2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s a complete status but you haven’t been reviewed yet. Why would you think that’s a soft R??
Because my portal status changed from something like “the sub committee will now review your application” and it seems like this new update meant that they had looked over my application and didn’t offer an interview yet but may down the road

Members don't see this ad.

My portal says “your file review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates” does anyone else have this or know if it is pretty much a soft R

Check this post below from a fellow user who got an II. Their status was the same as yours before they got their II. You shouldn’t assume it’s a soft R at all.

It was "Your File Review is Complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal"

Check this post below from a fellow user who got an II. Their status was the same as yours before they got their II. You shouldn’t assume it’s a soft R at all.
Definitely not a soft R! I was the very first II at VCU (that I know of) so I wouldn’t read into it at all

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have this too! My score should have released to them as well.
I called and the admissions office said she could see my score and she assumed that the message was generic. She unfortunately didn't work for the school of medicine, so take that with a grain of salt. I'd maybe give them a call? I'm going to call again and check next week.

I called and the admissions office said she could see my score and she assumed that the message was generic. She unfortunately didn't work for the school of medicine, so take that with a grain of salt. I'd maybe give them a call? I'm going to call again and check next week.
I had that CASPR message and got an II yesterday!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 8/29 (just now)! I'm not sure if this is up in the thread anywhere, but did it take awhile to get a confirmation email about your app being submitted? Haven't received a submission email or a payment confirmation yet.

Submitted 8/29 (just now)! I'm not sure if this is up in the thread anywhere, but did it take awhile to get a confirmation email about your app being submitted? Haven't received a submission email or a payment confirmation yet.

I haven't gotten a confirmation email about my app being submitted, but my application status did update in the portal itself.

Has anyone done the interview yet? How was it? I have it on Wednesday and super nervous

Has anyone done the interview yet? How was it? I have it on Wednesday and super nervous

MMI with faculty and M4 students. Overall quite chill, but I definitely recommend practicing beforehand. You shouldn't be surprised by the questions they ask.

Reactions: 6 users
MMI with faculty and M4 students. Overall quite chill, but I definitely recommend practicing beforehand. You shouldn't be surprised by the questions they ask.

dang nice!!how long did u talk for? I can only do like 3-4mins lol

Can anyone describe how VCU conducted the MMI virtually? Usually, for an MMI, the prompt is outside the door but how do they present the prompt to you on Zoom? How are you switched between different interviewers?

Reactions: 2 users
Was the traditional aspect ok/pretty standard seeming? Kinda nervous about a single traditional q requiring 2 minutes of prep and 14 minutes of discussion

The traditional question was unsurprising. I talked about my clinical experiences that would answer "why medicine"

dang nice!!how long did u talk for? I can only do like 3-4mins lol

At each MMI station, I'd talk for about 3-5 minutes so that I wouldn't ramble and bore the interviewer lol. The interviewer would then ask a follow-up question (e.g., why did you choose X decision you mentioned?)

Can anyone describe how VCU conducted the MMI virtually? Usually, for an MMI, the prompt is outside the door but how do they present the prompt to you on Zoom? How are you switched between different interviewers?

Prompt was on a Word Doc that was screen-shared, then afterwards every interviewee and interviewer went into separate break-out rooms. All interviews were one-on-one. Not surprisingly (but unfortunately), some audio and video issues occurred, but this was a minor problem for me.

At the end of the day, interviewing is something you practice by cultivating your conversational skills and articulating how your experiences, hobbies, aspirations, and interests are meaningful (if not necessarily relevant to medicine). I don't think these can be crammed in a 5-hour study session as much as they're developed when you talk with your friends, professors, colleagues, and others.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
For current VCU students, I have a question about Why VCU?

I was looking into their curriculum. I really liked their year off situation to conduct biomedical research. However, i couldnt find their learning style. Is it PBL? CBL? or Trad?

Also, what drew you to VCU? cheers.

I'm not gonna lie im super frustrated cuz my application status still says:

Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

I've been at this status for like 6 weeks now. Is anyone else still in the same boat?

