2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could anyone give me an outline of the summer research experience after MS1? Are some research projects more competitive than others to get on? I understand that this research will be used for a poster presentation during MS2. Is it possible to write an abstract or paper during this time as well?
During MS1 they'll start sending out emails in Oct./Nov./Dec. about information sessions and a database of PIs looking for medical students. COVID has changed things a bit. The last two years the Triple I has been optional; I'm not entirely sure of the school's plan this year for the E-21s if the Triple I will be mandatory or optional.

4-options in a non-COVID year. All are designed to be 6-weeks, but with research options that varies and depends on the PI. With GHIP/RUOP sometimes the timelines vary depending on site, year, and COVID burden. Expect at least 4-weeks onsite.
  1. GHIP: Global health-centered triple I. You go to Africa or South America (Peru usually) and spend time in a community working with a clinic to see medicine internationally as well as do a community strengths/needs assessment to propose (sometimes create) a project to address a health disparity or issue affecting the community. Your research poster in Sept./Oct. of M2 is centered on this project. (This was canceled during COVID.) You have to pay for flights in addition to spending money/travel abroad fee/tuition.
  2. RUOP: Similar to GHIP but this time you go to a rural underserved area and spend time in a clinic/community. This can be all over WWAMI-land. You pay for transportation (driving) to the site, they provide housing, you pay for tuition/living expenses.
  3. Scholarship of Integration: This is a literature review. You choose a topic/PI and write a paper instead of a poster. Up to the team/PI/you if you take it onward to get published. Would not recommend it. You pay for tuition, hopefully, the PI pays for the publication fee if you decide to publish.
  4. Scholarship of Discovery: True research whether bench, clinical, or retrospective. They all come with their own challenges. This is where the database comes in handy to find a project. Some are more competitive than others, depends on your year and what everyone is interested in. Within the first week you get access to it I would recommend sending emails to a few PIs with your CV. You pay for tuition usually. Sometimes the PI has funds to support you, hopefully, they at least have funds for experiment/publication fees. Most likely place for you to find a research scholarship/grant to reduce your cost for the summer, but don't expect it. Some people also would not register for this when the Triple I was optional. This saves you on tuition so long as you can cover your living expenses without financial aid. The only other thing to consider here is making sure you get a poster/publication to have something to show for your work if you do not register for tuition because it will not show up on your transcript.
Personally, I did option 4. My research team had a schedule where I did a literature review January -->June and got all of my study approvals through IRB because this was clinical research. During this time there was usually a twice-monthly meeting. In June the week after classes ended I started with the project building my database/extracting data. By the end of the summer, I had an abstract drafted and submitted to a conference for presentation, they originally wanted a poster but I ended up only being selected for podium presentations so never did a poster. By the end of the year I had a manuscript drafted. This year it's been accepted for publication. This was an extremely well-oiled research team, but this experience is not typical. The UW requires a poster presentation and a 6-week project and that's it. Based on my timeline it was just over a year of work but I ended up with a first author publication and podium abstract presentations at 2 national and 1 local conference. When you meet with your PIs be straightforward and transparent with what you are interested in and hope for. Also, remember that the UW expects 20-30hrs/week, but you're also supposed to be reviewing for boards, try to keep it reasonable.

LMK if you have more questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
During MS1 they'll start sending out emails in Oct./Nov./Dec. about information sessions and a database of PIs looking for medical students. COVID has changed things a bit. The last two years the Triple I has been optional; I'm not entirely sure of the school's plan this year for the E-21s if the Triple I will be mandatory or optional.

4-options in a non-COVID year. All are designed to be 6-weeks, but with research options that varies and depends on the PI. With GHIP/RUOP sometimes the timelines vary depending on site, year, and COVID burden. Expect at least 4-weeks onsite.
  1. GHIP: Global health-centered triple I. You go to Africa or South America (Peru usually) and spend time in a community working with a clinic to see medicine internationally as well as do a community strengths/needs assessment to propose (sometimes create) a project to address a health disparity or issue affecting the community. Your research poster in Sept./Oct. of M2 is centered on this project. (This was canceled during COVID.) You have to pay for flights in addition to spending money/travel abroad fee/tuition.
  2. RUOP: Similar to GHIP but this time you go to a rural underserved area and spend time in a clinic/community. This can be all over WWAMI-land. You pay for transportation (driving) to the site, they provide housing, you pay for tuition/living expenses.
  3. Scholarship of Integration: This is a literature review. You choose a topic/PI and write a paper instead of a poster. Up to the team/PI/you if you take it onward to get published. Would not recommend it. You pay for tuition, hopefully, the PI pays for the publication fee if you decide to publish.
  4. Scholarship of Discovery: True research whether bench, clinical, or retrospective. They all come with their own challenges. This is where the database comes in handy to find a project. Some are more competitive than others, depends on your year and what everyone is interested in. Within the first week you get access to it I would recommend sending emails to a few PIs with your CV. You pay for tuition usually. Sometimes the PI has funds to support you, hopefully, they at least have funds for experiment/publication fees. Most likely place for you to find a research scholarship/grant to reduce your cost for the summer, but don't expect it. Some people also would not register for this when the Triple I was optional. This saves you on tuition so long as you can cover your living expenses without financial aid. The only other thing to consider here is making sure you get a poster/publication to have something to show for your work if you do not register for tuition because it will not show up on your transcript.
Personally, I did option 4. My research team had a schedule where I did a literature review January -->June and got all of my study approvals through IRB because this was clinical research. During this time there was usually a twice-monthly meeting. In June the week after classes ended I started with the project building my database/extracting data. By the end of the summer, I had an abstract drafted and submitted to a conference for presentation, they originally wanted a poster but I ended up only being selected for podium presentations so never did a poster. By the end of the year I had a manuscript drafted. This year it's been accepted for publication. This was an extremely well-oiled research team, but this experience is not typical. The UW requires a poster presentation and a 6-week project and that's it. Based on my timeline it was just over a year of work but I ended up with a first author publication and podium abstract presentations at 2 national and 1 local conference. When you meet with your PIs be straightforward and transparent with what you are interested in and hope for. Also, remember that the UW expects 20-30hrs/week, but you're also supposed to be reviewing for boards, try to keep it reasonable.

LMK if you have more questions!
This is super helpful info! Thank you!

I have one question. Do you know if they discourage people who already have preclinical or clinical research backgrounds from doing option 4? I already have a graduate degree and worked in clinical research, so it seems like those options would be the easiest for me. Any input? Thanks again!

This is super helpful info! Thank you!

I have one question. Do you know if they discourage people who already have preclinical or clinical research backgrounds from doing option 4? I already have a graduate degree and worked in clinical research, so it seems like those options would be the easiest for me. Any input? Thanks again!
I believe if you already have a published first-author paper or two or a masters / doctoral degree with a published thesis you're not required to do the triple I (don't quote me on this, requirements change, but it's usually well spelled out on their intranet...).

They don't discourage you though because tuition $$$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the full range of Scholarships Offered by UWSOM? I.e., do they ever offer full ride?

i'm oor, does "still being considered" as of 1/25 mean i'm on the wl or that they havent made a decision yet...