2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wright State University

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from this school yet. Has anyone gotten any emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, secondaries started to get sent out on July 18th, so hopefully we'll hear something soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Current first year at this medical school. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: 2 users
What's it like living in Dayton? Is having a car advisable?
I am living in Cincinnati currently because we only have to report to campus on Fridays for in-person activities. I look to settle in Dayton when we start to have more in-person classes. According to many I talked to, having a car is necessary. Most people live a little far from school though.

Current first year at this medical school. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

This may be more challenging but do you have many OOS classmates?

Reactions: 1 user
This may be more challenging but do you have many OOS classmates?
About 40% of the class is OOS but most of them had some prior connections to Ohio. Not to say, there are tons of people who had no connections to Ohio but still enrolled as 1st years.

Just a straightforward question, do you like it there?
I chose this school over 4 others, mostly because of my interview experience. This medical school is picky in the types of students it selects. I really like it because of the noncompetitive atmosphere. Everyone supports each other in everything. When you come to class, you don't listen to lectures. You have to read before class, and come to class to answer multiple choice questions. Besides, usually the class is only 3 hrs each day, so you get to decide how you want to spend the rest of the day.

Reactions: 5 users
I chose this school over 4 others, mostly because of my interview experience. This medical school is picky in the types of students it selects. I really like it because of the noncompetitive atmosphere. Everyone supports each other in everything. When you come to class, you don't listen to lectures. You have to read before class, and come to class to answer multiple choice questions. Besides, usually the class is only 3 hrs each day, so you get to decide how you want to spend the rest of the day.

Any info on what type of students they're looking for?

Have you guys received secondaries? I have not

Members don't see this ad :)
Any info on what type of students they're looking for?
The detailed info is on their website. But they like students who have underwent challenges before in their life and who use that to show empathy to others. They also like activities on your AMCAS app where it shows that you have impacted other ppl's lives, such as tutoring and helping people succeed through initiating study sessions, etc..

Reactions: 3 users
Still no secondary, anyone else receive one/know if they are having delays?

Last year, we got our secondaries on July 18th. Maybe a little delay this year due to people working from home.

Maybe its just me but I am only able to do that competencies thing and there's no actual "secondary" yet with any questions

Reactions: 8 users
All I see is that they want you to click the experiences we put on our primary application and assign them to different categories: Service Orientation, Leadership, Research Experience, Teaching or Tutoring, Cultural Competence, Clinical Experience.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe they are doing it in sections? I was thinking maybe it's something like they will review your competencies first and then decide whether or not to extend a secondary to you, but from what I've seen in the past they don't screen, unless this is something new.

Same here, just filled out the competencies but didn't see a button for the secondary. Any current students have info on this? Did they do it in sections?

Same here, just filled out the competencies but didn't see a button for the secondary. Any current students have info on this? Did they do it in sections?
Same here. Thought it was a bit odd, but glad to know others are experiencing the same thing lol. Maybe it kind of acts as a screen?

Just received it OOS!

Also filled out competencies! No questions for me

Competencies completed, like you guys nothing else indicated. I didn’t have this issue in 18-19, either this is technical difficulty or they are prescreening now.

OOS Secondary "competency" activity received.
I feel like I didn't realy know what activities to assign to cultural competency... I just put down some volunteering activities where I worked with either underserved populations or served/met people from many differnt backgrounds and cultures. Thoughts? Do you guys think thats adequate???

I feel like I didn't realy know what activities to assign to cultural competency... I just put down some volunteering activities where I worked with either underserved populations or served/met people from many differnt backgrounds and cultures. Thoughts? Do you guys think thats adequate???
I personally only assigned non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations. None of my other activities fit the description they gave

i think that should be fine! interacting with people from different backgrounds should inform you about cultural competence in my opinion

but yea this was interesting i guess this is some sort of screen? because i just received an email to fill out the typical secondary app now

Got secondary OOS

Does anyone know whether they screen applicants before sending out secondaries? They took a bit of time but I hear it might have been a technical issue?

so I just got a secondary, like an actual one with essays, anyone else? OOS, LM 64

I personally only assigned non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations. None of my other activities fit the description they gave
Ok cool. That sounds good! Was just wondering if people were going to put down volunteering. Or if people think that the only things that count are on campus official cultural groups or other similar things. Glad to hear someone else approached it similarly! :)

so I just got a secondary, like an actual one with essays, anyone else? OOS, LM 64
No! Have not gotten essays yet! Did you submit the competency thing before you got the essay part?? Or were the essays the first thing that showed up in your inbox?

Also received secondary! I think the competency was just a qualification

Also received secondary! I think the competency was just a qualification
Just received an email indicating I qualify for a secondary also, but no actual secondary link/email. Will we have to wait 24 hours for it?

Ok cool. That sounds good! Was just wondering if people were going to put down volunteering. Or if people think that the only things that count are on campus official cultural groups or other similar things. Glad to hear someone else approached it similarly! :)

for this one I put my study abroad and other cultural stuff, I put my non clinical volunteering under the service one

Just received an email indicating I qualify for a secondary also, but no actual secondary link/email. Will we have to wait 24 hours for it?
This school's secondary is getting weirdly complicated. I just got an email that makes it seem like we are going to get 3 additional emails with seperate links to different parts of the secondary. 1. Prereqs, 2. documents, and 3. essays?

Can anyone who gets the essays please post the prompts? :)

Reactions: 2 users
i got the email, but im unable to see the actual essays on the portal? we just click on the competencies link right? do u guys see the essays on the portal
I also got a "congrats you qualified for a secondary app" after submitting the competencies. Went back to the link for the competency portal like they said to, and I don't see anything else besides a "you completed the competencies activity" screen. Maybe the essays come in an additional email? The instructions/wording in the "congrats you qualify for a secondary" email is very confusing.

Reactions: 3 users
Bottom of the newly received email:

Please note that you may have already received an email introducing you to the competencies activity, you will receive three additional emails with instructions on prerequisites, collect documents and the secondary applications. Please allow 24 hours for the receipt of all secondary application information.