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not gonna lie im super frustrated cuz my application status still says:

Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

I've been at this status for like 6 weeks now. Is anyone else still in the same boat?
Omg I've had this status for 7 weeks no joke

Easier said than done, but you just have to trust the process and not get too caught up in all of it. I was in that situation until mid November last year, then got an II for early January, now I'm attending here. It'll work out.

Reactions: 9 users
Easier said than done, but you just have to trust the process and not get too caught up in all of it. I was in that situation until mid November last year, then got an II for early January, now I'm attending here. It'll work out.

Thanks for your reassurance and wisdom! As long as we're not the 76ers I'm sure the process will work out.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
OMG FIRST II of the cycle right now! I almost wasn't going to apply to VCU because of their sketchy rejections hours after submitting a secondary

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
OMG FIRST II of the cycle right now! I almost wasn't going to apply to VCU because of their sketchy rejections hours after submitting a secondary
Congrats! Mind sharing when your secondary was marked complete ?

FIRST II!! I'm so excited!! OOS. Got the email around 6pm but didn't see it until 9ish

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Mind sharing when your secondary was marked complete ?
Thanks so much!!

I believe I was marked complete around 7/27. I submitted 7/20 but had issues with my payment going through. It started the review process on 8/3!

Hi guys, my application portal (for the four weeks) says this: "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." what's the differences between sub-committee and committee? is this a soft R lol? I actually got waitlisted (post II) last cycle and I don't remember seeing this last year, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Stay healthy everyone.

Hi guys, my application portal (for the four weeks) says this: "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." what's the differences between sub-committee and committee? is this a soft R lol? I actually got waitlisted (post II) last cycle and I don't remember seeing this last year, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Stay healthy everyone.
I've had three different messages in my portal. I went from the first "member of the admissions committee" to this one and now I have a "the admissions committee will do a review."

Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application.

Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades.

is this basically asking the same question? I explained poor grades but im assuming the first question has more so to do with breaks in schooling?

For "poor grades", did you discuss only things that were below a C? I have two Cs, but do not have a worthwhile explanation for it. I was curious if people were addressing those or only mentioning Ds, Fs, or Ws.

I've had three different messages in my portal. I went from the first "member of the admissions committee" to this one and now I have a "the admissions committee will do a review."

I've had the same subcommittee message since I applied in July so I have no idea what the process is, some people went from committee to subcommittee too.

Only time will tell I guess

My portal says “your file review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates” does anyone else have this or know if it is pretty much a soft R

I got this message today and I got the CASPER message underneath it. Anyone else in the same boat? Feeling kind of down since I really love this school's family medicine program but yeah idk :/

Mine had that message from 8/11 to yesterday! Definitely not a soft R. You've got this!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
After one full month on "a member of the committee", I am pleased to report that I am finally onto the "sub-committee". They are still moving guys :)

Reactions: 4 users
I received my first rejection this cycle from Virginia Commonwealth today. :(

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
sorry to hear that, I hope you are pleasantly surprised with an interview soon! Do you mind me asking what your "status" was?

APPLICATION STATUS
Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in July 2021.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and suggests that you consult with your premedical advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.

APPLICATION STATUS
Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in July 2021.

The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and suggests that you consult with your premedical advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.

We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.

Sorry man. That's a wow. When did you submit?

On hold for a possible A/WL post II, Interviewed 08/27! OOS, LM 83. Absolutely loved VCU and the faculty/students I met at my interview :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
On hold for a possible A/WL post II, Interviewed 08/27! OOS, LM 83. Absolutely loved VCU and the faculty/students I met at my interview :)

Same! Interviewed 8/27. IS, LM 79. Did you receive this following message?

The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 1. If any of these dates fall on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. An alternate list will be formulated in mid-March and will become active at that time

Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you either receive an offer of admission or an invitation to be on the alternate list. Your application will no longer be under consideration if you do not receive an invitation to be on the alternate list

My status just switched from the subcommittee message to this:
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I got this message today and I got the CASPER message underneath it. Anyone else in the same boat? Feeling kind of down since I really love this school's family medicine program but yeah idk :/
What Casper message??