2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how do we know our secondary is complete? My application status page is just blank

I had the same issue for a couple days. I'd wait for a few days and it should update your application status soon!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if we are allowed to take notes in the 2 min period we read the prompt before our 7-min MMI interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Be yourself! I was nervous at first but the staff makes it so clear that they really just want to get to know you, your values, and thought processes. Go with your gut and they'll always work with you to form a two-way conversation. Hope this helps and good luck!

did you introduce yourself at the beginning of each station?

does anyone know if we are allowed to take notes in the 2 min period we read the prompt before our 7-min MMI interview?

No, they specifically mention not to.

did you introduce yourself at the beginning of each station?

Yes, the interviewers generally introduced themselves so I introduced myself in those situations. I only did not do so once because the interviewer said she was writing my name down off her screen so it felt weird to introduce myself when they were trying to figure out how to spell my long last name lol

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
No, they specifically mention not to.

Yes, the interviewers generally introduced themselves so I introduced myself in those situations. I only did not do so once because the interviewer said she was writing my name down off her screen so it felt weird to introduce myself when they were trying to figure out how to spell my long last name lol

thank you sooo much! this was super helpful :)

After checking my portal today, I now have the hold for review information below the previous status. Considering I graduated in 2019 and completed the MCAT in July, I know this hold is a mistake but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.21.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.21.06 PM.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 204
After checking my portal today, I now have the hold for review information below the previous status. Considering I graduated in 2019 and completed the MCAT in July, I know this hold is a mistake but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
I've had this for a few weeks but I don't think it's a hold? Not sure though

Reactions: 1 user
I've had this for a few weeks but I don't think it's a hold? Not sure though
No, I understand it's not a hold for an interview but rather a hold to have my application reviewed due to their records showing I have unfinished coursework or new MCAT, neither of which are true for me. And they even state that if this isn't the case to reach out to them immediately, which I'm going to do but just didn't know if anyone else experienced this.

No, I understand it's not a hold for an interview but rather a hold to have my application reviewed due to their records showing I have unfinished coursework or new MCAT, neither of which are true for me. And they even state that if this isn't the case to reach out to them immediately, which I'm going to do but just didn't know if anyone else experienced this.

It doesn't say you are on hold. It says you may be placed on hold. I had this for a few days before getting my ii.

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't say you are on hold. It says you may be placed on hold. I had this for a few days before getting my ii.
Interesting. I just found it strange that it was added on later. Congrats on the II!

Does anyone know if we can send thank you notes to our interviewers?

I don't recall them forbidding it. I was planning on sending a general thank you letter to the admissions office for organizing the virtual interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recall them forbidding it. I was planning on sending a general thank you letter to the admissions office for organizing the virtual interview.
This is probably a good move. I don't think I'm going to send a thank you but if I did I would just send one to the admissions office and not to the individual interviewers, just because the interactions were so brief with the MMI.

I am afraid that, because I didn't stretch the truth for my hours for activities on AMCAS, I am a disadvantage... All applicants seem to be stretching the truth for their hours, and here I am actually counting hours and putting down 55 hours for a couple activities, while others "estimate" 100 hours for an actual 30 hours. How much does this matter? Do adcoms focus more on the meaning of the experience anyways?
Did people who got IIs from VCU have a lot of non clinical volunteering hours?

I had a lot of clinical hours (over 2000 total) but only about 70-80 hours of non clinical volunteering listed on my app.

I am afraid that, because I didn't stretch the truth for my hours for activities on AMCAS, I am a disadvantage... All applicants seem to be stretching the truth for their hours, and here I am actually counting hours and putting down 55 hours for a couple activities, while others "estimate" 100 hours for an actual 30 hours. How much does this matter? Do adcoms focus more on the meaning of the experience anyways?
Did people who got IIs from VCU have a lot of non clinical volunteering hours?
I got an II, but I don't think I had all that much non-clinical volunteering. I had 200 hours over four summers (not even recent, like 2014-2017) for an inner city camp. I also had 1000 hours over 10 years with my church but it was mainly internal service, not exactly direct community service. No exaggeration of hours, but I was able to make what I believe to be meaningful connections to medicine, so maybe that helped.

