2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are the following questions not the same? If there has been a gap in your education, say from undergrad to med school, doesn't that make you a non-traditional applicant?

If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

No, not really. Lots of people take a gap year now but that doesn’t make you non-traditional. Someone may have needed to take a semester off for financial or personal reasons and that can be explained in the gap question.

Members don't see this ad.

No, not really. Lots of people take a gap year now but that doesn’t make you non-traditional. Someone may have needed to take a semester off for financial or personal reasons and that can be explained in the gap question.

Okay, thank you. I did some reflection and figured out how to answer each.

If an II is not received, does the school send rejection emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students who are attending this school that I can PM and ask some questions about the program? Thanks.

Hello! I am wondering if you are allowed to start filling out the supplemental application without having to do it all in one sitting?
I started mine, answered all the questions except for 1, and accidentally left it open for too long and it kicked me out / forced me to log out. I was able to get back into it immediately after without any issues (but my answers weren't saved). This happened several times, actually.

Does anyone know when they start sending out IIs?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when they start sending out IIs?
in the email they sent me telling me my application is complete, it says interview invites will start to be extended in September.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
How many of you guys are submitting committee letters for your LOR?

I was going too but it looks like it’s going to be around 2 months before it even gets finished because my school needs my MCAT scores. I’m not taking the MCAT until 9/11 and then once scores are released my committee said it could take 4 weeks to submit the committee letter. I have enough individual letters on Interfolio and I’m thinking about just submitting those instead, but not sure if it would look bad. Thoughts?

Do you guys think I should write the essay about extenuating circumstances (bad grades) for one C+ in biochemistry? I don’t want to draw attention to it but I have this essay from other schools already.

Do you guys think I should write the essay about extenuating circumstances (bad grades) for one C+ in biochemistry? I don’t want to draw attention to it but I have this essay from other schools already.
I wouldn't draw attention to it if you got the grade from simply underestimating the course load. Extenuating circumstances would be if other personal problems interfered/impacted you!

So guys just to confirm, "Once you leave this section, you will not be able to return and we cannot reopen it" does NOT mean I have to do it all in one sitting... right?

So paranoid about this for some reason.

My understanding was you do have to do it all in one sitting which is why I have not started that secondary section yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got a complete email, how long did it take after submission?

Any current 2nd, or 3rd year students that I can PM to answer some questions about this program? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

You don't have to complete the whole thing when you click on it the first time
so when you click it the first time, you can just view the questions but not have to answer them, and will be able to come back later? is this for all the sections? they all have the " once you leave the section you will not be able to return and they cannot reopen it. " but do they just mean after you submit it?

so when you click it the first time, you can just view the questions but not have to answer them, and will be able to come back later? is this for all the sections? they all have the " once you leave the section you will not be able to return and they cannot reopen it. " but do they just mean after you submit it?
yes, that's how it was for me

wait, so the answers to the secondary have no influence on admission? cause it says " Your answers to these questions DO NOT influence your admission status." wow I've never seen this before

Anyone do a letter of intent?

Typically shouldn’t send letters of intent until post-II and mostly if you’re on the WL. You want to be sure that it’s the school you 100% want to go to and make sure it doesn’t seem like you’re trying to use it to your advantage

Reactions: 3 users
I checked the FAQ page (Frequently Asked Questions | Boonshoft School of Medicine | Wright State University) and didn't find anything, is it generally just someone who didn't go to med school right after college?
That’s too general. Lots of students take a gap year but are still 22-23 years old. Being non-traditional could mean many things and it’s up for your interpretation. There are applicants who are married and have families, been in the workplace for a few years, went back to school in order to pursue medicine, etc. Consider the type of applicants the school sees and if you fit in that non-trad group, great, but if not, I’d be hesitant to calling yourself non-traditional.

is anyone writing a letter of intent?
Unless you have already interviewed it’s general consensus not to send a letter of intent. Because Wright State hasn’t sent any IIs (to my knowledge) it shouldn’t be on your radar quite yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is the only thread that I’ve seen people asking about letters of intent already? Is there a reason behind that or just random?

So what are we saying is a "non trad"? I saw it as someone who doesnt go into med school right after undergrad..... That would be my case but im not really a non trad..... im confused lol I would have 3 years between graduating from undergrad and matriculating into medical school. Anyone else in the same boat?

So what are we saying is a "non trad"? I saw it as someone who doesnt go into med school right after undergrad..... That would be my case but im not really a non trad..... im confused lol I would have 3 years between graduating from undergrad and matriculating into medical school. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah, I am in a similar situation. I opted for not selecting non-trad because I am not switching from another career, and medicine has always been my plan.

I considered myself non-trad because I took time off between undergrad and medical school unlike a trad applicant would even though I was premed throughout undergrad. People have this gap for various reasons such as career change or just needing more time to decide whether or not medicine is the right choice. Regardless, I don't think it's the traditional path where the student had been wanting to be a doctor for a while, worked towards that and had the confidence to apply out of undergrad.

