You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I applied two cycles ago and they did screen applications. My experience was that they didn't reject you straight out if you don't get a secondary though. They required a 495 MCAT and either a 3.0 BCPM GPA or 3.3 post bac/graduate BCPM GPA. They more worded it as "At this time, you don't meet the requirements, but you can take classes or retake the MCAT to meet the minimum requirements by December 15."Got secondary OOS
Does anyone know whether they screen applicants before sending out secondaries? They took a bit of time but I hear it might have been a technical issue?
I also received a secondary today. I received two emails and I only have access to the competencies. It is highlighted in yellow on the second email that we should give them 24 hours to send the other e-mails.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had access to all 3 when clicking the link. There were no long essays. Only 500 character explanations of things such as economic hardship, what you are doing if you take a gap year, how COVID-19 impacted your application, ties to Ohio or the school.
Could you please post the prompts
I also received a secondary today. I received two emails and I only have access to the competencies. It is highlighted in yellow on the second email that we should give them 24 hours to send the other e-mails.
Same. Kind of a strange method
gluconeo10
Full Member
Licenses/Certifications
If you have earned a medically related certificate/license, please select one of the following. Chose “other” for certificates/licenses not listed and explain this selection on the question that follows. Chose “none of the above” if you have not earned a medically related certificate(s)/license(s).
If you earned a medically related certificate/license, how many hours have you worked in that role since earning your certificate/license? If not, please enter N/A. (100 Characters)
Socioeconomic Background
Did you have a financial need in college that required you to take out educational loans?
Did you or your family overcome a significant economic hardship?
If there has been a significant economic hardship, please explain the circumstances. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you had paid employment during the summers after matriculating (entering) college, how many summers did you work?
Which of the following best describes the summer you worked the most hours?
If you had paid employment during the academic year after matriculating (entering) college, how many academic years of college did you work?
Which of the following best describes the academic year you worked the most hours?
Family Background
Were you raised in a single parent household?
Are either of your parents a graduate of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine?
If your parents are graduates of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, please list their name(s) and graduation year(s). Enter N/A if your parents are not Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Alumni. (100 Characters)
Are any of your relatives Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff?
If you have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff, please list their name(s). Enter N/A if you do not have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff. (100 Characters)
Application Background
Is this your first medical school application cycle?
Have you applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle?
If you have applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle, please indicate the year(s) of your previous application(s). Enter N/A if this is your first application to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. (100 Characters)
Short Answer Questions
Has there been/will there be a gap between achieving your bachelor’s degree and expected matriculation into medical school?
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school?
If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you have attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school, as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O., please list the name of the school and explain the reason for separation. Enter N/A if you have not attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O. (500 Characters)
Do you have a connection to any of the following? Please select all that are applicable
If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any effect the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has had on your application (i.e. delayed MCAT, withdrawn courses, online coursework, pass/fail grading, etc.). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you have earned a medically related certificate/license, please select one of the following. Chose “other” for certificates/licenses not listed and explain this selection on the question that follows. Chose “none of the above” if you have not earned a medically related certificate(s)/license(s).
If you earned a medically related certificate/license, how many hours have you worked in that role since earning your certificate/license? If not, please enter N/A. (100 Characters)
Socioeconomic Background
Did you have a financial need in college that required you to take out educational loans?
Did you or your family overcome a significant economic hardship?
If there has been a significant economic hardship, please explain the circumstances. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you had paid employment during the summers after matriculating (entering) college, how many summers did you work?
Which of the following best describes the summer you worked the most hours?
If you had paid employment during the academic year after matriculating (entering) college, how many academic years of college did you work?
Which of the following best describes the academic year you worked the most hours?
Family Background
Were you raised in a single parent household?
Are either of your parents a graduate of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine?
If your parents are graduates of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, please list their name(s) and graduation year(s). Enter N/A if your parents are not Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Alumni. (100 Characters)
Are any of your relatives Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff?
If you have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff, please list their name(s). Enter N/A if you do not have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff. (100 Characters)
Application Background
Is this your first medical school application cycle?
Have you applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle?
If you have applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle, please indicate the year(s) of your previous application(s). Enter N/A if this is your first application to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. (100 Characters)
Short Answer Questions
Has there been/will there be a gap between achieving your bachelor’s degree and expected matriculation into medical school?
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school?
If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you have attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school, as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O., please list the name of the school and explain the reason for separation. Enter N/A if you have not attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O. (500 Characters)
Do you have a connection to any of the following? Please select all that are applicable
If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any effect the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has had on your application (i.e. delayed MCAT, withdrawn courses, online coursework, pass/fail grading, etc.). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
I only received the competencies email, but when I logged into the portal, the other stuff like pre-reqs, documentation, short answer were all there!Anyone else only get the competencies email so far? Though I’m still a few hrs away from hitting the 24hr mark
oh wait you're right it shows up on the portal nowI only received the competencies email, but when I logged into the portal, the other stuff like pre-reqs, documentation, short answer were all there!
