2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WA resident - no WA Residence History request.....
1598304977392.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WA Resident - Also received my Residence History request!!

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 at UWSOM. If anyone has questions about the cycle, I am happy to help answer any questions!
Hi, I am applying to UW SOM for the 2021 app cycle and i have already submitted the AMCAS application like a month ago but i am waiting for the verification. I wanted to get a head start for the secondary application since it's one of my priority school and i want to submit it as early as possible when i get it, i was wandering if you know about the secondary application prompts or if there is any resource that i should look into?

Hi, I am applying to UW SOM for the 2021 app cycle and i have already submitted the AMCAS application like a month ago but i am waiting for the verification. I wanted to get a head start for the secondary application since it's one of my priority school and i want to submit it as early as possible when i get it, i was wandering if you know about the secondary application prompts or if there is any resource that i should look into?
UW posted the secondaries on their website which is linked below.

For the last question on the residency form for WA: If yes, have you had continuous residence in Washington for 2 years or more?

Is this asking for 2 years right before June 2021? Just wondering bc the question before that is talking about 12 months consecutively before June 2021, which I answered yes bc I am spending my gap year here, but the last time I was here for 2 years straight was in high school.

WA resident - received residency history request! woo!

For the last question on the residency form for WA: If yes, have you had continuous residence in Washington for 2 years or more?

Is this asking for 2 years right before June 2021? Just wondering bc the question before that is talking about 12 months consecutively before June 2021, which I answered yes bc I am spending my gap year here, but the last time I was here for 2 years straight was in high school.

I took this to mean 2 years from right now. I would think it needs to say "will you have had continuous residence..." if it meant 2 years from June 2021.
"If yes, have you had continuous residence in Washington for 2 years or more? (Continuous residence is a person who is maintaining and primarily occupying their primary residence in Washington without interruption other than short-term, temporary absences such as vacations, and has not taken legal actions to establish a domicile elsewhere.)"

EDIT: Although, after re-reading the prompt, it does seem as if you would answer this question as "Yes" if you had > 2y in high school. It doesn't specify the time frame — just asking about 2 years straight in general.

I took this to mean 2 years from right now. I would think it needs to say "will you have had continuous residence..." if it meant 2 years from June 2021.
That was my interpretation as well. The first question was pretty deliberate in future tense and Jun 2021, the second was in the past tense. Also, I feel like they're going to go off of your dates anyways (yes/no are like easy to misinterpret) so whatever aligns with your dates. I played it safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, just FYI for IR MSTPs, I received the residency form for the MD program so it seems my app was auto-forwarded to MD while also still being considered for MSTP!

How did you already verify residency?

I am in-region (don't want to be too specific)...but I just was in touch with my in-state campus about it and, after submitting some information, they sent me over a residency certification form that went to UW.

I submitted my secondary today and it looks like my residency certification was accepted by them (have a green check) and I now have a completed app!!!!!

Now to begin the exceedingly LONG UW wait until interviews in 2021....

Last edited:
I am in-region (don't want to be too specific)...but I just was in touch with my in-state campus about it and, after submitting some informaation, they sent me over a residency certification form that went to UW.

I submitted my secondary today and it looks like my residency certification was accepted by them (have a green check) and I now have a completed app!!!!!

Now to begin the exceedingly LONG UW wait until interviews in 2021....

Oh no, is that a thing? No interviews till 2021?

Oh no, is that a thing? No interviews till 2021?

If you are from a state in-region other than Washington, yes, it looks like the earliest interview dates were in January last year. Perhaps they'll be earlier because of virtual, but seeing how late MD secondaries even were sent out, I am guessing that won't be the case. Hope I am wrong though, this is going to be looong.

Admissions Interview | UW Medicine

If you are from a state in-region other than Washington, yes, it looks like the earliest interview dates were in January last year. Perhaps they'll be earlier because of virtual, but seeing how late MD secondaries even were sent out, I am guessing that won't be the case. Hope I am wrong though, this is going to be looong.

Admissions Interview | UW Medicine
Ah, I see. Interesting that the timelines for the different states are so different.

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster :) I am IR, and received my secondary yesterday. I am debating about the first section "autobiographical statement addendum" bit. My PS clearly reflects how/why I am pursuing medicine, and I would like to include an employment update here as I just started a super relevant and exciting new job. Thoughts on if this is the place to do that? Since UWSOM doesn't accept application updates, I'm not sure if there is a different avenue for this update, or if I should utilize that space. Any thoughts appreciated, and good luck everyone!!

