2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas - Houston

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think the secondaries are the same from last year? I know we won't know untill June 1st but still lol

Reactions: 1 user
Question about the secondary question (from last year) asking, "Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work/life?"

I have two W's in OChem, can I use this essay to expand on that or is the general consensus that questions like this should be answered with a non-academic experience? That would be my most significant failure that I'm willing to discuss, and it taught me a lot- kick started a significant upward trend.

Attachments

• 1591114073283.png
    1591114073283.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 186
Members don't see this ad :)
if you went on to TA for OChem or started some group for it, then you can use it.

If you took 2 W's then got an A and upward trend, don't use it. It'll come across as immature when adcoms read your essay compared to what others will write.

I appreciate the advice! I am not mentioning that.

Has anyone received secondaries for McGovern yet? My application was transmitted yesterday.

remember for the schools that screen apps for secondary invitations, they have to have time to look at them first. 1 day's not enough :)
Oh right, I forgot McGovern was one of the schools that screened. Based on past years, do you happen to know what the typical timeline is for them to release secondary invitations?

Hey guys! I'm a re-app from this past cycle (EY 2020) and when I opened up my secondary app from that cycle a week ago, I noticed that one of the prompts changed. I'm not 100% about this, but I have a feeling this is the new prompt for this year's secondary. Aside from that first prompt, the other two prompts are the same though!

1) Please discuss one of the following:
-a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past
-any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing courses, dropping/retaking of courses)

Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (2500 character limit)

2) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? (2500 character limit)

3) What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? (2500 character limit)

Reactions: 2 users
I got mine yesterday, app transmitted on the 2nd. Check your junk/spam folder. Two schools got caught in the filter for me.
Do you mind posting the prompts, please? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Received today, 6/4 at 3:35pm. Character limit is 2500 for all three.

1. Please discuss one of the following
  • a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past
  • any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing courses, dropping/retaking of courses)
Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn?

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed.
What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?

3. What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! In the secondary application we are asked to upload a pdf of the AMCAS fee waiver. Should I upload a pdf of my FAP confirmtaion? I was a little confused on what it required :/ Thank you so much for your help :)
But this school isn’t on AMCAS

• any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing courses, dropping/retaking of courses)
Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn?

A challenging situation I have faced was having to rewrite this essay after y'all changed the secondary prompt and now my prewritten one doesn't fit.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

A challenging situation I have faced was having to rewrite this essay after y'all changed the secondary prompt and now my prewritten one doesn't fit.
hahaha I had it prewritten too. Rewriting it right now.

Eventhough its a TMDSAS school I'm guessing they award secondary app fee waivers to those who qualified for the AMCAS fee assistance program. I could be wrong :/
Gotcha. TMDSAS doesn’t offer fee waivers but it’s nice to know there is an alternate way for waivers if needed.

I'm guessing mcgovern requires an mcat score to receive secondaries. Application was transmitted on the 2nd have not received anything yet.

@Rev46 it looks like your OChem essay may fit into the newly updated question #1!

Oof, I just finished drafting the old "How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?" question. But good that I already have an academic road bump draft ready to go!

Last edited:

Lol right. That one took me a while.

Got my Secondary today! Couldn’t believe it! We’re one step closer everybody! Keep going strong!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!! Keep going. If you don’t mind could you pls share your stats
They send out apps by stats? I got mine last week and my stats are below average on both, 3.5/510. I think they just send them in the order they get your primary. I was transmitted 6/1

If you don’t mind could you pls share your stats
They send out apps by stats? I got mine last week and my stats are below average on both, 3.5/510. I think they just send them in the order they get your primary. I was transmitted 6/1
thank you

Yes, as far as I know there are little to no schools that actually weed out by stats to send out secondaries! (I could be wrong) But it's always nice seeing a school invite you for a secondary (even if it doesn't mean much) in your inbox, in my opinion! It's also one hurdle that you can move past in the arduous application process!! :)

For the essay asking for an obstacle or an academic road bump, I have a draft for a "difficult situation or task" which is basically the essay for utsw secondary. Considering I have a withdrawal course on my transcript, do y'all think the same utsw secondary would work for this McGovern essay prompt too? Or am I expected to talk about the withdrawal course here?

For the essay asking for an obstacle or an academic road bump, I have a draft for a "difficult situation or task" which is basically the essay for utsw secondary. Considering I have a withdrawal course on my transcript, do y'all think the same utsw secondary would work for this McGovern essay prompt too? Or am I expected to talk about the withdrawal course here?

You could, if the the difficult situation or task was a significant obstacle or life event to overcome versus like an ethical dilemma. I'm still conflicted on what to use for my McGovern essay--I have two Ws on my transcript in science classes, and I am talking about those with UTSW and Texas Tech Lubbock since they directly ask for academic road bumps. General advice that I've seen is that you don't really need to talk about a W unless there were multiple or caused by a significant life event, so for McGovern I might use overcoming a death in the family instead. Don't want to leave a red flag unaddressed though. Sorry if this isn't super helpful.

You could, if the the difficult situation or task was a significant obstacle or life event to overcome versus like an ethical dilemma. I'm still conflicted on what to use for my McGovern essay--I have two Ws on my transcript in science classes, and I am talking about those with UTSW and Texas Tech Lubbock since they directly ask for academic road bumps. General advice that I've seen is that you don't really need to talk about a W unless there were multiple or caused by a significant life event, so for McGovern I might use overcoming a death in the family instead. Don't want to leave a red flag unaddressed though. Sorry if this isn't super helpful.

