2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High 30s. Just got the call

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
High 30s. Just got the call
what number were you if I may ask? the portal hasn't updated past 33 and i'm mid 30's so wondering if this is the same instance the high 20's ran into

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
#24 and got off the waitlist on Saturday. Anyone know if it’s possible to accept their offer if I’m currently holding another offer since it’s post April 30? I also wanted to see what they have to offer financially prior to holding their offer. If we can only hold one acceptance post the 4/30 date, is there a way to get an aid package before accepting their offer? I was offered a full ride at another school so the only way I’d be able to keep UW in consideration is if they offered me something generous (I seriously doubt they’d match it tho)
Try reaching out to the admissions office this week and explain your situation, they offered me more time if needed since I was still on another waitlist and wanted to compare financial aid package since that unfortunately plays a large factor in decision making.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance today, I'm #35.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Feeling hopeful after seeing the list nudge up to 37. Just a few more...! so call me maybe?

Reactions: 4 users
Curious, is there a deposit that we are going to have to pay? If yes, does anyone know when that might be required?

• Hmm
Curious, is there a deposit that we are going to have to pay? If yes, does anyone know when that might be required?
I never even thought about that but it never prompted me to pay so maybe there is no deposit required? My friend who accepted at another school said it was a requirement for accepted the offer. My best guess is that there is no deposit but that might be a good question for the admissions office.

Hello! If you look at the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements page for UW Medicine, you will see that no deposit is required. Hope that helps! Congrats on the acceptances everyone!
1620610305238.png

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
This was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but withdrew my acceptance offer from UW to attend another school. Good luck everybody!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the A 10 minutes ago, #38. Now I have to decide to go with this one or my other A...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi congratulations to all the A's and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!

Does anyone know if there is a fb page for admitted students? I've been searching for one and wasn't able to find anything.

Does anyone know if there is a fb page for admitted students? I've been searching for one and wasn't able to find anything.
For the Seattle campus its here:

Accepted at #40! Got the call yesterday afternoon and email today!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

For Idaho campus:

Anybody from last year (or previous years) know how the WL moved once it reached the higher numbers? I know each year is different, but I can't help but wonder what the movement was like once it hit 40s.

Does anyone know the timeframe UW gives applicants to accept an offer of admission when they are accepted off the waitlist?

Does anyone know the timeframe UW gives applicants to accept an offer of admission when they are accepted off the waitlist?
One week after April 30th but you can ask the admissions office for an extension if you have special circumstances.

Just got the call this morning, accepted at #43!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Any current students on here who can speak to the year’s calendar? Like are there
summer/winter/spring breaks?

Any current students on here who can speak to the year’s calendar? Like are there
The summer after MS1 year is pretty much the only time you'll get a summer break. It's 10 weeks long and lasts from ~3rd week of June to ~Labor Day; you do RUOP or research during this time. You get 2 weeks for winter break, usually from mid-late December, and 1 week for spring break in your MS1 year (around mid-March). Spring break isn't a thing after MS1 year, but you have winter break for all 4 years. Hope that helps.

Got the acceptance email last night and call this afternoon, #44.

Good luck to the rest of you on the WL! Remember, its not a matter of if you will get into med school, but when. Keep your head up!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm currently working in research at UW, and my spouse is on the waitlist at UWSOM. I want to make a plea that if you are going to accept an offer at another school to please consider doing it sooner rather than later. My spouse has to commit to another school they were accepted to in the next few weeks, but I would much rather have them with me in Seattle for the next four years instead :) They are only a few spots from coming off of the waitlist, so I hope it can still happen. Also, best of luck to everyone else on the waitlist. I have seen secondhand how stressful this process is, you are all rockstars!
I'm in the same position buddy and hoping for the same thing!

• Care
Anybody from last year (or previous years) know how the WL moved once it reached the higher numbers? I know each year is different, but I can't help but wonder what the movement was like once it hit 40s
An E-2019 whom I know was pulled off the waitlist for the Seattle Cohort in the middle of June 2019 to start in August. I don't know what number they were on the waitlist, but I know for 2019 UWSOM didn't go that far down (waitlist spots called to 20-24-ish). For E-2020 UWSOM went into the '40s on the waitlist and I know someone who was called at the end of June. Suffice it to say, there may still be some movement, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high as we enter June.

