2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious, Can we get rejected at any point after the interview? Or are rejections only given out when/after Match day occurs?
From my understanding of past posts, on Match day it appears anyone who interviewed at McGovern gets in, or is waitlisted (never knowing whether you are #2 on the waitlist or #400. I don't think official rejections come out until August when the new school year starts? I am NOT sure though :)

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding of past posts, on Match day it appears anyone who interviewed at McGovern gets in, or is waitlisted (never knowing whether you are #2 on the waitlist or #400. I don't think official rejections come out until August when the new school year starts? I am NOT sure though :)
Thanks! So besides pre-match offers, we will only get acceptance/our match on Match Day I am assuming? It is not a week-long process or whatever, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will we get notified if we did not match/put on the waitlist then I am assuming?
Usually the school will email you if you match, and if you don't match you will see "no match" upon logging in to your TMDSAS portal.

Watch for emails from any schools where you interviewed to see if they ask you to take a place on their WL.
It's not completely uniform between the TX schools, some put everyone not matching on the WL, others only invite some of them.

Last edited:
You can keep writing additional love letters if you dont match but schools dont know if you are planning to attend some other program unless you write a letter that they are a serious contender.

To be clear, no one may know if you have admissions you are considering in AAMC, DO or International schools for them to rank you ahead of all the other interviewed candidates. I am not very certain if Texas schools share information about who is already admitted/interviewed (I am assuming yes since match is a state controlled process) but they definitely wont know your prospects outside of that process.

Think in terms of a school ranking probably 50 to100 seats for 300 or more interviewed candidates who are not yet admitted. How are they going to rank them?
So would it be safe to say that I should send a LOI + update now instead of after match day?

So would it be safe to say that I should send a LOI + update now instead of after match day?
The schools make some decisions based on who they like but they also want to make decisions based who likes them. Some of the like is reflected in giving someone an interview but some reciprocation of love is expected this late in the game if the next selection is the Match.

It is not a chess game with moves and counter moves. You keep sending them notes every few weeks to make sure they know you still want to be admitted.

The schools make some decisions based on who they like but they also want to make decisions based who likes them. Some of the like is reflected in giving someone an interview but some reciprocation of love is expected this late in the game if the next selection is the Match.

It is not a chess game with moves and counter moves. You keep sending them notes every few weeks to make sure they know you still want to be admitted.
Every few weeks?! That seems like a lot- or is that normal?

That will be like twice from now till match day.
You dont do it multiple times before match day.

you will have to do it after match day until the rejection. Every few weeks does not mean every 2 weeks.

@wysdoc Do you think you could post a bit of a guide for sending an LOI in relation to TMDSAS schools? I understand each school has its own guidelines as to if they accept LOIs or not, but assuming they do, would you suggest sending these letters prior to match day or after matches have already been released? Additionally, how often do you suggest sending an LOI style email? Thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
You dont do it multiple times before match day.

you will have to do it after match day until the rejection. Every few weeks does not mean every 2 weeks.

I know you don’t do it multiple times before match I was just simply saying every few weeks is not a lot because we have 5 weeks till match day. Every few weeks means 2-3 weeks you sent out an loi which rounds up to only sending an loi twice before match day. I won’t recommend but it’s technically not a lot. Sorry if I thought too much about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you don’t do it multiple times before match I was just simply saying every few weeks is not a lot because we have 5 weeks till match day. Every few weeks means 2-3 weeks you sent out an loi which rounds up to only sending an loi twice before match day. I won’t recommend but it’s technically not a lot. Sorry if I thought too much about it.
There is only one time you can do it before match.

After match, you send them a note saying you are still interested in them and would like to get off the waitlist. I know people who have kept writing to elite schools every month until they were officially accepted or rejected.

There is no priority in waitlist and so it is anyone's slot if a spot opens.

Do schools have to rank us by Feb 19th as well? Or can I hold off on sending an LOI until late-Feb?

Do schools have to rank us by Feb 19th as well? Or can I hold off on sending an LOI until late-Feb?

Schools can wait until the day before match day to rank students.

There are 2 factors in play when considering an loi for Texas medical schools

1. People are waitlisted and don’t get outright rejected until the cycle is over
2. Match can act as an auxiliary loi

So if you had multiple interviews wait after match to send an loi. If you had only 1 interview sent out one loi before match and one after if you didn’t match.

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc Do you think you could post a bit of a guide for sending an LOI in relation to TMDSAS schools? I understand each school has its own guidelines as to if they accept LOIs or not, but assuming they do, would you suggest sending these letters prior to match day or after matches have already been released? Additionally, how often do you suggest sending an LOI style email? Thank you so much!!
@black77 I'll send you over to a thread where the most experienced SDN advisors are talking about LOIs, complete with links to older discussions.
The Texas Match system makes LOIs even less relevant, as your rank list is your intention, made official.
LOIs pre-interview are like dandelion seeds in the wind. :whistle:

Here's the most recent thread, enjoy! Is a Letter of Intent binding?

