2020-2021 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here you go:

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)
2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it.
(200 words or less)
3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process?
(200 words or less)
4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine.
(150 words or less)
5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting.
(50 words or less)
6. Have you previously applied to any MD programs during a previous admission cycle (Yes or No.) If 'Yes,' please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements to your previous application (200 words or less)
7. If you have received a C+ grade or lower in any coursework, please explain (200 words or less)
8. Optional Essay Question.
If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here (200 words or less)
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For the "adversity" or challenge essay, the prompt says to talk about a "non-academic" challenge. Would overcoming a fear of public speaking count as non-academic?

Last edited:
For the "adversity" or challenge essay, the prompt says to talk about a "non-academic" challenge. Would overcoming a fear of public speaking count as non-academic? For example having an issue publicly speaking/presenting in certain classes then later overcoming it as a TA?
I am just another applicant like you, so this is just my best guess, but I would imagine that is fine, I would think non-academic is more-so any experience other than not doing well in a certain class. I can see an argument for either way, but I do not think anyone is insanely strict over clarity issues like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed the VITA. Does anyone know what the next step is? I understand that we have an interview day, but nowhere on the invite did they have a time listed for an actual interview. Does this mean that VITA is our interview?

I just completed the VITA. Does anyone know what the next step is? I understand that we have an interview day, but nowhere on the invite did they have a time listed for an actual interview. Does this mean that VITA is our interview?

My understanding is that VITA is supposed to replace the interview because Wake typically does MMI format. But I think that applicants should also expect to get some type of invite to talk with faculty and current med students virtually.

Read here: First they will view your VITA video before the day you are scheduled for your "virtual session" with Wake Forest.
MD Program Application Process

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that VITA is supposed to replace the interview because Wake typically does MMI format. But I think that applicants should also expect to get some type of invite to talk with faculty and current med students virtually.
So our interview day is 1:1? I am scheduled 9/10 from 3-5pm and thought that it would be with other applicants. Does anyone have the same II slot?

did your guys' casper scores really take 7-14 days to be sent to wake forest? thats what it says on their portal...

did your guys' casper scores really take 7-14 days to be sent to wake forest? thats what it says on their portal...
Mines took two weeks to get my score but was shown as complete in the portal the same day.

II about 30 minutes ago! Was not expecting that at 10pm on Labor Day.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm a little confused: they say we need to complete VITA before attending the virtual information session, does that mean if the virtual session is on a Tuesday, we need to do VITA like the Thursday/Friday before so that there's 2 business days for it to get sent or can we just do it like the day before the session

Would anyone mind answering the question: when most schools ask about connections to their school/state, do they usually ONLY ask about immediate family (siblings, parents, grandparents) or do some of them also ask about direct relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc)?

Would anyone mind answering the question: when most schools ask about connections to their school/state, do they usually ONLY ask about immediate family (siblings, parents, grandparents) or do some of them also ask about direct relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc)?
The secondaries I've seen have only asked of immediate family!

has anyone done the interview session with them? Was the faculty and med student Q&A with a group or was it 1-on-1 like a normal interview?

They don't give updates, you can't reread your essays, just a mess compared to most other schools

Not ideal, but you can reread essays by clicking the blue "View Form HTML" button.

Reactions: 1 users
They don't give updates, you can't reread your essays, just a mess compared to most other schools
Lol most schools place you "under review" and radio silence. Wake makes it clear that you'll know when something happens and it's one less webpage I'm checking every 10 minutes to check for an update, so I'm not going to complain.

anyone know how far w/ II's they are / if there's an instate bias or not? love this school

Hey guys! I’m doing ED for Wake and I was wondering if we know what time of day/how far out from the interview Wake typically notifies applicants of their application status. I’m spending a lot of time staring at my email so I’m just wondering haha..

So I'm a little confused: they say we need to complete VITA before attending the virtual information session, does that mean if the virtual session is on a Tuesday, we need to do VITA like the Thursday/Friday before so that there's 2 business days for it to get sent or can we just do it like the day before the session
Also confused. From my understanding, we have to complete VITA at least 2 business days before the virtual session.

