2021-2022 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First, congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance from McGovern! And good luck to the people who have interviews coming up!
This is my second time applying and I was really hoping for an II from McGovern. I love the mission, the location, and everything about the curriculum. But I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary on June 1st. After seeing lots of people getting IIs and pre-match offers now, should I assume I've been screened out? Does McGovern send out pre-interview R's?
They don't send out pre-interview rejections. Most TMDSAS schools let applications ride until Match Day, and if no interview by then you will assume yourself to be rejected. McGovern says they will wrap up interview by early to mid-January.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't send out pre-interview rejections. Most TMDSAS schools let applications ride until Match Day, and if no interview by then you will assume yourself to be rejected. McGovern says they will wrap up interview by early to mid-January.
They dont send them when the interview cycle is complete and people have not been called? Is it they just wait for match day to make that notification?

They dont send them when the interview cycle is complete and people have not been called? Is it they just wait for match day to make that notification?

They actually do send it out before match day. Perhaps wysdoc is thinking of a past cycle but I know for sure last year, they sent out pre II R's in January. That being said, if you don't receive an II by the time the final interview day is, you can assume yourself rejected

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have they posted the last interview date? Is it just at the end of January?

I completed my secondary application on 7/26 and have not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know If they are still sending interview invitations? Or should I assume I'm not getting one? I am an in state applicant with 4.0 GPA and 516 MCAT. I'm starting to get worried.

I completed my secondary application on 7/26 and have not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know If they are still sending interview invitations? Or should I assume I'm not getting one? I am an in state applicant with 4.0 GPA and 516 MCAT. I'm starting to get worried.
I completed my secondary 7/15. It was silent for several months until 10/21 when I got the II. Dates offered were in early/mid Nov and my stats are pretty comparable to yours. There's still a chance you hear back! Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users

They definitely screen for fit. I know many high stat applicants who didn't get an invite last cycle.

I was complete about the second week in June and have not heard anything. I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Still hoping for an II this year. Would love to attend this school. I do believe more interviews will be granted. I have combed through prior years on sdn and many II were given out between now and mid December. I will start to worry more if I don't hear by mid December. I will just keep praying for an invite.

Reactions: 6 users
I was complete about the second week in June and have not heard anything. I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. Still hoping for an II this year. Would love to attend this school. I do believe more interviews will be granted. I have combed through prior years on sdn and many II were given out between now and mid December. I will start to worry more if I don't hear by mid December. I will just keep praying for an invite.

thank you for this

Reactions: 2 users
this gives me hope :))

II today!! I am completely shocked. Earliest I could set it for is Jan 7th! See y’all there

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up for anyone waiting- during my interview they said not to expect anymore prematches until December-January. It seemed like it wasn't set in stone but she said they like to see a good amount of applicants before sending out a second wave!

Reactions: 8 users
Just a heads up for anyone waiting- during my interview they said not to expect anymore prematches until December-January. It seemed like it wasn't set in stone but she said they like to see a good amount of applicants before sending out a second wave!
Very good intel. Thank you very much for sharing!

II today!! I am completely shocked. Earliest I could set it for is Jan 7th! See y’all there
Congrats! You're going to do well on the interview ~Good Vibes~

For the rest of us waiting on an II it seems like they are sending out the last batches sooner than they were last year, no? Last year I saw some sent out for early Jan in the first and second week of Dec.

Congrats! You're going to do well on the interview ~Good Vibes~

For the rest of us waiting on an II it seems like they are sending out the last batches sooner than they were last year, no? Last year I saw some sent out for early Jan in the first and second week of Dec.

Hey Fluffy, I've been comparing this cycle to last for all Texas schools and several out of staters based on the archived pages here on SDN. Here is the McGovern breakdown of the days the school sent out interview offers. Best of luck to us all and congratulations Poisionedbat, you'll love your interview, I know I loved mine!

Also take solace in knowing this is one of the largest medical school classes in the nation and the largest one in the state! Also wishing everyone an early happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your families and try to be thankful for even the little things!
screen-shot-2021-11-17-at-6-16-18-pm-png.345874

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 6.16.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 6.16.18 PM.png
    341 KB · Views: 5,352
II received today! Holy smokes... Complete on 6/1/21. Interview dates in January

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey Fluffy, I've been comparing this cycle to last for all Texas schools and several out of staters based on the archived pages here on SDN. Here is the McGovern breakdown of the days the school sent out interview offers. Best of luck to us all and congratulations Poisionedbat, you'll love your interview, I know I loved mine!

