2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah, see. If the schools don’t see your ranking, ranking them number 1 has nothing to do with your “intent” to enroll because they wouldn’t know anyway. But for a school that isn’t willing to adjust rankings despite LOI submission, I would agree sending one here isn’t useful.
Any TMDSAS school can see your application status at all other TMDSAS schools. They are bound not to use that info against you, but they do have access to it. So if you are waitlist eligible at McGovern, they will know that you ranked McGovern higher than the school your matched or you would not be waitlist eligible at McGovern. They don't need to know your match list rankings to deduce that info.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like the Facebook page for the class of 2025 is up. Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does McGovern do a file review for those who were not accepted or not given an interview?

Got an email this morning about Welcome Weekend & the c/o 2025 FB group! For those of us who prematched and haven't heard back from them since the fall, we can take a deep breath now lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does McGovern do a file review for those who were not accepted or not given an interview?
I am unsure about those who did not interview, but I called the other day and they said that file reviews will be available late April. They did not give a specific date.

No one gotten off the waitlist yet?? Kinda surprised tbh I know ppl who got off within a few days last year. Or maybe no one's posting lol.

@moonyoung_8 we can't compare this year's timeline much to last year, although I also go look at last year's threads to see trends.

This year TMDSAS Match Day March 5 was so close to Resident Match Day March 15 that schools are busy with this overlap.

Usually the TMDSAS WL activity begins a week or two after Baylor releases another round of acceptance offers, and Baylor hasn't made that announcement yet this cycle. This happens when some people who hold a TMDSAS school after Match day might relinquish it when they get a Baylor offer.

@moonyoung_8 we can't compare this year's timeline much to last year, although I also go look at last year's threads to see trends.

This year TMDSAS Match Day March 5 was so close to Resident Match Day March 15 that schools are busy with this overlap.

Usually the TMDSAS WL activity begins a week or two after Baylor releases another round of acceptance offers, and Baylor hasn't made that announcement yet this cycle. This happens when some people who hold a TMDSAS school after Match day might relinquish it when they get a Baylor offer.
Oh that makes a lot of sense. Thank you as always!

Reactions: 1 user
Has any accepted student at McGovern received notice of a financial aid package?

Just to confirm- if I get off the WL here, am I automatically withdrawn from my match school? Or do I then have a choice?

Also I think it's a little weird that McGov (and other schools for that matter) can't tell us where we stand with regards to WL rank...it makes apartment hunting very difficult in that I have no idea whether or not I'll get into McGov

Just to confirm- if I get off the WL here, am I automatically withdrawn from my match school? Or do I then have a choice?

Also I think it's a little weird that McGov (and other schools for that matter) can't tell us where we stand with regards to WL rank...it makes apartment hunting very difficult in that I have no idea whether or not I'll get into McGov
See my earlier explanation here: #698

If offered a spot from a WL, you do not HAVE to take it. It is your choice: accept it, or stick with your current school.
If you decide to accept it, follow the steps in my link.

Members don't see this ad :)
See my earlier explanation here: #698

If offered a spot from a WL, you do not HAVE to take it. It is your choice: accept it, or stick with your current school.
If you decide to accept it, follow the steps in my link.
Ahh ok thanks!

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement happens in May? Or will most of it be done by April?

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement happens in May? Or will most of it be done by April?
I know that on May 15, TX residents can only hold 1 acceptance to a state school. So I bet there will be some movement in May as TX residents who are accepted to other programs (like Baylor, TCU, etc.) open up some spots.

Best of luck!

I know that on May 15, TX residents can only hold 1 acceptance to a state school. So I bet there will be some movement in May as TX residents who are accepted to other programs (like Baylor, TCU, etc.) open up some spots.

Best of luck!
Actually TMDSAS should seriously consider changing this from May 15 to April 30 on par with Amcas, so that those on the Waitlist can get some reprieve.
What's the point on holding on to multiple As for two more weeks when you've decided in your heart that you won't be attending the other school(s).

Kudos to the many that have worked hard to get multiple As.
However, its inhumane and cruel to be holding on to multiple As till the very last day, when you know you can physically just attend one school.

Actually TMDSAS should seriously consider changing this from May 15 to April 30 on par with Amcas, so that those on the Waitlist can get some reprieve.
What's the point on holding on to multiple As for two more weeks when you've decided in your heart that you won't be attending the other school(s).

Kudos to the many that have worked hard to get multiple As.
However, its inhumane and cruel to be holding on to multiple As till the very last day, when you know you can physically just attend one school.
Huh? You have to commit to a school on April 30th. Then, up till May 15 all students can receive an offer to another school (and have to withdraw from another school they were accepted to), but after may 15 only people that haven't had an acceptance can move off the waitlist. If they did what you're saying then after people commit to their schools & real WL movement happens only people without an acceptance could get off a waitlist which means that people can't move up to a better rank or pref school.

It sucks to not have an acceptance and sorry you have to go through that. I agree the April 30th date should be pushed way earlier & it is horrible for people to hold multiple acceptances (meaning TMDSAS & another application). No one has multiple TMDSAS acceptances though.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone confirm what McGovern's commit to enroll date is? I can't seem to find it online. I'm super paranoid right now because I realized that some schools have a CTE date of 4/30, which means that there is very little opportunity for purgatory movement if you CTE at that school. McGovern is my top choice out of the acceptances that I have right now, but I am still wanting to stay on waitlists after the 4/30 date.
At this point you act based on the information you have at the present.
Confirm your offer with McGovern on their portal or email.
Use of CYMS tool for TMDSAS schools is optional.
If you get new offers after April 30 you may consider those, decide whether to accept, and withdraw from your first place.
the exception is, no new TX offers after May 15 to those holding a TX spot.

edited to add:
this wasn't OP's question, but MSAR indicates that McGovern expects a response to new offers within 14 days.

Last edited:
Could we expect more waitlist movement throughout april and into may?

Last edited:
Any OOS get in? And can we also send update letters?
McGovern utilizes a ranked waitlist and letters of any kind (update, interest or intent) will not change WL rankings per their waitlist policies. Letters had to be received prior to the Texas match for them to affect an applicant's outcome.

My friend got an offer from the WL but rejected it today. IS applicant.

Reactions: 7 users
If there are people who got a WL offer but don't feel comfortable sharing publicly, can you DM me?
I'd rather know there was a lot of WL mvmt already so I focus on my reapp instead of hoping for something magical in May.

WL offer yesterday afternoon. I have a few days to decide and will most likely be accepting. IS applicant

Reactions: 10 users
Just got a WL offer. Opening up a spot at Tech Lubbock!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Congrats to everyone off the WL. I just hope that this WL movement means that we are closer to having a chance. 🤞

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Am withdrawing my acceptance here (IS). Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 6 users
if people wait to withdraw until after 5/15, then their seat would go to someone with no A's at all?

This might be a stupid question but if I have an acceptance to an AMCAS school but I’m on the WL for McGovern, will I no longer be offered an A after May 15 from McGovern?

This might be a stupid question but if I have an acceptance to an AMCAS school but I’m on the WL for McGovern, will I no longer be offered an A after May 15 from McGovern?
Only if your AMCAS school is Baylor.
The agreement to only make offers of admission after May 15th to people with no other Texas acceptances is an agreement that includes all the TMDSAS schools plus Baylor. Our other Texas MD school (AMCAS TCU/UNTHSC) is not bound by this agreement.

Editing to add that having acceptances to only OOS schools would also let you stay on the TMDSAS WLs after May 15th.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users