Since we’re talking about match, how does that work for OOS who’s interviewed at more than one TX school?

Do I expect a letter of acceptance / waitlist / rejection on match day? Will I even find out on match day? If I get accepted into both schools, when do I let them know if I’m going to one or the other (is it just April 30th?)?

I know I don’t go through match, but am I included in match on the school’s end and my “match” is just a letter of acceptance?

Thanks ahead of time, I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️

Any current students or wise applicants can shed light on merit-based scholarships... do I need to complete FAFSA to apply for/receive these scholarships from McGovern later in the spring? My parents combined make six figures (and I'm really fortunate/lucky) but they're retiring in the next couple of years so any scholarships & grants will be really useful as I won't qualify for loans yet.

Also any idea how much housing waitlist movement occurs? Kinda wish they'd make accepted student groups with current MSX student leaders so we can ask and discuss with others. I know some other UT schools have them already :( TIA

Since we’re talking about match, how does that work for OOS who’s interviewed at more than one TX school?

Do I expect a letter of acceptance / waitlist / rejection on match day? Will I even find out on match day? If I get accepted into both schools, when do I let them know if I’m going to one or the other (is it just April 30th?)?

I know I don’t go through match, but am I included in match on the school’s end and my “match” is just a letter of acceptance?

Thanks ahead of time, I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
@whiteraspberry Good question - as an OOS applicant you can just think of the Texas schools as having rolling admission.
Yes, you get an offer of admission, by email or at a couple of schools by phone call, instead of a "Match".
You are allowed to hold more than one offer of acceptance, but narrow it down to one school by April 30, just like AMCAS.

Did anyone hear from McGovern today? The last prematch was Dec 16, and they said they would have one more prematch but we haven’t heard.

Did anyone hear from McGovern today? The last prematch was Dec 16, and they said they would have one more prematch but we haven’t heard.
Hmmm, that's interesting. On the 15th they said they didn't know if there would be another round of prematches.

Hmmm, that's interesting. On the 15th they said they didn't know if there would be another round of prematches.

On January or December 15th?
at my dec 16th interview I thought they said there would be one more round but maybe they meant the one on dec 16

pre-II R :( best of luck to everyone!!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
+1743 :laugh:

pre-II R as well....quite a mystery as to what this school even looks for lol

even though pre-match is closed, could they send out letters of acceptances to OOS or will we hear back on March 5th as well?
@whiteraspberry yes OOS applicants are more like rolling admissions. Sometimes the schools do group their notifications around Match Day because they are having adcom meetings around now to review everyone they have interviewed.

Another action point for OOS applicants is near the end of April because AMCAS requires you to narrow down your schools if you have multiple acceptances. If an OOS drops out of McGovern's cohort then, McGovern might fill that spot with another OOS person they had liked.

Anyone know how many people got prematch like based of a Facebook group or something

Usually the school will email you if you match, and if you don't match you will see "no match" upon logging in to your TMDSAS portal.

Watch for emails from any schools where you interviewed to see if they ask you to take a place on their WL.
It's not completely uniform between the TX schools, some put everyone not matching on the WL, others only invite some of them.
Oh wait. So all the TMDSAS portal will tell students is whether they match or not? I always assumed the portal itself will tell us the place we matched. But the school will actually email?

Oh wait. So all the TMDSAS portal will tell students is whether they match or not? I always assumed the portal itself will tell us the place we matched. But the school will actually email?
The TMDSAS portal will say something like "You have matched to UTMB".
The school you match to will also send you a welcome email, usually the same day.

If you don't match you just get 2 unhappy words on the portal, "No Match".
Good luck, @mobilesuit!

• Care
The TMDSAS portal will say something like "You have matched to UTMB".
The school you match to will also send you a welcome email, usually the same day.

If you don't match you just get 2 unhappy words on the portal, "No Match".
Good luck, @mobilesuit!
If you’re waitlisted does it say anything different ?

Just got my mask in the mail today! Interviewed 1/8 and really hoping to match here so I can rock that McGovern Medical School mask every dang day😆

Just got my mask in the mail today! Interviewed 1/8 and really hoping to match here so I can rock that McGovern Medical School mask every dang day😆
Still waiting on mine and I interviewed in September 😅

If we accepted our pre-match offer, signed the pledge in our application portal and ranked McGovern on TMDSAS is our spot secure? I haven't received any communication from McGovern other than a confirmation email of accepting their offer back in December and I just wanted to make sure that was normal. I'm guessing we might have to wait until after the match to receive more info about our entering class but I'm not 100% sure.

If we accepted our pre-match offer, signed the pledge in our application portal and ranked McGovern on TMDSAS is our spot secure? I haven't received any communication from McGovern other than a confirmation email of accepting their offer back in December and I just wanted to make sure that was normal. I'm guessing we might have to wait until after the match to receive more info about our entering class but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes, if you rank your pre-match #1 you should get it.