Has VCU basically finished out sending IIs? It seems like all new II dates are in end of November or 2021

Has VCU basically finished out sending IIs? It seems like all new II dates are in end of November or 2021
Didn't they just start sending IIs like a month ago or less? Would they really be done that quickly?

For people that received IIs, how long did your status say “file review complete, you will be notified of an II via an update”?

Do you guys think sending an update in a couple of weeks about accumulating over 100 hours for a meaningful clinical volunteering experience is worth it? Or will that reflect poorly? (got the position after submitting amcas but listed in secondary)
Also, I realized I actually miscalculated hours for one activity (listed about 30 hours less than what I actually had done over 2 years). Would it be worth it at this point to send an email correcting this or would it reflect poorly?

Great thanks!! Did you get an email for the II or just an update on the portal?

Initially got a voicemail message from the admissions office then received an email after missing the call

Initially got a voicemail message from the admissions office then received an email after missing the call
Thanks everyone for responding!! I almost missed my deadline for file complete because I hadn’t uploaded some document :(

For those that got an interview did your status change to subcommittee or did it stay as "a member of the committee"?

Do you guys think sending an update in a couple of weeks about accumulating over 100 hours for a meaningful clinical volunteering experience is worth it? Or will that reflect poorly? (got the position after submitting amcas but listed in secondary)
Also, I realized I actually miscalculated hours for one activity (listed about 30 hours less than what I actually had done over 2 years). Would it be worth it at this point to send an email correcting this or would it reflect poorly?
Don’t do this. VCU doesn’t love updates unless they’re really significant. Dean whitehurst cook told me last year update after 3 months at a new position. I would reach out and ask.

Those of us who interviewed last week should be getting a portal update sometime this week notifying us that we've either been rejected or placed on hold for an acceptance, right?

Those of us who interviewed last week should be getting a portal update sometime this week notifying us that we've either been rejected or placed on hold for an acceptance, right?

Yup, they told us that we should get that update on our portal by Wednesday/Thursday

According to MSAR, 75 out of 100 waitlisted applicants get in so getting that hold notification is a really good sign. The anticipation is killing me.

Reactions: 1 users
According to MSAR, 75 out of 100 waitlisted applicants get in so getting that hold notification is a really good sign. The anticipation is killing me.
Same! :nailbiting: it's good to hear that a WL is not a death sentence though!

Same! :nailbiting: it's good to hear that a WL is not a death sentence though!

Definitely. They emphasized during the interview that around 40% of the matriculating class is composed of applicants taken from the waitlist. Based on a class size of 184, it lines up almost perfectly with the MSAR data. Wishing you good luck! Let's get this.

• Care
I am still under sub committee and I was completed July 27th... Should I be scared?

I am still under sub committee and I was completed July 27th... Should I be scared?
I've been on "a member of the commitee" since 7/24 lmao. We just need to wait it out

Hey guys just wanted to check in about the waitlist information / information about post II acceptance. Everything you guys are seeing is not up to date. In the 2018-2019 cycle they interviewed about 700 applicants and gave out about 300 ish acceptances. Last year and the year before there were 250 people put on the waitlist, and they only give about 100 Acceptances on the waitlist. I believe last year they gave a little less.

Hey guys just wanted to check in about the waitlist information / information about post II acceptance. Everything you guys are seeing is not up to date. In the 2018-2019 cycle they interviewed about 700 applicants and gave out about 300 ish acceptances. Last year and the year before there were 250 people put on the waitlist, and they only give about 100 Acceptances on the waitlist. I believe last year they gave a little less.

Did you guys hear that? That was my hopes and dreams crashing and burning

• Care
Wait list applicants have about a 35-40% chance of getting off according to Dean Mission's report in previous year's cycle. Most of the current M1s that I know did not get waitlisted, but some did, so don't lose hope if that happens!

Portal updated to show that I'm on hold for an acceptance! I interviewed on 9/16

Reactions: 7 users
finally moved to subcommittee today lol

Did anyone that interviewed 09/15 receive a portal update yet?