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster :) I am IR, and received my secondary yesterday. I am debating about the first section "autobiographical statement addendum" bit. My PS clearly reflects how/why I am pursuing medicine, and I would like to include an employment update here as I just started a super relevant and exciting new job. Thoughts on if this is the place to do that? Since UWSOM doesn't accept application updates, I'm not sure if there is a different avenue for this update, or if I should utilize that space. Any thoughts appreciated, and good luck everyone!!
I'm a fellow applicant, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I do not think that would be a bad idea by any means, I'm in the same boat as my PS + the other secondaries covers what they want so I was going to discuss some other stuff about myself dispositionally + why UW (I'm OOR). I haven't gotten a secondary yet, but based on how it's worded last year, I believe its very open ended if you've covered what they want so I would definitely discuss new things if it strengthens your application

I'm a fellow applicant, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I do not think that would be a bad idea by any means, I'm in the same boat as my PS + the other secondaries covers what they want so I was going to discuss some other stuff about myself dispositionally + why UW (I'm OOR). I haven't gotten a secondary yet, but based on how it's worded last year, I believe its very open ended if you've covered what they want so I would definitely discuss new things if it strengthens your application
Awesome, thanks for the thoughts!

just received the residency history form :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have no ties to this school or its regions, but I loved its mission. I just received an email saying they reviewed my app, and based on my experiences, “they invite me to write a short statement on how I fit their mission.” They say this isn’t a secondary. Is this the norm for everybody? It seems like people are just getting secondaries

I have no ties to this school or its regions, but I loved its mission. I just received an email saying they reviewed my app, and based on my experiences, “they invite me to write a short statement on how I fit their mission.” They say this isn’t a secondary. Is this the norm for everybody? It seems like people are just getting secondaries
I think they send these to OOR applicants who fit their mission! If you make it past this screen, you could get a secondary! Congrats btw :)
I'm also OOR and am waiting on the short statement - can I ask when your app was complete?

Reactions: 3 users
I think they send these to OOR applicants who fit their mission! If you make it past this screen, you could get a secondary! Congrats btw :)
I'm also OOR and am waiting on the short statement - can I ask when your app was complete?
Thank you. Made my day :)

I was verified on 7/28! Best of luck to you.

Short essay email received, OOS (CA), URM

Last edited:
Does the secondary app allow you to indicate any family or regional ties to the Washington area? (I'm OOS but I have family there)

+1

I got this too and was wondering is kind of like a stage 1.5 so to speak? like if this is a solid mission statement do we receive a secondary after this or what happens after? Thanks for any insight :)

Does anyone know how many OOR applicants they send secondaries too?

Does anyone know how many OOR applicants they send secondaries too?
Not sure if this is primary or secondary. In E-19 — Interviewed 60/6285. Accept 9 of those 60. They only accept folks with significantly disadvantaged backgrounds and/or extensive work with underserved populations (americorps, etc). To put this into perspective (n=1), I initially talked to them as an OOR applicant and come from an EO1 SES background (parents total income <30k per year and on government assistance throughout childhood) and I did not qualify.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 4.30.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 4.30.00 PM.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
OOR and caucasian, vast experience with underserved communities (service, research, background), and want to do MD/MPH, also lots of research background too, so I think I fit their mission with experiences, but have been verified by AMCAS and applied (primary) since early June. Think nothing as of now is a R? or give it time? (Sorry for being neurotic, just see people verified after are getting them)

OOR and caucasian, vast experience with underserved communities (service, research, background), and want to do MD/MPH, also lots of research background too, so I think I fit their mission with experiences, but have been verified by AMCAS and applied (primary) since early June. Think nothing as of now is a R? or give it time? (Sorry for being neurotic, just see people verified after are getting them)
Not an R. They're super behind and it sounds like the first wave of OOR mission fit statements just went out. Your time will come!

Short 1.5 essay received, OOR(TX), ORM, extensive service record and disadvantaged. Submitted late June

Lol. Meanwhile I, an IS applicant who has not had even a secondary app yet, am just watching IR and OOR fly by me in the app process...

Lol. Meanwhile I, an IS applicant who has not had even a secondary app yet, am just watching IR and OOR fly by me in the app process...

I am also in-state and have not received a secondary app yet. It could be that they are focusing on IR and OOR first. It'll be our time to shine soon!

I am also in-state and have not received a secondary app yet. It could be that they are focusing on IR and OOR first. It'll be our time to shine soon!

I do believe I read somewhere that the admissions committee for each region are slightly different, so I think that probably has bearing!

I don't know that they're necessarily flying by you... those not IS have this intermediate (1.5th?) application / mission essay to submit, to even be considered for a secondary. I would assume IS never has to complete this step, although I could be wrong.

Sent my residency verification in today by mail. I still don't know why there is no email option. It's not like I'm going to drive to Moscow either.

WA resident, got my residency survey on 8/24. This is by far my #1 school, although a bit of a hail mary for me. Fingers crossed tight and good luck to everyone this cycle!!

Sent my residency verification in today by mail. I still don't know why there is no email option. It's not like I'm going to drive to Moscow either.

I can't believe they're not accepting email to accommodate COVID. So weird. I would assume it's because email is not necessarily secure and sensitive information is being transferred, but WSU just had us email the verification.

I can't believe they're not accepting email to accommodate COVID. So weird. I would assume it's because email is not necessarily secure and sensitive information is being transferred, but WSU just had us email the verification.
I think it's because they're regional and each state has to handle theirs separate. I don't doubt that there could be a technical solution (such as everyone uploads to a portal that processes them and sends it to the right office), but it could also run in to potential legal questions, such as are Washington state employees (remember UW employees are state employees) allowed to have access to personal data from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming applicants?