The summer after MS1 year is pretty much the only time you'll get a summer break. It's 10 weeks long and lasts from ~3rd week of June to ~Labor Day; you do RUOP or research during this time. You get 2 weeks for winter break, usually from mid-late December, and 1 week for spring break in your MS1 year (around mid-March). Spring break isn't a thing after MS1 year, but you have winter break for all 4 years. Hope that helps.
Don't forget Themes in Medicine / Ecology of Health and Medicine weeks! Those are between our preclinical blocks and typically have a mix of synchronous and asynchronous online learning Tuesday-Friday or fully virtual asynchronous learning during the clinical years...AKA they're a mini-break although can be quite emotionally exhausting because we're talking ethics and social determinants of health stuff.

The curriculum visuals are pretty darn accurate for the preclinical years. When you get to clinical, during MS3 you get one 6-week period for an elective or break and many students take it as fully off. Depending on the clerkship (outpatient based), you may also get federal holidays off and you should also be getting winter breaks off during third year. Fourth year is a little different simply due to however residency interviews fall for your specialty; however, those TiM/EHM weeks still occur.

I will be needing to get a new computer for this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm comfortable with both Mac and PC's. My max price is $1,200.

I will be needing to get a new computer for this fall. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm comfortable with both Mac and PC's. My max price is $1,200.
Macbook Pro 13 inch easily! It is $1299 but they have student price discount that should bring it down to $1200. If you want a cheaper option, you can go for the MacBook air. You can compare the pro and the air and choose which best fits for you (can look at difference in some youtube videos). I also strongly recommend getting a mac if your phone is an iphone.

Macbook Pro 13 inch easily! It is $1299 but they have student price discount that should bring it down to $1200. If you want a cheaper option, you can go for the MacBook air. You can compare the pro and the air and choose which best fits for you (can look at difference in some youtube videos). I also strongly recommend getting a mac if your phone is an iphone.
Thanks! Would you suggest getting Microsoft Office or could I get by with Google Drive?

Thanks! Would you suggest getting Microsoft Office or could I get by with Google Drive?
I personally use and prefer google drive. Also, I'm pretty sure UW provides us with a free Microsoft Office subscription

For non-Apple users like myself:

I ended up getting a Surface Pro. You can buy a Surface Pro 7 with either an i5 of i7 processor with money enough to spare to get yourself a docking station, extra keyboard, and a couple of monitors. You can take it to class and get a lot of utility out of it with the pen and tablet features and default compatibility with all things Microsoft (which is what UW uses). If you have a dock, you can still run things at home as a comfortable computer set up with larger monitors and a real mouse and keyboard. I personally have a desktop pc at home, but I could imagine a Surface would still be fairly versatile for all med school needs.

That being said, if you already have an iPhone and iPad, it makes sense to get a MacBook.

I'm gonna agree with idahomie. I had a Mac the first time I went to grad school and had a lot of trouble getting things to work between it and the school's PCs. I found it was easier to get an iPhone to work with a PC than it was to get a Mac to cooperate with things that needed to be opened on a Mac and a PC. After grad school I had a surface pro and LOVED it. I plan to get a surface book for the fall. The flexibility of the tablet is amazing. You get the portability of a tablet but the full functionality of a laptop. My surface is 7 years old now and still runs great.

Don't forget Themes in Medicine / Ecology of Health and Medicine weeks! Those are between our preclinical blocks and typically have a mix of synchronous and asynchronous online learning Tuesday-Friday or fully virtual asynchronous learning during the clinical years...AKA they're a mini-break although can be quite emotionally exhausting because we're talking ethics and social determinants of health stuff.

The curriculum visuals are pretty darn accurate for the preclinical years. When you get to clinical, during MS3 you get one 6-week period for an elective or break and many students take it as fully off. Depending on the clerkship (outpatient based), you may also get federal holidays off and you should also be getting winter breaks off during third year. Fourth year is a little different simply due to however residency interviews fall for your specialty; however, those TiM/EHM weeks still occur.
What about the actually schedule day to day? I thought I saw a schedule somewhere about class being 4 or 5 hours 4 days a week, but are classes in the mornings or afternoons? What’s expected of us weekly?

What about the actually schedule day to day? I thought I saw a schedule somewhere about class being 4 or 5 hours 4 days a week, but are classes in the mornings or afternoons? What’s expected of us weekly?
Every foundation site and year is different because they make changes based on student feedback, but the UWSOM Day in the life for the Seattle E-18 is somewhat accurate for what I had. The first quarter is typically easier because you don't have PCP (primary care practicum), and they left off a course called Research Methods that was every other week on Wednesdays.

