2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same! Interviewed 8/27. IS, LM 79. Did you receive this following message?

The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 1. If any of these dates fall on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. An alternate list will be formulated in mid-March and will become active at that time

Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you either receive an offer of admission or an invitation to be on the alternate list. Your application will no longer be under consideration if you do not receive an invitation to be on the alternate list
Yes, this exactly! Guess we'll hold our breaths until October 16! Wishing you all the best

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
What Casper message??

"
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM are required to complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2021 cycle, Casper results will be utilized as part of the decision to extend interview invitations. Test dates can be found at CASPer test dates and fees - CASPer. To sign up for CASPer, go to www.takecasper.com
"

My status just switched from the subcommittee message to this:
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.
my status just changed to that too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ people who got a II: My status changed from committee to sub-committee a few days ago. How long were you guys stuck on this before the "your file review is complete" status and II invitation?

For "poor grades", did you discuss only things that were below a C? I have two Cs, but do not have a worthwhile explanation for it. I was curious if people were addressing those or only mentioning Ds, Fs, or Ws.

I also had 2 C’s and addressed those. Mine were in the same semester so I just explained what happened and how I overcame them

@ people who got a II: My status changed from committee to sub-committee a few days ago. How long were you guys stuck on this before the "your file review is complete" status and II invitation?
Submitted 7/20, complete 7/27. "Member of the committee" as of 8/3, "subcommittee" on 8/11, and then II invite. I didn't ever see the "your file review is complete," but I may have just missed it. Good luck! You've got this!

Does anyone know how fmSTAT works? If I applied for it, will I still be considered for regular MD?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten an interview invite yet, but my status was on sub-committee for about 2 weeks before it switched to complete today
my status is on sub-committee since I submitted (July 24th), never had the committee status

Reactions: 1 users
Wait I got an email from Judy Gary with the subject saying "Regarding an Interview" does that mean something??

She said to call her back by 5 PM today.

Does anyone know how fmSTAT works? If I applied for it, will I still be considered for regular MD?

Hey I also applied for it! Not sure how it works either but just wanted to say you're not alone! You've got this <3

Wait I got an email from Judy Gary with the subject saying "Regarding an Interview" does that mean something??

She said to call her back by 5 PM today.
Hey I also applied for it! Not sure how it works either but just wanted to say you're not alone! You've got this <3

actually the email from Judy Gary is for FMSTAT! Message me for more deets if you’re interested

I got an interview invite but they didn't even email me I had to check the portal lmao. I'm super happy though! :)

Reactions: 2 users
II???????!!!!!!!!!! a very wonderful surprise today :')

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! Does anyone remember how long they were under subcommittee review? still stuck there..

II today! So excited to be interviewing at my alma mater! I interviewed a previous cycle, and was waitlisted. Here's hoping for the A this time!

Reactions: 1 users
I was at "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." for 4 weeks.
Thank you! Did your status change to subcommittee then admissions committee? Or is there no particular structure to how the review works?

Yes, it did switch rather quickly from subcom to admissions committee rather quickly. I do not know how the structure works. Good luck during this daunting process.

mine was only a member of the committee and then the II! So I don't think there's a structure to it

did any of you that received a II get another email with more info about the interview day?? I scheduled my interview but haven't received that email yet so i'm getting worried haha

My first II!!! Got the email about a status update yesterday while at work but completely missed it until now

EDIT: The earliest interview dates available to me were in 2021... but there's no way all the slots were taken for the rest of this year already, right? Does VCU offer different interview dates depending on the applicant (for example, IS vs. OOS)? Sorry if it's an ignorant question, this is my first time applying and I'm new to SDN, so I'm not super familiar with what's "typical" or common practice. Either way I'm extremely grateful to have received an II and would love to attend this school :) Wishing everyone the best this cycle!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
My first II!!! Got the email about a status update yesterday while at work but completely missed it until now

EDIT: The earliest interview dates available to me were in 2021... but there's no way all the slots were taken for the rest of this year already, right? Does VCU offer different interview dates depending on the applicant (for example, IS vs. OOS)? Sorry if it's an ignorant question, this is my first time applying and I'm new to SDN, so I'm not super familiar with what's "typical" or common practice. Either way I'm extremely grateful to have received an II and would love to attend this school :) Wishing everyone the best this cycle!

I think the spots actually filled up pretty quickly, but Im not completely sure! I went on the website as soon as I got the email and the earliest date available was in November. Either way their holistic review, and the fact that they save seats throughout the interview process, means that no matter when the interview is, we should have fair chance at getting accepted!

I think the spots actually filled up pretty quickly, but Im not completely sure! I went on the website as soon as I got the email and the earliest date available was in November. Either way their holistic review, and the fact that they save seats throughout the interview process, means that no matter when the interview is, we should have fair chance at getting accepted!

Ah I see, thank you for your insight! And you're right, their holistic review is very reassuring!

Received an email today extending me an II and giving me an upcoming date for September 16th with two different time options. Portal was not updated though and was not sent a link by email. I was instead told to respond back and that this is a first come first serve opportunity.

Edit: Was initially thinking there was a mix up but now that I confirmed I got the II thought I'd give everyone their favorite info haha. OOS/ORM/518 MCAT/ 3.93 GPA/ Complete 7/27

Last edited:
Just received an email confirming my interview scheduled on September 16th but I never received an II via email or portal update and never scheduled an interview, so I'm confused?? Just checked my portal and it looks strange, there are multiple messages that seem to contradict each other - it says I have an interview scheduled but also says the admissions committee will review my application and that my app is being held for new MCAT scores and grades but I don't have any pending MCAT scores/grades. I'm guessing this is all a mistake lol. Did this happen to anyone else?

Edit: this was a strange mix up that would take too long to explain, but I did receive an II! 516, 3.96, OOS, ORM, complete on 7/28.

Last edited:
Just received an email confirming my interview scheduled on September 16th but I never received an II via email or portal update and never scheduled an interview, so I'm confused?? Just checked my portal and it looks strange, there are multiple messages that seem to contradict each other - it says I have an interview scheduled but also says the admissions committee will review my application and that my app is being held for new MCAT scores and grades but I don't have any pending MCAT scores/grades. I'm guessing this is all a mistake lol. Did this happen to anyone else?

Edit: this was a strange mix up that would take too long to explain, but I did receive an II! 516, 3.96, OOS, ORM, complete on 7/28.

How I received and scheduled my II seemed really weird in comparison to everyone else also but can't complain haha

• Haha
My status went from committee to subcommittee today. It was stuck at committee for the longest time. Nice to see a little update I guess, lol.

What’s the post-II acceptance rate at VCU?

Last edited: