2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only if your AMCAS school is Baylor.
The agreement to only make offers of admission after May 15th to people with no other Texas acceptances is an agreement that includes all the TMDSAS schools plus Baylor. Our other Texas MD school (AMCAS TCU/UNTHSC) is not bound by this agreement.
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

granted we don’t know for sure, but in the past is it more likely for an OOS to be accepted off the waitlist after May 15th?
I don't think there is any reason to expect more OOS offers after May 15, unless currently accepted OOS people leave McGovern for new offers they prefer at OOS schools.
Even OOS people are included in the rule "no new WL offers after May 15th to those who already hold a TMDSAS/Baylor acceptance".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is any reason to expect more OOS offers after May 15, unless currently accepted OOS people leave McGovern for new offers they prefer at OOS schools.
Even OOS people are included in the rule "no new WL offers after May 15th to those who already hold a TMDSAS/Baylor acceptance".
I have always assumed the reason OOS fall below 10% at Texas schools is because when they drop out late, the seats are offered instate (dont know if it is true but there is no reason for it otherwise that I can think of).

I have always assumed the reason OOS fall below 10% at Texas schools is because when they drop out late, the seats are offered instate (dont know if it is true but there is no reason for it otherwise that I can think of).
Could be, but TMDSAS doesn’t specifically keep stats for that situation.
In-state applicants with no match are very likely to accept in late May & June 🙂

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted off of the waitlist last week!! Deciding between here and UTMB, but will be making a decision later today. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist - it has been a longggg journey.

Update: I chose UTMB! Hopefully that open spot goes to one of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Withdrawing my A. OOS hope it goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What do y’all think the chances of getting off the WL are by May 15th? 😅 Also hoping anyone who for sure knows they aren’t going here and is holding a spot withdraws to give the rest of us a chance!

What do y’all think the chances of getting off the WL are by May 15th? 😅 Also hoping anyone who for sure knows they aren’t going here and is holding a spot withdraws to give the rest of us a chance!
No one can hold more than one spot across the nation. The only ones who fall into this bracket are ones who were already offered a WL seat elsewhere and are in the process of accepting that seat.

Only if your AMCAS school is Baylor.
The agreement to only make offers of admission after May 15th to people with no other Texas acceptances is an agreement that includes all the TMDSAS schools plus Baylor. Our other Texas MD school (AMCAS TCU/UNTHSC) is not bound by this agreement.

Editing to add that having acceptances to only OOS schools would also let you stay on the TMDSAS WLs after May 15th.
Hi @wysdoc! Thanks for all the past and current on-going expert input about the application process!

Quick question about this - So does everyone get an offer of admission after May 15th with no other Texas acceptances and are currently on the WL? Or is that also dependent on the number of seats open/WL movement? Does this complicate matters if the student is only on 1 WL, potentially reducing the chances of offers after May 15 compared to multiple WL offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @wysdoc! Thanks for all the past and current on-going expert input about the application process!

Quick question about this - So does everyone get an offer of admission after May 15th with no other Texas acceptances and are currently on the WL? Or is that also dependent on the number of seats open/WL movement? Does this complicate matters if the student is only on 1 WL, potentially reducing the chances of offers after May 15 compared to multiple WL offers?
No, not everyone on the WL will eventually get an offer.
The admissions offers after May 15th can only go out now to WL people without other TX acceptances.
People who have a TX acceptance but were staying on WLs hoping to "trade up" to a school they preferred can no longer do that.

@wysdoc , another way to look at it is that:
Waitlists will shrink -- only those with No Acceptances will remain

Last edited:
What's the latest point in time this Summer that I may hear back from medical schools in Texas (including McGovern) if I am on their waitlists? Is it up until orientation (late July)? I'm on WLs for TTUHSC Lubbock, UTMB, and McGovern.

What's the latest point in time this Summer that I may hear back from medical schools in Texas (including McGovern) if I am on their waitlists? Is it up until orientation (late July)? I'm on WLs for TTUHSC Lubbock, UTMB, and McGovern.
yes, up to the start of orientation.

Just got off the waitlist!! IS 😭

• Love
Reactions: 5 users