I also received this email.I received an email to complete them, all of them are updated on the portal now!
"Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application. Please visit your Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Regular M.D. program Applicant Gateway to complete your next activity."
Anyone open up the section that says "Secondary Application for Wright State"? I'm scared to open it because it says once you leave the section you will not be able to return and they cannot reopen it. Are the questions pretty simple? Or are they actual essay questions?
gluconeo10
Full Member
That is the section where I found and posted the questionsI also received this email.
"Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application. Please visit your Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Regular M.D. program Applicant Gateway to complete your next activity."
Anyone open up the section that says "Secondary Application for Wright State"? I'm scared to open it because it says once you leave the section you will not be able to return and they cannot reopen it. Are the questions pretty simple? Or are they actual essay questions?
Ah thank you, I see that now!That is the section where I found and posted the questions
gluconeo10
Full Member
You don't have to complete the whole thing when you click on it the first timeAh thank you, I see that now!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yesterday I did everything I could that the portal gave me: competencies, pre-requisites, and the very short answer questions (gap years, am I a nontrad, explain any probs in the app, etc 500 characters).
This morning I got an email that said:
"Thank you for your interest in the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. We have received your secondary application and competencies activities; your application is complete.
Your application has been marked complete and is in review status. Your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview and you will not receive additional update emails. Interview invitations are extended from September through March. The process of making all final decisions will not be completed until late March.
Any questions not related to status can be answered by emailing [email protected].
Sincerely,
Gary LeRoy, MD"
So I guess that's it? Just gotta wait to see if they'll give me an II?
This morning I got an email that said:
"Thank you for your interest in the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. We have received your secondary application and competencies activities; your application is complete.
Your application has been marked complete and is in review status. Your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview and you will not receive additional update emails. Interview invitations are extended from September through March. The process of making all final decisions will not be completed until late March.
Any questions not related to status can be answered by emailing [email protected].
Sincerely,
Gary LeRoy, MD"
So I guess that's it? Just gotta wait to see if they'll give me an II?
gluconeo10
Full Member
I did the exact same thing and received the same email today. I am assuming the same thing.Yesterday I did everything I could that the portal gave me: competencies, pre-requisites, and the very short answer questions (gap years, am I a nontrad, explain any probs in the app, etc 500 characters).
This morning I got an email that said:
"Thank you for your interest in the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. We have received your secondary application and competencies activities; your application is complete.
Your application has been marked complete and is in review status. Your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview and you will not receive additional update emails. Interview invitations are extended from September through March. The process of making all final decisions will not be completed until late March.
Any questions not related to status can be answered by emailing [email protected].
Sincerely,
Gary LeRoy, MD"
So I guess that's it? Just gotta wait to see if they'll give me an II?
I did the exact same thing and received the same email today. I am assuming the same thing.
Dang, then that was the easiest secondary I will ever do LOL
That was the strangest secondary I have filled out. 500 char is nothing AND there weren't even any deep questions.
Main ones below
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any effect the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has had on your application (i.e. delayed MCAT, withdrawn courses, online coursework, pass/fail grading, etc.). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Main ones below
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
Briefly describe any effect the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has had on your application (i.e. delayed MCAT, withdrawn courses, online coursework, pass/fail grading, etc.). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
For the medical certificates, what exactly counts? Would CPR/BLS certified be something to mention?
I didn't just because it asks about how many hours... CPR/BLS can't really be described that way
maybe a dumb question but my loans aren't based on financial need so they were unsubsidized. I had two siblings in college at the same time so these loans were actually necessary even though my family isn't considered financially in need. Would I still qualify as 'yes' on the loan question? I am still paying them off individually and I do want that considered.
MoonQuail
Full Member
80$ You pay after you complete all 3 parts. When you submit the third essay/demographic info part, the button at the end will say "submit and pay."Is there a fee for submitting the application? I don't see it
D
deleted964256
Not a dumb question. I would qualify yes. Your parents didn’t pay for your college, MANY premeds come from silver spoons with parents who completely fund them.maybe a dumb question but my loans aren't based on financial need so they were unsubsidized. I had two siblings in college at the same time so these loans were actually necessary even though my family isn't considered financially in need. Would I still qualify as 'yes' on the loan question? I am still paying them off individually and I do want that considered.
I got a confirmation email that im complete about an hr after submittingSubmitted everything minus the additional docs since it was optional and i don't have any. Never received a confirmation email. How long should I wait to expect one?