Because of the regional campuses and restrictions on testing "for exam security" even if it says your Mondays/Fridays are free, you'll typically have a morning exam on at least one of those days depending on the block you're in (SO MANY Monday Exams). The caveat on the Seattle E-18 PDF regarding only 1-hr of lecture is bull. Many of the "case/group-based learning sessions" we had were lectures with a few discussion questions. This is changing to more self-prep outside for case-based learning in person. Many of the blocks are making those mandatory and it's 5-10% of your grade. Additionally, many of the regional sites have mandatory attendance at all lectures/cases b/c of UWSOM receiving funding from regional states and each state's mandate for this. It's hard to skip class when your foundation's site cohort is 20-60-ish.

All this being said, expect it to change AND expect to only be given 3-days' notice. Additionally, expect 2-3 days' notice for them to add "mandatory" meetings where if you don't attend you will get a professionalism concern and punitively be forced to sit in a room and watch a recording of the meeting on 1x speed at another time with all other students that missed the meeting. They'll also tell you "it's safe to schedule personal stuff on these mornings b/c we never have class then" and then some blocks will have extra things. For example, the musculoskeletal block had 4-hrs of class those 4-days per week, and then also added mandatory case-based learning small groups on three M/F mornings. None of this we were told would happen until the Friday before that block began

I may be burnt out, and this is all common among most medical schools from what I hear, it's just that the UW doesn't advertise this, in fact they advertise "flexible schedule with plenty of study time." I also had a life/job outside prior to medical school and expected they'd treat us like adults. Instead, we're paying $$$ to be owned for 4 years.

Every foundation site and year is different because they make changes based on student feedback, but the UWSOM Day in the life for the Seattle E-18 is somewhat accurate for what I had. The first quarter is typically easier because you don't have PCP (primary care practicum), and they left off a course called Research Methods that was every other week on Wednesdays.

Because of the regional campuses and restrictions on testing "for exam security" even if it says your Mondays/Fridays are free, you'll typically have a morning exam on at least one of those days depending on the block you're in (SO MANY Monday Exams). The caveat on the Seattle E-18 PDF regarding only 1-hr of lecture is bull. Many of the "case/group-based learning sessions" we had were lectures with a few discussion questions. This is changing to more self-prep outside for case-based learning in person. Many of the blocks are making those mandatory and it's 5-10% of your grade. Additionally, many of the regional sites have mandatory attendance at all lectures/cases b/c of UWSOM receiving funding from regional states and each state's mandate for this. It's hard to skip class when your foundation's site cohort is 20-60-ish.

All this being said, expect it to change AND expect to only be given 3-days' notice. Additionally, expect 2-3 days' notice for them to add "mandatory" meetings where if you don't attend you will get a professionalism concern and punitively be forced to sit in a room and watch a recording of the meeting on 1x speed at another time with all other students that missed the meeting. They'll also tell you "it's safe to schedule personal stuff on these mornings b/c we never have class then" and then some blocks will have extra things. For example, the musculoskeletal block had 4-hrs of class those 4-days per week, and then also added mandatory case-based learning small groups on three M/F mornings. None of this we were told would happen until the Friday before that block began

I may be burnt out, and this is all common among most medical schools from what I hear, it's just that the UW doesn't advertise this, in fact they advertise "flexible schedule with plenty of study time." I also had a life/job outside prior to medical school and expected they'd treat us like adults. Instead, we're paying $$$ to be owned for 4 years.
Thanks for the info! What site were you at?

Hello. #49 here (Seattle cohort) - just got the call and email. Plan to accept! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
So this is really random, but I was trying to figure out what the dress code would be for us in clinical settings and I came across the student handbook. I thought I might post it here in case it can help answer questions that some of you might have between now and when we start. Please let me know if this link doesn't work. It's from a Google search page 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

[/URL]

So this is really random, but I was trying to figure out what the dress code would be for us in clinical settings and I came across the student handbook. I thought I might post it here in case it can help answer questions that some of you might have between now and when we start. Please let me know if this link doesn't work. It's from a Google search page 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

[/URL]
Link doesn't work for me

• Sad
Could anyone give me an outline of the summer research experience after MS1? Are some research projects more competitive than others to get on? I understand that this research will be used for a poster presentation during MS2. Is it possible to write an abstract or paper during this time as well?