2021-2022 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea if they'll be extending anymore II this cycle? I turned my primary in early but had a medical setback in the summer so my secondaries were not turned in until late September. I have not heard from McGovern. I was asked to interview with 5 other schools, including UTSW, Baylor and UTMB, all of which were turned in after McGovern, in one case 2 months later. Likely they are going to pass on interviewing me, which is sad since I was very interested. Thoughts?
Hope you're feeling better and recovering by now.
Getting 5 interviews is unusual and even if you might not get the chance to interview at McGovern, your chances are good at being accepted at one of the others. The last day someone on SDN mentioned an interview invitation from McGovern was December 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope I speak for everyone when I say, if you’ve received a prematch offer today/this week please let us know!! Good luck to all!!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The waiting is so hard…anyone else just refreshing email a few hundred times a day?

Reactions: 14 users
Any chance they would send prematches in the December batch to those who interviewed before Oct 15th?

I just checked the Previous McGovern feeds,and last year McGovern sent out prematches on 12/16 and the year prior on 12/19. I think we’re all gonna have to wait a little longer for some movement!! Good luck everyone, keep checking your inbox, spam, voicemail, Zap portal, Tmdsas, and carrier pigeon for any news

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if McGovern accepts update letters or letters of interest?

Should letters of intent be submitted before or after match day/waitlist?

Should letters of intent be submitted before or after match day/waitlist?

Theoretically after if at all but the entire point of the match system is a binding LOI. Your ranking of a school as number one is your "letter of intent".

Did everyone who interviewed get a thank you card from admissions with a mask and sticker? Opened it up today thinking it was a Christmas miracle lol….fingers still crossed for a pre-match at some point!😁

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if McGovern accepts update letters or letters of interest?
had the same question!^ Also how would update letters be submitted? Just an email to admissions or is it through the TMDSAS portal?

Send any communications like this directly to the school admissions department
I was under the impression that update letters were not allowed for McGovern? Or is it different post-interview because I'd love to send one pre-interview as I have a few fairly significant updates.

This is a late update, hopefully it helps someone.
Secondary submitted mid September, interviewed early November, prematch received mid November.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview on Friday… they said they would send the details about it a week before but with the holidays i guess they were closed. Anyone else interviewing on Jan 7th that didn’t get a email yet?

Of course it’s possible. Remember that a small percentage of applicants are members of SDN or share their news here.
Very true. I decided to share to give others hope. I applied late and had little hope for interviews and even less for prematch.

Last edited:
Interview on Friday… they said they would send the details about it a week before but with the holidays i guess they were closed. Anyone else interviewing on Jan 7th that didn’t get a email yet?
check the actual portal, everything is there

I also interview on friday and haven't gotten an email yet, it looks like everything is on the portal, but I reached out to them today to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Dang, I was really expecting some prematches to come out this week but no word on here ):

Good sleuthing, but most of those members are our student ambassadors who are part of the group to answer questions. It's closer to 15 current students and 10 early admits at this point!

Reactions: 7 users
I am guessing McGovern won't be sending anymore interviews out.
The last interview date listed on the interview feedback form was 1/14, so I think so too. Unless they update the form after every interview day.

The last interview date listed on the interview feedback form was 1/14, so I think so too. Unless they update the form after every interview day.
update: They do seem to update the form. 1/21 was added to the list

Who should letters of intent/update letters be addressed to? The admissions committee or dean of admissions?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is McGovern a match-heavy school? Really hoping to match here in March!! Is sending a LOI recommendation if I plan to rank McGovern 1st?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is McGovern a match-heavy school? Really hoping to match here in March!! Is sending a LOI recommendation if I plan to rank McGovern 1st?
I’m not sure if it’s match heavy or not, but @wysdoc has mentioned that ranking a school first pretty much indicates they are your top choice. I’m just planning on an update letter. When I called they mentioned addressing letters to the admissions committee if anyone else wants to know.

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone comment with regard to plus/minus relating to UTMB vs McGovern? Any info would be appreciated, especially from those who had to weigh offers from both as well as those already in one of the programs. Feel free to send me a direct message if you want to share something private.

So have we only had one wave of prematches for McGovern? Anyone know about prematches after the Oct 15th wave? SDN seems to be pretty quiet this cycle.

So have we only had one wave of prematches for McGovern? Anyone know about prematches after the Oct 15th wave? SDN seems to be pretty quiet this cycle.
I thought I saw reports earlier that a wave went out mid November and no one posted to SDN. If McGovern is only prematching a select few it definitely makes sense that we may not hear of it. Only a few weeks until Match though :)

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure if it’s match heavy or not, but @wysdoc has mentioned that ranking a school first pretty much indicates they are your top choice. I’m just planning on an update letter. When I called they mentioned addressing letters to the admissions committee if anyone else wants to know.
Schools don’t get to see where you rank them, so they won’t know if you rank them first

Got the official Pre-II R. Best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
oh goodness. I'm sorry. they're doing POST-II Rejections? Oh my goodness my anxiety just spiked!!
To clarify, it was for the MD-PhD program, and I was an out of state applicant so that could've been some contributing factors for getting it now 😄 sorry for amping the anxiety 😔

Hey guys, does anyone know what the attendance policy for McGovern is like? Is there an option to watch recorded lectures or is it all in-person required attendance? I overall tend to do better with recorded lectures so that's why I'm wondering how flexible the modality is

overall tend to do better with recorded lectures so that's why I'm wondering how flexible the modality is
I know when I interviewed the student that I had small group with said she rarely went to class and watched all the lectures at home and that they were recorded! I hope this helps :)

I know when I interviewed the student that I had small group with said she rarely went to class and watched all the lectures at home and that they were recorded! I hope this helps :)
This helps a lot! Thank you :)

Hey guys! Do y'all know if McGovern uses NBME questions for its exams?

Hey guys! Do y'all know if McGovern uses NBME questions for its exams?
I would also like to know this! Since McGovern isn't P/F, I would at least like to know if they make their students' lives any easier this way.