Also confused. From my understanding, we have to complete VITA at least 2 business days before the virtual session.
No, VITA is sent almost instantly to the schools, so it doesn’t have to be 2 business days. They noted that in the webinar, but it’s not anywhere else. I also had a friend who had to send in VITA to get his Microsoft Teams invite, and the school sent the Teams invite within the hour of him submitting his VITA.

No, VITA is sent almost instantly to the schools, so it doesn’t have to be 2 business days. They noted that in the webinar, but it’s not anywhere else. I also had a friend who had to send in VITA to get his Microsoft Teams invite, and the school sent the Teams invite within the hour of him submitting his VITA.
Got it, thanks.

Last edited:
does anyone else hate the WF portal

Yes and I also hate that it’s under the same place as UMichigan’s too which caused a lot of confusion for me when I thought I was having technical difficulties with only Michigan’s portal but really, deleted Wake Forest’s portal and all my work when trying to fix Michigan’s problems -.- doubt I’ll get interviewed my Wake now since I had to contact tech about deleting my portal account by accident....

Yes and I also hate that it’s under the same place as UMichigan’s too which caused a lot of confusion for me when I thought I was having technical difficulties with only Michigan’s portal but really, deleted Wake Forest’s portal and all my work when trying to fix Michigan’s problems -.- doubt I’ll get interviewed my Wake now since I had to contact tech about deleting my portal account by accident....
Don’t overthink it:lol: contacting the tech department will have absolutely no effect on whether you are interviewed or not.

Can anyone provide some more info on the information session? Was the Q&A just a big group/panel type, or more interview like? Does it play any role in their consideration?

Anyone else applying late due to life/virus/casper/letters? Someone comfort me.

Reactions: 4 users

I'm still working on my secondary, you're not alone! MCAT got moved 4x because of the rona and AMCAS messed up one of my transcripts LOL

I'm still working on my secondary, you're not alone! MCAT got moved 4x because of the rona and AMCAS messed up one of my transcripts LOL
Oh hey I talked to you in the CUSOM thread! I'm below their mean MCAT so I'm SKRESSED. Good luck!

Oh hey I talked to you in the CUSOM thread! I'm below their mean MCAT so I'm SKRESSED. Good luck!

Oh yeah hey friend!!! MCAT is just one part of your app, I'm sure you have a lot more in your experiences and personal statement that will help you out! Also I feel like many schools are taking COVID into account with handing out interviews (or at least that's what I tell myself to feel better LOL) so don't count yourself out! Best of luck to you too!!! I'll drop an update in the thread if I hear anything :)

I sent in my secondary last week and just received a complete email so you for sure aren’t the only one applying late. We got this!

Can anyone provide some more info on the information session? Was the Q&A just a big group/panel type, or more interview like? Does it play any role in their consideration?
It was a big group/panel, but plenty of opportunity to ask as many questions as you have. Not sure the role it plays in consideration.

im going to be sending my application here on Monday, hope its not too late!

Reactions: 3 users
Not too late! If this makes you feel better, I am a current Wake M3 and my application in 2017 was not compete until October 30th.
wow, thank you! thats awesome to hear. it is hard not to get absorbed by all of these posts on SDN and Reddit saying you must be done by labor day and what not. (Though i understand the value of submitting early, and i did do as much as I could as early as I could, but i ran out of money haha, so now im applying to a few more since my money situation is a tad better than last month) but its nice to see living proof of someone who did it a little later than most.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
In the event that we get an II, are we able to schedule/confirm the date of our virtual session before receiving or completing VITA?

What is the average time it took for you guys to get an update on your application? There's only 4 people on the II tracker, so I'm just kind of trying to figure out if they're silent rejecting me or they probably haven't gotten to my application yet. The silence? Unbearable.

Side note: Has anyone completed their application in late August and early September that has received any new information?

What is the average time it took for you guys to get an update on your application? There's only 4 people on the II tracker, so I'm just kind of trying to figure out if they're silent rejecting me or they probably haven't gotten to my application yet. The silence? Unbearable.

Side note: Has anyone completed their application in late August and early September that has received any new information?
I was complete in early September and haven't heard a peep.

LOL I've been complete since the beginning of August and still haven't heard anything. If there's one thing I've learned from this cycle, it is to be patient. Ik we all want to be neurotic and overthink everything, but I am sure they just haven't gotten to our apps yet.

Reactions: 6 users