Where does Texas Tech Lubbock ask for academic road bumps?
And is the UTSW academic road bumps essay actually optional or just "optional"

Where does Texas Tech Lubbock ask for academic road bumps?
And is the UTSW academic road bumps essay actually optional or just "optional"
@significantcobbler8 go to the Texas Tech Lubbock page to see all the prompts (there are quite a few) and one definitely asks this question.
link here: #6

How are y'all approaching the "contribution/legacy to medicine" question? I feel weird saying this is the legacy I want to have or something along those lines rather than just saying these are my goals in medicine.

It is a question other schools have asked. It is really an interview question most job applicants get asked in the format, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years, 20 years etc.".

Essentially, they want to know why you are doing medicine and what do you want to be doing when you become a doctor. Saying that you want to go back to your village and serve a rural community for the rest of your life vs becoming a researcher to find cures for the future Covid-19s vs becoming a healthcare advocate as a public official vs running hospitals as an administrator vs being a specific type of doctor and treating patients in that field for the rest of your life are some of the choices open to you. There is no right or wrong path, only that you are thinking of a path where you will be contributing to the medical field.

It is a question other schools have asked. It is really an interview question most job applicants get asked in the format, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years, 20 years etc.".

Essentially, they want to know why you are doing medicine and what do you want to be doing when you become a doctor. Saying that you want to go back to your village and serve a rural community for the rest of your life vs becoming a researcher to find cures for the future Covid-19s vs becoming a healthcare advocate as a public official vs running hospitals as an administrator vs being a specific type of doctor and treating patients in that field for the rest of your life are some of the choices open to you. There is no right or wrong path, only that you are thinking of a path where you will be contributing to the medical field.
Yeah I honestly kept it pretty simple when I was writing it. Just tied in how all my activities kinda inspired me to follow a certain career path.

For the challenging situation/academic road bump situation, would a C (freshman year in physics) and a couple of B's with a strong upward trend be worth talking about, or should I stick to the challenging situation prompt (using my utsw story about being in a tough spot and dealing with difficult situations in a leadership position I had). I think this story shows leadership skills since I already talked about my adversity in the TMDSAS optional essay

For the challenging situation/academic road bump situation, would a C (freshman year in physics) and a couple of B's with a strong upward trend be worth talking about, or should I stick to the challenging situation prompt (using my utsw story about being in a tough spot and dealing with difficult situations in a leadership position I had). I think this story shows leadership skills since I already talked about my adversity in the TMDSAS optional essay
I think you should focus on the other challenge. First challenge seems very generic.

Anyone know why Question 2 has two different prompts? is it like a choose one option?

Anyone know why Question 2 has two different prompts? is it like a choose one option?
@harmony14 I don't think #2 has two different prompts, it is just hinting at what they want you to include in your answer.
#1 does have 2 options, choose one.
Make sure you are looking at this year's questions, see them here #15

I noticed the same thing. I assume it's an error on their part, and they omitted the Question 3 heading. I would recommend writing both

@harmony14 I don't think #2 has two different prompts, it is just hinting at what they want you to include in your answer.
#1 does have 2 options, choose one.
Make sure you are looking at this year's questions, see them here #15
Interestingly, I only see questions 1 and 2 but there are 3 prompts.

I noticed the same thing. I assume it's an error on their part, and they omitted the Question 3 heading. I would recommend writing both

I also noticed this and answered both questions.

Hey y'all, I'm a reapplicant (I applied for EY 2019) who interviewed at McGovern that cycle (The school is beautiful btw). I'm curious if you think that writing about not being accepted to medical school and using that to turn around my life (both personal life and academic wise) and what that has entailed would be too cliche for the failure prompt. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 users
About how long did it take for yall to get the secondary app once you were transmitted?

Here are some application/interview related facts from the Courage Session on McGovern Med School.

How McGovern reviews applications: They have started to review applications. They do a "holistic review", meaning they look at the whole application, primary and secondary, not just MCAT + GPA.
Your letters of recommendation need to be in to be complete at McGovern.
Remember that each school can set up their application review system in its own way, some schools have said they will decide on interviews if all letters have not arrived, but not McGovern.

This year McGovern will only interview JAMP applicants in August.

McGovern will start interviews for regular applicants in September (post-labor day). (Yes, if you have read the prior year threads you saw that McGovern started interviews in August, but not this year).

Interview Cycle Timeline : All Virtual interviews for McGovern. Interviews will start in September for regular cycle and will most likely end in Feb or end of January.

Want to watch the entire interview? see it here on Facebook:

or if not a Facebook user, wait a couple of days and it will be archived on the Texas Health Education Service YouTube channel Texas Health Education Service

Reactions: 19 users
If McGovern starts interviewing in Sept, approx when would they start sending out invites?

If McGovern starts interviewing in Sept, approx when would they start sending out invites?
Guys, there is nothing to do right now but wait. Go bake some cookies, read a non-science book, something.
Nobody can predict what, when, and why things will happen this cycle, though the McGovern admissions director was kind enough to let you know that regular interviews start in September.