I considered myself non-trad because I took time off between undergrad and medical school unlike a trad applicant would even though I was premed throughout undergrad. People have this gap for various reasons such as career change or just needing more time to decide whether or not medicine is the right choice. Regardless, I don't think it's the traditional path where the student had been wanting to be a doctor for a while, worked towards that and had the confidence to apply out of undergrad.
Well I have also been premed throughout my undergrad, so I think that would make me NOT a non trad.....this is so confusing lol

Yeah, I am in a similar situation. I opted for not selecting non-trad because I am not switching from another career, and medicine has always been my plan.
yeah I was premed throughout all of undergrad. I dont think im non trad in that sense. Idk. This is annoying lol

Well I have also been premed throughout my undergrad, so I think that would make me NOT a non trad.....this is so confusing lol
Yeah and with more and more people applying after they've taken a gap year that this path seems to be more traditional

i asked this question a few days and said "no" to nontraditional, just because the way they seemed to use nontrad on their site seemed to refer more to career changers and/or people who have been out of undergrad for a really long time (like more than 10ish years)

Obviously, the choice is up to you. If you feel like writing another essay and feel like your gap years contributed to added perspectives and or something different you could bring to the entering class, go for it. Personally, It seems like taking a year or two off before entering medical school is becoming more common. The non-trad question is an opportunity for you to write about your life experiences that most people who have followed the "traditional" path might not have had and how these experiences contributed to who you are and what you can add to the school. In the end, you should do what you feel comfortable with. I don't believe there is a wrong answer as long as you can back up your decision.

Last edited:
For the "Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events)." question, is mentioning taking the MCAT twice appropriate? Anyone here do the same thing?

@YeMustBeBornAgain Were there circumstances that contributed your MCAT scores, or were you just not as prepared as you thought? Lots of people take the MCAT more than once, but not all of them had life events that will have impacted their preparation. As I mentioned earlier, If you feel comfortable talking about it and explain why you believe this is pertinent, go for it.

I think taking 1-3 gap years is becoming the new traditional personally.

Licenses/Certifications

If you have earned a medically related certificate/license, please select one of the following. Chose “other” for certificates/licenses not listed and explain this selection on the question that follows. Chose “none of the above” if you have not earned a medically related certificate(s)/license(s).

If you earned a medically related certificate/license, how many hours have you worked in that role since earning your certificate/license? If not, please enter N/A. (100 Characters)

Socioeconomic Background

Did you have a financial need in college that required you to take out educational loans?

Did you or your family overcome a significant economic hardship?

If there has been a significant economic hardship, please explain the circumstances. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If you had paid employment during the summers after matriculating (entering) college, how many summers did you work?

Which of the following best describes the summer you worked the most hours?

If you had paid employment during the academic year after matriculating (entering) college, how many academic years of college did you work?

Which of the following best describes the academic year you worked the most hours?

Family Background

Were you raised in a single parent household?

Are either of your parents a graduate of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine?

If your parents are graduates of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, please list their name(s) and graduation year(s). Enter N/A if your parents are not Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Alumni. (100 Characters)

Are any of your relatives Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff?

If you have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff, please list their name(s). Enter N/A if you do not have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff. (100 Characters)

Application Background

Is this your first medical school application cycle?

Have you applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle?

If you have applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle, please indicate the year(s) of your previous application(s). Enter N/A if this is your first application to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. (100 Characters)

Short Answer Questions

Has there been/will there be a gap between achieving your bachelor’s degree and expected matriculation into medical school?

If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school?

If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If you have attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school, as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O., please list the name of the school and explain the reason for separation. Enter N/A if you have not attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O. (500 Characters)

Do you have a connection to any of the following? Please select all that are applicable

If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

Briefly describe any effect the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has had on your application (i.e. delayed MCAT, withdrawn courses, online coursework, pass/fail grading, etc.). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

For the following short answer questions were they simply yes or no type answers? The reason I ask is because you didn't post any sort of character count next to these questions in comparison to the other questions posted. Thank you.

1. Has there been/will there be a gap between achieving your bachelor’s degree and expected matriculation into medical school?
2. Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school?

I'm a career changer in my mid-thirties. That seemed to constitute "non-traditional" in my mind. I think the question exists because there is not a clear definition or consensus in med ed (or really higher ed in general). Some consider it a gap year, some relate it to age, some to circumstances/conditions along the path or background characteristics, some might consider it a non-science major or interest in other fields prior to arriving at medicine. If you identify as non-traditional, it's your chance to explain why.

Just to confirm, for the "if you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain" question, it is meant for actual ties to the school or state and not like a space to write a why us essay right?

Just to confirm, for the "if you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain" question, it is meant for actual ties to the school or state and not like a space to write a why us essay right?
yep

Did anyone else get like duplicate 12 emails from them when they sent out the secondaries?

Reactions: 3 users
I identify as "non-traditional" because A) my major is not a STEM major and I have a "first" career B) I am a parent C) There is 8 years between my graduating with a bachelors and matriculating to medical school D) I've qualified as an independent student for 8+ years, etc. In my opinion, taking time off doesn't really qualify you as "non-traditional," but like someone said, it's really up to you how you want to answer it. Just be aware that your interviewers are going to want to know why you answered that way, and saying "I didn't apply to grad school right away" won't be a sufficient answer. It's what you did in that time they'll want to know about.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you all think they will start sending II next week?