2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when the MD/PhD acceptances are coming out?

Not to be neurotic but has any MSTP heard back yet? It looks like it was the first week of February the last few years...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be neurotic but has any MSTP heard back yet? It looks like it was the first week of February the last few years...
I was told we would hear back early Feb at my interview. Nothing but radio silence here though. I like to blame covid :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if it's beneficial to write a letter of intent here? No prematch

Anybody know if it's beneficial to write a letter of intent here? No prematch

Definitely not. That's what your rank is for. Afterwards maybe a little more dubious but you're almost certainly wasting your time before match.

Just got the A to the MD/PhD program!!! Interviewed 11/6

Reactions: 8 users
Can a current student describe what kind of questions the preclinical year exams use? I recently got some advice that it helps if the questions come from NBME and not in house because they're easier to study for with outside resources and the content overlaps with Step 1.

Can a current student describe what kind of questions the preclinical year exams use? I recently got some advice that it helps if the questions come from NBME and not in house because they're easier to study for with outside resources and the content overlaps with Step 1.
MS4 here, so it may have changed, but they are in-house questions. Honestly with Step 1 moving to pass/fail, it doesn't matter that much.

Reactions: 2 users
MS4 here, so it may have changed, but they are in-house questions. Honestly with Step 1 moving to pass/fail, it doesn't matter that much.
Awesome, thanks! That's what I was thinking too. While I have you, what are the preclinical years like at UTSW? Since it's condensed to 1.5 years, is it kind of like undergrad where you have to study hard but still have time to chill or is it balls to the wall the entire time?

Awesome, thanks! That's what I was thinking too. While I have you, what are the preclinical years like at UTSW? Since it's condensed to 1.5 years, is it kind of like undergrad where you have to study hard but still have time to chill or is it balls to the wall the entire time?
The first semester is very difficult balancing basic sciences + anatomy + histology but the second 2 semesters are much chiller! Still always have time for fun though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if they send out waves of acceptances? I interviewed for md/PhD as well but have not heard anything.
There are only 10-12 seats for MD/PhD. It would be hard to admit people in waves if they need to limit admissions and need some to reject before they can admit more.

What's the average Step 2 CK score at UTSW? I tried searching online for that info but I couldn't find it anywhere.

What are the odds of matching on Match Day if you have yet to prematch for UTSW?

Try checking this! May or may not have it!

Thanks so much! If these numbers are accurate, it's cool to see that they have one of the highest CK scores in the country which lines up with what I've heard about the strength of their clinical education. Definitely a major plus given the recent change to Step 1.

Anyone know what the Match/Pre-Match offers ratio been historically at UTSW

Hi, can you speak to the culture at UTSW? I am particularly interested in understanding your perspective regarding the culture across three dimensions:

1. the culture between students on the gunner/competitive/collaborative spectrum,

2. the student body's relationship with the administration (e.g. whether the admin model is legit student-centric or more adversarial/aloof/uninterested in student concerns), and

3. the overall culture between students, residents, and attending (which I realize may be hard to assess as this is your first year).

Thank you so much!!!
1. The student culture is awesome. Everyone is super collaborative. We all make and share resources. People are "gunners" in the sense that everyone wants to do the best they can, but not in the way where we are trying to put down other students or make them fail etc. The environment pushes you to do well and your classmates are there to help you.

2. Admin is very collaborative with students. A lot of this is dependent on your class representatives. Ours are very involved and fight for what we want. They are very invested in student concerns compared to other schools I know of. Ex: We have a test this Friday and a lot of people were stressed/behind due to the power outages last week. Admin gave us an option to take the test normal time or defer to spring break. Folks weren't happy with this and pushed for more options. We ended up with an additional deferment date in June, the test is now non-cumulative, and all of the "mandatory" events we had this week were switched to optional.

3. I don't have a lot of experience with a variety of residents and attending, but in the speciality I'm interested in they both are very helpful and I'm involved in resident projects as well as research with attendings. All of this just started with an email, so it's very easy to make connections.

MS0 here. What are best/most common apartment options people use? Aside from on campus housing.
A lot of people live at Inwood, West Love, Maple Station. Some folks live in Uptown, West Village, Victory Park as well.

@nvuss @Cosmopolitan96 - do you guys know the odds of OOS getting an A from a mid-October interview at this point? It's been radio silence.

Thanks so much! If these numbers are accurate, it's cool to see that they have one of the highest CK scores in the country which lines up with what I've heard about the strength of their clinical education. Definitely a major plus given the recent change to Step 1.
The Step 1 is dead accurate so I would bet the Step 2 is as well! It also sounds about right -- everyone I've talked to scored about 10-12 points higher on Step 2 than Step 1.