Also take solace in knowing this is one of the largest medical school classes in the nation and the largest one in the state! Also wishing everyone an early happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your families and try to be thankful for even the little things!
screen-shot-2021-11-17-at-6-16-18-pm-png.345874
good info! Do you have any info on dates covered, i.e., what is the latest date being offered by each school at the moment.

I know there's tons of posts like this on here but would love for anyone's insight to my personal situation. I had 2 II, one at UTMB (9/10) and one at UTMcGovern (10/1). From what I understand, the pre-matches for both of those schools for II that early have already gone out and I haven't received a pre-match. No other IS or OOS II. Should I just start preparing for my next application?

II today!! Complete complete Aug 1

good info! Do you have any info on dates covered, i.e., what is the latest date being offered by each school at the moment.
I do not have this info, seems to hard to try to keep up with 🥴 glad you found it helpful though!

I know there's tons of posts like this on here but would love for anyone's insight to my personal situation. I had 2 II, one at UTMB (9/10) and one at UTMcGovern (10/1). From what I understand, the pre-matches for both of those schools for II that early have already gone out and I haven't received a pre-match. No other IS or OOS II. Should I just start preparing for my next application?
There’s still match! 2 interviews is good. As far as I know, most people don’t prematch and get in on match day

Hey guys. I completed my app in mid august, haven't heard back yet. When is the latest possible time for II's?

I received a II for UTSW back in October, but I really love McGovern!!

LM 73, cGPA: 3.9X

It is a long season and you have plenty of time to match. Galveston does admit highly competitive people early and many drop out to open spots for others while UTH admits very few in early rounds and primarily considers people who they think will choose them above all others. So hopefully they consider you one of their kind.

If any of y'all are taking the tour today, I'm studying by the grab & go Starbucks in the med school until it starts

IS II today, complete late August.

• Love
What are the interview dates they're scheduling, if you don't mind me asking?
Earliest date was January 12, there were a few others mid to late January.

Thank you for replying! Would I have to provide any meaningful updates? Or is it okay to simply express the reasons I want to attend the school?
If you have already interviewed you can make it more about how you would contribute to the class and fit their profile

II yesterday interviewing on January 7th. The email said to choose from four dates, but only two dates showed up in the portal, which I'm guessing means they don't have many spots left.

• Wow
II yesterday interviewing on January 7th. The email said to choose from four dates, but only two dates showed up in the portal, which I'm guessing means they don't have many spots left.
Do you mind letting us know what dates were still available?

Do you mind letting us know what dates were still available?
Yeah, so there was January 7th, and I think the 21st. (It might have been the 28th, I'm not completely sure and it won't show me available dates anymore now that I've signed up.)

Here's to hoping I'm in the group of people lucky enough to get the final one or two bunch of interviews.

When do they finish interviewing? Been sitting on silent since July....

What dates are prematches offered?
I remember during my interview they said there would be another wave in December. I’m not sure of the date but from past years it seems like it could be this week!

Does anyone know what percentage of UT McGovern's offers are prematch offers? If I remember correctly from my interview day, the majority of their offers are extended on match day and not through prematch offers.

Does anyone know what percentage of UT McGovern's offers are prematch offers? If I remember correctly from my interview day, the majority of their offers are extended on match day and not through prematch offers.
Although we can only use SDN announcements of pre-match offers as an indication, and a nonrandom sample, the offers have been very light this year.
So I agree with what you heard at your interview day, that most will find out on Match Day.
The other thing I noticed about SDN members who got McGovern pre-match offers this year, is most of them had pre-match offers from other schools too. They may or may not rank McGovern higher than their other offers.

Any idea if they'll be extending anymore II this cycle? I turned my primary in early but had a medical setback in the summer so my secondaries were not turned in until late September. I have not heard from McGovern. I was asked to interview with 5 other schools, including UTSW, Baylor and UTMB, all of which were turned in after McGovern, in one case 2 months later. Likely they are going to pass on interviewing me, which is sad since I was very interested. Thoughts?