2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, McGovern hasn't done any accepted students fb group/groupme/etc. yet :(
Don't worry, they often wait until after Match when the class roster is more set.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, current MS2 here. Congrats to all who have pre-matched. To those of you who are anxiously waiting until match day - take a deep breath and best of luck!

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about McGovern/student orgs/research/living in Houston/etc.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So ready to match here on March 5th!! Does McGovern send out a lot of pre-matches? Like UTMB sent a bunch? would you say McGovern sends around the same or less?

So ready to match here on March 5th!! Does McGovern send out a lot of pre-matches? Like UTMB sent a bunch? would you say McGovern sends around the same or less?

They didn’t send out a lot compared to utmb

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! On match day, will our TMDSAS portal be up-to-date with match offers early that morning, despite whatever time McGovern sends the actual emails out? (As in, can we just check the portal in the morning instead of anxiously refreshing emails all day?)

Hey guys! On match day, will our TMDSAS portal be up-to-date with match offers early that morning, despite whatever time McGovern sends the actual emails out? (As in, can we just check the portal in the morning instead of anxiously refreshing emails all day?)
The match results are revealed at 8:00am CST. To my understanding, an acceptance email from your matched school follows later that same day.

You will see your result at 8am, either “you have matched to xx school” or “no match”.
There will be only 1 school.
if you don’t match, wait a bit to see if you are offered a place on a WL.

How do merit scholarships work? I remember hearing that applications went out around match time—can anyone comment on how the application works and when the link goes out (does it come with the match email?)? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all who have matched to this wonderful school :))) see u in the fall!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If you dont match when do you hear about if you were put on the waitlist or not?

Did not match and super bummed. Congrats to all that did though! Does anyone know the likelihood of getting in from the waitlist?

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
MATCH MATCH MATCHED...

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Didn't match, supper bummed. Hopefully I will get off wait list. Working on my letter of intent. Congrats to everyone who got in.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats everyone! Matched here, but will be giving my spot up soon. I hope my spot goes to one of you all. Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats on all the matches! I didn't match, but I had a few questions about the waitlist that I hope someone could answer.
1. Does McGovern rank students in the waitlist?
2. How many students does McGovern usually accept off the waitlist?
3. When does the most movement usually happen on the waitlist?
4. If I already sent a letter of intent with updates before matchday, is it okay to send another letter without any new updates now?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Again, congrats to all of y'all that matched.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Matched this morning :')

Congrats on all the matches! I didn't match, but I had a few questions about the waitlist that I hope someone could answer.
1. Does McGovern rank students in the waitlist?
2. How many students does McGovern usually take of the waitlist?
3. When does the most movement usually happen on the waitlist?
4. If I already sent a letter of intent with updates before matchday, is it okay to send another letter without any new updates now?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Again, congrats to all of y'all that matched.

I'm so sorry - I was in your shoes 2 years ago when I was WL'ed here, so I can answer question #1 based on information I received back then. McGovern does rank WL'ed students, but they do not inform students where they are ranked. They also explicitly stated that Letters of Interest do not change a student's rank. I also asked if I could sent post-WL updates, and they said I could, but my rank on the WL would remain unchanged.
Hope this helps a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS, just got the waitlist email... did any other OOS get it?

waitlist OOS.

they specifically said letters of intent or interest won’t increase your waitlist rank. i wonder if it’s worth sending one anyway?

Someone on admissions accidentally clicked the wrong button and all OOS got waitlist /s

Hi all - congrats to those who matched!!

I'm very thankful to have matched at a different school, but McGovern is my top choice and I got put on the waiting list. Do i have by April 30th then to commit to the school I matched to or do I not have to contact that school at all, and only need to let them know if I somehow get off the waitlist. Thanks!

I’ve been waitlisted even though I ranked it lower than the school I matched to. Why is that?

Is accepting the offer of admission considered binding at this point?

Someone on admissions accidentally clicked the wrong button and all OOS got waitlist /s
Out of curosity is this only OOS and have they sent the whoops email already? Tryna see if I should be expecting another body shot lol

Hi all - congrats to those who matched!!

I'm very thankful to have matched at a different school, but McGovern is my top choice and I got put on the waiting list. Do i have by April 30th then to commit to the school I matched to or do I not have to contact that school at all, and only need to let them know if I somehow get off the waitlist. Thanks!
For now, your match school IS your school.
If you get an offer from McGovern's WL, you need to
1. Accept the offer
2. Contact the other school promptly with your regrets and notification that you are withdrawing to accept another offer.
3. Applicants holding another TX acceptance can only get offers from a TX WL until May 15th.

1. Accept the offer
2. Contact the other school promptly with your regrets and notification that you are withdrawing to accept another offer.
3. Applicants holding another TX acceptance can only get offers from a TX WL until May 15th.
Thank you! The email I received from my match school stated that they want a commitment if holding another offer by April 30th - I should go by this deadline instead of the May 15th deadline, right?

Thank you! The email I received from my match school stated that they want a commitment if holding another offer by April 30th - I should go by this deadline instead of the May 15th deadline, right?
Yes you must commit to your Match school by April 30.

1. Accept the offer
So I matched at another Tx school, given your third point, I can only potentially move off of the waitlist at McGovern before May 15th? I thought that waitlist movement could happen all the way until orientation?

For those who have prematched and matched today, did you receive an email today to confirm the acceptance from Mcgovern? If not, should we be expecting an email soon?

So I matched at another Tx school, given your third point, I can only potentially move off of the waitlist at McGovern before May 15th? I thought that waitlist movement could happen all the way until orientation?
Correct. I'm going to post a longer post later today on the official TMDSAS questions thread to explain all the what's and why's.
Briefly, after May 15th, offers of admission from a WL can only be made to people with holding no other TX acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have prematched and matched today, did you receive an email today to confirm the acceptance from Mcgovern? If not, should we be expecting an email soon?
I prematched and matched today and haven't received an email, was wondering the same thing

Reactions: 2 users
I haven’t received anything either.