The Step 1 is dead accurate so I would bet the Step 2 is as well! It also sounds about right -- everyone I've talked to scored about 10-12 points higher on Step 2 than Step 1.
I believe UTSW has put out a statement saying lowering the importance of step 1 helps them because they have great step 2s when it was originally announced. This email was sent to last year's admits.

I'm also OOS and haven't heard anything since October :/ not too optimistic given they seemed to review earlier interview dates for each wave of acceptances. Do you know if we'll receive an admissions decision on 3/5?
What's on 3/5?

Just checked at work right now, and I matched here even though I did not prematch! I'm so shook as I did not expect this to happen at all based from what I read! Someone pinch me. I'm stoked!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
didnt match here. matched at mcgovern. anyone know how we find out whether we're on the waitlist for utsw?

didnt match here. matched at mcgovern. anyone know how we find out whether we're on the waitlist for utsw?
You are on waitlist if you had ranked UTSW ahead of UTH in your ranking for the match.

Hey, everyone. I saw the name and shame thread on Reddit and SDN about how UTSW admin is pretty malignant towards residents and medstudents.

I was initially set on UTSW, but now I'm having second guesses. Everyone I talked to at interview day and the subsequent events said it was a supportive environment, but I'm worried that they've just been selected by admin to talk good about the school.

Any students or residents at UTSW willing to comment on the culture there?

Hey, everyone. I saw the name and shame thread on Reddit and SDN about how UTSW admin is pretty malignant towards residents and medstudents.

I was initially set on UTSW, but now I'm having second guesses. Everyone I talked to at interview day and the subsequent events said it was a supportive environment, but I'm worried that they've just been selected by admin to talk good about the school.

Would you mind linking the reddit post?

Would you mind linking the reddit post?

There's a few.

This one is the one talking about the NICU and peds residents. link

Another one talking about a controversy where a medical student was expelled, Made it to federal court. link

One from a few years back about an attending dropping n bombs in the OR. link

I have the same concern. UTSW has had the best admissions/welcome committee of any school I've been accepted to by a mile but after reading some of those posts it made me worry that they are trying to "hide" something. It's still probably my top choice at the moment since I feel like the majority of your med school experience is what you make it, but I'd prefer to not have issues with admins/midlevels/etc as a medical student.

I have the same concern. UTSW has had the best admissions/welcome committee of any school I've been accepted to by a mile but after reading some of those posts it made me worry that they are trying to "hide" something. It's still probably my top choice at the moment since I feel like the majority of your med school experience is what you make it, but I'd prefer to not have issues with admins/midlevels/etc as a medical student.

Exactly my feeling. UTSW has the best clinical training of any of the schools I've gotten into, as well as Step scores and match list. If it wasn't for this nagging feeling that something is amiss, I would be all onboard already.

On interview day, one of the MS1 committee people literally told our group "they picked us to talk to you guys for a reason." Not sure if that was a hint hint or not. I would love to have a chat with any of the medstudents (esp ones who have been on the wards) off the record to really see what it's like.,

I have to say that everyone has been very helpful, friendly, and the school seems very well organized. Needless to say the facilities are out of this world.

you think its worth it to send a letter of interest or something? if i didn't match there but they were my number 1? i already sent one a while ago. a little after i interviewed

you think its worth it to send a letter of interest or something? if i didn't match there but they were my number 1? i already sent one a while ago. a little after i interviewed

General rule of thumb is that it's not going to move the needle much in either direction, depending on what you actually have to say in the letter.

Has anyone been able to describe how exactly the school/admin are malignant towards med students? Looking at those threads, people seem to have a strong opinion about the school but I don't see any specifics. Those individual incidents, while not great to see, don't really point to a widespread institutional problem to me. I'm sure you would find isolated racist attendings or Title IX disputes at any other school too.

I've had plenty of complaints about the school/course directors/admin throughout the years, but I can't imagine it is much different than other medical schools and nothing that I would consider malignant. The people you talk to at every school are going to be an admin selected/self-selected subset of the population, so imagine that as best case scenario but not necessarily the opinion of every student.

Exactly my feeling. UTSW has the best clinical training of any of the schools I've gotten into, as well as Step scores and match list. If it wasn't for this nagging feeling that something is amiss, I would be all onboard already.

On interview day, one of the MS1 committee people literally told our group "they picked us to talk to you guys for a reason." Not sure if that was a hint hint or not. I would love to have a chat with any of the medstudents (esp ones who have been on the wards) off the record to really see what it's like.,

I have to say that everyone has been very helpful, friendly, and the school seems very well organized. Needless to say the facilities are out of this world.
MS4 here happy to talk to any of y'all that have concerns over PM :) I have never had any concerns of malignancy from the administration. I'll give an example -- our dean literally called me once when I didn't show up for an exam that I thought was an hour later than it really was to make sure everything was okay.

Congratulations to all those who were matched this past week! Does anyone have any idea how the waitlist works? Any idea how many students get off the waitlist? Or even when most of the waitlist offers go out?