2021-2022 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would also like to know this! Since McGovern isn't P/F, I would at least like to know if they make their students' lives any easier this way.
McGovern is p/f the first semester and for the first semester it is in house exams. The second semester and after is not p/f but it uses NBME exams. Also keep in mind they don’t look at your first semester at all to rank you only your 2nd semester and after.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Do y'all know if McGovern uses NBME questions for its exams?
You might try reaching out to one of their student ambassadors to help answer these questions! The interview day packet says to contact [email protected] to ask to be connected with one of their students :)

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy! Can some people weigh in on pros for McG over UTMB? I pre-matched at UTMB and have gone through a lot of posts on the UTMB forum where people have listed their reasons for ranking UTMB over McG but I would also love to hear reasons why people chose McG over UTMB or just chose McG in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy! Can some people weigh in on pros for McG over UTMB? I pre-matched at UTMB and have gone through a lot of posts on the UTMB forum where people have listed their reasons for ranking UTMB over McG but I would also love to hear reasons why people chose McG over UTMB or just chose McG in general?
Have you checked out the Help me Decide forum?

McGovern is p/f the first semester and for the first semester it is in house exams. The second semester and after is not p/f but it uses NBME exams. Also keep in mind they don’t look at your first semester at all to rank you only your 2nd semester and after.
Thank you! Having NBME exams does sound like a big perk for McGovern. Considering that UTMB ranks preclinicals for AOA anyway, it may not even matter that UTMB is P/F at all.

Thank you! Having NBME exams does sound like a big perk for McGovern. Considering that UTMB ranks preclinicals for AOA anyway, it may not even matter that UTMB is P/F at all.
Yes. UTMB also ranks you for AOA starting your first semester. McGovern waits until your second semester. This gives you time to get used to everything

Hi! For those that are currently going to or are planning to go to McGovern, could you please send me a DM? I'd like to understand if there is a medical fraternity housing available like what UTMB has (where one can easily associate with other medical students) and if not, where do we look for housing or potential roommates? The reviews for University Housing are not too positive. I'd like to room with other students going to McGovern to share resources, good news as well as hardships together. Please DM so we can talk!

Hi! For those that are currently going to or are planning to go to McGovern, could you please send me a DM? I'd like to understand if there is a medical fraternity housing available like what UTMB has (where one can easily associate with other medical students) and if not, where do we look for housing or potential roommates? The reviews for University Housing are not too positive. I'd like to room with other students going to McGovern to share resources, good news as well as hardships together. Please DM so we can talk!

fwiw, normally people in the incoming class make a spreadsheet after match day and then find roommates and pair from there. I can't think off the top of my head about a specific medical fraternity housing system but I would say a good amount of people here do room with other students.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Congrats to others who did as well :)

Matched! Congrats to all, haven’t seen a group me on here yet for accepted students so made one of y’all want to join and start getting yo know each other 😊
You're invited to my new group 'McGovern 2026!' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

If any OOS students hear anything today pls reply. I'm stressed haha! Also congrats to all matched applicants! you should be so proud <3

Matched as well - congrats everyone! :)

Does anyone know if we get an email if we are on the waitlist? Or is everyone who interviewed on the waitlist?

Does anyone know if we get an email if we are on the waitlist? Or is everyone who interviewed on the waitlist?
In the past I heard all interviewees get on the waitlist automatically but not sure about this year

In the past I heard all interviewees get on the waitlist automatically but not sure about this year
During my interview they mentioned everybody that is interviewed ends up on the waitlist

Is there a deposit fee we have to pay? I haven't found that information anywhere, but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place.

Just received this email:

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Committee will be finalizing our waitlist at the end of the month. At that time, you will receive an email communication and details about our waitlist notifying you of a potential waitlist position offer. If offered a waitlist position, you will need to take action to accept or decline the waitlist position. We thank you for your patience and continued interest in McGovern Medical School.

Thank you,

McGovern Medical School

Reactions: 2 users

Dear Applicant,

The Admissions Committee will be finalizing our waitlist at the end of the month. At that time, you will receive an email communication and details about our waitlist notifying you of a potential waitlist position offer. If offered a waitlist position, you will need to take action to accept or decline the waitlist position. We thank you for your patience and continued interest in McGovern Medical School.

Thank you,

McGovern Medical School
I did as well! Guess maybe this goes to everyone and then some will be notified at the end of the month if they are on waitlist?

Yeah I guess they're being selective this year for the waitlist

Dear Applicant,

Thank you,

McGovern Medical School
So should we be sending in LOI to get on the waitlist or to get off of it 😭😭😭

So should we be sending in LOI to get on the waitlist or to get off of it 😭😭😭
I know you're kind of joking/not joking here, but wait to see if you are offered a WL position, then accept it and write your heartfelt reasons why you'd love to attend. :hattip:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you,

McGovern Medical School
Congratulations on your 6 admissions. What is your top choice outside of UT McGovern where you are admitted?

Congratulations on your 6 admissions. What is your top choice outside of UT McGovern where you are admitted?
Also curious, did you prematch to 6? Otherwise, not sure how you would know that you got admitted to 6 since it doesn't show on Match day what schools you got accepted except for the top one, correct?

Also curious, did you prematch to 6? Otherwise, not sure how you would know that you got admitted to 6 since it doesn't show on Match day what schools you got accepted except for the top one, correct?
OOS applicants don't go through the match and in their case offers are independent, but an OOS applicant narrows down their choices according to the deadline given to them in each admission offer. Most deadlines are similar to the AMCAS ones but a school may ask for an earlier answer.

Anyone know when the White Coat ceremony will be for the entering class?
Unless things have changed for the incoming class, Mcgovern doesn’t do a white coat ceremony until beginning of 3rd year before beginning clinical rotations. You will still order a white coat for preclinicals though, just no ceremony. So you’ll end up with 2 coats

Unless things have changed for the incoming class, Mcgovern doesn’t do a white coat ceremony until beginning of 3rd year before beginning clinical rotations. You will still order a white coat for preclinicals though, just no ceremony. So you’ll end up with 2 coats
McGovern actually used to do them first year until 2018. They started doing them 3rd year then and now this year it’s in January 2023 (for the incoming class) I think class of ‘25, ‘24, and ‘23 are still doing it their 3rd year

Thank you very much! I am between LONG and UTMB right now out of my A's and it is a very tough decision. Was really hoping to hear from McGovern but it's okay. If anyone has input to help me decide between those two please feel free to reach out via DM

Thank you very much! I am between LONG and UTMB right now out of my A's and it is a very tough decision. Was really hoping to hear from McGovern but it's okay. If anyone has input to help me decide between those two please feel free to reach out via DM
There is a much bigger medical crowd closeby in Houston (3 other medical schools) which can in theory give you a broader exposure.

The fact that McGovern is close to the Medical Center and in the hub of so much available resources like MD Anderson, etc is the reason why I selected McGovern.

Does McGovern accept LOIs? If so, when is the appropriate time to send them?
If you have been notified you are on the WL, send it. I know McGovern recently sent out an email saying they would be inviting people to their WL soon.

If you have been notified you are on the WL, send it. I know McGovern recently sent out an email saying they would be inviting people to their WL soon.

I appreciate the feedback. I saw that email as well.

Received the waitlist email today. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users