2020-2021 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: West Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any insight about OOS applicants chances? Low GPA and high MCAT here, attended an undergrad close to Morgantown but still OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any insight about OOS applicants chances? Low GPA and high MCAT here, attended an undergrad close to Morgantown but still OOS.

I'm applying here as an OOS as well -- and I'm fairly optimistic. I believe just over 30% of the class is OOS. If your undeniably competitive and have a strong story of "why medicine," it won't matter if you're an OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?Maximum word count should be 150 words.
2. The mission statement of our School mentions that we prepare our learners to be "resilient." However, every incoming student is expected to already have some degree of resilience as described in AAMC Pre-Professional Competencies. Please describe how you have demonstrated resilience and adaptability.Maximum word count should be 150 words.

Please Choose TWO:
3. Tell us one unique fact about yourself.Maximum word count should be 150 words.
4. What is your theme song and why?Maximum word count should be 150 words.
5. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.Maximum word count should be 150 words.
6. Every accepted student to the Class of 2025 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates, and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?Maximum word count should be 150 words.

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received this morning, submitted and complete 7/10

I just got the secondary, but what do you guys think about OOS chances here? I can’t say I have any ties to the state without being dishonest. MSAR says relationship to the state is very highly recommended.

My MCAT is at the bottom of the range for OOS accepted last cycle. Would the secondary be a waste of money? Thanks!

I'm OOS and have no ties to the state but thought I would give it a shot anyway seeing how unpredictable the application process can be!

Can any current students talk to me a little bit about the curriculum? I see that it's P/F with recorded, non-mandatory lectures (which is good), but do you have a lot of PBL outside of that? What is your typical schedule like / day in the life?

What do you think about the Morgantown area.. how big is it?

Can any current students talk to me a little bit about the curriculum? I see that it's P/F with recorded, non-mandatory lectures (which is good), but do you have a lot of PBL outside of that? What is your typical schedule like / day in the life?

What do you think about the Morgantown area.. how big is it?
So first year curriculum just got a complete facelift, so I can't speak (at least from experience) to the schedule for MS1s this year. From what I understand most of the first semester is very lecture heavy and PBL is added in during the second semester. I will attach a graphic for reference.

As for schedule/day in the life it really is what you make it. It takes a few weeks to get a grasp on the material and figure out what resources/study methods work best for you, but once you get through that it is much easier to divvy up your time and start adding other things in.

Morgantown is a largeish city for WV and has basically everything you could ever need. There are plenty of options for grocery stores and more importantly a large array of places to eat. The huge variety of food is honestly one of my favorite things about the whole town. I also really appreciate the location of the SOM. The majority of main campus is on the side of the hill whereas the HSC and hospital are on top of hill. (I prefer it this way because there is some separation from the undergrads)

Hopefully this was at least a little helpful, if you would like to chat more feel free to pm me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.25.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.25.14 AM.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 200
is the application portal not been working for anyone else since saturday?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the secondary, but what do you guys think about OOS chances here? I can’t say I have any ties to the state without being dishonest. MSAR says relationship to the state is very highly recommended.

My MCAT is at the bottom of the range for OOS accepted last cycle. Would the secondary be a waste of money? Thanks!
Where did you find the MCAT statistics broken down by OOS vs In-State?

Where did you find the MCAT statistics broken down by OOS vs In-State?
I still have my MSAR subscription, it was on there. You can select OOS in the dropdown menu above MCAT scores accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students able to elaborate on the significant differences between the three campuses?

First R of the cycle.. Complete 7/10 OOS

• Sad
Placed on waitlist for II, OOS LM 70. Happy it’s not an outright R but does anyone know if this interview waitlist has had movement in previous cycles?

waitlist for II but my letter of rec isn't in yet - maybe they're waiting for my letter, is that why?

I still have my MSAR subscription, it was on there. You can select OOS in the dropdown menu above MCAT scores accepted.

Oh my gosh, I didn't know you could do that! Thank you! Wish I had known this when I was making my school list. I based all of my choices on "All Accepted Applicants" data..

Good luck to you!

I was just placed on waitlist for II as well. OOS, MCAT 512, GPA 3.9

Does WVU usually send out interview invites this early? I wasn’t expecting mine for another month

OOS put on waitlist for II today, complete 7/13. Kinda surprising I didn't get the R considering my lower MCAT score (506). If anyone has any insight on the movement of pre-II waitlist that'd be great. Good luck to those applying!

I just submitted my secondary, but I hadn't assigned any letters to my app yet. As I assign them on AMCAS, will they transfer to my secondary or do I need to submit them as an update letter? Sorry, I'm sure this is dumb question on my part, but this is my first submitted primary. Thanks in advance.

I just submitted my secondary, but I hadn't assigned any letters to my app yet. As I assign them on AMCAS, will they transfer to my secondary or do I need to submit them as an update letter? Sorry, I'm sure this is dumb question on my part, but this is my first submitted primary. Thanks in advance.
Assign them in AMCAS. Resubmit your application. This will transmit the LORs to the institution and automatically associate it with your secondary app.

Same here! OOS - no ties. Submitted 7/15. This is my first cycle and first time I heard back from a school! Really hope this interview-waitlist isn't purgatory.
Interesting! We all seem to have no ties haha. This is also my first school I heard back. I did some research and it seems like WVU tend to waitlist a lot of OOS applicants. But they pull a handful from the waitlist for interviews too, so it’s possible we still have a chance.

Interesting! We all seem to have no ties haha. This is also my first school I heard back. I did some research and it seems like WVU tend to waitlist a lot of OOS applicants. But they pull a handful from the waitlist for interviews too, so it’s possible we still have a chance.
yup! they favor people with strong ties to WV if they are not instate. But here is to hoping....

Rejected today. OOS no ties. 3.5 cGPA. 510 MCAT. Goodluck peeps.

Yeah, sounds like I’m the only in-state person in this thread