I did too! I submitted everything last night and received a confirmation email not too long agoI got a confirmation email that im complete about an hr after submitting
I did too! I submitted everything last night and received a confirmation email not too long ago
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+\1I did too! I submitted everything last night and received a confirmation email not too long ago
philippesandwich
Full Member
check FAQ pageWhat definition does Wright State use for non-traditional student?
cap_2
Full Member
Are interview invites emailed? Not sure how to check my status otherwiseYesterday I did everything I could that the portal gave me: competencies, pre-requisites, and the very short answer questions (gap years, am I a nontrad, explain any probs in the app, etc 500 characters).
This morning I got an email that said:
"Thank you for your interest in the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. We have received your secondary application and competencies activities; your application is complete.
Your application has been marked complete and is in review status. Your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview and you will not receive additional update emails. Interview invitations are extended from September through March. The process of making all final decisions will not be completed until late March.
Any questions not related to status can be answered by emailing [email protected].
Sincerely,
Gary LeRoy, MD"
So I guess that's it? Just gotta wait to see if they'll give me an II?
MoonQuail
Full Member
Mine took about 24 hours to come.Submitted everything minus the additional docs since it was optional and i don't have any. Never received a confirmation email. How long should I wait to expect one?
premed1996
Full Member
I submitted my secondary, competencies, and pre-reqs on 7/29--still no confirmation email. Should I be worried? I didnt upload any documents because I dont necessarily have any 'updates' right now and wanted to leave it for if I do have one in the future (I have a couple manuscripts in progress so hopefully those get accepted before the end of this cycle lol). Anyone else not hear anything after they submitted?
I submitted my secondary, competencies, and pre-reqs on 7/29--still no confirmation email. Should I be worried? I didnt upload any documents because I dont necessarily have any 'updates' right now and wanted to leave it for if I do have one in the future (I have a couple manuscripts in progress so hopefully those get accepted before the end of this cycle lol). Anyone else not hear anything after they submitted?
i wouldn't worry, i got my email two days after secondary submission, whereas others received it immediately. it prob varies plus it's a weekend now and maybe they will send out the "complete" emails on monday.
I applied two cycles ago and they did screen applications. My experience was that they didn't reject you straight out if you don't get a secondary though. They required a 495 MCAT and either a 3.0 BCPM GPA or 3.3 post bac/graduate BCPM GPA. They more worded it as "At this time, you don't meet the requirements, but you can take classes or retake the MCAT to meet the minimum requirements by December 15."
So if you scored below a 495 there's no point in filling out the competencies?
Does anyone know if Wright State is going to have a virtual open house soon?
So if you scored below a 495 there's no point in filling out the competencies?
Shoot your shot but there's a good chance they might screen you out after submitting. Who knows though...with this application cycle things could be evaluated differently.
Shoot your shot but there's a good chance they might screen you out after submitting. Who knows though...with this application cycle things could be evaluated differently.
Yeah thats what I’m hoping for. Nobody is talking about if medical schools might actually be more lenient this year to get more applicants/matriculants due to coronavirus.
ElementaryMyDearWatson
Full Member
Yeah thats what I’m hoping for. Nobody is talking about if medical schools might actually be more lenient this year to get more applicants/matriculants due to coronavirus.
I wonder if more people are applying this year to take advantage of the weird cycle or if less people are because of all the complications
Yeah thats what I’m hoping for. Nobody is talking about if medical schools might actually be more lenient this year to get more applicants/matriculants due to coronavirus.
Yeah...but quite frankly, due to school being moved online for many, I think it gave lots of applicants more time to work on their applications despite all the MCAT hiccups. It'll be an odd cycle but med schools aren't going to short themselves with "poorer" applicants because of it all.
Got the complete email this morning (submitted 8/1). Good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied two cycles ago and they did screen applications. My experience was that they didn't reject you straight out if you don't get a secondary though. They required a 495 MCAT and either a 3.0 BCPM GPA or 3.3 post bac/graduate BCPM GPA. They more worded it as "At this time, you don't meet the requirements, but you can take classes or retake the MCAT to meet the minimum requirements by December 15."
I see. So if I were to receive that message, might as well take it as a rejection?
If someone receives that email, I would take it as a rejection unless you retake the MCAT or take classes to improve your GPA before the date stated.I see. So if I were to receive that message, might as well take it as a rejection?
Hello! I am wondering if you are allowed to start filling out the supplemental application without having to do it all in one sitting?
Hello! I am wondering if you are allowed to start filling out the supplemental application without having to do it all in one sitting?
I was never able to get mine to save so I ended up doing it all at once
Are the following questions not the same? If there has been a gap in your education, say from undergrad to med school, doesn't that make you a non-traditional applicant?
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)
If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)