplifies the UH College of medicine mission? Describe how this experience might impact your medical career. (500 characters)

Which of your talents or characteristics would be most beneficial to the incoming class at UH College of Medicine? (250 characters)

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone I am part of the inaugural class. If you have questions, feel free to ask them or shoot me a DM here and I will try my best.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone I am part of the inaugural class. If you have questions, feel free to ask them or shoot me a DM here and I will try my best.

I know it was probably positive since you’re attending u of h, but what was your overall impression of the school/application process? What kinds of students are the school looking for? Is there anything you liked/disliked about your first year?

I know it was probably positive since you’re attending u of h, but what was your overall impression of the school/application process? What kinds of students are the school looking for? Is there anything you liked/disliked about your first year?
He is just starting his first year

Class has not started yet. It starts on July 20th and I am super pumped for my first year! My cycle is unique in that it was significantly shorter (Feb-April) and had no questions on its secondary. This is the first full year cycle. According to their website, the class size for 2025 will be 30 students. Their interview will still be MMI as far as I am aware.
The mission is quite clear in that they are looking for those who have a strong inclination towards primary care, particularly in rural or underserved areas. In fact, its stated on their website that "Because there are many more qualified applicants than available seats, applicants who successfully demonstrate an inclination to pursue careers in primary care will be prioritized."
Here are two recent articles that may give you a bigger idea of who they are looking for:

Also I am ORM and am not low SES if you're curious.

Reactions: 4 users
The briefness of this secondary is insanity. 250 CHARACTERS? What!

Reactions: 1 user
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (300 characters, optional)

For this question, would it be okay to talk about family members that positively impacted my education? I honestly can't think of anything else to put, but I also feel sort of uncomfortable if I leave it blank.

The briefness of this secondary is insanity. 250 CHARACTERS? What!

It's crazy, I thought it was a typo. This whole secondary takes about 15 minutes. I'm very grateful they didn't throw 2500 character essays at us.

Reactions: 2 users
For this question, would it be okay to talk about family members that positively impacted my education? I honestly can't think of anything else to put, but I also feel sort of uncomfortable if I leave it blank.
I'm winging it on this one

I was planning on doing something similar, because I have no negative/adversity type things that would answer this, but I don't want to leave it blank.

Has anyone submitted their secondary yet? I pasted my answers in the website but there seems to be "room" for double the amount of characters. Not sure if it's an error in the website but I think I'm just gonna stick to the character count I have and stay within the limit given.

Secondary received today! Here are the secondary questions:

Section 1
Indicate all of the following statements that apply to you:
I have prior experience in a primary care clinic
I have prior experience in a rural medical clinic
I have prior experience in an inner city medical clinic
I have prior experience in a medical practice for an underserved area
I have prior experience in community or public health
I had access to premedical support for my preparation and/or application to medical school (advising, mentorship, premedical committee)

Section 2

Which of your experiences listed in the TMDSAS application most exemplifies the UH College of medicine mission? Describe how this experience might impact your medical career. (500 characters)

Which of your talents or characteristics would be most beneficial to the incoming class at UH College of Medicine? (250 characters)
@TheDataKing here is the secondary prompt :)

Has anyone submitted their secondary yet? I pasted my answers in the website but there seems to be "room" for double the amount of characters. Not sure if it's an error in the website but I think I'm just gonna stick to the character count I have and stay within the limit given.
For the optional essay, correct? I noticed that also. Im sticking to 300 characters.

For the optional essay, correct? I noticed that also. Im sticking to 300 characters.

It seems that the "limit" for each of the text boxes is 499 characters. I'm going to stick with the limits designated in each prompt though. Just something to be mindful of checking before you paste your answers!

Is it an auto reject if I already submitted and I went over the character limit?

Is it an auto reject if I already submitted and I went over the character limit?

You’re done. App thrown in the trash. Lol jk, it probably won’t matter too much and it could even be a good thing if you had something important to say in those extra characters. But obviously, the safest option is to follow the instructions.

So, looking at the first part where you check off the list, what exactly is considered a clinic? I have done quite a lot of hours in emergency rooms while working on EMT and paramedic certs.

Also, how large of a city would be considers inner city?

So, looking at the first part where you check off the list, what exactly is considered a clinic? I have done quite a lot of hours in emergency rooms while working on EMT and paramedic certs.

Also, how large of a city would be considers inner city?
"Inner city" does not refer to a size but refers to serving the urban poor, usually in a larger city in an area of high population density but poor access to resources.

Class has not started yet. It starts on July 20th and I am super pumped for my first year! My cycle is unique in that it was significantly shorter (Feb-April) and had no questions on its secondary. This is the first full year cycle. According to their website, the class size for 2025 will be 30 students. Their interview will still be MMI as far as I am aware.
The mission is quite clear in that they are looking for those who have a strong inclination towards primary care, particularly in rural or underserved areas. In fact, its stated on their website that "Because there are many more qualified applicants than available seats, applicants who successfully demonstrate an inclination to pursue careers in primary care will be prioritized."
Here are two recent articles that may give you a bigger idea of who they are looking for:

Wow. That's incredible that 75% of the class are URM. As an ORM/nondisadvantaged, did you have any part of app that stood out?

Wow. That's incredible that 75% of the class are URM. As an ORM/nondisadvantaged, did you have any part of app that stood out?

I worked in inner-city houston for a while. But tbh I don’t know what stood out to them.

I'm actually finding these short prompts to be just as challenging if not more challenging than the longer ones. It's like what's should I put, what should I omit? Every character counts!

I'm actually finding these short prompts to be just as challenging if not more challenging than the longer ones. It's like what's should I put, what should I omit? Every character counts!
Idk if I did this right, but for question two, I talked about how my experiences drew me to the mission of UH and how I plan I applying it during my time as a medical student and as a physician. It is INCREDIBLY difficult, but if you follow that format, you can do it.

Isn't a class size of 30 crazy small? what is your class size. I'm concerned I am not spectacular enough to fit that small margin.

Isn't a class size of 30 crazy small? what is your class size. I'm concerned I am not spectacular enough to fit that small margin.
It's not the numbers for this school, it's the mission fit.
As the school develops and gets established they will be allowed to, and plan to, increase their class size.

yeah 30 is pretty small. Im nervous for your reasons too, would really like to stay in Houston!